Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Phelous's schtick has never been funny.

I'd really like him a lot better if he didn't run jokes/silly voices into the ground harder than any other reviewer I've seen. I mean holy poo poo he did an entire review doing that annoying dumb high pitched voice for the characters and it was ear screechingly bad. Also the weird "CHARACTERS ARE HAVING A PARTY/DRINKING/HAVING FUN? UGH HATE EM ALREADY WORTHLESS JERKS UGH" thing.

His Halloween reviews are pretty funny though and so are the Pulse reviews as well, he just gets really annoying at times.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hitler was a pretty bad guy.

Doug Walker is not terribly talented.

Phelous's schtick has never been funny.

Internet Critics are largely bad.

I disagree with at least one of these notions.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Phelous operates at a level of irony far above our plane of existence. His character is simultaneously an intentional parody of internet critics, an unintentional parody of internet critics, a parody of itself, and a completely sincere effort.

Y'all wish you could get on his level. You may not like his videos, but Plato never said leaving the cave would be pleasant. :c00lbert:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The only Phelous review I recall being funny was the one about killer bunnies. I'm not sure if it was simply the source material is too absurd to NOT be funny or what, but it was the only one where he made actual jokes that actually made me laugh. I watched ten or twelve Phelous episodes on the strength of that one and then basically stopped after his first Lupa crossover, which was bad enough to make me delete TGWTG Dot Com off my bookmarks forever. Which is strange, because Lupa was probably my favorite reviewer of that time, and I really dug her reviews about that one tough gal action star lady whose name I do not remember.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Jontron Food Games 2 is now up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T25UWrjXZA

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Noted fat british reviewer Jim Sterling did a pretty good video on multiplayer-only games this week with a little surprise thrown in at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuN78zNufSI
He made some pretty good points and pretty much summed up my own views on the matter. Also he is fat and british.

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 8, 2015

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

oldman posted:

I watched Linkara's movie last night, and I rather enjoyed? I had never cared for his plot based segments but I liked the cute "try hard" attitude that permeated throughout. :)

I just finished part 3/5. Watching a part each night there isn't anything else posted by people I follow. I have no doubt this is exactly the movie every backer wanted.

Plus, the cast and crew were all paid-- so you know, that's a huge step above some other space-based reviewer movies we could name.

I laughed at the moving box in the background marked "Diamanda Hagan's Minions"

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That was good. I hope he doesn't start leaning too hard on skits, this is just the right amount.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Has anybody posted stuff from Turbo Button in this thread? He's a bit of a lesser-known critic that does video discussions on game design. Here's an interesting video he put up today on gameplay depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxRxh8Ka5H8

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Still not Thai Fighter

... what?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

New episode by Brad: Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas

And wait... on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/672859860090814464

Obscurus Lupa/Movie Nights posted:

The winner of the Christmas poll is Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas, so look for that later this month! Thanks for voting!

OH poo poo REVIEWER DIBS BRUTALLY VIOLATED!!! Surely these two bloodthirsty rivals will have an EPIC TWITTER FEUD because THAT'S HOW THE INTERNET WORKS!!!

(Or we'll get two great reviews from two amazing reviewers-- but c'mon, that isn't how the Internet works-- friendly and professional. Right? Back me up guys. Guys?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Phelous reviews are fine every now and then for me. Like, I just need a phase of the dude ragging on terrible horror movies/cheap animation and then I move on to something else when it gets too grating.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Brad's review was great, just the increased exasperation about Grumpy Cat stealing his disses and using them in the movie was fantastic.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Another day, another Animorphs review, this time for #51 The Absolute (Part One, Part Two), the one where we pretend the stuff from the last book didn't happen and have a rollicking comedy adventure in the land of state-level politics.

poparena fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 8, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I don't know what I expected a Grumpy Cat Christmas movie to be, but, uh, it wasn't that. :stare:

I... I think I kinda love it? It's like Lifetime somehow funded the movie by complete accident, so everyone involved set out to go hog wild to make the most bizarre thing ever, like @fart going on cable news to derail a story about Edward Snowden into one about Edward Scissorhands.
I'm looking forward to Lupa's eventual review.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Yardbomb posted:

I really don't know how any developer of that game would be upset if someone made nude mods, I mean poo poo dude, have you looked at or even remotely been made aware of the game you're working on.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is he the one who never used to shut up about how much he hates Tekken?

how does someone seriously lack this much self-awareness? :psyduck:

e: also James Rolfe is a genius. That ep was like a cross between Inception and Se7en.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 8, 2015

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Augus posted:

Noted fat british reviewer Jim Sterling did a pretty good video on multiplayer-only games this week with a little surprise thrown in at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuN78zNufSI
He made some pretty good points and pretty much summed up my own views on the matter. Also he is fat and british.

Dude needs to start doing makeup before making these or maybe just get in shape. He's been looking absolutely repulsive lately.

vvWell he was always a bit of a wreck, but the past few months he's become a lot worse.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 8, 2015

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Archer666 posted:

Dude needs to start doing makeup before making these or maybe just get in shape. He's been looking absolutely repulsive lately.

Lately?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Archer666 posted:

vvWell he was always a bit of a wreck, but the past few months he's become a lot worse.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that he's been doing makeup specifically to make himself look worse tbh. Jim Sterling just does what he do.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It looks like the guy is just under lighting that's washing out his skin tone. A warmer tone would make his complexion not look like poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Does anyone remember that archive of Blip/Critic's videos that was supposed to be A Thing?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I believe the Internet Archive managed to save them. I don't know if they managed to organize them all yet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
James Rolfe talks about the deep lore of Board James.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE6Gmy2t-Es

It's good.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's good.

Uhh...Uhh...What? :psyduck: I got none of that.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's good.

Holy poo poo. James Rolfe is a madman.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I knor, right!? It's great.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Beefstew posted:

Holy poo poo. James Rolfe is a madman.

Not just that, but that fact is he's been pretty consistently insane and funny for, what, a decade now? Especially compared to the low low bar of most internet critics. Not to mention 10 years is like forever in internet terms. Guy has a real gift.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

What I like the most is that, unlike with many other reviewers, it's very clear that Board James and AVGN are NOT Rolfe.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's good.

That level of attention to detail is neither required nor expected from Internet video game critic sketches. James might deserve some sort of award.

Seriously, the only other review I could see putting that much thought into his storylines is Linkara. And even then, I don't think Linkara could articulate it as well.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

That level of attention to detail is neither required nor expected from Internet video game critic sketches. James might deserve some sort of award.

Seriously, the only other review I could see putting that much thought into his storylines is Linkara. And even then, I don't think Linkara could articulate it as well.

Linkara thinks he actually is a Power Ranger so...

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

lornekates posted:

New episode by Brad: Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas

A scene for the Grumpy Cat movie was filmed at the mall near my parents house. They were giving out free buttons and my mom gave me her free button.

Also, where is the link to Brad's review? :effort:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Violet_Sky posted:

A scene for the Grumpy Cat movie was filmed at the mall near my parents house. They were giving out free buttons and my mom gave me her free button.

It didn't look like any mall I'm familiar with-- so not Toronto-- but it was certainly Canada (Robbers store)-- so I'm guessing Vancouver-ish?

Violet_Sky posted:

Also, where is the link to Brad's review? :effort:

I don't know. Where is the link? :effort: for :effort: =P

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Here's the link to that thing because I'm not an annoying 12-year old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EZm1YWT34

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Augus posted:

If that's true, then that link is NOT a rickroll.

{clicks link}

Well then.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

Lloyd is a cute cat. :3:

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Linkara thinks he actually is a Power Ranger so...

True

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 10, 2015

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Violet_Sky posted:

Lloyd is a cute cat. :3:

:3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Augus posted:

Gotta be honest, I kind of want to see this. A young in cheek Lifetime Christmas movie? Yes please.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Not gonna lie, when he said Lloyd's Worst Christmas Ever I thought he meant the insurance group. That cat's gotta be into eight figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I think the reason Rolfe stays relevant is because he stays out of drama, he knows how to be professional and present himself and his brand to the public. He cares about what he does, and the fans, and he knows what to keep private, and that makes him more likable, imo.

• Locked thread