Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I'm at a crossroads with the game on my first playthrough

Which faction will give me the most fun with my ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Manwithastick posted:

I'm at a crossroads with the game on my first playthrough

Which faction will give me the most fun with my ending?

They are all more or less equal:

BoS - King Assholes of the Wasteland, you help them eradicate all non-human life in the Wasteland
Railroad - The most even keeled of the 3. All they want to do is help Synths, gently caress everyone else
Institute - :science:

Minutemen - I can't figure out how to trigger this ending so don't know what to tell you. It's the one I would go with if I could figure it out :-/

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Which pieces of clothing that can be upgraded with ballistic weave can have armor worn over them? Right now I'm wearing Agatha's Dress for +3 CHA but I'd like something that I can wear armor over so I can get some radiation resistance. So far I've figured out the baseball uniform and army fatigues do but I'm not a huge fan of either

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20JG9CS15vs

It is not easy fending off loneliness as a raider.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Which pieces of clothing that can be upgraded with ballistic weave can have armor worn over them? Right now I'm wearing Agatha's Dress for +3 CHA but I'd like something that I can wear armor over so I can get some radiation resistance. So far I've figured out the baseball uniform and army fatigues do but I'm not a huge fan of either

Minuteman Outfit - Perception +1 Agility +1

Military Fatigues - Agility +2 +5 Eng Res

Green Shirt and Combat Boots - Charisma +1 Endurance +1

Dirty/Army Fatigues - Strength +1 Agility +1

Baseball Uniform - Strength +1 Agility +1

Tattered Rags - Luck +1 (possibly bugged to -1 Luck)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea in and of itself, it's more the implementation that falls flat. Between the blase voice acting ("They... they took my son. I have... to find Shaun. :geno:") and some very bland dialogue options, it doesn't really resonate as much as it seems like it could.

Oh yeah, the implementation of course isn't great but that's a different complaint entirely. People are acting like the premise alone keeps you from roleplaying and I don't see how compared to every game in the series BESIDES New Vegas.

coyo7e posted:

"What do you want?"

"FIND SHAUN"
"MY SON IS MISSING"
"KIDNAPPING"
"NEVERMIND"

I guess if you think that's good writing then, well, you should buy my new sci-fi trilogy which involves the protagonist's child being murdered/stolen immediately, before the protagonist wanders off to plant tatos and get radio deejays laid.

Can you actually name me some moments where the dialogue is like this outside of the main quest? Most of the time I remember my character being able to say "I'm looking for my kid" or some variation of "just wandering around/piss off"

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

SalTheBard posted:

Minutemen - I can't figure out how to trigger this ending so don't know what to tell you. It's the one I would go with if I could figure it out :-/

All you have to do is attack the Institute before you get locked into another faction. You can do this as soon as you reach the Institute for the first time if you want, although you may want to grab Virgil's serum first.

Also, for all those lamenting the endless quests from Preston, I've found that if you turn and run away from him as soon as he says he has another job for you, you can complete the ones you have and avoid him giving you new ones.

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014
You guys got the X-01 power armor? got it at 35 court... stuff is dank in pink. Be sure to be atleast level 28.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh yeah, the implementation of course isn't great but that's a different complaint entirely. People are acting like the premise alone keeps you from roleplaying and I don't see how compared to every game in the series BESIDES New Vegas.

Can you actually name me some moments where the dialogue is like this outside of the main quest? Most of the time I remember my character being able to say "I'm looking for my kid" or some variation of "just wandering around/piss off"

Yeah, it's Always

LOVE KID
SAY NOTHING
MISSING PERSON
NUNYA

for me

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Kraken posted:

You are so loving dumb. It's ridiculous how loving stupid you are.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

sector_corrector posted:

Says the guy that has dumped dozens of hours into the game he bitches about endlessly.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ahhhh the circle is repeating

everyone watch this with me instead i am starting it up after only learning about it now
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015843/Classic-Game-Postmortem

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Kraken posted:

Says the guy that has dumped dozens of hours into the game he bitches about endlessly.

I'm pretty convinced that you're a highly functioning illiterate.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Anyone else had issues hunting for holotapes and dead NPCs just not being there?

