Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

moller posted:

There was unrest between and within factions and families. Tokyo Tower blew up. You had to fight majima but it was a misunderstanding.

you punch tigers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am jealous of you guys. I wish I could play 5 again for the first time.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I want a PS3 compatible drum controller for the Taiko minigame.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i only finished up to the first two chapters of part 1 but i think this might be my favorite yakuza and it's insane that we almost didn't get it

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

moller posted:

Amazing. Is there a way to play 2 player VF2 by any chance?

There's a specific section in the main menu to let you play 2 player modes of several of the minigames, VF2 is included, along with an online mode.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm playing Yakuza 5 in the US legally and this is the best taxicab ride simulator I've played. I'm like, 10 minutes in.

Edit: AHHHHHH The taxic cab drive was not who we originally thought it was!

Are there no "look at the story from past Yakuza games" in this one?

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 8, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
15% PS+ rebate is what we get for Yak5 in Europe, lasts until the 23rd which will be the day I buy it, wanna wait and see what the future * days of christmas deals hold in store first.

Ishin had me coming back to it after finishing it (and even having an NG+ save), Yak4 was hard to return to, would Yak5 be more Ishin or Yak4 for me?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

I'm playing Yakuza 5 in the US legally and this is the best taxicab ride simulator I've played. I'm like, 10 minutes in.

Edit: AHHHHHH The taxic cab drive was not who we originally thought it was!

Are there no "look at the story from past Yakuza games" in this one?

I know there's a "Reminisce" feature on the main menu, but I didn't go into it, but that's where the "Previously on Yakuza" videos were in the other games.

Stupid work and stupid company Christmas dinner getting in the way of me punching stupid punks in their stupid faces. Fortunately I'm off tomorrow, so I've got all day to peacock moms and punch tigers.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

I know there's a "Reminisce" feature on the main menu, but I didn't go into it, but that's where the "Previously on Yakuza" videos were in the other games.

Stupid work and stupid company Christmas dinner getting in the way of me punching stupid punks in their stupid faces. Fortunately I'm off tomorrow, so I've got all day to peacock moms and punch tigers.

The Reminisce feature is just for watching cutscenes you've already seen before, apparently. I tried it first-thing and it wouldn't even let me select it. I just looked up a brief plot synopsis for a recap, since it's been so long since playing Y3/4 that I forgot about everything. :downs:

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Japan must really love this Tower Battle movie.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Guys apparently if you're in a fight as Kiryu and you press Down on the D-Pad, Kiryu stops to take a smoke break.

I don't think it has any benefit besides looking cool, but just now some Devil Killer punk tried to get up in my poo poo. So I beat his rear end down with a combo, lit up while he was writhing on the ground, then when I was done I HEAT-stomped his face to finish him off.

I'm not sure I'll ever do that again, but the fact that I can makes this game loving rule.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Guys apparently if you're in a fight as Kiryu and you press Down on the D-Pad, Kiryu stops to take a smoke break.

I don't think it has any benefit besides looking cool, but just now some Devil Killer punk tried to get up in my poo poo. So I beat his rear end down with a combo, lit up while he was writhing on the ground, then when I was done I HEAT-stomped his face to finish him off.

I'm not sure I'll ever do that again, but the fact that I can makes this game loving rule.

That ties into a HEAT move, as I recall, where Kiryu will flick his lit cigarette into the face of his opponent and then lay a beatdown on him. So it's already badass, but can become even more badass.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

I think that's part of a HEAT move in itself, where Kiryu spits the lit cigarette into the face of some punk before he beats his rear end down.

e:fb

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
What does it mean if the mini map flashes pink?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Crappy Jack posted:

That ties into a HEAT move, as I recall, where Kiryu will flick his lit cigarette into the face of his opponent and then lay a beatdown on him. So it's already badass, but can become even more badass.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think that's part of a HEAT move in itself, where Kiryu spits the lit cigarette into the face of some punk before he beats his rear end down.

e:fb

WHAT THE gently caress I just did this and it was incredible.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.
First stop: Club Sega purikura

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Beanzor posted:

First stop: Club Sega purikura

I can't believe that I have to work while this wonderful goddamn game sits unplayed in my system. I need this day to be over right goddamn now.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PunkBoy posted:

What does it mean if the mini map flashes pink?

You're near an objective.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
how are the hard are the Haruka sections. I am absolutely lovely quick time stuff.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting trailers saying 0 is coming to US and Europe on PS4 and I need to know when, Policenaut.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

It was announced at PSX a few days ago, but I don't think they gave a release date beyond "Next Year". I would have looked for more details, but it was hard to read through my manly tears of joy.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wonder if they'll do something ridiculous like wait till December and then announce that it'll be out a week later

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Do you think it would be better to play this with a Dual Shock 4 (which I greatly prefer the feel of), or the Dual Shock 3 so I can feel the manly vibrations as I beat down some punks?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

unl33t posted:

Do you think it would be better to play this with a Dual Shock 4 (which I greatly prefer the feel of), or the Dual Shock 3 so I can feel the manly vibrations as I beat down some punks?

I mean, you're gonna miss out on the part where Majima tells you to put your controller on the table and moves it around with the power of his mind, but other than that, you might as well be comfortable.

"Looks like ya play Castlevania games, Kazzy!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i have read a bunch of places that 0 is alot better then 5. is that true?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It has playable Majima, which is all I ever needed to be sold on it.

And from looking it up, his fighting style is amazing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It has playable Majima, which is all I ever needed to be sold on it.

And from looking it up, his fighting style is amazing.

Fighting styles. Majima and Kiryu both get three distinct fighting styles of their own. One of Majima's is basically Baseball-Bat-Fu.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Holy poo poo, really? All I saw was breakdance beatdowns.

It keeps getting better and better. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dapper_Swindler posted:

But everyone says 5 is a lot better than 4, how high does the bar get here?!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, Kiryu gets a sort of prototype for his fighting style in the other games which is a lot clumsier and thugish in 0, a rush style where he does a flurry of quick punches and dodges and a bruiser style where he can pick up heavy objects and tank hits like a champ.

Majima gets the fighting style you see him have in all the games you fight him in, a baseball bat style where he does stylish moves with a bat and a dancer style where he breakdances and is good for crowd control.

Edit: This is the sort of stuff Majima can do in 0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkIbZzNIK48

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 8, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Can you switch between the three in combat?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the video shows you can. I assume the words in the top left are your current style?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 8, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Edit: This is the sort of stuff Majima can do in 0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkIbZzNIK48

Holy poo poo, Majima's HEAT moves might be the greatest accomplishment of this series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sindai posted:

Can you switch between the three in combat?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the video shows you can. I assume the words in the top left are your current style?

Yup.

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, Majima's HEAT moves might be the greatest accomplishment of this series.

Yeah it's some flashy and brutal stuff.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
That gun disarm :eyepop:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Noodle Status = dunked

Mini GOTY 2012

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Can't tell whether the Raiden-syle foot stab or the bat+knife one is cooler.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I didn't have 10,000 yen to send to the orphanage and the game made me feel so bad. Then I beat dudes up and smashed a table over one of their heads and everything is better

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Capsaicin posted:

I didn't have 10,000 yen to send to the orphanage and the game made me feel so bad. Then I beat dudes up and smashed a table over one of their heads and everything is better

You start with 30,000 yen, right? Did you spend it all in the first 10 minutes or something?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pachinko is a hell of a drug. Also I hope you're all having fun because I can't actually buy this game until Christmas because of surprise car repair bills. Have fun y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Capsaicin posted:

Static Rook posted:

You start with 30,000 yen, right? Did you spend it all in the first 10 minutes or something?

He might have bought a gift from Le Marche or something for the rival company. I sent the orphanage 20k and then felt bad when my confirmed bachelor boss paid for everything on our extended drunken man-date.

• Locked thread