Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
edit: it all makes sense now:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bimmi posted:

In all fairness to eBay Tallgeese guy, nowhere in the listing is the model described as "MG," though it sure as poo poo is not a Bandai product.

?

It's also down in the description too.

Oh poo poo, yeah, that image fits perfectly. The old NG was weird but there were some parts that didn't look quite as bad, that's an exact fit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty rare, but I doubt it's worth 50 bucks in that condition. An accurate description wouldn't hurt.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

With all the ups/downs in each iteration of the RX-78 MG, I'm glad I'm holding out for the Origin one as my first RX-78.

Also lol @ trying to sell a completed MG for three times the price. Maybe that'd work if he'd painted it red?

I got the oyw version coming in soon, and I got it for 30 bucks, so I think it's a good deal.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

I got the oyw version coming in soon, and I got it for 30 bucks, so I think it's a good deal.

They got any left? I have an HLJ order coming in, but it's gonna up the cost of shipping enough that I could probably just get it at Gundam Planet instead. I always like going to those guys, if for no other reason that it's too darn close to awesome Korean restaurants to miss the opportunity to take the wife out for lunch afterwards.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

They got any left? I have an HLJ order coming in, but it's gonna up the cost of shipping enough that I could probably just get it at Gundam Planet instead. I always like going to those guys, if for no other reason that it's too darn close to awesome Korean restaurants to miss the opportunity to take the wife out for lunch afterwards.

I was just searching Amazon.ca and managed to see it listed for like thirty bucks with free shipping. It's around 40 now. I don't know why the price dropped so much, but I grabbed it when the price was low.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
ver.OYW still the best:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 7, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Howdy folks.

As a couple of you have probably noticed, ACES CURE PLANES has been under probation. Having spent a decent chunk of the evening talking to him about the matter, this thread, and gunpla in general, I've come to realization that I was misinformed when I made that judgment call, and would like to apologize both to him for slapping him with a probation he didn't deserve, and to the thread for generating an atmosphere of uncertainty as to what can and can't be reasonably (and safely) discussed. I was in error, and have since sent a memo to the administrative staff asking that his probation be retracted (though with only half a day left it may be a bit late for that).

Regarding "Bootleg" chat, now that I've a clearer picture of the situation and its nuances, the only unofficial products I'll be coming down on are 1:1 exact "But cheaper!" recreations which exist explicitly to undercut legitimate products - which I understand this thread is pretty good about jumping on and kicking out anyway. Reproductions of Japan-only limited releases, out-of-stock products, custom variants (such as the detailed DM Unicorn ACES was probated for), and the like may all continue to be discussed without fear of being labeled as "Advocacy."

I apologize for any inconvenience my interference might've caused and hope this well-behaved, otherwise drama-free thread will now be back on track.

TL;DR I done goofed, everything's now back as it was.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Glad to see that's all hashed out, then.

DM's PG Unicorn is tempting, since ever since I saw PG Unicorn in person I've kind of wanted to get one for my club to work on. But the logistics of that seem crazy, and I'm not really sure what I'd do with it once we finish. I think I've gotten enough Unicorns at this point, you know?

In other news MG mkII 2.0 is like, really cool. Suuuuper cool. It's amazing how old the thing is (doesn't even have an AB peg!) compared to just how cool it is. My only regret is that the Titans color scheme means nubs like you wouldn't believe.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also official word from Derringer on the steadily decreasing number of general release MGs:

quote:

No, the only reason RE/100 exists now is Bandai has more or less run out of designs to put in MG that have a mainstream audience and aren't cost prohibitive and also have another major license having resources redirected ( Star Wars). Remember Bandai is one of the few model companies that reprints nearly their entire 2000+ kit catalog. They have to be choosey now for what's left if they want to maintain that practice.

The focus of RE/100 would have been different from what it is now if released back then I imagine.

And for those wondering about the whole "Bandai can't sell Star Wars kits in America" thing, weeeeell

quote:

What happened is Bandai always only had a license for sale and manufacture in Japan for their star wars model kits. This is because Disney Japan only has rights to give license for their own territory, Japan. In order to sell outside they need to contact Disney [insert name of country or region here ] and pay the rape you in the rear end license and royalty fees to that Disney branch. They succeeded to secure rights in the neighboring countries of asia recently. As part of that agreement to sell through officially recognized channels, Bandai was told to tell its JP retailers to enforce the terms of their license, i.e. Stores in JP cannot sell outside of JP. All the big ones like hlj and amiami which are the most recognized were affected.

So now Bandai is selling even moreeee star wars kits. And thanks to disney, bandai is forced to split their resources to match Disney's outrageously high minimum guarantee of sales and also pump out x number of releases per year.

So yeah, embrace P-Bandai and RE/100.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

At least those Star Wars kits are really nice.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's been clear for a while now that the safe bets for MG are all but played out. The line will live on but the glory days are done.

I wonder what will change once the Star Wars thing has run its course. Would be nice to see more than four RE/100s per year.

Oh, and it's not been heavily publicized, but Dragon Models just announced that they've got the Star Wars license too and have teased a sweet-rear end AT-AT as their first release. They are a big company and no slouch when it comes to quality, so this is pretty cool news.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Howdy folks.

As a couple of you have probably noticed, ACES CURE PLANES has been under probation. Having spent a decent chunk of the evening talking to him about the matter, this thread, and gunpla in general, I've come to realization that I was misinformed when I made that judgment call, and would like to apologize both to him for slapping him with a probation he didn't deserve, and to the thread for generating an atmosphere of uncertainty as to what can and can't be reasonably (and safely) discussed. I was in error, and have since sent a memo to the administrative staff asking that his probation be retracted (though with only half a day left it may be a bit late for that).

Regarding "Bootleg" chat, now that I've a clearer picture of the situation and its nuances, the only unofficial products I'll be coming down on are 1:1 exact "But cheaper!" recreations which exist explicitly to undercut legitimate products - which I understand this thread is pretty good about jumping on and kicking out anyway. Reproductions of Japan-only limited releases, out-of-stock products, custom variants (such as the detailed DM Unicorn ACES was probated for), and the like may all continue to be discussed without fear of being labeled as "Advocacy."

I apologize for any inconvenience my interference might've caused and hope this well-behaved, otherwise drama-free thread will now be back on track.

TL;DR I done goofed, everything's now back as it was.

Seafood consulted me about it and I was under the mistaken impression that it was just a straight-up Unicorn bootleg.

I'm sorry Aces

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Eh don't worry too much about it. I just know that I'm really down for that DM PG Unicorn because, well, my penchant for panel lines and other high detail stuff is known by now. If it pans out, I'll probably grab it and NASCAR it up with a million decals alongside the panel lines and stuff. But I know some folks aren't into that kinda stuff like I am so the different armor might put them off. For me though, I've got five MG Unicorns, and a 1/60 MG is less appealing than the more detailed DM one.

Still no news on if they'll be offering assorted extras like the P-Bandai FA pack or different frame colors though.

Also, that MG news still makes me sad. You've got tons of Wing stuff, Bandai, and the frames are done too. Please?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Eh don't worry too much about it. I just know that I'm really down for that DM PG Unicorn because, well, my penchant for panel lines and other high detail stuff is known by now. If it pans out, I'll probably grab it and NASCAR it up with a million decals alongside the panel lines and stuff. But I know some folks aren't into that kinda stuff like I am so the different armor might put them off. For me though, I've got five MG Unicorns, and a 1/60 MG is less appealing than the more detailed DM one.

Still no news on if they'll be offering assorted extras like the P-Bandai FA pack or different frame colors though.

Also, that MG news still makes me sad. You've got tons of Wing stuff, Bandai, and the frames are done too. Please?

I really want them to make the last two wing gundams, even if they're mostly just recolors

edit: by wing gundams i mean gundams from gundam wing, not variants of the wing gundam

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I just want all of the Heavyarms in the world. Heavyarms Custom TV, Heavyarms Custom OVA, Prometheus, whatever other gatling gun nonsense Frozen Teardrop added, just drown me in gatlings. :getin:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hell we could at least get a Rick Dom 2.0.

(Or, yknow, the shuffle alliance!)

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Anonymous Robot posted:

(Or, yknow, the shuffle alliance!)

That ship has sailed, lad. Let it go.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You can pretty much make MG Heavyarms Custom vEW and MG Sandrock Custom vEW yourself, just get the old 1/100s. I think a third party bootleg confirmed that the 1/100 Sandrock's cloak worked with the MG's connectors, and all you have to do to the Heavyarms is slap on the 1/100's gatlings.

Of course you'd have to paint them, which might be a deal breaker.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

That ship has sailed, lad. Let it go.

let the man dream.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone, anyone, make a 1/100 Qubeley Papillon :-(

Beggin' ya here

So for bootlegs, is it kosher to discuss bootlegs that have no Bandai equivalent? I'd love to go into detail on the 1/100 Skygrasper and Moebius Zero once I start their builds.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MJP posted:

So for bootlegs, is it kosher to discuss bootlegs that have no Bandai equivalent? I'd love to go into detail on the 1/100 Skygrasper and Moebius Zero once I start their builds.

He said anything that isn't a 1:1 "Bandai but cheaper" deal is good. So things like that one off-brand Sazabi or whatever it was that came up like a year ago or so would be no go, but other than that, it seems pretty free range. Something that's a complete unique mold from start to finish though wouldn't be a problem at all, even if the rules were stricter, I think.

Also, yes, we need a (Rick) Dom 2.0 like yesterday.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Really sad to hear about MGs. I know they'll keep making some but MGs and PGs are all I really get.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

MJP posted:

With all the ups/downs in each iteration of the RX-78 MG, I'm glad I'm holding out for the Origin one as my first RX-78.

Also lol @ trying to sell a completed MG for three times the price. Maybe that'd work if he'd painted it red?

Get the 2.0 MG. It's a lot better in terms of structure than the 3.0. I'm holding off buying the Rx-78-02 until I finish my new spraying booth.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RX-78-02 looks to a more refined version of the 2.0, which is impressive because the 2.0 was already insanely good.

It's pretty much the definitive MG RX-78-2 now, with the 2.0/OYW being for people who prefer the original proportions. And I guess the 3.0 is there for people who want a more complicated build?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

RX-78-02 looks to a more refined version of the 2.0, which is impressive because the 2.0 was already insanely good.

It's pretty much the definitive MG RX-78-2 now, with the 2.0/OYW being for people who prefer the original proportions. And I guess the 3.0 is there for people who want a more complicated build?

The 02 is the Origin one, right?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Yes the 02 is the origin one with the sensor thingies, different joint hubcaps and that cannon backpack.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Droyer posted:

I really want them to make the last two wing gundams, even if they're mostly just recolors

edit: by wing gundams i mean gundams from gundam wing, not variants of the wing gundam

I just want the real Wing Zero.

Is that too much to ask for?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Son Ryo posted:

Yes, yes it is. You'll buy MG Proto Zero and you will like it young man. :colbert:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

Give in, embrace the Katoki. :kheldragar:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I figured it'd make sense if I consolidate all my airbrush thoughts - hopefully this makes it into the OP, in hopes of being able to point people at the "check the airbrush stock-up basics for beginners part of the OP" part, etc.

COMPRESSORS
If you can flex your budget, I would advise doing so a few bucks more and getting this one, with a tank: http://www.amazon.com/AIRBRUSH-COMP...tank+compressor Tanks can't be added after the fact, at least not without significant pneumatics experience.

If you aren't getting the cheapo airbrush that comes with other similar compressors, which are Iwata-threaded, you'll need an adapter: http://www.amazon.com/MASTER-Brand-...irbrush+adapter

CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE: WHAT TO BUY
As to maintenance, head to your nearest Harbor Freight Tools, they sell an airbrush stand, cleaning bottle, and cleaning brushes. It'll probably run like $14 for everything.

I highly recommend picking up either genric Windex or generic Cinch glass cleaner, 91% isopropyl alcohol from CVS, and lacquer thinner from Lowes/Home Depot.

Highly recommend picking up or making a spray booth if you plan on using the latter at all indoors. Even with just the cleaning bottle, lacquer thinner contains toxic solvents. Please don't die for gunpla. If you cannot spray in a garage, get a spray booth. Don't chance spraying out the window, chances are the breeze will blow that poo poo back in.

Also good to have: disposable plastic pipettes and dropper bottles. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...archweb201560_9

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Whol...archweb201560_9

Get some toothpicks, the sturdy cocktail-sticks kind that they sell at Stop & Shop. You don't want flimsy toothpicks. If you mix in the cup, use the toothpick to stir. I recommend thinner/improver before paint.

