Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Dammit I want this whole game already.

:allears:

For some reason I never get tired of reading 'Oh I'll just get the starter or two and see whats up' going to 'i bought everything'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm assuming most people don't stop at just everything. You need at least two or three of most things to play competitive lists.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BattleMaster posted:

If that's true then why even bother adding them to the game at all? Also, a majority of the ships are from EU sources where that happens

The thing about ordnance is, it's better for it to be useless than too good, because an ordnance dominated game would just be mad alpha strikes which would get really boring really fast.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm assuming most people don't stop at just everything. You need at least two or three of most things to play competitive lists.

I mean, if you want to run competitive lists but are okay with proxying then you really only need minor investments for certain lists. Falcon + a wingman like Poe is only gonna run you $30 outside of the core set for instance and isn't that bad, a friend of mine runs with that because he doesn't own anything else. If you have to have all the official printed everything then yeah, you're gonna wind up with an extensive collection.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
When using the mercenary co-pilot on a ship with the HLC, what comes first, the modification from the HLC or the co-pilot?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, if you want to run competitive lists but are okay with proxying then you really only need minor investments for certain lists. Falcon + a wingman like Poe is only gonna run you $30 outside of the core set for instance and isn't that bad, a friend of mine runs with that because he doesn't own anything else. If you have to have all the official printed everything then yeah, you're gonna wind up with an extensive collection.

I more mean in tournaments, and multiple lists. I just want to play all the things right now.

DJ Dizzy posted:

When using the mercenary co-pilot on a ship with the HLC, what comes first, the modification from the HLC or the co-pilot?

HLC is definitely first, and I think the Merc would then allow you to make one a crit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kai Tave posted:

Look, every X-Wing player opening a huge ship package

DJ Dizzy posted:

FAQ says:
After an attack is performed using Heavy Laser Cannon and all critical results are changed to hit results, the attack dice can be modified as normal. Any attack dice rerolled are not changed from critical results to hit results

Thus, the mod from Merc Co Pilot triggers after HLC, and if you use target lock to reroll the focus or blank results, any criticals that come up do not get the HLC bump from critical to regular hit.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 7, 2015

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The thing about ordnance is, it's better for it to be useless than too good, because an ordnance dominated game would just be mad alpha strikes which would get really boring really fast.

Having ordnance be more useful against big ships would be nice.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Madurai posted:

Yeah, the way big ships tend to work and the way ordnance works out, a homing missile is more points-efficient against Soontir Fel than it is against Han Solo. The best way to ding big ships other than brobots is to just spam 2-die attacks at them until they die.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

DJ Dizzy posted:

Key phrase "Immediately after rolling dice". The HLC modification happens before anything else. Co-pilot changes a hit to a crit, Marksmanship will change a focus to a crit, Etahn A'baht will change a hit to a crit, and a re-roll (due to Predator, target lock, Captain Jonus, etc.) that comes up as a crit stays a crit.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Realistically, you don't have to go too crazy buying ships. I played for quite a while with basically one of everything, and it was no issue putting together tournament level lists generally. I've gone back now and picked up a second of a few things (Defender, Phantom, B-Wing, Y-Wing, Z95, Advanced). Most of those were so I could run an additionally version of that ship, and not just for the cards in them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Madurai posted:

Redline with cluster missiles eats low agility ships alive.

But he's kind of an edge case. I, too, wish missiles were better across the board. Just a little.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Sweet, thanks

DASH+ETAHN

100 points

PILOTS

Dash Rendar (57)
YT-2400 Freighter (36), Predator (3), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Mercenary Copilot (2), Outrider (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

Etahn A’baht (43)
E-Wing (32), R2 Astromech (1), Push the Limit (3), Advanced Sensors (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

Would this be half-way competetive?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sweet, thanks

DASH+ETAHN

100 points

PILOTS

Dash Rendar (57)
YT-2400 Freighter (36), Predator (3), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Mercenary Copilot (2), Outrider (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

Etahn A’baht (43)
E-Wing (32), R2 Astromech (1), Push the Limit (3), Advanced Sensors (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

Would this be half-way competetive?

I'd be inclined to PTL rather than Predator on Dash just because of how hilarious boost.barrel rolling erryday is when you ignore all the terrain except what you end up on, and bring a bunch of debris fields with you.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Swap down to Mangler Cannon, trade in Predator for Push the Limit, change R2 Astromech to R2-D2. Etahn lives much longer, Dash gets more crits.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Redline with cluster missiles eats low agility ships alive.

But he's kind of an edge case. I, too, wish missiles were better across the board. Just a little.

Well, clusters have the potential to do so. I posted a tournament result some pages back where I got 3 clusters off on a VT-49 in one turn... and got almost nothing.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

Swap down to Mangler Cannon, trade in Predator for Push the Limit, change R2 Astromech to R2-D2. Etahn lives much longer, Dash gets more crits.

Friends don't let friends run Mangler Dash.

Edit: basically, Mangler Dash doesn't bring anything to the table that Chewie doesn't, unless you really really love that pilot ability. Dash throwing 4 dice is huge, and the donut hole is a much smaller issue than people make it out to be once you learn to fly him and place asteroids.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 8, 2015

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

The Gate posted:

Realistically, you don't have to go too crazy buying ships. I played for quite a while with basically one of everything...

You realize you just said "You don't have to go too crazy, I played for a while after spending $650." That's just for a "one of each ship" not including base sets or HOOGE ships.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Gate posted:

Friends don't let friends run Mangler Dash.

Edit: basically, Mangler Dash doesn't bring anything to the table that Chewie doesn't, unless you really really love that pilot ability. Dash throwing 4 dice is huge, and the donut hole is a much smaller issue than people make it out to be once you learn to fly him and place asteroids.

I dunno, the maneuverability is pretty loving awesome compared to Chewie, and the extra evade dice once you consider you'll be at range 3 for a good chunk of the map are a pretty significant upgrade from Chewie's one.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cobbsprite posted:

You realize you just said "You don't have to go too crazy, I played for a while after spending $650." That's just for a "one of each ship" not including base sets or HOOGE ships.

That's not even half the price of a mid-range 40k army :v:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Icon Of Sin posted:

That's not even half the price of a mid-range 40k army :v:

Yeah, this.

But I also didn't but all those ships in 1 day. I got one of each, each wave which is several months apart in most cases. When I took a break and came back, I picked 3-4 ships per month and grabbed them. Basically a "wave" at a time, until I had everything. It's not cheap, but I'm also not going out and blowing $650 all at once. :v:

For Dash v Chewie, a defensively built Chewie is pretty drat hard to actually kill. Dash can go down awfully quick, even playing the range 3 game, since all of your defense is in green dice. If they betray you, you die. That said, I greatly prefer Dash myself, but I'd never ever run him with a mangler cannon. HLC for life!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

I dunno, the maneuverability is pretty loving awesome compared to Chewie, and the extra evade dice once you consider you'll be at range 3 for a good chunk of the map are a pretty significant upgrade from Chewie's one.

Dash is a very different beast from Chewie but I think HLC dash is the way to go.

There's a reason against chewie-leebo you kill Leebo first because he's easier to kill and his offense is more threatening.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Dash's squishiness is why I run the LW version over the PtL version. Less predictable, better defensively. Still hates focus fire and I'm pretty sure stresshog would ruin his poo poo. That new Rebel crew that makes white moves eat stress is very tempting though, for a PtL build.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

Dash is a very different beast from Chewie but I think HLC dash is the way to go.

There's a reason against chewie-leebo you kill Leebo first because he's easier to kill and his offense is more threatening.

I dislike the HLC for taste reasons to start with, but I know I'm biased.

