Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

No, it would simply turn some fatal shots into non-fatal shots. It's not as if police officers in America need much justification for lethal force, when compared to the justification required in western Europe.

There would be more "shots" period. And since we'd be calling it something short of lethal force, they'd be quick to use in in circumstances where a baton, taser or (now I'm really taking off on flights of fancy) verbal de-escalation would be more appropriate. It gives latitude in judgment to American cops, and they've proven that they can't handle that.

e: beaten by DV on the last page:

Discendo Vox posted:

Because the effect of introducing a leg shot policy is to expand the total set of situations in which police open fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The other risk is that cases of fatal shootings would now have further leeway to excuse the deaths as an accident, an inevitable part of the risk of using your gun for non-lethal wounds. Again, the changes in policing, corruption, and the court system having a pro-police bias that would allow for American cops to safely be trusted to use their gun as a safe alternative to tasing or beanbags would likely be such an incredible improvement in American policing as to make that leg shooting redundant.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Discendo Vox posted:

Because the effect of introducing a leg shot policy is to expand the total set of situations in which police open fire.

No, it doesn't. You'd only use this technique if you were otherwise going to shoot to kill.

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly what ammo are you using for this? There's a huge variety of defensive ammo in use by police around the country with widely varying penetration. Lucky Gunner did a very good series of charts detailing their penetration tests of over 100 common defense rounds for .380 ACP, 9x19mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Even among 9mm rounds (which are the highest velocity being tested), most of them were 18 inches or less of penetration. This is sufficient to reach the vital organs after passing through someone's arms and thick clothing, but that's about it. The bullets that exit the body will be coming out at very low velocities. The bullets that had massive overpenetration were generally faulty designs that failed to expand (usually from the hollow point being clogged with clothing).

On the other hand, shots that just plain miss will retain lethal velocity for well over 100 yards if they don't hit anything along the way, and shots that miss the legs and hit the ground at an angle can easily ricochet off and fly behind the target.

I don't give a gently caress about ballistics or any of that poo poo, beyond the fact that most rounds that most officers shoot around the world will still be lethal even if they have hit their target first.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Radbot posted:

No, it doesn't. You'd only use this technique if you were otherwise going to shoot to kill.
That's obviously the ideal policy, but in reality introducing this policy means that at least one person is going to go for a leg shot when they weren't otherwise going to shoot to kill. From there the only question is "Are there more shootings incorrectly escalated to leg shots than (correctly executed leg shots - extra bystanders shot by missing a trickier target)?" Other countries have demonstrated it's at least possible to balance that equation, but I'd expect anyone proposing it for the US (across thousands of individual jurisdictions) to have a detailed plan before being taken seriously.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

twodot posted:

That's obviously the ideal policy, but in reality introducing this policy means that at least one person is going to go for a leg shot when they weren't otherwise going to shoot to kill. From there the only question is "Are there more shootings incorrectly escalated to leg shots than (correctly executed leg shots - extra bystanders shot by missing a trickier target)?" Other countries have demonstrated it's at least possible to balance that equation, but I'd expect anyone proposing it for the US (across thousands of individual jurisdictions) to have a detailed plan before being taken seriously.

And yet, it works in Europe. I'm OK with having one extra person shot in the leg in the current US policing environment, where people are routinely killed for contempt of cop. And if there's a bystander around, I'm OK with not shooting to disable.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Radbot posted:

I don't give a gently caress about ballistics or any of that poo poo, beyond the fact that most rounds that most officers shoot around the world will still be lethal even if they have hit their target first.
Since you don't give a gently caress about ballistics, do you have any non-ballistics basis for this assertion?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

And yet, it works in Europe. I'm OK with having one extra person shot in the leg in the current US policing environment, where people are routinely killed for contempt of cop. And if there's a bystander around, I'm OK with not shooting to disable.

Yes, we are attempting to point out the fundamental difference between police in Europe and America. American cops are trained to be brutal and to kill. They shouldn't be trusted to use a gun to do anything other than prevent themselves from being killed.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Discendo Vox posted:

No it does not. That's the point of the examples - they're all situations where US cops would shoot to kill under current policies.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Look, you don't shoot to disable unless you still have time to shoot to kill if that fails to work. If you don't have to shoot to kill right now then you shouldn't be shooting at all. Do we see a lot of cases of American cops shooting at the very fuzzy border of "they can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt I didn't have to shoot so I'm going to shoot"? Yes, absolutely, and we need to reform things so they're not shooting at all, not codify that behavior as good practice as long as they shoot to wound.

Also your statement about JHPs that hit a target center mass being as dangerous to bystanders as stray missed shots is so ludicrously wrong that it's hard to take anything you say about firearms tactics seriously. They pretty much require a defective round and a ton of luck to pass through the target and even if they do they won't retain enough energy to do much damage to anything.

Edit: also I'm just as guilty as anyone but aren't shoot to wound derails a banned topic in this thread? Maybe we should all just agree to disagree and move on without waiting for mom and dad to come yell at us.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 7, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Ornedan posted:

No it does not. That's the point of the examples - they're all situations where US cops would shoot to kill under current policies.

It's worth noting that the examples provided don't indicate that limb wounds were the product of an intentional policy of aiming at the limb.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The discussion of leg shots and warning shots is fascinating and all, but is there any interest in the fact that the US Dept. of Justice today announced they are investigating the Chicago PD with respect to their use of force among other things?

Kind of a bigger entity than the Ferguson PD. Any chance of this resulting in changes in police practices, in Chicago and elsewhere, as a long term result? It is kind of serving notice that the DOJ is paying attention to all this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zwabu posted:

The discussion of leg shots and warning shots is fascinating and all, but is there any interest in the fact that the US Dept. of Justice today announced they are investigating the Chicago PD with respect to their use of force among other things?

Kind of a bigger entity than the Ferguson PD. Any chance of this resulting in changes in police practices, in Chicago and elsewhere, as a long term result? It is kind of serving notice that the DOJ is paying attention to all this.

Or speaking of Chicago, how it has been confirmed that different police reports directly contradict the evidence in the McDonald killing, but shocking to no one, there've been little to no followup from police.

quote:

Police officers who watched a colleague shoot a black Chicago teenager 16 times filed reports depicting a very different version of events than what dashcam footage showed, portraying the teen as far more menacing than he appeared in the video.

The city released hundreds of pages of documents late Friday pertaining to the October 2014 killing of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald by Jason Van Dyke, a white police officer. Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder last month, only hours before the department released the video under a court order, sparking protests and accusations of a cover-up.
In the newly released police reports, several officers including Van Dyke and his partner described McDonald as aggressively approaching officers while armed with a knife. At least three other officers, including his partner, supported key details in Van Dyke's portrayal of events.

The officers' version, recorded in more than 300 pages of handwritten and typed reports, prompted police supervisors to rule at the time that McDonald's death was a justifiable homicide and within the use of force guidelines, even though the dashcam video also was available to them shortly after the shooting.

Van Dyke told an investigator McDonald was "swinging the knife in an aggressive, exaggerated manner" and "raised the knife across the chest" and pointed it at Van Dyke, according to one report. Multiple officers reported that even after McDonald was down, he kept trying to rise while holding the knife.

"In defense of his life, Van Dyke backpedaled and fired his handgun at McDonald, to stop the attack," one report reads. "McDonald fell to the ground but continued to move and continued to grasp the knife, refusing to let go of it."

Van Dyke told an investigator he feared McDonald would rush him with the knife or launch it at him. He also noted a 2012 Chicago Police Department warning about a knife capable of firing a bullet, according to the reports. The reports included a copy of the warning issued by an unidentified "Midwest intelligence organization" that was circulated to officers.

(http://abc13.com/news/chicago-cops-versions-of-teens-killing-appear-to-contradict-video/1111211/)

Yup, that's right, they ruled the killing a "good shoot" without even looking at the dashcam evidence.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Well Cleveland agreed back in 04, from an earlier Clinton investigation, (iirc) not to shoot at cars unless there was immediate threat to life, then shot 137 bullets into a car after a chase so no, not really. Similar situation in Miami and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume others have regressed too. Doesn't help that Bush basically ignored the DOJ's ability to investigate civil rights abuses with teeth and if a republican president is elected the current trend of having them will likely go away as well.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 7, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

Or speaking of Chicago, how it has been confirmed that different police reports directly contradict the evidence in the McDonald killing, but shocking to no one, there've been little to no followup from police.

Yup, that's right, they ruled the killing a "good shoot" without even looking at the dashcam evidence.

They had a warning out for a gunblade?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Trabisnikof posted:

And apparently we now have to fear the sword-gun. Thanks, Sqenix.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
man i thought i was gonna be clever and post about FF8 gunblades but yall nerds too fast :mad:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There really are knives that can fire bullets, but except for one or two Russian special forces knives that you'd be hard pressed to get your hands on they're all just homemade zip guns. Being afraid of a knife because it might shoot you is like being afraid of a pen or a pipe for the same reason.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

It's worth noting that the examples provided don't indicate that limb wounds were the product of an intentional policy of aiming at the limb.