Family Dollar makes the best generic Q-tips for the money. Get plenty. If you have no Family Dollar near you, go for name-brand Q-tips. I have yet to try a generic that has the right blend of strength and bend, and decently wrapped cotton.

CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE: HOW TO

For cleanup, start with the Windex/Cinch. Get it in the cup, swish it around, rub it down with the Q-tip, spray through to clean. Follow up with the isopropyl, repeat the rub, done. Next, in goes the lacquer thinner, same steps. Take out the needle, clean it with lacquer thinner on a swab, put some thinner in the empty cup, and push the needle back and forth to break up debris, pull the needle back out, spray the thinner through to clear.

If you ever get the chance to pick up an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for cheap, do so. Get a shotglass that's nice and tall, wide enough to take the whole airbrush, put the airbrush in the shotglass, fill with lacquer thinner. Put the glass in the cleaner, fill the cleaner mostly with water, and run it - boom, after a cycle, your airbrush is super duper clean.

ACTUALLY PAINTING STUFF

ALWAYS USE PRIMER. NEVER DON'T PRIME.

If you're mixing a custom color, always mix way more than you think you need.

Highly recommend Vallejo, use their flow improver and thinner when using the Model Color line. 3 drops each thinner and improver per 10 drops paint.

Remember the basic movement - up and down, side to side. Slowly advance your spray pattern as you go. You want to aim for a dry coat. If it looks wet, STOP and let it dry fully. You want even application, not huge dumps.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I got halfway through the build of the MG Fenice Rinascita Alba before I finally noticed it doesn't have beam capes!

Confused, I compared the manual to the one on dalong. It turns out the Alba isn't just a recolor! The concept of the Rinascita Alba is "a machine Heero Yuy could have piloted in Gundam Wing", so Fellini actually took steps to redesign it to remove his personal touches. The feet, ankles, knees, part of the chest, shoulders, wings, and head have all been adjusted to look more like the Wing. Speaking of the head, the Alba straight up has the Wing's v-fin!

It's actually really cool since it kind of fits more with the made up setting of the Rinascita: a theoretical Wing Gundam Custom that never happened since Heero just swapped to the Wing Zero instead.

super lame there aren't beam capes though. come on, AC totally could have had those

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MJP posted:

Tanks can't be added after the fact, at least not without significant pneumatics experience.

What do you mean? I added a tank to my compressor and all it took was some adapters, plumber's tape, and a regulator. Auto-shutoff is a different story but adding a tank was pretty simple.

Not cheap though

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

signalnoise posted:

What do you mean? I added a tank to my compressor and all it took was some adapters, plumber's tape, and a regulator. Auto-shutoff is a different story but adding a tank was pretty simple.

Not cheap though

I'll take a picture of my tank set up when I get home but it's literally just some piping, an air regulator and an empty 3 litre bottle of Coke.

E: I'm not exactly captain safety with my airbrush set up though. My spay booth is a cardboard box and I just wear a breathing mask when painting.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
For me I got this stuff

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPYAME

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057D8LMY

I could have gotten a bigger tank tho

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, how long d'you reckon it'll be until someone converts their Kimaris and Gusion kits into Ornstein and Smough?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Darth Walrus posted:

So, how long d'you reckon it'll be until someone converts their Kimaris and Gusion kits into Ornstein and Smough?

Kimaris seems a bit too bulky for Biggie Smalls.

Also, the Gusion's internal frame looks like this.

"gundam type frame"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

A poster on /r/Gunpla wants to turn a 1/100 Guison into Blastoise.

http://imgur.com/a/3cyZ2

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

Kimaris seems a bit too bulky for Biggie Smalls.

Also, the Gusion's internal frame looks like this.

"gundam type frame"

Yeah, it's becoming increasingly obvious that it's a souped-up Man Rodi that its psychotic pilot (check the box art, I mean goddamn) wanted to big up with some borrowed notoriety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Seeing the MG Hi-Nu HWS sitting around in High Mobility mode makes me understand ACES' obsession with silly huge models covered in as many weapons as possible.

It just looks so goofy. :allears: