Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The Giroud ending is perfect and had me in stitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jason Sextro posted:

How the hell does that book have four-star and five-star reviews?

http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-sues-alleged-reviews-for-pay-sites/

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Homework Explainer posted:

i have some good news for everyone, there's an entire book of these

http://www.amazon.com/Want-Be-Like-J%C3%BCrgen-Klopp-ebook/dp/B017GBLFYA

mods rename me Bayern Münich

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

people using the double dots because they think it makes them look smarter are loving unreal

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

straight up brolic posted:

people using the double dots because they think it makes them look smarter are loving unreal

same with ponces that call them colons and not double dots. and garages rather than car holes

e. oh wait you mean umlauts but my point still stands

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

same with ponces that call them colons and not double dots. and garages rather than car holes

e. oh wait you mean umlauts but my point still stands

right thread

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

people spelling it oezil are worse than people spelling it özil

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

it's always arsenal fans

I found a great quote when I, without any goal, just lazily googled around (which I too often do). Do you want to hear? No? I'll tell it anyway, and I do it with joy: "This world is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel".

Why is it good? Why has the British writer Horace Walpole, who has been dead for a couple of hundred years, managed to capture my interest? Because the quote rings true. At least for me. The more I think, the easier I have to see the humor in Arsène Wenger's nervousness. The more I feel, the easier I become annoyed with those who see the humor in Arsene Wenger's nervousness.

Football and love are two areas where I more often feel rather than think, where I take strange decision, and reach emotional states that I didn’t know I had. This means that I suffer when I watch my Arsenal, with other people who don’t care as much as I do. Those who think instead of feel. Those who laughs when Per Mertesacker slip, those who mock Mikel Arteta perfect hairstyle. Right there and then, I hate these people enormously.

I think I have come to the realization that there will always be this way: that I will always be an emotional wreck when Arsenal play. I don’t know if it is always healthy, but I have a feeling that it sometimes can be useful to switch between emotions - to exploit the full emotional spectrum, which can often be severely underutilized in human beings. When the match is over, the grieving process begins, but during the game all feelings are allowed. Even crying (when Thierry Henry made his comeback for Arsenal in January 2012 and scored against Leeds in the FA Cup tears came, totally unexpected, which I don’t seem entirely comfortable with telling you guys, so therefore it pops up in this parenthesis rather than in the real text).

I know how non-football people, "normal" people, look at this. They think I'm ridiculous. But I think like this: if you have children, you understand how other parents are feeling. Right? And when your child, a little bit clumsy, walks into a door and starts crying, you obviously don’t laugh even though you from on an intellectual viewpoint can see the humor in the situation (and perhaps wish that you had captured the incident on video and could send it to one of these bloopers shows on TV). It works exactly the same way with football supporters. And I don’t mean supporters like my brother that once every six months watch a match with Liverpool, and only discuss them when they are playing like they did the spring 2014. He’s a non-committed dad in that way. He doesn’t care about the team's development, crises, all the interesting stuff that only one who looks really carefully can see – he just want to be part of the fun when there is fun to be part of. He isn’t like many of us who have daily contact with our children, i.e. our favorite club; we who update us about injuries, and watch all sorts of interviews to get a better feel for how the atmosphere is among the players. We, the committed parents (I really don’t think I can stretch this analogy further now…).

How you relate to football are obviously individually and as Buddha said: “Nothing is better or worse than the other”. But I always try to argue for friends, family, and really every person I encounter, the interesting thing that happens when you truly surrenders to a team; to this strange emotional roller coaster, where you let a bunch of strangers decide how you will feel in the near future. I know how that sounds, it sounds so drat irrational.

But that's also the beauty of loving a team: to decide that at least once a week to feel rather than think; not to reflect or ridicule the feelings that arise, but just dive into the sensations that occur when Olivier Giroud receive the ball with a too heavy touch and see where they take you.

