Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A spiky icon appears around damage numbers whenever you trigger an attack art's bonus effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Considering the nightmare that Chapter 6 boss was, I'm kinda surprised how easy the boss of Chapter 7 was in comparison. Didn't even need my Skell. Super short chapter, too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really mind that there's a wide variety of enemy levels just out in the field but it's really stupid that they like to pepper in high level enemies in story based areas like the turret destruction mission. There's no real challenge involved, its just do you get lucky with their patrol or not.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
The Ma-non and pizza. I wish I could taste what they taste....not that pizza isn't delicious

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't really mind that there's a wide variety of enemy levels just out in the field but it's really stupid that they like to pepper in high level enemies in story based areas like the turret destruction mission. There's no real challenge involved, its just do you get lucky with their patrol or not.

Initially I was into the pseudo-stealth aspects of the game, but yeah, the turret mission was just super tedious and felt like it relied way too much on getting lucky when sneaking around.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you level up Commando to rank 6, you get Shadowrunner, which acts as a 20 second stealth if you use it out of combat (by targeting an enemy and using it, but without attacking the enemy).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Just wait until after chapter 6. There are a few sidequests that start popping up that don't require combat, technically, if you use your Skell and abuse some geometry in bases of level 50+ Prone. Just remember, even if you're going in circles Skells can break lock on shockingly quickly and can often jump over enemies fast enough they don't notice you.

They also clearly expect you to do them then because all the (substantial) follow-up I've unlocked has had level appropriate enemies. Still, its a weird choice.

And holy gently caress do I hate Sylvarannus or however you spell it. Roaming giant Mechs that'll one-shot your Skell if you get caught by them are obnoxious as gently caress, though at least they aren't hostile if you're on foot.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The Manon needed better effort voice-work, period. Just such a lame, obnoxious cop-out. Their dialog is otherwise ok if a little too Tatsu-like. And Tatsu is the worse than Chuu by a mile. His haircut alone makes me want to punt him.

Luckily chapter 5 was pretty fun with some challenging scenarios and options/shortcuts for taking different approaches. Also after finishing it I now get why some people are pissed about the silent protagonist thing. I'm finding it easy to just consider Elma the protagonist while I tag along, however. It was pretty funny though because i was wearing a heavy robotic suit for that entire set of cutscenes. I really wished I had recorded it because it came off as especially weird and silly.

edit: The free reports system is also weird. I keep getting the same reports from people, and I'm not talking about the L+A thing. These usually have the Miiverse icon on them so I'm guessing they're just popular Miiverse posts or something. It sucks to miss out on occasional fun goon chatter but I'm probably going to disable reports display because the spam is just screen clutter and I have enough actual relevant information overload going on with the rest of the screen.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 8, 2015

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I think my favourite monster in the game so far is Go-Rha, the Guardian Deity.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Ugh, I want to participate in the global nemesis event that's going on right now, but the rest of my npcs can't pilot skells yet, and absolutely no one is joining the group despite being in a conquest squad.

Edit- Agh, so close. Sustentacular and I almost managed it together, but we lost at less than 25% due to running out of retries.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 8, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there any way to ever realistically get your party members to use Overdrives other than just not equipping them with TP abilities or spamming the converse TP battle option?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FYI, if you have mechanical 4 you can get a storage probe on the southeast corner of Cauldros.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How the hell do I get Storage and Research Probes? I'm making almost 30k miranium in one go, but I barely have any place to put it, and the only research probe I can make a chain with is the G1 you get at the beginning.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

How the hell do I get Storage and Research Probes? I'm making almost 30k miranium in one go, but I barely have any place to put it, and the only research probe I can make a chain with is the G1 you get at the beginning.

You get probes through quests and mechanical treasure chests. Research probes are way rarer than mining, and the only non-quest storage probe I've found is the one I mentioned in the post above yours. But yeah, it's been trivial for me to make as much miranium as I could store for pretty much the entire game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Having just finished Chapter 5, I'm pretty sure I'm super overlevelled, haha. I didn't need to play it as a stealth mission at all, basically. Unless that's not the one people complain about?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Telethia's random buffs can really screw you over. In this last attempt, it opened up the battle with a beam reflection buff that took out like half my arsenal.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Free Report posted:

Welcome to New L+A

Sustentacular
Aug 27, 2011

Eopia posted:

Ugh, I want to participate in the global nemesis event that's going on right now, but the rest of my npcs can't pilot skells yet, and absolutely no one is joining the group despite being in a conquest squad.

Edit- Agh, so close. Sustentacular and I almost managed it together, but we lost at less than 25% due to running out of retries.

Dammit that was unlucky the second time. I just gotta get swole and buy a skell that's worth a drat. lol

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Sustentacular posted:

Dammit that was unlucky the second time. I just gotta get swole and buy a skell that's worth a drat. lol

It was incredibly unlucky. I managed to fight long enough for the time limit to expire and broke all of its parts once I got the rest of my team in Skells, but I couldn't actually defeat it which is possible according to the results screen. The thing also has more than one health bar, as it went right back to full after I depleted the first.

Assuming it only had two health bars I would have been able to managed it, but when it was down to 25% of its first health bar it got a 'Telethia begins reading your mind!' buff and became completely invincible for awhile.

Sustentacular
Aug 27, 2011

Eopia posted:

It was incredibly unlucky. I managed to fight long enough for the time limit to expire and broke all of its parts once I got the rest of my team in Skells, but I couldn't actually defeat it which is possible according to the results screen. The thing also has more than one health bar, as it went right back to full after I depleted the first.

Assuming it only had two health bars I would have been able to managed it, but when it was down to 25% of its first health bar it got a 'Telethia begins reading your mind!' buff and became completely invincible for awhile.

Where's the monado when you need it, eh?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sustentacular posted:

Where's the monado when you need it, eh?

Lin's selfishly using it to pin her hair in place :argh:.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
On a related note to the previous posts, I was worried when I didn't get any soul challenges when my NPC allies had their skells destroyed, but when I checked the hanger after the mission was over it seems that their insurance counter didn't go down, which is a huge relief.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eopia posted:

On a related note to the previous posts, I was worried when I didn't get any soul challenges when my NPC allies had their skells destroyed, but when I checked the hanger after the mission was over it seems that their insurance counter didn't go down, which is a huge relief.

iirc the manual outright states that party members always get a Perfect saving throw, so they'll never actually lose their Skells.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can also put scouts into skells, but you gotta go back to the hangar to assign them which is bit of a pain.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there any way to ever realistically get your party members to use Overdrives other than just not equipping them with TP abilities or spamming the converse TP battle option?
I think that's the long and short of it, its kind of crazy the stuff in the battle options isn't an out of battle toggle. I don't know if its Elma being able to print TP as a full metal jaguar, but it might be alright to still slot auras, and possibly debuffs, that use TP because I suspect what gets attack TP using arts abused is answering soul voices.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Free Report posted:

Welcome to New L+A

Not gonna lie, if I ran into this, that'd have been my first actual favorite.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
When can I find the npc at the sports complex for the "No Ma-non Need Appy" mission? I've been checking several times but I can't find anyone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The filler quests in between chapters that you have to do have really ended up not being that big of a deal. Reviewers last week made it seem like this was a mountain of work each time, but the truth is the exploration requirements are something you should really be doing anyways.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

how do i color my skell? Where do I register that?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The Barracks. There is a terminal right by you where you spawn in if you fast travel there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

When can I find the npc at the sports complex for the "No Ma-non Need Appy" mission? I've been checking several times but I can't find anyone.
I think it was one of the tennis courts on the ends. I don't visit the tennis courts enough to give a cardinal direction.

I said come in! posted:

The filler quests in between chapters that you have to do have really ended up not being that big of a deal. Reviewers last week made it seem like this was a mountain of work each time, but the truth is the exploration requirements are something you should really be doing anyways.
Its honestly better than a lot of the story content but I could understand it pissing off reviewers who just need to finish the drat thing before the deadline.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Barracks customization console.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

zedprime posted:

I think that's the long and short of it, its kind of crazy the stuff in the battle options isn't an out of battle toggle. I don't know if its Elma being able to print TP as a full metal jaguar, but it might be alright to still slot auras, and possibly debuffs, that use TP because I suspect what gets attack TP using arts abused is answering soul voices.

This game could really use Dragon Age Origins' conditional orders menu, that'd make the combat system pretty much perfect.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Full Specs + Beam Barrage + Overdrive + Beam Resistance Down should be forbidden.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Every time FFXII's gambit system gets attributed to DA:O a little piece of Yasumi Matsuno's souls dies

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Full Specs + Beam Barrage + Overdrive + Beam Resistance Down should be forbidden.

Hehe

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

It's not actually at the tennis court. West of it there are maintenance guys working on construction Skells and the conversation is in that area.

I had it pop up 11pm after jumping over the skells and boxes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Monolith. posted:

Is there a good resource to explain what all the icons and stuff mean on the weapons and armor menu?

Change the thread title to Read the Manual

MinibarMatchman posted:

im just 10 hours in at level 17 or so but I already feel like I've hit a brick wall of boorish poo poo. the next area is full of level 30ish enemies, I feel like I've explored pretty much the entirety of the first area, and the only missions really to do are to collect poo poo that I don't have much inkling of where they are. It's really uninspiring and the only thing I'm trying to do is get 15% exploration to activate the next story mission because I'm in such a state of "who gives a poo poo." The lack of any interesting characters or story is more of an issue that I thought even this early on.

Lol no you have not explored the entirety of anything. And there are enemies lower leveled than you on every continent I've been to so far, but even so try punching above your level in 4-on-1 fights

Ciaphas posted:

While I'm at it, the con system makes no sense. It says--when I'm level 9--that a level 34 is "easy" because it's colored purple, but a level 7 in a different area is green, and a level 11 purple straight loving murdered me. :psyduck:

Level isn't the only indication of danger, that's the whole point of the color system. Some types of monsters are just stronger than others. Also the explanation of the colors thing is misleading anyway; only colorless enemies are easy, anything with color will require at least a bit of effort, it's just that purple and blue are the ones you can generally probably maybe handle

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also those dumb hornbirds are so STUPID and I love them

also also it's really impressive how every new xeno race is worse than the last

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Looper posted:

Change the thread title to Read the Manual

Cannot stress how many questions can be resolved by reading the manual even a bit. It's covers everything fairly well.

How have people been laying out their soul voices? I took one look at the menu and kinda got lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

Cannot stress how many questions can be resolved by reading the manual even a bit. It's covers everything fairly well.

How have people been laying out their soul voices? I took one look at the menu and kinda got lost.
If you want to jump off into a dark abyss, it could really be tuned per party you set up because its all about setting up pitches to everybody else. I just split the call outs to balanced based on how useful some of the results are, and then set up your custom triggers based on what your class can do regarding debuffs or the other situational call outs.

Also some item iconography stuff like the resistance icons are oddly not in the manual, but is spelled out in the character status menu.

• Locked thread