Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

You haven't ripped a nasty fart until the cat that was curled up in your lap jumped up, hissed, and ran off a few seconds after you ripped one so foul that even your own nose hairs disappeared.

I dropped one so bad at thanksgiving that the dog sniffed, coughed, yelped, and then glared at me.

High-sulfur water from mountain springs apparently turns me into a biological weapon.

Also, you haven't smelled bad gear oil till you smell burned up gear oil from a limited slip diff (the friction additive apparently is some funky chemical)... that's had water and mud in it... and then been run that way for a while. Good christ that was disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anything with the LSD friction modifier is so much nastier than regular diif oil.

What they hell do they make that stuff out of?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I like the smell of gear oil for some reason. Please dont judge me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

*shrugs* Me too. Dunno why.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

*shrugs* Me too. Dunno why.

Ive also had skunks as pets. Whats your excuse?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Anything with the LSD friction modifier is so much nastier than regular diif oil.

What they hell do they make that stuff out of?

A long time ago, it used to be sperm whale oil. Since the late 70s it's probably some proprietary bullshit that just happens to share a lot of aromatic compounds with sperm whale oil.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Ive also had skunks as pets. Whats your excuse?

Ferrets.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A long time ago, it used to be sperm whale oil.

:stare: Japan's need for whales explained.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yep those were my first too. Makes sense now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Ferrets.

:stare: Japan's need for whales explained.

Save the whales, ban doriftu. Open diffs for everyone!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Content.

http://imgur.com/7Lkqj53 Just a fullsize link.

Take a good hard look. To save non Aussie Goons the hassle, It's a Ford Falcon wagon.

is...is that window fiberglassed back together?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wish I'd had my camera in time for the car I saw today. The guy had rear end damage and a broken bumper, but he had reconstructed a whole new "taillight" out of red duct tape, including a square of silver tape where the reversing light would be. Pretty good fake from twenty feet away.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Wish I'd had my camera in time for the car I saw today. The guy had rear end damage and a broken bumper, but he had reconstructed a whole new "taillight" out of red duct tape, including a square of silver tape where the reversing light would be. Pretty good fake from twenty feet away.

People do that here all the time. They use red tuck tape.

The reverse lens indicates that we're dealing with an expert hack bodyshop tech, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seat Safety Switch posted:

People do that here all the time. They use red tuck tape.

Amazon carries multiple brands of adhesive‐backed red vinyl for 兎mergency tail light repair.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fart Pipe posted:

Guess I should've invited you over when I cracked this '66 Pontiac posi rear that had been sitting in a guy's yard since 1987.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nubile Hillock posted:

is...is that window fiberglassed back together?

Look closer. Clooooser. I suppose it's more terrible car stuff really, but there is an awful lot wrong in that photo. I couldn't get a better shot but I can say if the police saw it they would have hit the jackpot. A horrible structural failure.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General_Failure posted:

Content.

http://imgur.com/7Lkqj53 Just a fullsize link.

Take a good hard look. To save non Aussie Goons the hassle, It's a Ford Falcon wagon.

Cool, the whole rear end is twisted

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

I dropped one so bad at thanksgiving that the dog sniffed, coughed, yelped, and then glared at me.

High-sulfur water from mountain springs apparently turns me into a biological weapon.

You've been taking lessons from 14 inch. But I've received a similar response from dogs before. Which is a lot more hilarious than a cat hissing, since dogs usually don't give two shits about... well, poo poo. I mean, they sniff each other's asses to figure out who's who.

Motronic posted:

I've had the LSD modifier plenty of times over the years, but I don't think it's what makes my emissions smell so bad. :2bong:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to take inspiration from the Hitchcock method to begin this tale.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You Am I posted:

Cool, the whole rear end is twisted

To be fair, that panel gap tolerance is probably not far off factory spec.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I was more worried about what looks like it could be a plate glass window cut to fit.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why does your battery have a vacuum gauge?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Why does your battery have a vacuum gauge?

Because it sucks? :downsrim:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ola posted:

Because it sucks? :downsrim:

:cripes:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

I'd like to take inspiration from the Hitchcock method to begin this tale.

I see the mopar M on the battery and what looks like a couple psi of boost. Is it a Dodge Dart with a problem?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Definitely a Mopar battery. Some boost probably wouldn't be an issue if it was a turbo car so... is it possible for something to be backfiring into the intake hard enough to generate at least intermittent positive pressure? :v:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

rdb posted:

I see the mopar M on the battery and what looks like a couple psi of boost. Is it a Dodge Dart with a problem?

Darts are turbo'd?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Darts are turbo'd?

1.4l Fire Turbo. So one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Darts are turbo'd?

They can be had with a turbo Fiat 1.4, yes.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Do they use fiats multi air technology? I remember something about that using the camshafts in lieu of throttle plates. Maybe one is way out of time.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Darts are turbo'd?

In the sense that there is indeed a turbo plumbed into the exhaust/induction, yes. Otherwise you wouldn't notice.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Slavvy posted:

You're in for a fun time. The control arm bolt you can see isn't the only one. There is another one which bolts into the subframe through the sway bar mount, you can see them on the right in the second picture. If the whole cast assembly that holds the bush has moved, the subframe is bent.

:perfect:
You're the poo poo for calling that one. I had the balljoint replaced and the car re-aligned and it still pulled pretty bad to the right. Called up my insurance company and had it looked at by a collision place. Subframe is bent and it got shifted so badly it threw off the left side as well. Getting a new subframe and LCA. Ordered a new rim at BMW and the guy gave me a huge discount because I was quiet, patient, and had the part number from realoem. There were some seriously pushy, conceited assholes in that dealership, wow.

Anyhow, wifey's happy the car's gonna be right again, and I'm happy I'm able to provide that for her. I like the car so it's not really a stretch to pay a couple bucks to make all this perfect. Thanks for your advice!

E: the guy told me on the phone that one of the angles (can't remember which, I think toe) was off by 23ー :stare: That car wasn't safe to drive over 50 mph.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BloodBag posted:

You're the poo poo for calling that one. I had the balljoint replaced and the car re-aligned and it still pulled pretty bad to the right. Called up my insurance company and had it looked at by a collision place. Subframe is bent and it got shifted so badly it threw off the left side as well. Getting a new subframe and LCA. Ordered a new rim at BMW and the guy gave me a huge discount because I was quiet, patient, and had the part number from realoem. There were some seriously pushy, conceited assholes in that dealership, wow.

Anyhow, wifey's happy the car's gonna be right again, and I'm happy I'm able to provide that for her. I like the car so it's not really a stretch to pay a couple bucks to make all this perfect. Thanks for your advice!

E: the guy told me on the phone that one of the angles (can't remember which, I think toe) was off by 23ー :stare: That car wasn't safe to drive over 50 mph.

No problem. Whoever had to put that in hates you btw.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

Definitely a Mopar battery. Some boost probably wouldn't be an issue if it was a turbo car so... is it possible for something to be backfiring into the intake hard enough to generate at least intermittent positive pressure? :v:

Well, I didn't take a video of that gauge, but in order of your sentences: yes, sure if it were turbo, oh hell yes it can.

Jeep 3.7. A video I posted in 2012 when I ran into this the first time.

https://youtu.be/5FWk4IzZFrg

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BloodBag posted:

No way it was 23 degrees, that is half the steering angle available on many cars (~45 left, 45 right) - I would believe 2.3.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Well, I didn't take a video of that gauge, but in order of your sentences: yes, sure if it were turbo, oh hell yes it can.

Jeep 3.7. A video I posted in 2012 when I ran into this the first time.

https://youtu.be/5FWk4IzZFrg

didnt that head specifically on the left side have a huge recall?

NM it was the 3.6 penastar.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but it looks like the Jeep 3.7 is prone to the same valveseat problems as the 4.7. So, someone is getting heads replaced.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BloodBag posted:

You keep a low deductible right? Right? I looked into raising my deductible from 250 up to 500 or 1000 and the price change was so small it wasn't worth it. As many times as I've had to have my last 2 cars into the body shop due to other people being idiots, it's a lot easier to write a 250 check and wait for reimbursement than a 1000. Also, helps in the event I manage to do something stupid in the snow one of these days.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Slavvy posted:

No problem. Whoever had to put that in hates you btw.

Nah, if it's that bent and I have the new one on hand, then gently caress the bent one. New one on the floor with a pole jack in the center, and the old one gets strategic Sawzalling until it's easy to remove.

Sawzalling for profit is always a good time. :black101:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

veedubfreak posted:

You keep a low deductible right? Right? I looked into raising my deductible from 250 up to 500 or 1000 and the price change was so small it wasn't worth it. As many times as I've had to have my last 2 cars into the body shop due to other people being idiots, it's a lot easier to write a 250 check and wait for reimbursement than a 1000. Also, helps in the event I manage to do something stupid in the snow one of these days.

One

Thousand

Dollars

:negative:

I'll be dropping that poo poo to $250-500 on the next renewal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BloodBag posted:

One

Thousand

Dollars

:negative:

I'll be dropping that poo poo to $250-500 on the next renewal.

Have fun with that. We couldn't loving care less if you want a higher deductible but we sure as gently caress want you to pay out the rear end if you lower it.