Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Return to dominaria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Return to dominaria
Dominaria is boring and if you like it then you're boring

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Not if the eldrazi and phyrexians battle there!!!!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I mean, if we want to reduce an already post apocalyptic wasteland into absolutely nothing at all, sure!

I'd rather go back when we have people reviving the brothers' old inventions and having a Mad Max knock off with artifact bikes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Froghammer posted:

Dominaria is boring and if you like it then you're boring
I want to see phyrexian slivers and if you don't then you are a butt

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Return to dominaria

This but unironically.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
It was regrowing already in Future Sight. New Benalia, Llanowar Reborn and so on. Back around to exactly the same boring stuff we had before, but without hosed up planeswalkers and Phyrexians to make it slightly interesting.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
E: The forums are a glitch.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Froghammer posted:

Maro's article today spoils Ken Nagle's mystery mechanic that a) didn't work and b) left a hole in the New Phyrexia design file so large they had to come up with something at the last minute to fix it, which turned out to be Phyrexian mana.

Spoiler warning: it's super dumb.

The spoiler alert was correct, Maro's article today is super dumb.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

New phyrexia, Nagle wants a splashy mechanic and naturally turns to the stupid 2 card 99/99 creature from loving unglued because of course he does. Everybody is like "absolutely not", but Nagle keeps pushing it. Has to get cut for phyrexian mana.

See, I think this is a very flavorful take on splicing together creatures to make phyrexian compleations and horrors in the spirit of Yawgmoth's original tinkering. Compleation is a great flavor for Phyrexia and one of the things that consistently drives their horror aspect.

Except Bestow, creature enchantments, and equipment all do this better, because Ken Nagle doesn't know how to design within the existing mechanics.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Dumb, but unsurprising. Even the best experts in any field sometimes get attached to very bad ideas. No matter how good you are, you need a few people to give honest criticism. When a well regarded leader is given absolute power and fails spectacularly, this is probably the reason why.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

See, I think this is a very flavorful take on splicing together creatures to make phyrexian compleations and horrors in the spirit of Yawgmoth's original tinkering. Compleation is a great flavor for Phyrexia and one of the things that consistently drives their horror aspect.

Except Bestow, creature enchantments, and equipment all do this better, because Ken Nagle doesn't know how to design within the existing mechanics.

Also living weapon did it really well I think

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Yawgmoth posted:

I want to see phyrexian slivers and if you don't then you are a butt

Oh man, some Phyrexian finds one of Venser's slivers and is like, "wait, what the gently caress is this?" and they reverse-engineer it and construct a whole compleated hive and little kid me who bought all the Tempest comic books is kind of having a minor freak out in my head right now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Maro's forbidden mechanic just ended up being used in Hearthstone with Ysera anyway. It's not entirely the same but the concept of broken strong cards you can only get through an intermediary card is there.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
The forbidden mechanic is already in Magic, too - it's just the Wish mechanic, and tournaments have been able to support it in constructed just fine. I can see not wanting to support it in limited, though.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I can kind of see them bringing Wishes back, it's an interesting mechanic that can be appropriately powered for Standard. However, they are completely nonfunctional in casual formats without sideboards, and there may be enough sanctioned Commander/2HG out there for that to matter.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ranpire posted:

The forbidden mechanic is already in Magic, too - it's just the Wish mechanic, and tournaments have been able to support it in constructed just fine. I can see not wanting to support it in limited, though.

I think they have already said at some point the Wish mechanic isn't coming back except in reprints because while it dose promote these crazy wishboards and fun; it's hard to play against/around and is generally confusing for people outside of a tournament.

Personally I quite like it in a limited format though. I wish MODO Cube supported it cause that would be fun. Though then you'd just get (more) broken poo poo; but it's cube so broken poo poo is half the fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Not if the eldrazi and phyrexians battle there!!!!

Return to Phyrexia, the real one, even though that never actually happened.

I'm sure some kind of evil poo poo is still there.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Allstone posted:

Maro actually posted on his tumblr that they could reprint split second - they'd just rejig the reminder text.

I wouldn't quit Magic, but I'd quit judging. The name "split second" is the worst thing Wizards has ever done to judges. I was just starting out judging then, but I became exhausted trying to convince people that "split second" didn't mean they could just ignore priority, or ignore timing restrictions, or prevent triggered abilities from entering the stack, or freeze the stack and force the whole thing to resolve. I remember an argument over it so intense that a drink was thrown before I even got to the table to give a ruling. It involved Extirpate and Seething Song.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I wouldn't quit Magic, but I'd quit judging. The name "split second" is the worst thing Wizards has ever done to judges. I was just starting out judging then, but I became exhausted trying to convince people that "split second" didn't mean they could just ignore priority, or ignore timing restrictions, or prevent triggered abilities from entering the stack, or freeze the stack and force the whole thing to resolve. I remember an argument over it so intense that a drink was thrown before I even got to the table to give a ruling. It involved Extirpate and Seething Song.
Who knows, the reminder text could end up being "(When you cast this spell, players can’t cast spells or activate abilities that aren’t mana abilities until it resolves. <Something something this doesn't mean you ignore timing, priority, or triggered abilities>)". I really doubt they don't look for judge feedback on reminder text amendments.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Allstone posted:

Who knows, the reminder text could end up being "(When you cast this spell, players can’t cast spells or activate abilities that aren’t mana abilities until it resolves. <Something something this doesn't mean you ignore timing, priority, or triggered abilities>)". I really doubt they don't look for judge feedback on reminder text amendments.

