Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Through the Ages is the best market row game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The broad set of cards effects isn't the issue with market rows, it's that they disproportionately favor people who happen to catch the best cards when they come out. Concordia has a market row that works because the way cards work makes no individual card better than others, at least not for all players.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Impermanent posted:

The broad set of cards effects isn't the issue with market rows, it's that they disproportionately favor people who happen to catch the best cards when they come out. Concordia has a market row that works because the way cards work makes no individual card better than others, at least not for all players.

Also because the newest cards revealed are also the most expensive, so there's a cost to pay in order to acquire the perfect card that just popped up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone tried to just make a preview window of 1-2 cards for these blind market row deckbuilders like Ascension (which I realize has other problems in addition to market row but)? Would that fix or alleviate the topdecking issue?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Market row is why High Command was so popular

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone tried to just make a preview window of 1-2 cards for these blind market row deckbuilders like Ascension (which I realize has other problems in addition to market row but)? Would that fix or alleviate the topdecking issue?

It's called Valley of the Kings and it's good

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I need (physically) lightweight games for backpacking. Love Letter (double sleeved!) is 70 grams, Cosmic Wimpout is only 50 g. Coup comes to mind as another good one with just a few cards needed. What else is there?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
There are two ways to make a market row more interesting than "who gets the better topdecks."

1) Previewable row, where you know what you're giving your opponent by making a given purchase. Valley of the Kings is an example. But this can easily lead to awful zugzwang situations where no available purchase is worth giving your opponent a shot at a strong upcoming purchase.

2) Dutch auction rows, where a card gets cheaper the longer it stays in the row. Through the Ages and Pax Porfiriana are examples, and are Good Games.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrandpaPants posted:

We had this conversation earlier, and someone came up with a really cool fix to Ascension's market row, but I can't remember what it is.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I need (physically) lightweight games for backpacking. Love Letter (double sleeved!) is 70 grams, Cosmic Wimpout is only 50 g. Coup comes to mind as another good one with just a few cards needed. What else is there?

Just take a standard deck of cards and save the rules of a bunch of different games on your phone.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Euchre

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

With a regular deck of playing cards, you can easily proxy love letter, coup, Avalon/resistance, and more. Plus you can play card games like cribbage (just keep score in your head or on a smartphone), bridge, etc.

Codenames is more cards, but not too heavy.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Coup can be a bit of a problem, because the box likes to open and scatter those little cardboard coins everywhere. Take them out of the box and use pocket change instead.

Hive is the gold standard for travel games. It's a solid chess-alike, it's lightweight, and the chunky bakelite components are the next best thing to indestructible.

Also, Catan isn't great, but the new Catan Traveler set is actually pretty neat, if that's your thing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hive is incredible but probably not a go-to when measuring games by the gram.

E: BGG lists Hive at 600 grams and Hive Pocket at 200.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 8, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You're all right that a 52 card deck is the most versatile choice, I'd definitely go with that on a through-hike. On a short hike it's not terribly important to bring games but it's a nice novelty for downtime.

This is a pretty awesome one I never thought of.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Maaaaan 4 hours of Fury of Dracula last night. This game can run long with a super-analytical group who hate the idea of getting any deduction wrong to the point of marking the map with dice to show where he might have been. We also played against a Dracula who took things really, really slowly and spent virtually every turn at sea, which in turn allowed us to go really slowly and safely, we gave him only a total of two event cards, and drew through nearly all of the event deck, evetually catching up to him during the fourth week with one hunter, who summarily executed his 1HP rear end with a Planned Ambush and a pistol full of holy bullets.

Lesson from this for me: Drac REALLY needs to force the Hunters to take risks. Drac's strategy here left him at sea the vast majority of the time, and whilst that obfuscates his landing point a lot, it doesn't usually obfuscate it enough to mean that in the intervening time of hanging about not doing anything, the PCs won't have drawn some sort of event or got Mina into position to just... immediately narrow it right back down again.