I've had this issue with this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATqbEs07a6c

Am I locked out of any achievements now?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is it worth going back to try New Vegas now? I tried back when it came out but I hated the controls. I'm sure there's mods out the rear end now, though. Is it enjoyable still?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Alabaster White posted:

Is it worth going back to try New Vegas now? I tried back when it came out but I hated the controls. I'm sure there's mods out the rear end now, though. Is it enjoyable still?

Try Project Nevada. It adds a lot of modern fps features such as sprinting, and a grenade hotkey.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ToxicAcne posted:

Try Project Nevada. It adds a lot of modern fps features such as sprinting, and a grenade hotkey.

Does that help with the weird floaty delay of the controls? When I played it, there was like a weird delay between pushing the stick and actually moving around. It felt really sluggish and awful and I couldn't aim for poo poo.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Sanctum posted:

A service that forces you to update games is not something I enjoy but, y'know, steam exclusive for PC and all. :sigh:

You're aware you can set games to not automatically update in steam, right?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I find it kind of annoying how far the range is to start a random event in the world is.

I know the ini has a setting to increase this range, but the base value is 1 and I'm not sure if it allows for decimal values. If it does, that might be a way to get the event range down.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Alabaster White posted:

Does that help with the weird floaty delay of the controls? When I played it, there was like a weird delay between pushing the stick and actually moving around. It felt really sluggish and awful and I couldn't aim for poo poo.

You have to go into the .ini files and disable mouse acceleration.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

MaliciousOnion posted:

All you have to do is attack the Institute before you get locked into another faction. You can do this as soon as you reach the Institute for the first time if you want, although you may want to grab Virgil's serum first.

Also, for all those lamenting the endless quests from Preston, I've found that if you turn and run away from him as soon as he says he has another job for you, you can complete the ones you have and avoid him giving you new ones.

O really? Well hot drat. If I've done Battle of Bunker Hill BUT NOT Mass Fusion am I good to go?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

sector_corrector posted:

Every post you've made in this thread is a complaint about bethesda games. Why are you still playing?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Emong posted:

All they really said is that you delivered packages to a town in what became the divide for a while (maybe a few years?). Ulysses just reads a lot into that.

The game actually says a lot of things about the Courier's background that apparently people have forgotten. The only difference is that most of it is optional dialogue stuff that you can ignore.

But then I also ignore the Shaun stuff most of the time in Fallout 4, it's not like it's impossible. :shrug:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I play all the way to level 41 on my first run through the game without ever running into a deathclaw in a situation where they actually seemed threatening. My itty bitty level 11 ninja runs into his first one INDOORS in a building otherwise full of raiders. Basically I unload a full bar of AP with a sneak attack volley that chips about 20% of its health off, then never get enough breathing room to go back into stealth and explode. I'm not nearly good enough at this game to play chicken dancing around the pillar in the room it spawns in for 10 minutes to whittle it down normally.

Oh Bethesda. Guess I had to make up for that sometime!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Toadsmash posted:

I play all the way to level 41 on my first run through the game without ever running into a deathclaw in a situation where they actually seemed threatening. My itty bitty level 11 ninja runs into his first one INDOORS in a building otherwise full of raiders. Basically I unload a full bar of AP with a sneak attack volley that chips about 20% of its health off, then never get enough breathing room to go back into stealth and explode. I'm not nearly good enough at this game to play chicken dancing around the pillar in the room it spawns in for 10 minutes to whittle it down normally.

I had one randomly drop on my head in a tiny little cave/tunnel in the Boston Mayoral Shelter and another in the Museum of Witchcraft.

I was also exploring an area and randomly found a circuit breaker that sets off a siren. Which caused two deathclaws to immediately spawn outside and trap me in the building. :negative:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Grinning Goblin posted:

Can't you choose your code name for the Railroad? I mean, that even changes what is written on a chalkboard. If that isn't some serious agency and roleplaying material, I don't know what is.

Because they don't have Ocelot or Fuckface as a codename. They give me so little to go with.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I kind of wish the melee speed was similar to Skyrim's for this reason. There's no real way to make it fun other than making melee kill most lesser things in one hit, which is only a very small improvement.