So, to use the Denmark numbers as an example, hitting 51 people with 66 shots and wounding (rather than killing) 75% of them is just a big coincidence? And even if it that is just an accidental result rather than intentional policy, awesome, what can we do to get closer to those results?

e: Adjusting those Danish numbers for population would correspond to US police shooting at about 3,750 people and hitting ~3,000 of them, with only ~625 ending up dead. That alone would actually be an improvement on single year stats for American police, but that's actually a decade's worth of data from Denmark.

chitoryu12 posted:

The German chart from earlier had incidents where suspects were shot and wounded, but survived (including suspects who were actively shooting at the police or victims). Combined with the low number of kills in comparison, this suggests that German police only fire until the shooter stops shooting and then delivers prompt medical attention instead of handcuffing their bleeding body.

This seems like a good idea and was one of the suggestions originally offered in response to the San Francisco shooting, and is not mutually exclusive with disabling shots escalating to shots aimed to kill. Who are the people arguing for the current policy of a mag-dump as soon as a cop gets jumpy?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 8, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So, to use the Denmark numbers as an example, hitting 51 people with 66 shots and wounding (rather than killing) 75% of them is just a big coincidence? And even if it that is just an accidental result rather than intentional policy, awesome, what can we do to get closer to those results?

The German chart from earlier had incidents where suspects were shot and wounded, but survived (including suspects who were actively shooting at the police or victims). Combined with the low number of kills in comparison, this suggests that German police only fire until the shooter stops shooting and then delivers prompt medical attention instead of handcuffing their bleeding body.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

While I think European police are generally better then their american counterparts I don't think we're comparing apples to apples here. That Danish data makes it sound like no officers faced a single firearm at all that year (I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that since that Danish report includes all incidents when a weapon was pulled a Danish cop would have pulled their weapon if they were shot at). Meanwhile in the US using the latest available FBI LEOKA data we have have states like Alaska with less then 1/5 the population of Denmark at 26 assaults on an officer with a firearm (so say 130 adjusted), Colorado with a slightly higher population at 98, Arizona with about 7/5ths of the population at 217. The US also has 16x the firearm homicide rate of Denmark.

US policing is not as dangerous as its made out to be, but its a lot more dangerous then policing in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u..._group_2013.xls

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Jarmak posted:

but its a lot more dangerous then policing in Europe.
Why even shoot at danish police? It's not like they're going to shoot you in the back while you flee, better to focus on doing that. Seriously, maybe it isn't such a good idea to make sure that everyone is, deep down, deathly afraid of cops.
Stats are always fun to look at though. That firearm homicide rate is despite the overall homicide rate only being 5.5x higher.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Jarmak posted:

While I think European police are generally better then their american counterparts I don't think we're comparing apples to apples here. That Danish data makes it sound like no officers faced a single firearm at all that year (I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that since that Danish report includes all incidents when a weapon was pulled a Danish cop would have pulled their weapon if they were shot at). Meanwhile in the US using the latest available FBI LEOKA data we have have states like Alaska with less then 1/5 the population of Denmark at 26 assaults on an officer with a firearm (so say 130 adjusted), Colorado with a slightly higher population at 98, Arizona with about 7/5ths of the population at 217. The US also has 16x the firearm homicide rate of Denmark.

US policing is not as dangerous as its made out to be, but its a lot more dangerous then policing in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u..._group_2013.xls

The point is that US police shoot to kill when they're explicitly not faced with a firearm, as in the case of that crying black dude who was executed by 14 officers in broad daylight for not obeying orders. That guy had a knife. They knew that, because he had stabbed somebody. These are the cases that show how badly US police handle themselves when compared to their more civilized counterparts.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Update on the statistice from earlier: The guy wrote me back, but didn't say much overall. Training shots are not included in the larger shots fired number, so most of them are probably animals. There is no statistic for legshots, to the best of his knowledge. The source for the statistics is not public, but he told me where I can ask for tha data. That's probably not necessary though, since according to him, the raw data doesn't say much more than his version anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

botany posted:

Update on the statistice from earlier: The guy wrote me back, but didn't say much overall. Training shots are not included in the larger shots fired number, so most of them are probably animals. There is no statistic for legshots, to the best of his knowledge. The source for the statistics is not public, but he told me where I can ask for tha data. That's probably not necessary though, since according to him, the raw data doesn't say much more than his version anyway.

