Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

kuf posted:

Should I be using dynamic contrast on my monitor at work? I do programming. I hate how the internet is full of #FFFFFF

I generally recommend against using dynamic contrast in any situation. Your brightness and color temperature may be set too high if you find it physically irritating to look at. Aim for 6500K and 150-200 cd/m^2--lower if you work in a dark room.

I do web development and this is part of the reason my text editor is black-on-white and programs like Photoshop and CSS debuggers are set to the lightest theme. Going between dark and light is too jarring for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Awesome, thanks!

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
gently caress. Got my PG279Q, and got a couple of clusters of dead pixels in areas of the screen I use frequently. They stay black, but when so many things are just solid white now... thats super noticable.

lol... poo poo as i was writing this, a couple more just died right next to this text. Croaking right in front of my eyes.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Syves posted:

gently caress. Got my PG279Q, and got a couple of clusters of dead pixels in areas of the screen I use frequently. They stay black, but when so many things are just solid white now... thats super noticable.

lol... poo poo as i was writing this, a couple more just died right next to this text. Croaking right in front of my eyes.

Are you sure it's actual pixels dying and not just roughly pixel-sized pieces of dust behind the LCD layer falling and landing there? When you move your head, do the black dots stay in the exact same place or do they parallax a little?

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
They sit still. but if i press the screen next to them, but not on them, the liquid crystal behind the dots flexes as well... so this is probably significant dust. the dead pixels i saw next to my text previously are not really doing anything. but they are drat near the center of my screen. I'm finishing supper and then having a chat with the fine folks at Amazon. See if they will do anything for me before I attempt the nightmare that is Asus.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
Crossfire purchased, because like everyone says, 4k requires a massive gpu for anything resembling quality (It works, but for gaming the tech just aint there yet. 4k@60fps is not worth $1200 in gpus to me, at least). At least I have a nice TV to replace my old 40" from 2008!

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
Also got My PG279Q from Amazon today. Same backlight bleed issues as the others reviewed and the upper half of the screen has a much warmer color temperature than the lower half. Manufactured in September. Back to Amazon it goes.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Amazon has more Predator x34s in stock today, and they ship from Amazon with Prime so they can be returned without a hassle.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zorilla posted:

Are you sure it's actual pixels dying and not just roughly pixel-sized pieces of dust behind the LCD layer falling and landing there? When you move your head, do the black dots stay in the exact same place or do they parallax a little?

Oh hey I have this exact issue, on a monitor I just got. I thought it was a dead pixel until this moment! Is there an approved method to fix that? I wouldn't care that much except that one speck is right at the center of the screen.

Trip report Asus PB258Q (25" 2560x1440, standard 60hz IPS), was $280 in the newegg cyber monday sale.

I'd been looking around for a while and was very interested in the dell U2515H, which has the same panel. But the price on those hasn't dropped below $350, and that's on amazon where I also have to add sales tax in my state. thanks newegg, it'll be our little secret The $100 difference was enough for me to roll the dice with Asus.

I quite like it, aside from that dust. Backlight bleed is acceptable, imperfect but not flawed. There's a bright area on the top edge that's noticeable with black screen / lights out, but not terribly visible otherwise. B+ (I also pretty much never use the PC in total darkness.) Color is uniform on an all white screen.

It feels like a nice monitor for someone who wants a good general-purpose IPS and doesn't feel the need for 144hz gaming screens. I'm liking the pixel density of 1440p on 25", the DPI isn't unmanageable. I do have good eyes though. And somehow I didn't realize that 2560x1440 is a 16:9 screen, until it arrived and I got it out of the box. I'm dumb.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FateFree posted:

Amazon has more Predator x34s in stock today, and they ship from Amazon with Prime so they can be returned without a hassle.

Goddammit

E: actually looks like it's not available to me, or they are already sold out via Prime. Regardless I have one on the way, time to see if I win the high stakes game of purchasing an Acer.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 8, 2015

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

KakerMix posted:

Goddammit

E: actually looks like it's not available to me, or they are already sold out via Prime. Regardless I have one on the way, time to see if I win the high stakes game of purchasing an Acer.

It's only high stakes if you bought it from a crappy place that you can't return it to.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Whoopsie, totally the wrong thread. There were boobs here.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 8, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Indubitably

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Teeter posted:

In-boobie-tably

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ThatOneGuy posted:

It's only high stakes if you bought it from a crappy place that you can't return it to.
To be fair, that's almost everywhere other than Amazon that's selling it. Either you pay return shipping, restocking fees, or they simply won't issue a RMA for backlight bleed or a few dead pixels.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DrDork posted:

To be fair, that's almost everywhere other than Amazon that's selling it. Either you pay return shipping, restocking fees, or they simply won't issue a RMA for backlight bleed or a few dead pixels.

