Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Holy poo poo they still have Kyromek models! I grew up painting those and playing homebrew rules. My paintjobs from then would serve as pretty appropriate thread content, but the models are dope in that 90s way.

We should buy all the dino riders and send em to BuffChix :D

JcDent posted:

http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=217_218_59_63&products_id=2570

I don't think that I've ever seen an another model that wanted to be used as Leman Russ proxy that hard.

It'd work pretty well for a Sqiuggoth too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I bought the Battletech Starter Box and it includes a wonderful guide on painting. All the example models are the ugliest, most garish pieces of poo poo I've ever seen.

I know the game is 80s as gently caress, but c'mon!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

I bought the Battletech Starter Box and it includes a wonderful guide on painting. All the example models are the ugliest, most garish pieces of poo poo I've ever seen.

I know the game is 80s as gently caress, but c'mon!

Those horrible chunky ridiculous robots own. :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The models are fine (for what they are), the painting in the guide is utter garbage.

The camospecs.com website isn't as bad, though, so I can't get examples.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Colonial Air Force posted:

The models are fine (for what they are), the painting in the guide is utter garbage.

The camospecs.com website isn't as bad, though, so I can't get examples.

Scan it if you can, the world needs to see this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a store near me that bought up a ton of Kryomek, I really should try to pick some of that up cheap before it disappears.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Urban War isn't actually from the 90s, it's an early 2000s reboot/reimagining of VOID by Urban Mammoth. VOID 1.1 is actually owned by Scotia Grendel, and the models still hold up well, since they're mostly Kev White sculpts. The game is really good, too. Basically 40k 3E, except properly balanced and well-written.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man, I remember when I just got into 40K and I remember realizing there were these other games out there like VOID, Celtos, VOR: The Maelstrom, and just being really... awestruck? I guess at the breadth and depth of the miniature wargaming hobby. Unfortunately almost no one played anything but 40K and WHFB though I did manage to get into Battletech and CAV.

And then I realize that now there's similarly a shitload of cool games out there. Feels good!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Scan it if you can, the world needs to see this.

So this is the one they guide you through painting:

And then they have some other "good" examples:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Good, honest house colours.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I see nothing wrong with any of these. :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

goatface posted:

Good, honest house colours.

The warriors of house Nice Boys

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
In terms of paint job (not sculpt), most of those would be upgrades over much of the poo poo I've seen on the table

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Did they purposely paint the Cyclops to look like a dickbot or do I just have issues?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

jodai posted:

Did they purposely paint the Cyclops to look like a dickbot or do I just have issues?

Cyclops is a greek word that means 'ER Large Laser'. You just have your mind in the gutter.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hey, the Banshee and the Hunchback look go... OH MY GOD THE CYCLOPS

Oh, so Void is a good ruleset? I keep mistaking its name with VOR and that gamevhad infantry statlines that would make hams cry.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's something about Battletech models. Whenever I have seen pictures of them the paintjobs have been of a quality to put the Fighting Tigers of Vega to shame. It's like there is a weird gentlemens agreement that they all have to look like poo poo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If I ever played Battletech I'd run nothing but Jenner mechs.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Somewhere I have all my Btech stuff painted in bright pink with purple hazard striping. Garish is just how you roll with that game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Why is every battletech model only okay looking at the best of times? It's not hard to make the mechs look waaaaaaaay cooler but they stick with the super awkward and dumpy 80s designs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Probably connected to the twenty-odd years that they didn't have the rights to the best designs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The best thing anyone could do for battletech is reboot it, throw out literally all the battletech art that was ever produced and then hire artists that don't know anything about battletech.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Maybe pay someone to rough up the old artists too

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe pay someone to rough up the old artists too

I'll fight you over any insults to Atlases, Hunchbacks, Jaguars, Mad Cats and a smattering of other mechs I rode in Mechwarrior 4.

Unless you mean miniature sculpters specifically.

Or whatever bunch of loonies painted them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Why is every battletech model only okay looking at the best of times? It's not hard to make the mechs look waaaaaaaay cooler but they stick with the super awkward and dumpy 80s designs.

The problem is not so much the designs as the sculpts. Mechwarrior Online made many of these designs actually look good (it's still a garbage game, but it looked amazing). The designs are mostly fine.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I love how one of the mechs is just called Clint. Truly the lost intimidating of names.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The best thing anyone could do for battletech is reboot it, throw out literally all the battletech art that was ever produced and then hire artists that don't know anything about battletech.