There may also be cases where the perpetrator was wounded but the officer wasn't intentionally shooting for a limb, and just happened to hit.

Also, I'm trying to find an isolated video of a shooting that was included in a compilation of police shootings. It was an extremely obese man outside what looked like a Home Depot at night attacking someone with a knife. An officer attempted to beat him with the baton but failed to disarm or subdue him, so immediately returned to pointing a gun at him and screaming to drop the knife. When the man began slowly walking toward the store, the officer stepped in front of him and began shooting. He would pause after firing several rounds, see that the attacker had not fallen, then began firing again. This continued multiple times until nearly his entire magazine was fired into him. He didn't make any further demands to surrender between shootings.

It didn't seem like he had any intention of letting the perpetrator surrender after being shot, and his goal was to fire until the target actually collapsed.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

chitoryu12 posted:

It didn't seem like he had any intention of letting the perpetrator surrender after being shot, and his goal was to fire until the target actually collapsed.
It seems a little unreasonable to assume that the guy getting shot after repeated warnings to stop stabbing people didn't understand the message of being shot multiple times and that another warning to stop being a lunatic would have helped.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It seems a little unreasonable to assume that the guy getting shot after repeated warnings to stop stabbing people didn't understand the message of being shot multiple times and that another warning to stop being a lunatic would have helped.

No attempt was made to find out after the first volley of shots except a single "DROP IT!" with a pause of less than a second after before continuing to shoot. It seems like the officer was dedicated to shooting until the target was on the ground, whether or not a less damaging amount of gunfire would have stopped him. For the record, the guy being shot wasn't continuing to advance on anyone with the blade during the shooting and spent most of it stumbling away from the bullets.

This is the compilation featuring the video, beginning at 1:12. There's also some justifiable shoots in there (two made a fast draw of a gun and aimed it at officers immediately before being shot), but the first one has the bizarre attempt by the police to demand that the man currently bleeding to death on the ground show them his hands and then handcuffing him without beginning medical treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzEysZObe4Y

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 8, 2015

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
The talk of excessive lethal force makes me think of the London police response to the murder of Lee Rigby - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lee_Rigby#Attack

After hacking off a dude's head, two terrorist wannabes threatened bystanders and waited for police to arrive. They then charged the police armed with a (broken) revolver and a machete. They both survived - they were shot at 8 times, but afterwards were given prompt care. There were no leg shots or shots to wound - they were lucky to survive the first volley. After that, the police stopped shooting as they were no longer a threat.

In lighter news stolen from the relevant thread, a Secret Service agent just got six years for... well:

quote:

But perhaps Bridges' most paradoxical moment came when his duties involving White House security seemingly overlapped with his desire for bitcoins.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

the first one has the bizarre attempt by the police to demand that the man currently bleeding to death on the ground show them his hands and then handcuffing him without beginning medical treatment.
Well, the guy had literally just pulled a gun and tried to kill them, then fallen to the ground still holding it, so I can see why they might want to make sure they had him under control before setting him up with an IV. The officer on the radio calls for EMS as part of his "shots fired" call, and at 1:03, maybe 30 seconds after the gunfire, you can hear him direct one of the other officers to "get the EMS bag" and the two of them hustle out of frame right before the cut, so I don't know why you think the suspect didn't get prompt medical attention.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, the guy had literally just pulled a gun and tried to kill them, then fallen to the ground still holding it, so I can see why they might want to make sure they had him under control before setting him up with an IV. The officer on the radio calls for EMS as part of his "shots fired" call, and at 1:03, maybe 30 seconds after the gunfire, you can hear him direct one of the other officers to "get the EMS bag" and the two of them hustle out of frame right before the cut, so I don't know why you think the suspect didn't get prompt medical attention.

I missed that quote. My mistake.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Daniel Holtzclaw (white cop accused of raping 13 black women) convicted of some stuff, acquitted of others.

20 years for forcible oral sodomy
not guilty of rape
16 years for forcible oral sodomy
30 years for rape
etc. etc.

so jury at least believed some of the victims, I guess

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

http://gawker.com/daniel-holtzclaw-former-oklahoma-city-cop-found-guilt-1747453998

Here's a 6 miniute video oh him being read the verdict if your into that

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

http://gawker.com/daniel-holtzclaw-former-oklahoma-city-cop-found-guilt-1747453998

Here's a 6 miniute video oh him being read the verdict if your into that

Watched every second of it. His pathetic crying made me happy. I hope he gets all 263 years with no possibility of parol.