When you look at it from the seller's side, it sounds like a giant pain in the rear end to deal with:

quote:

Unfortunately bleed, but some customers are expecting IPS screens to have perfect blacks, they do not and as such returning for it or under CCR. All returns are sold as B-grade and due to this were having to increase monitor margins as we simply make no money as we make losses when sold in B-grade, quite substancial ones.

So selling monitors at single digit margins we simply cannot do any more, we'd rather competitors get the business and then lose money having to sell them B-grade.

With more IPS monitors now than ever at affordable prices, the returns are higher and they all get B-graded, check our B-grade section, lots of monitors in there.

Some customers have gone through 5 monitors, returning them all due to backlight bleed on IPS, we make say 10% on the sale, but then lose 30% when we b-grade it. Cannot be sustained unfortunately.

Or the alternative is we charge customers for returning under CCR if they have clearly used the monitor preventing it being sold as new again, of upto 25%, but that would upset a lot of customers, so right now we lose money by b-grading them.

quote:

I suspect the monitor price increases at etailers across the board is coming from increased returns on CCR due to backlight bleed, some people have good reason, the bleed is beyond acceptable, others returning for IPS glow and doing it several times over.

We keep CCR restocking charges to an absolute minimum, but it means we end up with a huge amount of B-grade monitors sold a big losses to the company, so we either increase upfront margin to cover it or we start implementing more CCR restocking fees.

On another note we have also applied huge pressure on certain manufacturers to start taking returns on monitors for excessive bleed so the retailer is not the ones getting stung.

Beats me how amazon copes with it, other than just the fact that amazon is selling to everyone and tech enthusiast outlets are selling to more picky customers. Or maybe amazon has enough power to force all those returns back to to the manufacturers. (In which case a lot of them could be re-entering the sales chain again if they're actually passing QC.)

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Klyith posted:

Oh hey I have this exact issue, on a monitor I just got. I thought it was a dead pixel until this moment! Is there an approved method to fix that? I wouldn't care that much except that one speck is right at the center of the screen.

Sometimes a healthy smack to the back of the monitor housing will break the dust free so it falls below the visible bottom edge of the screen. Other times, it moves on its own (unless you really need it do--I wouldn't hold off a return in the hopes it goes away). Over the last two years, my Korean 27" monitor has had around 3 incidents where dust has shown up, then disappeared after anywhere between a couple days and a few weeks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Klyith posted:

Beats me how amazon copes with it, other than just the fact that amazon is selling to everyone and tech enthusiast outlets are selling to more picky customers. Or maybe amazon has enough power to force all those returns back to to the manufacturers. (In which case a lot of them could be re-entering the sales chain again if they're actually passing QC.)
Yeah, but also remember that in most places outside Europe (including the US) many places simply will not accept a return unless there's an egregious issue--IPS glow or backlight bleed? Too bad, gently caress off (or eat a restocking fee).

For Amazon, though, even if they can't force Acer to accept them back (and who knows if they can), there have yet to be any Used - Sold by Amazon ones popping up. But even if the did have to take a loss, Amazon would likely simply eat it in the short term to preserve customer satisfaction (they're big enough that they don't have to worry about losing a few bucks here and there), and if it's clearly unprofitable, simply freeze sales like they've done to the other Acer monitors in the past.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
When I got my UW there was IPS glow but because I knew that was a general thing from the reviews I was prepared to accept a bit, considering how good everything else was. Dead pixels, or panels coming adrift or whatever I might have returned it (Australian consumer law does give you some recourse) but it is a hell of a hassle returning things if you've bought it on mail order.

Adaptive sync did interest me but I got to the point where I decided I'd get more out of a ultrawide screen, and there seemed to be far less QC issues with that class of monitor, whether it was LG or Dell or AOC you were buying.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Massdrop has the LG 34" ultrawide (34UB67-B) for $440 and the 29" ultrawide (29UB67-B) for $310: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-29-or-34-ultra-widescreen-monitors (I think Massdrop makes you log in to view the deals, but basically it's a group buy website).

Is that the LG ultrawide that has been recommended in this thread a few times?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I wouldn't buy from anyone who doesn't consider malfunctioning pixels to be a fault.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Neurostorm posted:

Massdrop has the LG 34" ultrawide (34UB67-B) for $440 and the 29" ultrawide (29UB67-B) for $310: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-29-or-34-ultra-widescreen-monitors (I think Massdrop makes you log in to view the deals, but basically it's a group buy website).

Is that the LG ultrawide that has been recommended in this thread a few times?

I think everyone was recommending the curved one.

I don't know about that Massdrop though. For most things you're just trading a reasonable ship time and real customer service for maybe 10% off the price. Not worth it, especially for monitors where defects are high.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

People have been recommending the 34um95.

The 67 has a 1080 vertical resolution where as the 95 has a 1440 vertical resolution.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Okay I'm moving past the idea of 4k and looking at ultrawides. Can someone talk to me about the difference between the Acer Predator X34 and the as-yet-unreleased Predator Z35? I want something in that size range and I want G-Sync, and right now the X34 looks better? The Z35 is going to cost about the same when it comes out this month, but it's 2560x1080 vs the 3440x1440 of the X34. The Z35 is 144hz while the X34 is 60hz, so I find myself wondering if the higher resolution is worth the drop in framerate. I hear that the 100hz+ is amazing for gaming and well worth the change, but I've never used it before so I can't really imagine.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Richard M Nixon posted:

Okay I'm moving past the idea of 4k and looking at ultrawides. Can someone talk to me about the difference between the Acer Predator X34 and the as-yet-unreleased Predator Z35? I want something in that size range and I want G-Sync, and right now the X34 looks better? The Z35 is going to cost about the same when it comes out this month, but it's 2560x1080 vs the 3440x1440 of the X34. The Z35 is 144hz while the X34 is 60hz, so I find myself wondering if the higher resolution is worth the drop in framerate. I hear that the 100hz+ is amazing for gaming and well worth the change, but I've never used it before so I can't really imagine.

The x34 will probably be 75hz over lockable to 100hz like the Acer. No one has got a review sample of the Z35 so good luck with that.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

It comes down to whether you are more likely to notice an FPS difference from 100hz to 144 (or 200 or whatever) or 1080 vs 1440 vertical resolution? For me the resolution wins hands down.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

FateFree posted:

It comes down to whether you are more likely to notice an FPS difference from 100hz to 144 (or 200 or whatever) or 1080 vs 1440 vertical resolution? For me the resolution wins hands down.

How important is framerate relative to refresh rate? I got the impression that you want the two to be equal or it can cause problems. Isn't that why vsync and now adaptive sync is a thing? Does framerate in the hundreds even end up making a difference if I'm stuck at 60hz?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

There are a few key differences aside from the obvious resolution one. The native refresh rates of the two are 144Hz and 75Hz, but with GSync overclocking they're 200Hz and 100Hz respectively. The 200Hz screen will be noticeably smoother, but it is only really going to matter if you're really into source engine games or other games that you can get 100+ FPS in. It helps that it is 1080p instead of 1440p, you'll get massively higher frame rates using the 1080p screen.

The X34 is IPS-like (best colour reproduction, IPS glow), whereas the Z35 is MVA (middle of the round between IPS and TN as far as colour reproduction goes, but much nicer blacks and no IPS glow). The Z35 also has a much tighter curve, you'll notice it a lot more in use (or not notice it rather, which is the best effect a curve can have).

Which one to buy is a question I've been asking myself for months too. I recommend trying to see both in person before making a decision.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Received my Predator x34 tonight, a full 6 days earlier than scheduled so it's like I ordered it through Prime. Turns out I also seem to have (initially, at least) won the Acer lottery as I have no dead pixels, no dust, it overclocked up to 100hz no problem, and doesn't even have any horrible IPS glow. The stand was crooked a bit though, but I'm mounting it on an arm so I'm not bothered by it. 100hz up from 60hz is hugely noticeable even with general desktop use and I am forever tainted, I can not go back. As far as I can tell the Predator x34 is, indeed, my perfect monitor. I'd recommend it whole-hardheadedly.

edit

And even the LCD-lighted underglow thing it comes with. You can make it white and control the brightness between 5 levels. I appreciate the heck out of this weirdly enough as now my desk is evenly lit vs. the two lamps I have in either corner of the room.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 10, 2015

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BurritoJustice posted:

There are a few key differences aside from the obvious resolution one. The native refresh rates of the two are 144Hz and 75Hz, but with GSync overclocking they're 200Hz and 100Hz respectively. The 200Hz screen will be noticeably smoother, but it is only really going to matter if you're really into source engine games or other games that you can get 100+ FPS in. It helps that it is 1080p instead of 1440p, you'll get massively higher frame rates using the 1080p screen.

The X34 is IPS-like (best colour reproduction, IPS glow), whereas the Z35 is MVA (middle of the round between IPS and TN as far as colour reproduction goes, but much nicer blacks and no IPS glow). The Z35 also has a much tighter curve, you'll notice it a lot more in use (or not notice it rather, which is the best effect a curve can have).

Which one to buy is a question I've been asking myself for months too. I recommend trying to see both in person before making a decision.

I've decided my next display is probably going to be some flavor of *VA; I bought a nice 27-inch 1440p Dell a few years ago and the IPS glow is just infuriating. It bugs me literally every time I use the display.

I was reading about the curved Samsung displays, but I saw a comment from someone suggesting that they aren't as sharp due to using weird pixel shapes or something (!?!?!)

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
I am in the market for 2 monitors. The current monitors I am using were lent and now he wants them back.

My current set up is an i5 with a gtx 970 (not sure what I need to say about my build). The monitors I was using were dell p210h 20 inch. I would like to find something similar (really like the widescreen). My budget is roughly 50-100 for each monitor.

I play cs:go, the crew, minecraft, elite dangerous. When I'm not playing I do general browsing.

Just some clarification questions. Are LED monitors better than LCD and why? Most places Google show is in favor of LED but no "un biased" answer.

Thank you in advance.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fixit posted:

I am in the market for 2 monitors. The current monitors I am using were lent and now he wants them back.

My current set up is an i5 with a gtx 970 (not sure what I need to say about my build). The monitors I was using were dell p210h 20 inch. I would like to find something similar (really like the widescreen). My budget is roughly 50-100 for each monitor.

I play cs:go, the crew, minecraft, elite dangerous. When I'm not playing I do general browsing.

Just some clarification questions. Are LED monitors better than LCD and why? Most places Google show is in favor of LED but no "un biased" answer.

Thank you in advance.

All "LED Monitor" means is that it uses an LED as a backlight. Virtually all LCDs on the market use an LED backlight since the tech obsoleted CCFL backlights in about a year in every way including cost.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

SwissCM posted:

All "LED Monitor" means is that it uses an LED as a backlight. Virtually all LCDs on the market use an LED backlight since the tech obsoleted CCFL backlights in about a year in every way including cost.

Ah, so it makes no difference if I get an LCD or LED labeled monitor?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fixit posted:

Ah, so it makes no difference if I get an LCD or LED labeled monitor?

Well, there's a bit more variance than that. There's IPS, VA, TN, different refresh rates, different colour gamuts, input lag etc.

You might want to wait for someone a bit more informed of the low end market to post. A general idea of what to get is a 1920x1080 monitor that has an IPS panel and minimal input lag (less than 15ms).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fixit posted:

Are LED monitors better than LCD and why?
LED just refers to the backlights behind the LCD panel. Previously these used to be CCFL (basically a fluorescent tube light), LEDs have longer life and are more power efficient. At your budget level you may be better off avoiding LED LCD screens, because cheap LED lights sometimes have flicker at low brightness.

Fixit posted:

For games were you using both at once, or just put the game on one screen? Because if the latter you might be better off splitting your money unevenly -- under $200 for a pair of monitors is a very limited budget.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Klyith posted:

For games were you using both at once, or just put the game on one screen? Because if the latter you might be better off splitting your money unevenly -- under $200 for a pair of monitors is a very limited budget.

Used Dell screens are okay and can be had for ~$100. That might be worth looking into.

Another option is to save up and just get a 27" Crossover 2795QHD for ~$350, but I recommend that to basically everyone.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Klyith posted:

LED just refers to the backlights behind the LCD panel. Previously these used to be CCFL (basically a fluorescent tube light), LEDs have longer life and are more power efficient. At your budget level you may be better off avoiding LED LCD screens, because cheap LED lights sometimes have flicker at low brightness.

Just playing on one screen while the other was blank or showed skype calls or whatever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fixit posted:

Thank you in advance.

If you are willing to go up to $110 each you can get a pair of these which should be good. They are IPS so they will look nice and have both DVI and HDMI for connections so you should have no problem getting both of them connected no mater what ports your video card has.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Richard M Nixon posted:

How important is framerate relative to refresh rate? I got the impression that you want the two to be equal or it can cause problems. Isn't that why vsync and now adaptive sync is a thing? Does framerate in the hundreds even end up making a difference if I'm stuck at 60hz?

The point of adaptive is it doesn't matter. No matter how fast the frames come, it displays them as they happen. Also I'd go with the 3440x1440, but that's because I consider non-gaming use more heavily than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

xthetenth posted:

The point of adaptive is it doesn't matter. No matter how fast the frames come, it displays them as they happen. Also I'd go with the 3440x1440, but that's because I consider non-gaming use more heavily than most.

I hope that 3440 x 1440 comes in a bigger panel size one day like 2560 x 1440 eventually did.