The newer generation of artists (flying debris, Xarbala here on SA) actually produce very good art. It's a shame they would actually take years to re-imagine all the poo poo that has built up in the 80s though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That Jagermech is a work of art, and I won't hear otherwise.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
One of the good things that GW did for the miniatures gaming hobby as a whole was to raise the bar in what professionally painted miniatures looked like at a time when poo poo like that was all you ever saw - even in manufacturer's catalogues or rulebooks. Outside of serious diorama hobbyists who were all about rivet counting historical stuff, no-one was really trying to push forward painting as a craft in the mainstream until then. I remember having one of the editions of Battlesystem (the AD&D mass combat rules), and in the back was a section about miniatures and painting. The examples were loving horrible. They had closeups of Elf faces to show you 'the incredible detail' but it looked as though someone had thrown a couple of fried eggs at someone with severe burns.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I like how one of those robots is literally named the AWS-8Q "Awesome."

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Wait

What!?

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/vor-c-55/

VOR: The Maelstrom is still available?! Holey moley

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It doesn't help that battletech grognards are the worst grognards and everytime someone comes up with a better-looking modernized mech design, you have basement-dwelling neckbeards rising to the ramparts about how those old designs have SPIRIT and CHARM and how the new models are OFFENSIVE TO THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME.

This is a game whose core ruleset has not changed at all in the last twenty-five years, it's just had more and more crap piled onto it. It's the exact same with the models.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like the old chunky designs and the archaic spreadsheet clunky rules :smith:.

But I recognize there's a reason (OK, several reasons) nobody really plays it anymore, and super-dated models and ridiculous amounts of book-keeping are basically those reasons. I haven't tried Alpha Strike which is supposed to streamline the rules quite a bit, but that doesn't address the model design.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Drake_263 posted:

It doesn't help that battletech grognards are the worst grognards and everytime someone comes up with a better-looking modernized mech design, you have basement-dwelling neckbeards rising to the ramparts about how those old designs have SPIRIT and CHARM and how the new models are OFFENSIVE TO THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME.

This is a game whose core ruleset has not changed at all in the last twenty-five years, it's just had more and more crap piled onto it. It's the exact same with the models.

So like GW grognards that poo poo on AoS and laud the old "charming" models of yesteryear? I'm one of those people btw. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Some of the sculpts for the Mechwarrior clix game weren't awful. If they just got a few sculptors from the 21st century they could make some great models based on those old designs and the designs from the Mechwarrior video games.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

So like GW grognards that poo poo on AoS and laud the old "charming" models of yesteryear? I'm one of those people btw. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I've seen a Simarine live. The head is soooo tiny.

I actually never read people complaining about AoS models replacing good ol' charming ones; when it comes up, AoS models are said to be bad by themselves.

Also, I would never want to paint any of the AoS named characters or heroes of anything aside from Sigmarines. That stuff looks extremely fiddly, too detailed, fragile... and expensive, to boot.

Hey, this guy doesn't look half bad.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JcDent posted:

I've seen a Simarine live. The head is soooo tiny.

I actually never read people complaining about AoS models replacing good ol' charming ones; when it comes up, AoS models are said to be bad by themselves.

Also, I would never want to paint any of the AoS named characters or heroes of anything aside from Sigmarines. That stuff looks extremely fiddly, too detailed, fragile... and expensive, to boot.

Hey, this guy doesn't look half bad.

I guess it's less about replacement (though AoS did replace Fantasy) but more about the evolution of GW minis from simple to vastly overblown.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

I guess it's less about replacement (though AoS did replace Fantasy) but more about the evolution of GW minis from simple to vastly overblown.
Yeah, the reason I love all the 2nd ed stuff is there's a certain purity of design where everything has a distinct silhouette and even the characters only have so many baubles and doodads. I like the overblown aesthetic to a degree but there's a real appeal to the simpler designs from the 90s. Hell, even 3rd ed kept it pretty simple, it just also had a lot of sculpts that were awful for the time thanks to Mr. Gary Morley.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Geisladisk posted:

The problem is not so much the designs as the sculpts. Mechwarrior Online made many of these designs actually look good (it's still a garbage game, but it looked amazing). The designs are mostly fine.

:pgi: might have ballsed up on making MWO into the game promised and instead spent years cranking out microtransactions items, but their art department did successfully update Battletech to look like my nostalgia gland insisted that it had always looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SRM posted:

Some of the sculpts for the Mechwarrior clix game weren't awful. If they just got a few sculptors from the 21st century they could make some great models based on those old designs and the designs from the Mechwarrior video games.

Yeah, when the mechs are being done by people who know what they're doing they look fine but the miniatures are universally awful