How you relate to football are obviously individually and as Buddha said

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Bogan Krkic posted:

but more correct than people spelling it ozil

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Olivier Girouds heavy touch

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Barça

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Bogan Krkic posted:

Is the source of this you or did you find that somewhere else?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Suqit posted:

Bärçü

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Insanely Sikh posted:

How you relate to football are obviously individually and as Buddha said

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it's always arsenal fans

I found a great quote when I, without any goal, just lazily googled around (which I too often do). Do you want to hear? No? I'll tell it anyway, and I do it with joy: "This world is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel".

Why is it good? Why has the British writer Horace Walpole, who has been dead for a couple of hundred years, managed to capture my interest? Because the quote rings true. At least for me. The more I think, the easier I have to see the humor in Arsène Wenger's nervousness. The more I feel, the easier I become annoyed with those who see the humor in Arsene Wenger's nervousness.

Football and love are two areas where I more often feel rather than think, where I take strange decision, and reach emotional states that I didn’t know I had. This means that I suffer when I watch my Arsenal, with other people who don’t care as much as I do. Those who think instead of feel. Those who laughs when Per Mertesacker slip, those who mock Mikel Arteta perfect hairstyle. Right there and then, I hate these people enormously.

I think I have come to the realization that there will always be this way: that I will always be an emotional wreck when Arsenal play. I don’t know if it is always healthy, but I have a feeling that it sometimes can be useful to switch between emotions - to exploit the full emotional spectrum, which can often be severely underutilized in human beings. When the match is over, the grieving process begins, but during the game all feelings are allowed. Even crying (when Thierry Henry made his comeback for Arsenal in January 2012 and scored against Leeds in the FA Cup tears came, totally unexpected, which I don’t seem entirely comfortable with telling you guys, so therefore it pops up in this parenthesis rather than in the real text).

I know how non-football people, "normal" people, look at this. They think I'm ridiculous. But I think like this: if you have children, you understand how other parents are feeling. Right? And when your child, a little bit clumsy, walks into a door and starts crying, you obviously don’t laugh even though you from on an intellectual viewpoint can see the humor in the situation (and perhaps wish that you had captured the incident on video and could send it to one of these bloopers shows on TV). It works exactly the same way with football supporters. And I don’t mean supporters like my brother that once every six months watch a match with Liverpool, and only discuss them when they are playing like they did the spring 2014. He’s a non-committed dad in that way. He doesn’t care about the team's development, crises, all the interesting stuff that only one who looks really carefully can see – he just want to be part of the fun when there is fun to be part of. He isn’t like many of us who have daily contact with our children, i.e. our favorite club; we who update us about injuries, and watch all sorts of interviews to get a better feel for how the atmosphere is among the players. We, the committed parents (I really don’t think I can stretch this analogy further now…).

How you relate to football are obviously individually and as Buddha said: “Nothing is better or worse than the other”. But I always try to argue for friends, family, and really every person I encounter, the interesting thing that happens when you truly surrenders to a team; to this strange emotional roller coaster, where you let a bunch of strangers decide how you will feel in the near future. I know how that sounds, it sounds so drat irrational.

But that's also the beauty of loving a team: to decide that at least once a week to feel rather than think; not to reflect or ridicule the feelings that arise, but just dive into the sensations that occur when Olivier Giroud receive the ball with a too heavy touch and see where they take you.

What trhe heck

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's Özil. this is his name. another way of writing "ö" is "oe," that's why people correctly write oezil if they don't have an ö key.

writing ozil is dumb, because o and ö are a minimal pair, i.e. they are totally different letters and sounds. it's like writing roney instead of rooney because you are too lazy to type two o's.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

oliwan posted:

it's Özil. this is his name. another way of writing "ö" is "oe," that's why people correctly write oezil if they don't have an ö key.

writing ozil is dumb, because o and ö are a minimal pair, i.e. they are totally different letters and sounds. it's like writing roney instead of rooney because you are too lazy to type two o's.