If you aren't having fun with a melee build, you're doing something wrong. It's a perk-intense build since you need maxed agility and high luck, good power armor, Pain Train, the sprinting perk, a jet pack, and lots of psychojet. If you don't have those, you're gonna have a bad time. Sneak melee is fun for a little bit, but full berserker is the only way to roll into the end game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I might be going a bit crazy with the console lately. I was trying to do a mission for the institute where you get back that synth at Libertalia and the BOS kept loving it all up. I'm supposed a meet a guy and then we head in to do the mission. The problem is I'd spawn in, go find him and then a vertibird would spawn and start attack raiders. The guy I'm meeting also aggros and now I can't even talk to him. I ended up reloading a save and just deleting the vertibird out of thin air. This left the BOS guys just hovering there so I had to individually delete them too. That will show them to crash my party.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fereydun posted:

i forgave him and he peaced out/sent his goons after me in the room and that's pretty much it for him

Bad example. Here's a better one : why can't I just say "gently caress the dam, I don't care who wins, I want no part of this fight. I'm a goddamn deliveryman, what do I care if these yahoos want to fight it out over a concrete wall?"

Point is, there's always a story that's gonna railroad you forward. The only way to choose 'I don't want to fight at the dam' is to deliberately avoid the main quest. Otherwise you gotta pick a side. You get no ending if you don't complete the MQ.

Likewise, you don't get to say "Screw it, I don't care about my son." unless you deliberately ignore the main quest. Otherwise you gotta hunt him down, choose a faction to side with, and so on.

ALSO

Pickham is awesome I love how he's a hosed up artist guy. Kinda like Sander Cohen, whom I always thought was the best character in Bioshock.

khy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 8, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not like they made you read a 600 page autobiography of your character here either. "Hurr I'm a lawyer" is about as fleshed out as "Hurr I'm a courier". And you just have a baby instead of a bullet in the head.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

khy posted:

Point is, there's always a story that's gonna railroad you forward. The only way to choose 'I don't want to fight at the dam' is to deliberately avoid the main quest. Otherwise you gotta pick a side. You get no ending if you don't complete the MQ.

Did you actually play New Vegas? Because you're trying to create a parallel that doesn't exist.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Back Hack posted:

Did you actually play New Vegas? Because you're trying to create a parallel that doesn't exist.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, all 4 final quests involve fighting at the dam

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

khy posted:

Bad example. Here's a better one : why can't I just say "gently caress the dam, I don't care who wins, I want no part of this fight. I'm a goddamn deliveryman, what do I care if these yahoos want to fight it out over a concrete wall?"

Likewise, you don't get to say "Screw it, I don't care about my son." unless you deliberately ignore the main quest. Otherwise you gotta hunt him down, choose a faction to side with, and so on.

It seems pretty natural to, as the courier, just wander around doing random stuff until for whatever reason you do enough quests for one of the factions and that leads to the battle at Hoover Dam. On the other hand, it seems extremely strange to just wander around doing random stuff when, anytime someone asks you what's up, your character has to say some variation of "OH GOD WEE BABY SHAUN WHERE ARE YOU?!?" Does this help you understand where people are coming from?

e: And also, regarding the battle at Hoover Dam as an inevitable ending point for the game-- all the endings coalesce here but the motivation for getting there and all the rest of it are completely unrelated to one another. Finding the institute and then either blowing it up or not blowing it up is always about finding baby Shaun, there is not other motivation you can roleplay as.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Fallout 4 doesn't let me swim to Europe to go skiing in the Alps, which is what my character really wants to do. Railroad garbage dumpster game 2/10 will not play again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People seem to keep trying to imagine that New Vegas somehow didn't force you into certain type of character in order to do the main quest. It's exactly the same as FO4. You can create a save right before you exit the vault where you get to change your appearance again. You can exit the vault and head straight to wherever you want and completely ignore the main quest. The only time you ever have to see anything about "MY BOY SHAUN" is in a few dialog options where you can just as easily talk about your son, your spouse, you're just out fuckin around or whatever. You're never forced to acknowledge you have a son until you do the main quest. Even then, there are still dialog options where you don't have to talk about your son.

If even a casual mention of something that doesn't fit into whatever weird role play you have destroys your game experience, you need to seek professional help.