I feel like the game needs to be shorter, and Drac needs some way of drawing event cards of his own volition, because if the PCs are careful and only a bit lucky, he just never gets anything and from personal experience that means he spends a lot of time sitting around not doing much.

I really, really like the game, it's a lovely design, but it's just not quite perfect.

And the rulebooks are just awful.

Out of interest were you playing the "advanced" variant with intrigue counters and additional dracula powers? Evidently the basic game skews towards the hunters and not much agency for dracula ,after a learning game I can't see any reason not to use the expanded rules

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

I've occasionally seen that term, "market row", in conjunction with deckbuilders here. What's the issue with it - the randomness, or something else deeper? (I'm mostly curious as to the perspectives of game design.)

Well, I played Star Realms once, which has one draw deck and a row of five cards available at any one time. There are four factions, each of which synergise. I decided red sounded like a good choice, and hardly any red cards appeared for the first half of the game. Also, all the initial market row cards were really expensive. Result, a stodgy uninteresting beginning and embarrassed laughter from the guy teaching us. (And there's unlimited actions, so by the midgame a turn was drawing five cards, bunging them all down, and seeing how much damage we did - the only choice was to whether to hit space stations or the other player.)

Lottery of Babylon posted:

you don't want 10 chapels in your deck, chapel confirmed bad dominion card

Deny the other players Chapel and then Chapel away the ones you don't want, sounds like a plan to me :colbert:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

GrandpaPants posted:

I've actually tried this for fun, showing the top card of the portal deck. I don't think it's be better or worse, it just changes the way you play a bit. It definitely makes you have to think less about what you take during your turn since you mitigate the risk from future purchase potential on the next flop. Often what happens is if an expensive card is on the top of the deck that both players want, they basically just keep buying Mystics (or Heavy Infantry) turn after turn, until they have the cost of the card, plus the lowest cost card in the center (and then buy both). It doesn't do as much as you'd think.

I've played it where you can only acquire or defeat one card per turn as well, and that makes low-entropy lifebound strategies comically broken, and basically negates void / monster strategies. Mechana works okay since you're usually only buying one per turn anyway. Power enlightened is really strong if you can pick up any "acquire or defeat x" and you don't consider it part of your single acquire for the turn.

I'm curious what the game would be like if the game had every card face up. It would be way too complicated for most people, but I could see it being fun as a novelty.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I keep hearing this but I haven't played it, does it live up to the #2?

e: While we're on the Ascension hate bandwagon, my copy of the Year One Collector's Edition came in and it's awesome:

Every card from the original set and Return of the Fallen printed in foil, including the mystics and heavy infantry, and first year of promo cards. Additionally, the board is matte black with a glossy black design in the background and silver foil marking all the spaces (if you play with it). The original cards have all been re-drawn or re-touched and they have the new frames on all of them as well (including the silver and white frames for the always available and starting decks, which I can't believe isn't more common in games. Makes set up and tear down faster since you can fan the deck and see which cards don't belong). I laid out some of the new art, and the foil looks fantastic in person (Magic-quality foiling).

If you're an Ascension hater this won't change your mind about the game, but if you liked the game but didn't like the original art / card frames / first printing, this is the set to get. You can get the original set only, non-foil, for $35 or so if that's your thing instead.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 8, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

PRADA SLUT posted:

It is available to play on Board Game Arena if you want to see for yourself. When my friends and I learned of this, we played literally 2-3 games every day for about two weeks before we burned out. That may say something about me instead of the game, but it is what it is. Consequently, when someone brought TTA to an actual play session, we had no idea how the gently caress to play because having all that stuff automated is pretty sweet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

unpronounceable posted:

Valley of the Kings is sounding pretty interesting. Is there any reason to buy the base game over Afterlife or vice versa?