"When" is misleading because it makes it sound like a triggered ability. I'd go with something like "Players can't [...] between the time this spell is cast and the time it resolves."

But the more important point is the fact that you (meaning Wizards) are never going to win the arms race with people who are congenitally unable to parse any but the simplest rules text, so you may as well just concede that particular battle and let the rest of us have cool things.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ranpire posted:

Wishes are about getting cards outside the game. Forbidden is about printing impossibly busted cards and trying to balance them by making you jump through hoops to get them. Just happens to be really similar hoops as wishes.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
If I'm really bad at sealed would participating in a GP be a bad idea? GP Vancouver is coming up and it's 60 CAD for the sealed event, the promo, the playmat and a $20 side event voucher, so I'm tempted to just skip the OGW prerelease and go to that instead.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

superstepa posted:

If I'm really bad at sealed would participating in a GP be a bad idea? GP Vancouver is coming up and it's 60 CAD for the sealed event, the promo, the playmat and a $20 side event voucher, so I'm tempted to just skip the OGW prerelease and go to that instead.

As a fellow Canadian who lives 17 hours away from the nearest GP location, gently caress you if you do this thing, go to the GP

E: I parsed that as skipping the GP for the prerelease, sorry, go to the GP

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 8, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

"When" is misleading because it makes it sound like a triggered ability. I'd go with something like "Players can't [...] between the time this spell is cast and the time it resolves."

But the more important point is the fact that you (meaning Wizards) are never going to win the arms race with people who are congenitally unable to parse any but the simplest rules text, so you may as well just concede that particular battle and let the rest of us have cool things.

Wouldn't it just say "When you cast this spell, no other spells can be cast until it resolves" or something?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Wouldn't it just say "When you cast this spell, no other spells can be cast until it resolves" or something?

no player may cast spells or activate abilities.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

no player may cast spells or activate abilities.

judge help how does this work with my Deep-Sea Kraken

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is Ken Nagle literally the most consistently bad designer of ever?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lancelot posted:

Is Ken Nagle literally the most consistently bad designer of ever?

I really don't like Ken Nagle, but I think we tend to hear a lot more about his successes than his failures because his failures are so outlandish.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah Maro has said that Nagle's main strength is his ability to think way outside the box. Sometimes the box is there for a reason, though, and it doesn't work out, and then we hear about it and make fun of him.

Also he had a really stupid Phyrexian costume one time.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

superstepa posted:

My plan is to go to the GP, maybe scrub out to play side events. And Drink Heavily.

If anybody wants to hangout and drink beers after nerd cards, or play nerd cards or do a drink and draft or whatever at GP Van, well I'll be the guy who knows good local places to drink.

Also Bon's for breakfast.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Nagle is apparently good at churning out designs which makes him a good design team member, but all his leads have been flawed at best (WWK, NPH, RTR, BTG, FRF)

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/283 Check out #7 and #10 for the depths of his insanity

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Nagle is apparently good at churning out designs which makes him a good design team member, but all his leads have been flawed at best (WWK, NPH, RTR, BTG, FRF)

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/283 Check out #7 and #10 for the depths of his insanity

I love the comments.

TML 11/27/2012: Now makes lands indestructible. Hooray! Also is gold because I guess this just is gold and all our mythic rares are gold forever.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

Again, "when" has a special meaning in magic. It means it's a triggered ability, which means that you could respond to it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As you cast this spell, no player can cast other spells or activate non-mana abilities until it resolves.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

quote:

NAGLE!
I met someone from Wizards who worked on Kaijudo a year or so ago and we talked about Nagle. I voiced my issues and the guy listened and then he told me that Nagle sat down and drafted a new Kaijudo set once and rattled off a list of a commons the designer should consider adding. Nagle's basically a bottomless pit of potential design and that's pretty valuable to a group trying to design several hundred cards a year.

quote:

Split Second
Until this spell resolves, players cannot play spells or activate abilities. Triggered abilities still trigger.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Nagle also catches flak for structural issues that were not his decision - I.e, BNG getting its mechanics gutted for JOU, and worldwake having two major development failures in it. SFM was a planning failure too.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ramos posted:

As you cast this spell, no player can cast other spells or activate non-mana abilities until it resolves.

Some Numbers posted:

Until this spell resolves, players cannot play spells or activate abilities. Triggered abilities still trigger.
I think "resolves" is just as bad as "stack".

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nagle is a big doodoo head!!!

I think the dude is creative, and thinks up some weird rear end designs which is both A) Great for keeping the game fresh and B) lovely for trying to balance the game with weird new mechanics.

Him dressing up like a phyrexian is still funny though. He also has some less-than-favorable quotes like how he designed a few cards with some of his EDH decks in mind, but thats pretty minor in my book since Im sure every designer who still actively plays does something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Nagle hates dredge which makes me dread him returning to set leads. I hope he gets therapy for his grave trolling. He really shouldn't burn his bridges with graveyard creatures, I hope he comes to some kind of breakthrough with that angle of design.

Um that said what the gently caress wizards the problem with your coverage was definitely that there was too much of it?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/magic-tournament-video-coverage-2016-2015-12-08

oh maybe it's not all awful news:

quote:

Finally, we look forward to adding some new faces to Magic coverage in 2016. We will announce the lineup of who you can expect to see, hear from, and read from in early 2016. We're really excited to tell you who will be working with us to bring you the best coverage possible.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread