Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

And that sports and portable have something to do with each other etymologically. Pyeuh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironicism
Apr 2, 2011
I picked up a random episode of the Joe Rogan Experience podcast because I'm running out of poo poo to listen to. Two hours in I realize, oh hey that's the Fear Factor guy. :downs:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Do you listen to the Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast? You should.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I just figured out that "up to 15% or more" basically means nothing.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xun posted:

I just figured out that "up to 15% or more" basically means nothing.

It's not the "up to" that's meaningless, it's the part where they say it's only among people who switched to geicko.

Since, obviously, if they were quoted a higher price then they didn't switch.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wanamingo posted:

It's not the "up to" that's meaningless, it's the part where they say it's only among people who switched to geicko.

Since, obviously, if they were quoted a higher price then they didn't switch.

The "up to" isn't meaningless on its own, the whole phrase including it is. "Up to 15%" means 0-15, and "15% or more" means 15-100, so "up to 15% or more" means a saving of 0%-100%, or any goddamn amount whatsoever.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin posted:

The "up to" isn't meaningless on its own, the whole phrase including it is. "Up to 15%" means 0-15, and "15% or more" means 15-100, so "up to 15% or more" means a saving of 0%-100%, or any goddamn amount whatsoever.

With geicko at least, which I assume is what Xun was referring to, they don't even say "up to". Their slogan is that 15 minutes could save you 15% or more, which sounds better but still doesn't mean much because they're only counting people who switched.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

With geicko at least, which I assume is what Xun was referring to, they don't even say "up to". Their slogan is that 15 minutes could save you 15% or more, which sounds better but still doesn't mean much because they're only counting people who switched.

Also, making it hypothetical (it "could save you 15%") means they're not saying it will, so it only has to be true for someone who switches from their worst competitor's worst option to their best one.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ironicism posted:

I picked up a random episode of the Joe Rogan Experience podcast because I'm running out of poo poo to listen to. Two hours in I realize, oh hey that's the NewsRadio guy. :downs:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
For Navy/navigate guy, Wikipedia says:
Navigation: "The term stems from 1530s, from Latin navigationem (nom. navigatio), from navigatus, pp. of navigare "to sail, sail over, go by sea, steer a ship," from navis "ship" and the root of agere "to drive"."
Navy: First attested in English in the early 14th century,[1] the word "navy" came via Old French navie, "fleet of ships", from the Latin navigium, "a vessel, a ship, bark, boat",[2] from navis, "ship".[3] The word "naval" came from Latin navalis, "pertaining to ship";[4] cf. Greek ναῦς (naus), "ship",[5] ναύτης (nautes), "seaman, sailor".[6] The earliest attested form of the word is in the Mycenaean Greek compound word 𐀙𐀄𐀈𐀗, na-u-do-mo (*naudomoi), "shipbuilders", written in Linear B syllabic script."

So I guess there might be some similarities?

Ironicism
Apr 2, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Do you listen to the Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast? You should.

I haven't, but it's going on my list :tipshat:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's "Immortan Joe", not (with an Ozzy accent) "Me mornin' Joe!" (coffee) :doh:

ArcMage posted:

Transparent alumina is just sapphires and such, and we were definitely working on the engineered ceramics at the time, though we sure as hell weren't building whale tanks from them.

Actually, it's slightly different.

1.) This isn't sapphire/corundum (Aluminum oxide, which companies can't even use for phone screens still), this is the real deal; used in bullet proof glass (it's the same material mentioned in Jurassic World, in that lovely Jimmy Fallon bit).

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

Mister Macys posted:

It's "Immortan Joe", not (with an Ozzy accent) "Me mornin' Joe!" (coffee) :doh:

Actually, it's slightly different.

1.) This isn't sapphire/corundum (Aluminum oxide, which companies can't even use for phone screens still), this is the real deal; used in bullet proof glass (it's the same material mentioned in Jurassic World, in that lovely Jimmy Fallon bit).

Also, it's Aussie, not Ozzy. Unless you mean a Brummie accent.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Bad Roy posted:

Also, it's Aussie, not Ozzy. Unless you mean a Brummie accent.

An Ozzy accent would be an incoherent mumble punctuated with profanity.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

nexus6 posted:

An Ozzy accent would be an incoherent mumble punctuated with profanity.

This is coincidentally also an Aussie accent :v:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Holy crap

In Malcolm in the Middle all of the boys except Francis are some sort of geniuses (Reese in cooking, Malcolm in most things, Dewey in music, Jamie in general). Lot of fun is being poked about Hal's obsession about crazy things in every other episode, but what I have missed thus far is that ultimately, he is loving amazing in whatever he takes up, be it building a robot, Dance Dance Revolution, painting, rollerblading, powerwalking, etc.

Hal is a genius! They get it from Hal!

(Except Francis who is painfully, obviously, his mother in a disturbingly Freudian way)

Also the kids are all sociopaths pretty much since birth and Hal and Lois were a genuinely perfect, loving couple before they came into the picture and despite all the obstacles their children put in their way manage to stay as such.

DarkCrawler has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Dec 9, 2015

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
A case could be made that Francis is a genius at reading people. He used it mostly to antagonize everyone, especially Lois, until he got married.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Skaw posted:

A case could be made that Francis is a genius at reading people. He used it mostly to antagonize everyone, especially Lois, until he got married.

