Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Runefaust posted:

Is there good reason to farm company seals besides hot sweaty Chocobo action? This is literally the farthest I achieved in my attempt to play it on PC.
The GC gear can be useful for leveling, both battle classes and crafters, but seals aren't too terribly important. There are a few fun things you can purchase in the various ranks down the line, but don't sweat it, you'll wind up with a steady supply while leveling through FATEs and stuff.

Edit: Garbage post at the top of a page, here is a screenshot of me playing hide and seek with Marberry.

Potato Jones fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I have 3 reagan peppers (48k) sitting on a retainer just from spending down seals

Griz
May 21, 2001

fyi you can buy those for like 20 hunt seals

I spend all my GC seals on ventures and cordials.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And dark matter 6, because I'm a goddamn cheapskate that somehow always winds up repairing in the middle of fights. :ocelot:

Griz
May 21, 2001

dark matter 6 is available for some trivial amount of gil from the npcs in town who sell all the other dark matters

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Just split the difference and go DRK.

I'm the crazy person whose first three battle classes were all tanks, and while I do like DRK's playstyle I always feel like I'm doing something wrong by not riding my MP as hard as possible while also making sure I don't run out.

I'm at least going to get my Anima weapon for PLD first and if they happen to improve it in 3.2, I'll stick with it, but if it's still lovely I'll give DRK another shot.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
"Guys I'm so survivable!" ~something irrelevant to tanking.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I do all my non raiding content as DRK since nobody can hold threat off my DRG anyway

I like DRK

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Griz posted:

dark matter 6 is available for some trivial amount of gil from the npcs in town who sell all the other dark matters

They are like 120 gil each. The standard FC merchant sells them along with the dyes and other stuff.

If you have the seals to buy dark matters or peppers just stockpile enough Ventures to last until 4.0.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ilifinicus posted:

I do all my non raiding content as DRK since nobody can hold threat off my DRG anyway

I like DRK

That's why I just DRGtank things. Yesterday it was the tree thing in void ark. A few days ago I tanked echidna for the entire final phase after the final snake phase. I've got over 16k with food and decent healers can handle most of the damage coming in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tortolia posted:

They are like 120 gil each. The standard FC merchant sells them along with the dyes and other stuff.

If you have the seals to buy dark matters or peppers just stockpile enough Ventures to last until 4.0.
if you have cul desynth high enough you can buy 6 urushi for 3600 seals and turn that into a better crowned pie in mor dhona. These will desynth into a water cluster every time and randomly a tiny crown, an electrum ring, an FC2 Demi or an FC3 demimateria. Or you can flip coke on the mb.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Ambaire posted:

Why is the starting machinist quest so retarded? I killed the first two sets of mobs fine but I couldn't find the goddamn docile tigers. I killed every goddamn mob in the entire duty zone and nothing. So I just deleted the weapon and abandoned the quest. gently caress machinist. And yes I tried googling docile tigers. Nothing.

Like Rostnthal says, they're along the path to the hermit's hut to the north. Joye will lead you to them.

If you'd like to try again, you can rebuy the gun from the Machinist guild.

For reference, here's a guy doing that quest: http://youtu.be/JnaZzcsPc9M

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 8, 2015

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

if you have cul desynth high enough you can buy 6 urushi for 3600 seals and turn that into a better crowned pie in mor dhona. These will desynth into a water cluster every time and randomly a tiny crown, an electrum ring, an FC2 Demi or an FC3 demimateria. Or you can flip coke on the mb.

True. The coke/potash market looked to crumble when they added the bulk ordering feature but I don't keep a close eye on it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Belzac posted:

"Guys I'm so survivable!" ~something irrelevant to tanking.

Thanks for the input, man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tortolia posted:

True. The coke/potash market looked to crumble when they added the bulk ordering feature but I don't keep a close eye on it.
The way you make money there is selling things in smaller stack sizes than 99.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's why I just DRGtank things. Yesterday it was the tree thing in void ark. A few days ago I tanked echidna for the entire final phase after the final snake phase. I've got over 16k with food and decent healers can handle most of the damage coming in.

Give Dragoons a "Lesser Tanking Stance" and turn them into inverted Warriors. Thanks in advance, YoshiP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thyrork posted:

Give Dragoons a "Lesser Tanking Stance" and turn them into inverted Warriors. Thanks in advance, YoshiP.

Make Dragoons like Ninjas from XI where they weren't intended as tanks but if you use the skills right...

give them like a really long superjump for avoiding boss smashes while holding agro and then yeah, some kinda 'dragon armor' stance.

Also please add Samurai and make them a damage class.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Runefaust posted:

Hit 23 today and reached the point at which I'm farming company seals to get my fancy Chocobo. Is there good reason to farm company seals besides hot sweaty Chocobo action? This is literally the farthest I achieved in my attempt to play it on PC.

In addition to what everyone else has mentioned, be sure to get enough seals to turn in for promotions in your GC. There are a few things locked behind the higher ranks that will become more relevant as you keep playing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tortolia posted:

Aqueous whetstones tend to sometimes have pretty good value. They're required for some airship crafting as well as some 50-60 crafting recipes. If coke has tanked, look at that as an alternative.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I hope I'll never see [Hildibrand Manderville] ever again. He's unfunny.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The first OF quote that's absolutely true.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Ban this sick filth.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So how hard is Ramuh EX? Because Thunderclap would look loving swank with the Void Ark tanking gear. :allears: And can you Undersize it and still get weapons?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Thyrork posted:

So how hard is Ramuh EX? Because Thunderclap would look loving swank with the Void Ark tanking gear. :allears: And can you Undersize it and still get weapons?

I can speak for the difficulty of the fight itself but I can confirm loot still drops with undersized, ran Garuda/Titan/Ifrit/Leviathan EX yesterday and they dropped loot.

Also Ifrit dropped two mounts (one of them being Nightmare) and I didn't get either.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Holyshoot posted:

No I mean the 10 second buff goes up but you don't get hit for a killing blow so the cheat death doesn't proc. Thus it was a waste. Where as pld one is never a waste.

if you believe this then A: your healers are not playing smart and B: you don't really understand the central utility

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Agreed.

But I still couldn't live without /mdance or /hildy so it all works out.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Oneavi posted:

if you believe this then A: your healers are not playing smart and B: you don't really understand the central utility

It's great as a planned, ignore/trivialize tank buster move or some other mechanic. It's not so great as a panic button

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
oh

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Undersized at 60, bring 2 DPS and either 1 tank/2 heal or 2 tank/1 heal. 1 tank/1 heal could probably work too with a good SCH and a DRK or WAR for the non-magic self heals. Goal is around 5 people total.

Having fewer people makes that fight mechanically easier, mostly because it makes zapping charmed people a lot easier when a higher percentage of the group gets targeted. And at 60, it's not like you need a full party to make any DPS checks. On the other hand, you can probably just heal/live/revive people as necessary and just blunder through with a full party ignoring as many mechanics as you can. Hmm.

You've still gotta kill the adds (and stop DPSing Ramuh in the process so you don't push him to go boom early, though you usually only see that happen in hard mode), because that's still a wipe if you don't. And it's still a good idea to handle lightning orbs properly (which as it's always been, is considerably simpler with 1 tank rather than 2). Although I wouldn't be surprised if a DRK could eat a Shock Strike to the face without the buff and just shrug.

On a related tangent, Leviathan's also mechanically easier at 60 with a smaller group. Too much DPS does some really weird, confusing, and sometimes dangerous things to phase changes.

Vil fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 8, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pews posted:

It's great as a planned, ignore/trivialize tank buster move or some other mechanic. It's not so great as a panic button

None of your cooldowns should be panic buttons.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
If you're playing a tank and have "panic" buttons your not playing tank well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol:

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 8, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Doable if you get all the alliances there and have some tank LBs to pop if/when you get two AOEs covering the island in the ~30 seconds it takes to burn down the first brachy with multiple alliances focusing it. :colbert:

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

None of your cooldowns should be panic buttons.

Belzac posted:

If you're playing a tank and have "panic" buttons your not playing tank well.

If you're playing a class and don't understand its toolkit then you aren't playing it very well.

There are some abilities that are just as effective when used at 100% hp as they are when used at 20%. Those would make good "panic buttons".

When raid encounters are completely timed out and you can plan 100% for all boss abilities and cd usage, then yes you have no need for a panic button. But that's not saying they don't exist.

Healers also have panic buttons... Lustrate and tetragrammaton are not often planned out and are usually saved for an emergency situation. You want to utilize them as mana-free options to work into your healing rotation but that's really not ideal either.

I feel like maybe you guys just don't understand what is meant by the term.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
You know the kinds of attacks to expect from bosses and you generally know that large pulls can dish out a lot of damage, so you know which cooldowns you're going to use for those situations.

You're not going to use every cooldown.

You don't know when your pubbie healer is going to faff off and forget they're playing an MMO momentarily, so you can use those other cooldowns as "panic buttons" to try and survive a little longer until they get their brains back.

This isn't a revolutionary concept.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
We fully understand. A tank that is "saving something just in case" is a bad tank because they don't know the fight and will just die anyway before they can push the button they were saving. Tanking in this game is maximizing dps while not eating the floor. If you're not sure enough about a fight that you have to save CDs you're also probably gonna be in tank stance which makes you even worse. At end game there is very rarely a chance to go "oh i'm low on the hps i better hit the not die button" as the only states of existence are dead and enough hp to not die to the next attack if you're timing your cds right".

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Belzac posted:

We fully understand. A tank that is "saving something just in case" is a bad tank because they don't know the fight and will just die anyway before they can push the button they were saving. Tanking in this game is maximizing dps while not eating the floor. If you're not sure enough about a fight that you have to save CDs you're also probably gonna be in tank stance which makes you even worse. At end game there is very rarely a chance to go "oh i'm low on the hps i better hit the not die button" as the only states of existence are dead and enough hp to not die to the next attack if you're timing your cds right".

There are situations which a tank does not have control over which can cause a difference in expected eHP and actual eHP, such as a healer dying or a DPS failing at a mechanic that gave everyone a vulnerability stack. Certain cooldowns are better at responding to this than others, with Living Dead being one of the worst in the absence of Benediction.

Yes, if you're doing everything right, you should never need a "Panic Button", but not everyone is playing in that environment.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

The Chairman posted:

Like Rostnthal says, they're along the path to the hermit's hut to the north. Joye will lead you to them.

If you'd like to try again, you can rebuy the gun from the Machinist guild.

For reference, here's a guy doing that quest: http://youtu.be/JnaZzcsPc9M

The docile other mob were along that path, but no tigers. I guess the quest area bugged out or some poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Niton posted:

There are situations which a tank does not have control over which can cause a difference in expected eHP and actual eHP, such as a healer dying or a DPS failing at a mechanic that gave everyone a vulnerability stack. Certain cooldowns are better at responding to this than others, with Living Dead being one of the worst in the absence of Benediction.

Yes, if you're doing everything right, you should never need a "Panic Button", but not everyone is playing in that environment.

Why would you save cooldowns for just in case someone fucks up when you could just... not gently caress up? Even if you do gently caress up, it's just a wipe. Get back in there and learn how to not gently caress up. In the long run, learning to use cooldowns regularly and predictably will help you a lot more than saving them for the worst case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm all for recovery and think it's the sign of a great group over a good group but recovery is about working with what you have and not planning on needing to recover. It's like saving LB3 on Thordad "just in case".

• Locked thread