Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

We live in interesting times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Obeast posted:

With all this trackball talk, I'm kinda sad that nobody ever brings up the thumbball setup where you move the ball with your thumb. I posted about this one in particular before way earlier this year, but this has been my mouse since probably the early-mid 2000s, and it's seen me through more than a few FPSes using inverted y-axis because that's how the cool dudes roll (although I admit to using non-inverted camera controls when using a gamepad for some odd reason that I can't even explain aside from that it feels more comfortable to me :confused: ).

It's still working to this day between many computers, Windows installs/upgrades, and I don't see it dying anytime soon (which I hope never happens since Microsoft appeared to stopped making these a while back and getting a replacement seems kinda expensive if the Amazon listings are any indication :ohdear: ).

My trackball has about the same placement:

And it's only $27 new or $17 used on Amazon (the Logitech M570). So if yours ever breaks, consider this, or the wired version which is the same molding and a usb cable out the front.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

fishmech posted:

My trackball has about the same placement:

And it's only $27 new or $17 used on Amazon (the Logitech M570). So if yours ever breaks, consider this, or the wired version which is the same molding and a usb cable out the front.

I've used this, and I really can't do any sort of accurate pointing or aiming with just my thumb. I'm using the Kensington Expert Mouse trackball right now, and love it.

Clicking with the thumb (left button) and pinky (right button) is a bit weird at first, but this thing is incredible. Great for audio/video editings as well.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

daft punk railroad posted:

http://www.othersidetease.com/strawberry.php

Meanwhile, from the Underworld Ascendant team...

e: oops, posted already

I wonder how much of SS2's dumb ending they'll ignore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
SS3 will probably be closer to Bioshock Infinite than SS2 but that's okay

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zaphod42 posted:

No. No it's not.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
To be honest Bioshock 1 & 2 are closer to the original System Shock in terms of mechanics than SS2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That is the opposite of okay, and will very likely not happen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

System Shock 3's hamfisted stupid big twist is that the protagonist is actually SHODAN all along who has amnesia by the end of the game and time travels back in time and gets her brain uploaded into a computer which becomes an AI.

The kind of stupid twist Bioshock Infinite had. Also lots of enemies in arenas with bad shooting.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

System Shock 3's hamfisted stupid big twist is that the protagonist is actually SHODAN all along who has amnesia by the end of the game and time travels back in time and gets her brain uploaded into a computer which becomes an AI.

The kind of stupid twist Bioshock Infinite had. Also lots of enemies in arenas with bad shooting.

The first part would at least fit with the ending of SS2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of which, sshock2 is discounted to basically nothing and the first game is half off on GOG right now: http://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_2

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

It won't be because 1) You need a multi-million dollar budget to make a game like that and this will be made on a shoestring in someone's garage, and 2) they're going for a Kickstarter no doubt and those are pretty much fueled by playing to peoples nostalgia.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SparkTR posted:

It won't be because 1) You need a multi-million dollar budget to make a game like that and this will be made on a shoestring in someone's garage, and 2) they're going for a Kickstarter no doubt and those are pretty much fueled by playing to peoples nostalgia.

I think they meant in terms of mechanics instead of production value.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I think they meant in terms of mechanics instead of production value.

:doh: thankyou seg fault

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also, don't play Turok.

Without a doubt the worst advice ever to grace this thread. Turok 1 and 2 own and will always own. Everyone better buy and play the remasters when they come out.

I'm just glad I can finally experience Turok 2 at a playable framerate!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Got into a disagreement over whether the new doom game alpha is slow or not

Funkmaster General posted:

Yeah, I don't know what to say then. It really doesn't feel slow to me AT ALL. I played OG Doom just a few days ago, and this feels very nearly as fast as that (without run toggled on permanently, anyway). It's certainly the fastest modern shooter at the moment with the possible exception of that new Unreal game, which I haven't played. Maybe it's just that you can't sprint?

There are people who play doom without always-run? :psyduck: What.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

I put it into auto-run and don't even bother binding a run key because it's not needed, even when you need precision in a level like The Chasm. I'm not sure why anyone would bother with it at all.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Zaphod42 posted:

Got into a disagreement over whether the new doom game alpha is slow or not

I'm glad I got into the new Doom game alpha because after playing about 10 minutes of it, it spurred me to reinstall Quake 3, an infinitely more enjoyable game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm still waiting for the alpha to become a beta because I think that's what I'm supposed to get access to as a WolfTNO pre-orderer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I put it into auto-run and don't even bother binding a run key because it's not needed, even when you need precision in a level like The Chasm. I'm not sure why anyone would bother with it at all.

I seriously can't imagine playing Doom and walking everywhere. What in the gently caress.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
i'm gonna go ahead and say there are a lot of people who think the game is fast enough without sprinting, and very few parts of the original game that require running to get across gaps. because you can play and beat the original levels without running in many cases.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

spongeh posted:

i'm gonna go ahead and say there are a lot of people who think the game is fast enough without sprinting, and very few parts of the original game that require running to get across gaps. because you can play and beat the original levels without running in many cases.

Sure you *can* but the SSG is going to lose half its usefulness when played that way, and you won't be able to dodge rockets or anything like that.

You'll get hit by stupid poo poo like imp fireballs all the time.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Since this is the only thread where anyone has mentioned UT4 or UT (2015) or whatever the heck anyone is calling it, I figured I'd just put my thoughts in (especially in relation to the Doom Alpha stuff):

So far it plays/feels like a very pretty UT2k4. Granted, the placeholder stuff (most announcer/bot speak) is definitely helping in that regard, since I'm pretty sure most of it is from either UT or UT2k4, but it's fast just like it should be, and I'm quite enjoying it. Also, even medium difficulty is relatively difficult (I love UT but I'm very bad at it). It's buggy as all get out, but it is an Alpha, so the horrific memory leaks I experienced are kinda expected presently. But for the cost of nothing, it's really neat to see how it's coming along. Hopefully the weird marketplace thing is realistic (maybe do giant official mappacks for $10-15 or something) and the Epic launcher becomes less...well, what it is. But otherwise, I'm really happy they haven't hosed with a good thing despite the lackluster response for UT3 (which was just fine, if a bit stupidly grimdark).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Sure you *can* but the SSG is going to lose half its usefulness when played that way, and you won't be able to dodge rockets or anything like that.

You'll get hit by stupid poo poo like imp fireballs all the time.

The speed and the fact that most monsters especially in Doom II fire slower projectiles inadvertently created beautiful gameplay that's more like a first-person bullet hell game in levels with some open space so lol at anyone who thinks the game is fast enough without running.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I'm enjoying UT (2015 or whatever, wish games would stop rebooting their names)

Doesn't hurt that they played the classic UT'99 music on the menu. Man does that ever get me fired up.

It shoots and feels like a proper UT, like you said pretty much UT2k4 which was probably my favorite.

Epic's too busy just making Unreal Engine and licencing it out at this point to care about games very much, but its cool they at least have this as a tech demo.

BattleMaster posted:

The speed and the fact that most monsters especially in Doom II fire slower projectiles inadvertently created beautiful gameplay that's more like a first-person bullet hell game in levels with some open space so lol at anyone who thinks the game is fast enough without running.

Agreed. Doom is more like first-person Robotron or Geometry Wars than any modern FPS.

The idea of using sprint selectively is ridiculous.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Holy poo poo this is an amazing deal:

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-6

$5 gets you:

3D Realms Anthology
  • Alien Carnage / Halloween Harry
  • Arctic Adventure
  • Balls of Steel
  • Bio Menace
  • Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
  • Blake Stone: Planet Strike
  • Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
  • Crystal Caves
  • Dark Ages
  • Death Rally (Classic)
  • Duke Nukem
  • Duke Nukem 2
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Duke Nukem Manhattan Project
  • Hocus Pocus Major Stryker
  • Math Rescue
  • Monster Bash
  • Monuments of March
  • Mystic Towers
  • Paganitzu
  • Pharoah's Tomb
  • Raptor: call of the Shadows (1994 Classic Edition)
  • Realms of Chaos
  • Rise of the Triad: Dark War
  • Secret Agent
  • Shadow Warrior (classic)
  • Stargunner
  • Terminal Velocity
  • Wacky Wheels
  • Word Rescue
  • Xenophage

Lichdom: Battlemage
    Super 3-D Noah's Ark
    also some other crap

All Steam keys. Also the 3DR anthology will be delisted from Steam in 3 weeks so go buy it now unless you hate fun

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Convex posted:

Holy poo poo this is an amazing deal:

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-6

$5 gets you:

3D Realms Anthology
  • Alien Carnage / Halloween Harry
  • Arctic Adventure
  • Balls of Steel
  • Bio Menace
  • Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
  • Blake Stone: Planet Strike
  • Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
  • Crystal Caves
  • Dark Ages
  • Death Rally (Classic)
  • Duke Nukem
  • Duke Nukem 2
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Duke Nukem Manhattan Project
  • Hocus Pocus Major Stryker
  • Math Rescue
  • Monster Bash
  • Monuments of March
  • Mystic Towers
  • Paganitzu
  • Pharoah's Tomb
  • Raptor: call of the Shadows (1994 Classic Edition)
  • Realms of Chaos
  • Rise of the Triad: Dark War
  • Secret Agent
  • Shadow Warrior (classic)
  • Stargunner
  • Terminal Velocity
  • Wacky Wheels
  • Word Rescue
  • Xenophage

Lichdom: Battlemage
    Super 3-D Noah's Ark
    also some other crap

All Steam keys. Also the 3DR anthology will be delisted from Steam in 3 weeks so go buy it now unless you hate fun

drat, I already have most of these games. Including Lichdom which I foolishly purchased in Early Access.

Still a good deal though, probably pick it up for the few games I don't have yet.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I think the "sprint" command should bring a character from fast to sanic.

The only game where the standard speed being walking actually worked was the STALKER series and that's a whole different kind of game than "blast demons in the face then cackle madly as you run away and weave through a torrent of green goo being thrown"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

BattleMaster posted:

Which is why maps that don't give you any space to dodge are almost universally terrible. :argh:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Agreed. Doom is more like first-person Robotron or Geometry Wars than any modern FPS.

Killing two topics with one stone, the lead designer of Bioshock 2 also happened to make this exact statement a few years back (really good article actually)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Convex posted:

Killing two topics with one stone, the lead designer of Bioshock 2 also happened to make this exact statement a few years back (really good article actually)

Was that the guy who made a youtube play-through/commentary of EP1 with Romero?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

spongeh posted:

very few parts of the original game that require running to get across gaps. because you can play and beat the original levels without running in many cases.
You need to run to cross that gap in Map02, right?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Tippis posted:

Was that the guy who made a youtube play-through/commentary of EP1 with Romero?

yep

(not the overall lead on BioShock 2 by the way... but lead level designer I think)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

See, now, if I'd known that this is what the thread would degrade into after linking that System Shock teaser page...

Well, when you first posted it I was like, "oh, huh, neat" and I only realised just what was happening when I woke up this morning. Guess I was too shocked for it to really sink in. Although I hope it's more SS2 than Bioshock.

Speaking of, I liked Infinite ok, but I reinstalled Shadow Warrior and drat, that's the real top shooter of 2013. Hoji is a way better partner than Elizabeth.

Edit: vv I know, right? I did not expect Shadow Warrior of all games to be like that.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 8, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

catlord posted:

Well, when you first posted it I was like, "oh, huh, neat" and I only realised just what was happening when I woke up this morning. Guess I was too shocked for it to really sink in. Although I hope it's more SS2 than Bioshock.

Speaking of, I liked Infinite ok, but I reinstalled Shadow Warrior and drat, that's the real top shooter of 2013. Hoji is a way better partner than Elizabeth.

Hoji is the loving best and the weird hate friendship him and Lo'wang share is both hilarious, heartwarming and tragic as all goddamned gently caress.

Between him and Wang never landing any good one-liners, that game told its story a thousand times better then Infinite did.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think the "sprint" command should bring a character from fast to sanic.

I like this idea.

I'm going to do something with this idea.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

I like this idea.

I'm going to do something with this idea.

Holding down sprint brings up the blown out Green Hill Zone like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUwmTAyP24

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Segmentation Fault posted:

Holding down sprint brings up the blown out Green Hill Zone like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUwmTAyP24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_VnIJMhRxY

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
idk about you guys but i play thief gold with only gameplay and display resolution improvements from tfix. i keep the graphics as-is because i wanna preserve that early dark engine feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Linguica posted:

You need to run to cross that gap in Map02, right?

Yea that's the one i had in mind in specific, but I can't remember much of D2 past map01-07, downtown, and 30-32 so there are probably a couple more.