Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
The number of repeats and segments from other podcasts in the last year has soured my opinion of This American Life.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

bad day posted:

The number of repeats and segments from other podcasts in the last year has soured my opinion of This American Life.
:goonsay:

Honestly I get producing some of their long form investigative episodes takes time, but for fucks sake I wish they'd just say "Yo this is a repeat." up top.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I just listened to #565 Lower 9 + 10. I was kind of skipping this one because I didn't want to be super depressed, and no doubt there was some truly tragic sad stuff in this episode.

However when they re-united those 2 friends via phone, Samuel and Terrence it made me smile.

"Not to caught you off, but you still talk the same."

:cry:

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 23, 2015

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

soggybagel posted:

I just listened to #565 Lower 9 + 10. I was kind of skipping this one because I didn't want to be super depressed, and no doubt there was some truly tragic sad stuff in this episode.

However when they re-united those 2 friends via phone, Samuel and Terrence it made me smile.

"Not to caught you off, but you still talk the same."

:cry:

Maybe I'M the soggy bagel because all I could think of that one was that one person was waaaaay happier than the other to be reunited. I got uncomfortable. Maybe that's my poo poo.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Maybe I'M the soggy bagel because all I could think of that one was that one person was waaaaay happier than the other to be reunited. I got uncomfortable. Maybe that's my poo poo.

Yeah I kept thinking about how I would feel if all of a sudden I was on the phone being recorded while I spoke to somebody I hadn't seen since I was a child and that sounds incredibly awkward to me. But yeah, maybe a more well adjusted person wouldn't feel that way.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm listening to "Status Update" now. It's interesting but do NOT listen to the first segment unless you can handle two teenage girls talking about likes on Instagram for 20 minutes.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

zakharov posted:

I'm listening to "Status Update" now. It's interesting but do NOT listen to the first segment unless you can handle two teenage girls talking about likes on Instagram for 20 minutes.

I always find these analyses of high school psychology fascinating, so I would say default listen unless you hate teenage girls :pedo:.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

zakharov posted:

That whole thing made me pretty depressed that I brought a girl into this world that's going to have to deal with that. Thankfully, by the time she gets there that poo poo will be as dated as Live Journal is now. (and replaced by something worse)

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Yeah that segment was pretty amazing to me. I was just glad we got an update on the proposal. I thought it would never come.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

zakharov posted:

As far as low effort TAL pieces I found it pretty excellent, although maybe that's just because I was unaware just how much the kids these days come out of the womb ready to market their personal brand :cry:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Anyone happen to know what Depeche Mode song is playing in the last video clip of act four?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Anyone happen to know what Depeche Mode song is playing in the last video clip of act four?

New Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnEhwmpjXI

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I'm talking about the one she's playing in the home movie clip, not the bumper. It's too slow to be New Life.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Maybe it's because I don't have kids, but I have a real aversion to people trying to present their average suburban childhood experiences as some poignant snapshot of Americana, I just don't give a poo poo if your family used to gather round the TV and watch sitcoms or whatever. So I'm really struggling with this Home Movies episode. I can enjoy it if they're great storytellers, but I'm on the third of these now and it's the same droney voice each time.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Behind the Wheel from Music for the Masses

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

axolotl farmer posted:

Behind the Wheel from Music for the Masses

Thank you!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hoops posted:

I can enjoy it if they're great storytellers, but I'm on the third of these now and it's the same droney voice each time.
Man, you ain't kiddin. I suffered through the first, slept through the second and part of the third (which just sort of ended), and gave up on the episode altogether when I heard that king drone himself was going to wind one away for the last act.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Sarah Vowell has the worst voice though. I even agree with people who complain about people complaining about women's voices; she has the most annoying voice ever. She and David Sedaris should make horrible chalkboard nail babies and unleash them upon the world.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think if i was on a radio show it would be fun to try and build a demographic profile of the people who wrote in to complain about my voice. once i was fairly certain that a big percentage of them were interested in subject X, i would do a story on it and deliberately not do the "annoying" things that the whiners always complain about. until about halfway into the piece, where I'd turn them back on and crank em up to 11 :getin:

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
In the case of Sarah Vowell it is not anything in particular she does, just the nature of her voice in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr2nGLhZcuE

But I like her books.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

bad day posted:

Sarah Vowell has the worst voice though. I even agree with people who complain about people complaining about women's voices; she has the most annoying voice ever. She and David Sedaris should make horrible chalkboard nail babies and unleash them upon the world.
I think Vowell's great. I kinda suspect that some other NPR voices try to imitate what she does naturally, though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If you're not familiar with or don't care about Frank Sinatra, you might want to skip this week's episode. It's an update of an episode that originally ran in 1997, and it's all about Sinatra, and as someone who doesn't care much about Sinatra, I thought it was dull as poo poo.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Planet Money's report on the Sinatra family business was interesting, though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the serial s2 thread is pretty funny to watch goons get all :spergin: and misunderstand the TAL style

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

How do you get used to Ira Glasses voice? Holy gently caress do I want to just punch him in the stomach

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i've always wondered if glass was one of those kids who couldn't say the "arr" or "ell" sounds and either had speech therapy or just tried to figure out his own way of overcoming it

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

How do you get used to Ira Glasses voice? Holy gently caress do I want to just punch him in the stomach

Haha, my first thought when I started listening is, "this 24 year old kid is never gonna make it in radio".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

another thing about some of the dudes on radio shows, like ira glass and kurt anderson (on studio 360), is that sometimes i swear they are trying to set a record for the number of gumballs in their mouth while being a radio host

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What does that mean? Like, it sounds like something's in their cheeks, something's clicking on their teeth, is there a chewing noise, what?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

are you deaf irl? ira glass sounds like he might be sucking on a couple of cough drops like at all times, how is this hard to giggle about at all

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I appreciate Ira Glass' radio voice, because he's the only person in world history who looks exactly like his voice sounds.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I appreciate Ira Glass' radio voice, because he's the only person in world history who looks exactly like his voice sounds.

He looks like an awkward 25 year old? Me thinks not.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

UltraRed posted:

He looks like an awkward 25 year old? Me thinks not.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Hoops posted:

I can enjoy it if they're great storytellers, but I'm on the third of these now and it's the same droney voice each time.

doctorfrog posted:

Man, you ain't kiddin. I suffered through the first, slept through the second and part of the third (which just sort of ended), and gave up on the episode altogether when I heard that king drone himself was going to wind one away for the last act.
Ughhh. I couldn't help but think of these posts for the entirety of the most recent episode.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Does anybody know where I might have previously heard the Jay Larson routine on this episode? I don't think I've seen any of his specials or TV sets, so I feel like it must have been another podcast. I found his appearance on Put Your Hands Together, but it doesn't have that same routine.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've heard that story before too but I assumed it was on The Crab Feast. I'm guessing you don't listen to that though, because I'm sure you would have thought that too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I dunno, I think Carl Kasell definitely qualifies.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

For like the first 20 years of my life I thought Roy Blount, Jr. was a large black man

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Please help me, for the last 20 years I, a person with insane right wing opinions, have told other people with insane right wing opinions what to do, and they always did, but now they want to vote for someone who's equally insane :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

cebrail posted:

Please help me, for the last 20 years I, a person with insane right wing opinions, have told other people with insane right wing opinions what to do, and they always did, but now they want to vote for someone who's equally insane :iiam:

No see, Ted Cruz is the Real Christian in the race. As the Lord once said: "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have colossal assholery for one another."

• Locked thread