X-wing supremacy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Gate posted:

Dash's squishiness is why I run the LW version over the PtL version. Less predictable, better defensively. Still hates focus fire and I'm pretty sure stresshog would ruin his poo poo. That new Rebel crew that makes white moves eat stress is very tempting though, for a PtL build.

Yeah I think Kanan really turns on Super Dash, though his PS7 is always going to give the aces a chance.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

After reading the Ghost preview, this looks like an animated game of loving X-Wing.

https://youtu.be/O4P9rmote_Y

I can't loving WAIT.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Carteret posted:

After reading the Ghost preview, this looks like an animated game of loving X-Wing.

I can't loving WAIT.

Rebels is a pretty good show.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Pyronic posted:

Rebels is a pretty good show.

It's a great show. THE TIE FIGHTERS DO K-TURNS!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Carteret posted:

I can't loving WAIT.

I'm excited to see what the Mission that's included with the Ghost Expansion might be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsmonfZmMU

Some pretty sick maneuvers on vader's Tie Advanced here

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Oh man, at least post the link to the rest of that sick game of X-Wing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Oh man, at least post the link to the rest of that sick game of X-Wing.

I feel like the new TIE title+upgrades just made vader a little too silly imo. Really shouldnt be swinging 5 red dice every round.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Just won a game that I thought I would have no chance in hell of winning. This was my imperial list:

Firespray-31: · Kath Scarlet (38)
Calculation (1)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Ion Bombs (2)
Tactician (2)
VT-49 Decimator: · Captain Oicunn (42)
Determination (1)
Ion Projector (2)
· Emperor Palpatine (8)

Gimmicky as gently caress but fun to fly. The idea is you ram oicunn into an ace and if they bump you then you use palp to trigger the ion projectors. Then every turn you bump them and they bump you from the ion and that repeats until they die. Kath just throw stress everywhere.

Unfortunately my opponent brought along a tournament competitive brobots list. Even if they did bump me they would need a second ion token to get stuck and even then it would only be for a turn.

The first 6 turns were spent circling around the board without a shot being fired. I managed to predict his turn in when he thought I would continue circling and he was forced to split up his IG-88s because of where I landed the decimator and where the rocks ended up. The very first engagement I had Kath at range 2 and the Decimator at range 1 so the IG got double stressed and lost all of its shields. It was all downhill from my opponent from that point as Kath piled on even more stress the next turn.

Tried oicunn twice tonight but never actually managed to trigger the gimmick. Kept forgetting to intentionally ram as well. Gotta get used to thinking that way.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

kingcom posted:

I feel like the new TIE title+upgrades just made vader a little too silly imo. Really shouldnt be swinging 5 red dice every round.

5?
2 for the ship. 1 crit for the advanced. 1 for under one range... What's the fifth?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

LingcodKilla posted:

5?
2 for the ship. 1 crit for the advanced. 1 for under one range... What's the fifth?

He was making a joke about how damage vader was doing in the video. Although vader could have opportunist and the awing no tokens fir the 5th

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh oops.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I'm excited to see what the Mission that's included with the Ghost Expansion might be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsmonfZmMU

It is the only time in Star Wars that we've seen a space ship fly like a space ship. Although flying backward would ruin X-Wing as a game heh.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Make it a modification.

Vector thrust, when you reveal your dial you may place the template from the rear guides. Treat this manuver as a red manuver then discard this card.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Inverse Lightning Reflexes. I like it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

jassi007 posted:

It is the only time in Star Wars that we've seen a space ship fly like a space ship. Although flying backward would ruin X-Wing as a game heh.

Well, star wars space fighter scenes are meant to evoke ww2 rather than science fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Panzeh posted:

Well, star wars space fighter scenes are meant to evoke ww2 rather than science fiction.

Yeah; the bit of trivia I keep seeing bandied about is that the A New Hope Death Star trench run is shot-for-shot from a World War 2 dambuster film. I can't confirm that myself though.

• Locked thread