Khorre
Jan 28, 2009
“He was aggressive, he was vigilant, and he was honest,” Adams said. “Without people like Daniel Holtzclaw patrolling the streets, what are we?” According to BuzzFeed, a woman in the gallery responded: “Safe.”
:drat:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Watched every second of it. His pathetic crying made me happy. I hope he gets all 263 years with no possibility of parol.

Yeah the statements by some of the victims were staggering. He was basically raping poor black woman with criminal records every chance he got, and many of them were too afraid to go public and face police harassment (he'd also show up at their houses and demand sexual favors days later) and it was a 50+ year old black woman he orally raped that immediately reported it as soon as she could, and suddenly several of his victims came forward to make statements.

He was also pretty heavily insulated via his family connections

quote:

Holtzclaw was a star middle linebacker on the Eastern Michigan University football team and graduated with a degree in criminal justice. His father is a lieutenant on the Enid Police Department, the family said. He is also the brother-in-law of a law enforcement officer, The Oklahoman reported.

In all, Holtzclaw faced 36 charges, including burglary, stalking, indecent exposure, sexual battery, forcible oral sodomy and rape.

The case began after one woman came forward and accused Holtzclaw of "sexual impropriety" during a traffic stop, Oklahoma City police Capt. Dexter Nelson told CNN last year.

So it's pretty much a testament to how many women he assaulted that this case even got off the ground. It wasn't like a handful of times, he probably assaulted dozens if not hundreds of women. Most of them were drug offenders or had arrests for prostitution and the defense's argument was "oh well these women are drug users"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pentyne posted:

Yeah the statements by some of the victims were staggering. He was basically raping poor black woman with criminal records every chance he got, and many of them were too afraid to go public and face police harassment (he'd also show up at their houses and demand sexual favors days later) and it was a 50+ year old black woman he orally raped that immediately reported it as soon as she could, and suddenly several of his victims came forward to make statements.

Yeah, this dude was complete scum, and I am glad he is off the streets.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
It's likely there are other victims who didn't come forward as well

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?
http://www.actionnewsnow.com/news/da-plays-dash-cam-video-in-accidental-shooting-no-charges-will-be-filed/

quote:

The Paradise police officer who investigators say accidentally shot a suspected DUI driver in the neck last month will not face criminal charges, Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey announced Thursday.

Ramsey said the evidence in this case shows the shooting to be accidental, and possibly negligent, but not criminally so. “This shooting is not justified, but also not criminal."

Paradise Police Officer Patrick Feaster, a five year veteran of the department, was parked on the Skyway around midnight Thanksgiving morning, when he saw a Toyota Four-Runner speeding out of the Canteena Bar parking lot without headlights on.

Feaster followed in his patrol car, as the Toyota ran a red light and turned onto Pearson Road where the driver, 26-year-old Andrew Thomas struck the median and flipped, ejecting his 23-year-old wife Darien Ehorn from the vehicle. Ehorn was killed in the crash.

Ramsey said Feaster drew his gun when Thomas “popped” out of the car, believing he would flee. As Officer Feaster moved towards Thomas, the gun discharged and struck Thomas in the neck. The shot hit Thomas in the C7 and T1 vertebrae and could lead to him being paralyzed for life.

When backup arrived on the scene, Feaster did not mention anything about having fired his weapon. According to Ramsey, Feaster notified his commanding officer about the discharge only after Thomas’ gunshot wound was found.

As the commanding officer suggested an investigator return to Canteena and try to find out if Thomas had been shot at the bar, Feaster revealed that he may have shot Thomas.

Ramsey said nearly 11 minutes passed before any other officers, medics or firefighters learned Thomas had been shot.

Video is in the link, relevant stuff starts about :45 in, and it doesn't look good to me. Guy pops his head out, the cop draws, fires and puts his gun away calmly. Then decides to see how long he can keep the shoot a secret. But of course it doesn't rise to the level of criminal, according to the DA.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

He was trained to fire twice, so firing once means it was the gun's fault.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

“This shooting is not justified, but also not criminal."

Nice to see that police, yet again, have greater leeway in illegal murdering than civilians. Normally if I were to shoot someone unjustifiably, I would be in a prison cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

chitoryu12 posted:

“This shooting is not justified, but also not criminal."

Forgetting for the moment the mental pretzel of logic that justifies even drawing on someone who wrecked his car after running a red light because "he might flee" how in the gently caress is hoping nobody will notice he shot him in the neck not? Telling the EMTs and the hospital "Oh yeah btw he also has a bullet in his neck" is the kind of information that is kind of loving important for the people trying to save him.

• Locked thread