Right thread

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I only use the English alphabet because doing any more than that is too much work.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

blue footed boobie posted:

I only use the English alphabet because doing any more than that is too much work.

Get a Mac.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Suqit posted:

Get a Mac.

Right thread

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

oliwan posted:

lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

funny foreign letters are dumb and stupid in the opinion of me, a soccer watching idiot

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

oliwan posted:

that homegrown

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

oliwan posted:

hahaha

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
GG rename me Wayne Roney tia

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ninpo posted:

GG rename me Wayne Roney tia

Wayne Röney imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
GG rename me Michael Öwen

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Ninpo posted:

GG rename me minimal pair

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Wayne Röney imo
Wayne Rööney

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
So this is just a tongue in cheek but seeing PSV, Gent, Dynamo Kiev, Chelsea etc. going through the next round of the CL surely highlights how poor European football scene is on the whole. At least that's partly the criticism that's been levelled at this years PL.

I remember the CL back in the day(even until 2010) was much more exciting in terms of number of teams(6-8) who could realistically win it. Nowadays it's just Barca, Bayern, Real...everyone else.

Am I wrong? Thoughts.

united fans are the absolute best

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The second paragraph is correct though :eng99:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

not not luvd posted:

So this is just a tongue in cheek but seeing PSV, Gent, Dynamo Kiev, Chelsea etc. going through the next round of the CL surely highlights how poor European football scene is on the whole. At least that's partly the criticism that's been levelled at this years PL.

I remember the CL back in the day(even until 2010) was much more exciting in terms of number of teams(6-8) who could realistically win it. Nowadays it's just Barca, Bayern, Real...everyone else.

Am I wrong? Thoughts.

united fans are the absolute best

nothing wrong with this

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

not not luvd posted:

Am I wrong? Thoughts.

One of those 3 teams will win it, and that's how it's going to be for several years to come so he's not completely wrong.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

also soccer is really bad because their main metric of the quality of a team is the number of shots they do

not scoring, because you only have a ~10% chance to convert a score, but number of times you almost reach the goal but whoops the goalie is there

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

lol that guy is such a loving retard he's one of my worst posters. He's posted before about how many sports are better than football because they have higher scores, someone should introduce him to darts it'd blow his mind.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Haisley just unleashed a 332-word sentence:

quote:

These rules, as so coherently laid out above, will certainly help grow the league by facilitating the introduction of new players of a higher quality, being as their salaries will be higher than what is currently allowed by the salary cap, and while a cynic may ask why they don’t simply open the market up and either greatly expand the existing cap or get rid of it all together, which would negate the need for these overlong and partially misleading rules (all of this is money can be used, it doesn’t have to be, and as evidenced by the existing Designated Player and TAM rules which are utilized to vastly different degrees from team to team now, there’s no reason to expect each team to actually “invest” these funds to the maximum allotted levels) and then answer his own question by pointing out how the money, if unused, eventually reverts back to “the league” a.k.a. the various franchise owners as a whole who themselves share ownership of MLS, rendering that $37 million figure if not wholly illusory then at least highly speculative and exaggerated, and subsequently posit that the real goal of the ever-changing rule book is to continually obfuscate the processes that allegedly constrain the centrally controlled league’s behavior, adding in clause after technicality after loophole until no one really knows why moves happen the way they do and no one can complain when, say, Clint Dempsey lands exactly where the league office wants him, or when that same club can now offer a salary high enough to sign a potential star homegrown player, like Stanford’s Jordan Morris, to ensure that their preferred markets stay competitive without ever facing the market pressures of any of the other top leagues they keep promising to contend with Very Soon Now, Just You Wait, that would entail specious reasoning that, if included in one big string of words, would be no more clear or concise than the rules he so cynically sought to lambaste.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I honestly can't physically read that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

I honestly can't physically read that.
I couldn't do it either. I resorted to plugging it into Word and searching for periods to see if he actually had a second sentence somewhere in that pile of poo poo. Nope!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Billy Haisley posted:

when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Wrong thread.