Afterlife can be played solo.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

canyoneer posted:

I'm a big advocate for Castles of Burgundy these days as a Catan replacement. It takes out the bits that I hate (trading resources with other players), and adds more interesting decision points in buying/laying tiles/jockeying for turn order with different non-mutually exclusive paths/strategies towards victory.

Thanks for recommendation, I must admit that I haven't yet played Castles of Burgundy but the next time I can make it to a gaming night I might request it. Or pick up a cheap copy second-hand if I see someone offering one.

My housemate at uni had Smash Up and we played it a few times. I wasn't really that fussed by it from the start and having to constantly do maths reminded me so much of playing Munchkin: "So I've got, err, 14, 17, 20, yeah 20, and you're what? Like 3 ahead? Okay, hmm, how I can I pull that back...I guess I can't. Well, you win I suppose." Later on I got the exact same feeling from Cosmic Encounter, battles don't end with a flourish or a tense stand off, they end after someone adds up the numbers and realises they're 1 short.

Dominion, I use a randomised setup each time (I've got "Dominion DB" on my iPhone) and for the most part we play with whatever's been dealt out. Sometimes my girlfriend will ask for Colonies and Platinum including when the randomiser hasn't, sometime we'll redraw one or two, like the time we ended up with Sea Hag, Witch and Mountebank. We veto'd Witch and Mountebank and kept Sea Hag because we'd never played with it before and three cursers is a bit much.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ayn Randi posted:

Out of interest were you playing the "advanced" variant with intrigue counters and additional dracula powers? Evidently the basic game skews towards the hunters and not much agency for dracula ,after a learning game I can't see any reason not to use the expanded rules

We realised halfway through the learning game that it heavily fucks with Drac, so we started playing properly from the second game onwards. He gets more to do after that but still not a lot when there are lots of Hunters doing lots of talking until they have gleaned all the possible information that they can perfectly.

We haven't had a Dracula win yet, something which I'm *determined* to change.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Probably gonna request board game shelving for Christmas, is the (thinner) IKEA replacement for the one I can't remember the name of that people used for boardgames and vinyl still the best option? I own Dungeon Lords and Galaxy Trucker Anniversary editions if that matters. My boxes are getting dusty on the floor, and I dished Diskwars by accident as a bonus.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The favoured IKEA for board games is currently called Kallax and I need to get myself one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/27534/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've actually tried this for fun, showing the top card of the portal deck. I don't think it's be better or worse, it just changes the way you play a bit. It definitely makes you have to think less about what you take during your turn since you mitigate the risk from future purchase potential on the next flop. Often what happens is if an expensive card is on the top of the deck that both players want, they basically just keep buying Mystics (or Heavy Infantry) turn after turn, until they have the cost of the card, plus the lowest cost card in the center (and then buy both). It doesn't do as much as you'd think.

I've played it where you can only acquire or defeat one card per turn as well, and that makes low-entropy lifebound strategies comically broken, and basically negates void / monster strategies. Mechana works okay since you're usually only buying one per turn anyway. Power enlightened is really strong if you can pick up any "acquire or defeat x" and you don't consider it part of your single acquire for the turn.

I'm curious what the game would be like if the game had every card face up. It would be way too complicated for most people, but I could see it being fun as a novelty.

e: While we're on the Ascension hate bandwagon, my copy of the Year One Collector's Edition came in and it's awesome:

Every card from the original set and Return of the Fallen printed in foil, including the mystics and heavy infantry, and first year of promo cards. Additionally, the board is matte black with a glossy black design in the background and silver foil marking all the spaces (if you play with it). The original cards have all been re-drawn or re-touched and they have the new frames on all of them as well (including the silver and white frames for the always available and starting decks, which I can't believe isn't more common in games. Makes set up and tear down faster since you can fan the deck and see which cards don't belong). I laid out some of the new art, and the foil looks fantastic in person (Magic-quality foiling).

If you're an Ascension hater this won't change your mind about the game, but if you liked the game but didn't like the original art / card frames / first printing, this is the set to get. You can get the original set only, non-foil, for $35 or so if that's your thing instead.

Temple librarian. :eyepop:

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

The favoured IKEA for board games is currently called Kallax and I need to get myself one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/27534/

That's the one. Without having the box to measure with me right now though, am I correct in thinking DL and GT won't fit in those shelves? If anybody who has one knows.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Single Tight Female posted:

That's the one. Without having the box to measure with me right now though, am I correct in thinking DL and GT won't fit in those shelves? If anybody who has one knows.

Happy Anniversary Dungeon Lords doesn't but will sit quite happily on top. Dunno about GT.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Same size, so I can stack them and watch everything crumble under the weight of Vlaada-goodness. Leeds store has them in stock from tomorrow too. Cheers.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Friend of mine is raving about Folklore: The Affliction. What's the consensus on it? It seems like an exploitative miniature fest kicsktarter at first glance.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My girlfriend and I just moved in together and merged our games. She had a non-kallax ikea shelf (26cm deep) and this is how we've arranged it: Some of them are sticking a bit out, but otherwise it fits. Except Dungeon Lords obviously, but we've put that in front of our semi-shameful trivia games and empty expansion boxes (for now). The small backback is mah-jong.

SynthOrange posted:

Temple librarian. :eyepop:

"Librarians? That's those chicks with glasses in porn, right?"

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
You can pretty easily modify the Kallax shelving to open up a double space for larger games. I'll try to be not lazy and take a picture of my setup later today.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BonHair posted:

My girlfriend and I just moved in together and merged our games. She had a non-kallax ikea shelf (26cm deep) and this is how we've arranged it: Some of them are sticking a bit out, but otherwise it fits. Except Dungeon Lords obviously, but we've put that in front of our semi-shameful trivia games and empty expansion boxes (for now). The small backback is mah-jong.

"Librarians? That's those chicks with glasses in porn, right?"

Riichi or Chinese?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Why the gently caress would you want your deck builder to be foiled?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Style points or something, idk.

It does look way better than the original release.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TastyLemonDrops posted:

No, Mage Knight is the best market row game.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

A standard deck of cards, as has been mentioned, also a dominoes set can get pretty small. Race for the Galaxy can be condensed down into a single deck of cards, so that might be good if you are looking for a bit of meat on you backpacking trek.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 8, 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Mentioned maybe getting Castles of Burgundy second hand earlier today.

Someone selling a punched but never played copy for £16.

Buy or no? Feel like I'd be missing out on a gem if I didn't, and for £16 I could probably get that back if I didn't like it.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Zveroboy posted:

Buy or no? Feel like I'd be missing out on a gem if I didn't, and for £16 I could probably get that back if I didn't like it.

You could probably resell it for that if you don't like it.

I haven't actually played it (which is unfortunate, I have a friend with a copy), but it gets really great reviews, and one of Feld's other games, Trajan, is a personal favorite.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zveroboy posted:

Mentioned maybe getting Castles of Burgundy second hand earlier today.

Someone selling a punched but never played copy for £16.

Good game, worth buying, but only if you're into virtually theme-less euros. It is the definition of point salad. For that price though I'd grab a copy.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

If you want to step up from Kallax to furniture that's actually made out of real wood, try the new Nornas. You can even stain or paint it whatever color you'd like.

Unrelated, my girlfriend found this:

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/6/9851954/board-game-flowchart

It's not great, but it's surprisingly not completely worthless either. It gets better as you scroll down. At least a third of the chart should be replaced with Codenames, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Good game, worth buying, but only if you're into virtually theme-less euros. It is the definition of point salad. For that price though I'd grab a copy.

Well my girlfriend and I really enjoy Dominion!

For £16 it's worth a punt, my girlfriend will try any game at least once.

I'll be bored of castles by the new year because I'm fairly sure she's getting me Castles of Mad King Ludwig for Christmas...