He's anti-Lois, they both are just at their most natural when they buck against somebody - for Francis, primarily Lois and any authority figure, for Lois her children and any authority figure that disagreed with her on anything. And he kept antagonizing Lois pretty routinely after getting married too :v:

The true genius with people is also Dewey though. Francis honestly wins on being the worst of them all though.

DarkCrawler has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Dec 9, 2015

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, he kept antagonizing Lois after he got married, but he let up on everyone else. They do eventually bury the hatchet though in that episode where both of them have to deal with taking care of Lois' mom. I still maintain that Francis was a genius with people. Dewey just managed to eke out some empathy for others leading in to his teen years, which made him a natural leader for the troubled kids in his class. He didn't really use those kids for his own personal gain, which Francis would've at the drop of a hat.

Man, I miss Malcom in the Middle.

Skaw has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Dec 9, 2015

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Complacent and Complaisant are both real words that each mean a different thing.

I learned that when I called someone a giant idiot for writing 'complaisant'.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Skaw posted:

Yeah, he kept antagonizing Lois after he got married, but he let up on everyone else. They do eventually bury the hatchet though in that episode where both of them have to deal with taking care of Lois' mom. I still maintain that Francis was a genius with people. Dewey just managed to eke out some empathy for others leading in to his teen years, which made him a natural leader for the troubled kids in his class. He didn't really use those kids for his own personal gain, which Francis would've at the drop of a hat.

Man, I miss Malcom in the Middle.

Dewey had the most developed conscience of any of them, but he played his family and bystanders like a fiddle, Francis included. He just never targeted anyone who didn't deserve it. More often then not Francis got the poo poo-end of the stick when he tried to play someone (almost all his sub-plots eventually end with him suffering) while Dewey almost always coasted through. (And I don't think they really bury the hatchet for good. In the finale Francis is still pretending to be a slacker just to torture his mom)

Definitely one of the most underrated shows ever. Kind of a semi-SFW proto-Shameless. Really one of the few shows I watched as a child that made it clear that you definitely shouldn't sympathize with the protagonists (but you did because you were a kid).

DarkCrawler has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Dec 10, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
"Compound" meaning (roughly) "a group of things gathered together" and "compound" meaning "a protected group of buildings" are apparently not the same word (the latter seems to come from Malay, not Latin).

(This is "found out", not "figured out", it just took me a little by surprise. :))

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stolen from somebody in DnD

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Wanamingo posted:

Huh, so that's why the nationalists are always waving the St. George's Cross.

I should probably be ashamed that I didn't know it was the flag of England but eh.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The worst Star Trek: TNG episodes were the ones with Deanna Troi's mother. There were so drat many of them, I didn't get it.

But I just realized that that actor played Nurse Chapel in the original series.

It make so much more sense now.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

The worst Star Trek: TNG episodes were the ones with Deanna Troi's mother. There were so drat many of them, I didn't get it.

But I just realized that that actor played Nurse Chapel in the original series.

It make so much more sense now.

And she was also creator Gene Roddenberry's wife.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Stairs posted:

And she was also creator Gene Roddenberry's wife.

Well poo poo. It now finally, finally makes sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

The worst Star Trek: TNG episodes were the ones with Deanna Troi's mother.

Lwaxana Troi was great. The worst episodes were the Borg ones, :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Lavender posted:

Well poo poo. It now finally, finally makes sense.

She was also the voice of the computer and returned as Lwaxana (idk) for some terrible DS9 episodes.

It kinda made me wonder if she had something on paramount or desilu or her dead husband.

Like Mrs. Olsen from Little House just rocketed in to Space Journey and started sucking.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Stop sucking up to Ralp

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Oh, bullshit. Next you're going to tell me that Wesley Crusher isn't a terrible character.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, bullshit. Next you're going to tell me that Wesley Crusher isn't a terrible character.

No, he was terrible. His mother too. I wish they'd kept Dr Pulaski.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

That boy is an inspiration.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I grew up watching Star Trek: The One with Data and was well into my teens before I realized that he was a robot not a space albino

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
There's an episode of Always Sunny where Frank and his brother are telling a story of their youth wherein they are competing for the affections of a beautiful singer. When they first say her name it's so absurdly elegant to the ears that I didn't realize that it was in fact an incredibly crass name for a black woman.

Sha-Dynasty

is actually

Shady Nasty

:doh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wanamingo posted:

Needs a dragon on top.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

speshl guy posted:

There's an episode of Always Sunny where Frank and his brother are telling a story of their youth wherein they are competing for the affections of a beautiful singer. When they first say her name it's so absurdly elegant to the ears that I didn't realize that it was in fact an incredibly crass name for a black woman.

Sha-Dynasty

is actually

Shady Nasty

:doh:

So the part where the bar was named "Shadynasty's" didn't clue you in?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

The Mentalizer posted:

So the part where the bar was named "Shadynasty's" didn't clue you in?

Yeah my brain basically processed the written version how everyone was saying it in the show

"Oh yeah okay so that place is called Sha-Dynasty's too"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

speshl guy posted:

Yeah my brain basically processed the written version how everyone was saying it in the show

"Oh yeah okay so that place is called Sha-Dynasty's too"

And when they outright point it out in the scene with the bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
A guy in the episode literally says "Why is the bar called Shady Nasty's?"