Seashell Salesman posted:

It seems pretty natural to, as the courier, just wander around doing random stuff until for whatever reason you do enough quests for one of the factions and that leads to the battle at Hoover Dam. On the other hand, it seems extremely strange to just wander around doing random stuff when, anytime someone asks you what's up, your character has to say some variation of "OH GOD WEE BABY SHAUN WHERE ARE YOU?!?" Does this help you understand where people are coming from?

I've got a really great tip for you: STOP loving CLICKING THAT DIALOG OPTION. You aren't forced to talk about Shaun in any side quests.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Back Hack posted:

Not as much as most of the people who post in this thread. Until FO4 I was always more of a TES fanboy than a Fallout one, so I only have about 511 hours in it according to steam.

Seashell Salesman posted:

e: And also, regarding the battle at Hoover Dam as an inevitable ending point for the game-- all the endings coalesce here but the motivation for getting there and all the rest of it are completely unrelated to one another. Finding the institute and then either blowing it up or not blowing it up is always about finding baby Shaun, there is not other motivation you can roleplay as.

I dunno, if you have zero leads and zero information about where he might be then exiting the vault and going off at random is as effective a way as any to try to get some clues.

As for starting then wandering off mid-quest, I like to think of it as "The closer I get to finding my boy the more dangerous things seem to get around me; I need to work at getting stronger/get better equipment/find more allies/etc or I'll never survive to find my child."

E: Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding Coyote's point. I thought he was bitching because he didn't like the fact that the game's forcing a motivation on him that he doesn't care about (Finding the missing child), when more or less all games do that.

khy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 8, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Azhais posted:

It's not like they made you read a 600 page autobiography of your character here either. "Hurr I'm a lawyer" is about as fleshed out as "Hurr I'm a courier". And you just have a baby instead of a bullet in the head.
where's the mod where i get a baby in the head instead of a bullet

khy posted:

i don't really think that was coyote's point but i ain't here to argue it, i just wanted to let you know you could totally do that if you didn't since i got suckered the first time 'round

what i do want to know is if the angle on these shots seems off. they feel like they're too high but i can't really tell

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I might be going a bit crazy with the console lately. I was trying to do a mission for the institute where you get back that synth at Libertalia and the BOS kept loving it all up. I'm supposed a meet a guy and then we head in to do the mission. The problem is I'd spawn in, go find him and then a vertibird would spawn and start attack raiders. The guy I'm meeting also aggros and now I can't even talk to him. I ended up reloading a save and just deleting the vertibird out of thin air. This left the BOS guys just hovering there so I had to individually delete them too. That will show them to crash my party.

I had this happen as well, the first time it did I ended up waiting until he killed everyone, but then he proceeded to walk to the entire other side of the area, killing everyone in his way, before I could talk to him. Second time, I walked until I found the fast travel point, made sure the vertibird was coming, then fast travelled far away and back so the combat resolved. That worked very well.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Azhais posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, all 4 final quests involve fighting at the dam

Comparing a single element that is only required at the literal end of NV compared to something in F4 that you are constantly hounded by at every corner of the game is not a good comparison.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Toadsmash posted:

If that's the same buiilding I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure you're supposed to nope out of there after grabbing a fusion core which unlocks a door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Cojawfee posted:

People seem to keep trying to imagine that New Vegas somehow didn't force you into certain type of character in order to do the main quest. It's exactly the same as FO4. You can create a save right before you exit the vault where you get to change your appearance again. You can exit the vault and head straight to wherever you want and completely ignore the main quest. The only time you ever have to see anything about "MY BOY SHAUN" is in a few dialog options where you can just as easily talk about your son, your spouse, you're just out fuckin around or whatever. You're never forced to acknowledge you have a son until you do the main quest. Even then, there are still dialog options where you don't have to talk about your son.

If even a casual mention of something that doesn't fit into whatever weird role play you have destroys your game experience, you need to seek professional help.

I've got a really great tip for you: STOP loving CLICKING THAT DIALOG OPTION. You aren't forced to talk about Shaun in any side quests.

I honestly don't even remember which options I picked during these conversations because I was furiously trying to click past the male VA, but I seem to recall all of them were some personal beef stemming from the intro section. Is there another guy who will pay you to go kill Kellogg for him or something? Can the BoS tell you to track him down?

• Locked thread