Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cant wait until Trump calls for "evacuating" all Muslim Americans to the east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

loving proclick right here

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The last two elections I was tense, even nervous. Now I'm somewhere in the triangle between nauseous, terrified, and entranced.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

stinkles1112 posted:

Gun owners are a "tribe" much the same way that people who drive Buicks are a "tribe"

Guys, we can't judge someone on the color of their skin, but the content of their holster :qq:
You can't bleat about "gun culture" *and* claim they aren't a group, dumbass :jerkbag:

At any rate the way you approach politics is about as unproductive as a typical Fox News viewer, and for exactly the same reason.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kilroy posted:

You can't bleat about "gun culture" *and* claim they aren't a group, dumbass :jerkbag:

At any rate the way you approach politics is about as unproductive as a typical Fox News viewer, and for exactly the same reason.

Gun culture is culture, not a group of people. "American culture" is a thing, not a group of people.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Chard posted:

The last two elections I was tense, even nervous. Now I'm somewhere in the triangle between nauseous, terrified, and entranced.

I keep thinking Trump *finally* says something dumb enough to crater him....and he just keeps building steam. :psyboom:

It's bizarre to me that people can support him. He is virulently racist, an elitist, and totally out of touch with any sort of functional 21st century reality.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Authoritarians want a strongman who will punish the bad mans, it appears to be human nature

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

LeeMajors posted:

I keep thinking Trump *finally* says something dumb enough to crater him....and he just keeps building steam. :psyboom:

It's bizarre to me that people can support him. He is virulently racist, an elitist, and totally out of touch with any sort of functional 21st century reality.

I'm not surprised. There are quite a number of Americans who lust for literal grisly, horrible torture and death for Muslims/women/blacks/liberals/non-whites/non-Christians/etc.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

I don't understand where you're getting lost here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This isn't much beyond "all Mexican immigrants are rapists" imo. Probably Islamophobia is as high as it's ever been, a plurality of GOP primary will probably agree strongly with this idea. And every single terror attack or ISIS atrocity will strengthen him from now on, he now owns "most anti-muslim candidate."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah. What even IS conservatism in the US other than those things?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Muscle Tracer posted:

Gun culture is culture, not a group of people. "American culture" is a thing, not a group of people.
You're splitting hairs. In what way is basing your approach to gun policy on the fact that you don't like gun owners, going to result in better policy?

How about this: I don't like like people who take ecstasy. There is a whole culture that has grown up around the drug and I think it's loving stupid. I *would* support decriminalization, which a dispassionate reading of the facts and a sober look at the successes of this approach elsewhere will support, but I just don't like people who take MDMA. Let's lock them all up.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 8, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hrmmm

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4137092/

hahahaha posted:

According to CAIR, 78 percent of Muslims voted Republican in 2000. It was a departure from previous elections, when this community tended to side with the health and education policies of Democrats. But conservative family values that Bush touted were attractive, as was his hints that he would seek to eliminate the 1996 Secret Evidence Act, which many Muslims believe targets members of their community.
To some extent, Democratic candidate Al Gore also lost the population by failing to address a host of concerns about the Middle East--as in the state of Michigan, for instance. Gore still won the state by a modest margin.
But in the post 9-11 era, the Bush administration pushed through the USA Patriot Act, expanding secret detentions, use of secret evidence as well as expanding FBI powers to investigate individuals. Policy toward Palestinians, Iraq and Iran has also angered many who trace their origins to the region. “Many Muslims feel somewhat betrayed after voting for Bush in 2000,” says Mansouri of CAIR

At some point I expect the Republican party to just come out with a Anti-Human platform and advocate for Anti-natalism. They've pretty much been successful at disenfranchising every single minority group.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Hollismason posted:

At some point I expect the Republican party to just come out with a Anti-Human platform and advocate for Anti-natalism. They've pretty much been successful at disenfranchising every single minority group.

Well this is at least getting closer to one of my personal endgame policies, "kidnap literally every child because it's more dangerous to allow another generation to be raised in the wild."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Moxie posted:

Well this is at least getting closer to one of my personal endgame policies, "kidnap literally every child because it's more dangerous to allow another generation to be raised in the wild."

creepy

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Yeah there's not a lot of good ways to implement it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Moxie posted:

Yeah there's not a lot of good ways to implement it

I don't understand your policy really.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Moxie posted:

Are you a Kravitz

Nothing so glamorous, German Jew through my great-grandmother, grandmother and mother, our patriarch Johann moved his family to northern Georgia to farm in the late 20s. My dads side are all freed slaves out of Alabama and Northern Florida, who settled in the Bay Area of central Florida.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Muscle Tracer posted:

Separating a culture from its consumer in this context is a littler pedantic.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Final turkey carcass count for Mike Dukakis this year: 26.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Final turkey carcass count for Mike Dukakis this year: 26.

He truly is history's greatest monster.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did Trump say how we should identify Muslims to keep them out, or is that just left to the imagination of his supporters (skin color, devil horns hidden under turbans, etc)?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did Trump say how we should identify Muslims to keep them out, or is that just left to the imagination of his supporters (skin color, devil horns hidden under turbans, etc)?

Brown, funny sounding name, from the ME.

Wonder if anyone from Indonesia would get banned based on racial stereotyping.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Brown, funny sounding name, from the ME.

Wonder if anyone from Indonesia would get banned based on racial stereotyping.

Also, Sikhs are basically Muslims I mean come on now

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Let's just say anyone with a hijab/niqab or anyone who fails the paper bag test.

Coincidentally, that second one almost definitely disqualifies Jesus himself, a Middle Eastern Jew.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Its not that im lost--more that i am horrified.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trump basically wants to turn America into a white paper bag party.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 8, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

Trump basically wants to turn America into a white paper bag party fascist regime.

Sorry you can't sugar coat it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

HootTheOwl posted:

Separating a culture from its consumer in this context is a littler pedantic.

I don't see why, and I don't see that "gun culture" is limited to gun consumers any more than "rape culture" is limited to rapists. The latter is a systemic issue, and so is the former.

Kilroy posted:

You're splitting hairs. In what way is basing your approach to gun policy on the fact that you don't like gun owners, going to result in better policy?

How about this: I don't like like people who take ecstasy. There is a whole culture that has grown up around the drug and I think it's loving stupid. I *would* support decriminalization, which a dispassionate reading of the facts and a sober look at the successes of this approach elsewhere will support, but I just don't like people who take MDMA. Let's lock them all up.

lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Only 22% of Americans own any guns. Of those, even fewer own more than one gun, and even fewer own more than two functional and used guns.

Within the small percentage of people, trending towards much more than 2 guns, and who are the reason we find that 300 million guns are in private hands despite under 70 million owning any guns, we find the gun culture people. Among other things they trend towards being white, male, upper wealth, and are the most likely to own one or more handguns (the 1 or 2 gun people tend towards a long rifle, a shotgun, or both, because they're real utility weapons on the farm or for family huntin').

Curiously enough these hoarders behind gun culture are the only ones who really squawk about say, not being allowed to have the latest assault clip equipped gun or moan about background checks. But they'll rile up the utility owners by claiming everything is also gonna take their guns. Even though extremely strict systems like Australia's exempt utility weapons and in Australia's case result in 11%of the population still being armed.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
There seems to enough Republican pushback on this to turn Romney's 47% into a 45% and end the election in a landslide loss.

Trump winning the nomination is anything but scary. 12 years without massive tax cuts is going to really start to peeve the single issue business wing of the party, and force some of the realignment that was promised after the last general election loss.

If Democrats should be afraid of something, it's that Trump proves that he can be stumped - by himself, and in drawing out the entire arsenal of the Republican establishment, paves the way for Rubio to get the nomination.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Donald Trump posted:

Trump did not respond to questions about whether any ban would also include Muslims who are U.S. citizens and travel outside the country - or how a determination of someone's religion might be made by customs and border officials.

In response to a request for additional detail, Trump said via a campaign spokeswoman: "Because I am so politically correct, I would never be the one to say. You figure it out!"

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b0f4f54bad2843898b8b3b67559588aa/trump-calls-complete-shutdown-muslims-entering-us

Wink wink nudge nudge no more browns.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trump winning the primary is what would be best. Hillary would destroy him, he'd possibly suppress Republican turnout, and possibly affect down ticket races.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TyrantWD posted:

There seems to enough Republican pushback on this to turn Romney's 47% into a 45% and end the election in a landslide loss.

Trump winning the nomination is anything but scary. 12 years without massive tax cuts is going to really start to peeve the single issue business wing of the party, and force some of the realignment that was promised after the last general election loss.

If Democrats should be afraid of something, it's that Trump proves that he can be stumped - by himself, and in drawing out the entire arsenal of the Republican establishment, paves the way for Rubio to get the nomination.
Okay but lemme gently caress with you here.
What if.
What if.
There's a terrorist attack between now and the election, or worse, between Trump getting the nomination and the election?
What happens then?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

Trump winning the primary is what would be best. Hillary would destroy him, he'd possibly suppress Republican turnout, and possibly affect down ticket races.

If anything we should all be supporting Trump as much as possible because he's the worst choice..

Whether or not he'd win, Republicans will consolidate behind their nominee (it's how they become the nominee after all), so you've got to question whether wishing for a year of him getting the explicit support of one of the two major parties is a good idea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trump will still lose in the General Election.

Joementum posted:

Whether or not he'd win, Republicans will consolidate behind their nominee (it's how they become the nominee after all), so you've got to question whether wishing for a year of him getting the explicit support of one of the two major parties is a good idea.

I actually think he'll get the nomination if he's leading by the debate in January. I think it's likely they wouldn't support him in fact it may be a critical mass meltdown if he's leading gets the votes and doesn't get the nomination.

I think we're now closer than ever to seeing some sort of possible party split.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 8, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay but lemme gently caress with you here.
What if.
What if.
There's a terrorist attack between now and the election, or worse, between Trump getting the nomination and the election?
What happens then?

The terrorist attack would need to be like October 28 and even then it probably would just make the race tighter rather than a trump win.

I mean, the benghazi attack like 6 weeks before the election in September weren't enough to bump Romney to a lead, and all the temporary gains vanished over like 2 days.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

This isn't much beyond "all Mexican immigrants are rapists" imo. Probably Islamophobia is as high as it's ever been, a plurality of GOP primary will probably agree strongly with this idea. And every single terror attack or ISIS atrocity will strengthen him from now on, he now owns "most anti-muslim candidate."

True. And really to the left of Jeb's "keep out anyone but the christians" Also to the left of moderate sane Republican David Frum's "keep all the muslims out of europe, deport all of the ones already there because their kids won't assimilate"

Hollismason posted:

I don't understand your policy really.
Then vote for me, and my policy platform of "release the virus from 12 Monkeys"

anyways, I have another suggestion: USPOL Dec: Tomorrow Belongs to Trump

nice little Cabaret reference

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

:negative: I wanna get off this ride now please.

Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

The terrorist attack would need to be like October 28 and even then it probably would just make the race tighter rather than a trump win.

I mean, the benghazi attack like 6 weeks before the election in September weren't enough to bump Romney to a lead, and all the temporary gains vanished over like 2 days.
No I mean in America, with a triple digit body count.

• Locked thread