Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I hope there isn't really, that was strangely perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
This is all the explanation/reference I need for the Aliens.

http://www.ufocasebook.com/minnesotasheriff1979.html

Such a great show. Holy gently caress, no show deserves to be this amazing.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I've got all the explanation I need or want. Anything beyond "It's just a flyin' saucer, hon" and we risk entering midichlorian territory.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Y'all gonna be PISSED when there is no explanation whatsoever for the aliens in the last episode.

What? They're aliens. That's it. That's the explanation.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Quoting the Guardian: Run Through the Jungle by Spoon’s Britt Daniel. Now that is esoteric, and who knows where we can get it.

E: No seriously, anyone know where can I get it?
I think he recorded it specifically for the show.

I loving love a good acoustic cover so I demuxed the audio track, converted it to mp3 and cut out the last two minutes. Would posting that here be :filez:? If yes I guess you could pm me and I'll send you a dropbox link.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 8, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

VodeAndreas posted:

I hope there isn't really, that was strangely perfect.

I loved this episode, and having explicit aliens fit in perfectly. I also like that everybody shakes it off and gets back to what they were doing eventually despite just experiencing something that would completely change your outlook on life, even if almost no one would believe you if you told them. It's also pretty funny that Hank of all people doesn't get to see it, though maybe he was able to get at least a half decent glimpse out the door. I'm in the "no need to explain" camp, and I hope they don't do something cheesy like have Hank's body (alive or dead) vanish from the hospital, though I wouldn't put it past them. As I'm sure people have pointed out, Peggy's line and reaction to the UFO is perfect too.

Freeman's voice over was great, as was the book device. I paused the show to read most of it, and while there was a lot of repeated text it was well written and spoiled quite a bit of what was going to happen in the episode. I also liked the reflection on when Hanzee might have decided to betray the family and why he was going after Peggy and Ed, it's all well and good to let the audience draw its own conclusions but if you're going to give a guy like Hanzee such a small amount of dialogue and overall screen time then I really like that you're willing to take some time to break down what's up with him.

Oh, and I have to give credit to the show for basically making UFO's this season's version of "Malvo is literally the devil" based on how many allusions and symbols they've sprinkled in, and then just following through on it in the best way. It wouldn't have worked in season one, in my opinion, but I really think they managed to pull it off well here.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

NowonSA posted:

I also liked the reflection on when Hanzee might have decided to betray the family and why he was going after Peggy and Ed, it's all well and good to let the audience draw its own conclusions but if you're going to give a guy like Hanzee such a small amount of dialogue and overall screen time then I really like that you're willing to take some time to break down what's up with him.
Yeah, this thread would be unbearable right now if they didn't spell out Hanzee's motivation.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Bert Roberge posted:

The UFO didn't show up until Hank got shot.

:tviv:. Nice catch. I'm expecting Hank to be the guy that will have one last bit related to the aliens/UFO, if anyone does, I'm just worried that it'll come off as cheesy. The best possible dialogue related to the UFO would be Lou driving the Blumquists back to Luverne and just idly chatting about that with them, and maybe him telling his wife as one last secret that they can share together.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
While it may have pre-empted us all talking about Hanzee's motivation for another week, it was incredibly jarring without really adding anything else. At least the UFO had been set up all season, although I'd like there to be more thematic tie-in to it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I grew up about 2 blocks away from that Motor Motel, so needless to say watching the shootout was pretty weird.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

I don't even care how bizarre and jarring it was, the flying saucer just showing up all personal was amazing and I'm so glad we got that instead of them just sticking a UFO reference in every episode just for fun or something and not having any actual payoff.
Agreed.

Can we get some gifv's of the shootout and the ufo?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why the screenshot of this? I dont get whats so important about it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Lots of gifs over at Uproxx.

Two of my favourites:

-- actualized --

I think someone was looking for this one:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

Why the screenshot of this? I dont get whats so important about it.
It's not important, I just liked it when they froze that frame for a second or two during the episode.

If anyone wants more gifs specify what you want and I'll put it up.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 8, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

When you walk onto the wlaking dead thread but meant to go to the fargo thread

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Quoting the Guardian: Run Through the Jungle by Spoon’s Britt Daniel. Now that is esoteric, and who knows where we can get it.

E: No seriously, anyone know where can I get it?

Maybe keep an eye on the guy / the band's twitter/soundcloud/whatever, that's how the "Just Dropped In" cover popped up. (I haven't checked if you can buy that anywhere yet, maybe they'll release a soundtrack for the show.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So what do you think the odds are Hank is an alien? His wife is dead, so he's been living alone for the last year and there were all those symbols and cheat sheets for humanity in his office. The flying saucer didn't show up until he got shot and he seemed awfully anxious to get Lou away so he could maybe do some alien bodywork on that gut shot.

So replaced by an alien or maybe just possessed by them?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I think he may just be a believer. The cheat sheet was him trying to decode poo poo he's seen around

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

spoon0042 posted:

Maybe keep an eye on the guy / the band's twitter/soundcloud/whatever, that's how the "Just Dropped In" cover popped up. (I haven't checked if you can buy that anywhere yet, maybe they'll release a soundtrack for the show.)

Season 1 had a soundtrack but it's just the original stuff by Jeff Russo, not any of the others.
http://www.amazon.com/Fargo-Original-Television-Soundtrack-Russo/dp/B00KEC48SY

I'm guessing this one will be the same, so don't keep your hopes up for them releasing an awesome 70s mixtape. At least nowadays you can always find Spotify playlists for shows like this though. :)
https://play.spotify.com/user/drakelelane/playlist/4ldgfZBUPGocqEeRhCr0am

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 8, 2015

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

I think he may just be a believer. The cheat sheet was him trying to decode poo poo he's seen around

Possible, but some of the flash cards were about his family and their relationships. Like he had to keep reminding himself who these people were and how they were all intertwined. At the beginning of the season the implication was he hadn't been around much since his wife died. So perhaps something happened in that time frame.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
"No one would have believed in the last years of the 19th century that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space. No one could have dreamed that we were being scrutinized as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets. And yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans against us."

--Richard Burton, musical adaptation from War of the Worlds

Sure, why not? :)

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ChetReckless posted:

Two of my favourites:

-- actualized --

Best line of the season as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely slayed me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It just fit so perfectly into the absurdity.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Illinois Smith posted:

I think he recorded it specifically for the show.

I loving love a good acoustic cover so I demuxed the audio track, converted it to mp3 and cut out the last two minutes. Would posting that here be :filez:? If yes I guess you could pm me and I'll send you a dropbox link.

I don't have premium :(

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

a cop posted:

Best line of the season as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely slayed me.

My favorite is the scene of her in the car, just absurdly happy while Ed is trying to keep it real.

I had my doubts about Kirsten Dunst when I heard she was going to be in Fargo, but she's absolutely killing it. An actualized woman is a dangerous thing.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 8, 2015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Can't wait for the finale. Will Peggy find a pair of scissors? Will Hanzee murder everything? Will Lou get there in time to save Ed? Will there be probing?

~¤~ actualized ~¤~

nopants
May 29, 2004
If Peggy and Hanzee don't duel with Peggy the victor, I'll be very disappointed.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't have premium :(
I sent OldSenileGuy a PM about whether it's cool to post it in here but I can also just e-mail it to you if he doesn't respond.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Anosmoman posted:

Can't wait for the finale. Will Peggy find a pair of scissors? Will Hanzee murder everything? Will Lou get there in time to save Ed? Will there be probing?

~¤~ actualized ~¤~

Does Hanzee ever get that haircut!?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm watching last night's episode again, and... is his name Hanzee or Ohanzee? Early on in the season I saw it written both ways in reviews and the Wikipedia page and such, but then everyone in the show sounds like they're saying 'Hanzee' and that seems to be how it is everywhere on the Internet now. But then in this episode, Narrator Freeman clearly pronounces 'Ohanzee'. I was wondering if everyone else just doesn't enunciate the O as much and it kind of blends together.

Or are both pronunciations correct?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Illinois Smith posted:

I sent OldSenileGuy a PM about whether it's cool to post it in here but I can also just e-mail it to you if he doesn't respond.

You're a real mensch. Hit me at herrkongo at google's mail dot com!

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bert Roberge posted:

The UFO didn't show up until Hank got shot, so maybe it was all a hallucination in his head.

Or maybe he called for backup...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'm watching last night's episode again, and... is his name Hanzee or Ohanzee? Early on in the season I saw it written both ways in reviews and the Wikipedia page and such, but then everyone in the show sounds like they're saying 'Hanzee' and that seems to be how it is everywhere on the Internet now. But then in this episode, Narrator Freeman clearly pronounces 'Ohanzee'. I was wondering if everyone else just doesn't enunciate the O as much and it kind of blends together.

Or are both pronunciations correct?

The way I understood it his actual name is Ohanzee but Hansi stuck as a nickname since it's quintessentially German.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So Peggy is pretty much one of the best TV characters at this point. Kirsten Dunst is god drat incredible.

Has anyone noticed any blatant references to the film in the second half of the series? I've not really seen any at all that I can remember.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

"going crazy out there at the lake"

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I thought Peggy was great from episode 1 :shrug:
This show is so great. Aliens are weird, it was a cool little holy poo poo moment but I don't know whether I feel the idea of aliens prompting chaos is necessary: you know they could've made it work without them, and indeed the UFO didn't really do much except for kind of break the illusion of reality.
I hope there's a meaningful reason for their inclusion (not an explanation, necessarily because who cares) but if there isn't, which there probably won't be, I'm still very confident and excited for the finale.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The Betsy plotline is incredibly sad

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Peggy and/or Ed must survive, because otherwise how would the narrator mention in his book that Hanzee opened up to them, right?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

maybe the aliens told him :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

maybe the aliens told him :)

maybe the narrator is an alien

• Locked thread