Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Have two buds with a regular core set each (plus mine) and we're getting together for a melee tomorrow evening. Any general advice for Melee strategy? Seems its more about taking advantage of momentum and backstabbery than super-deck strats.

Here's the Lannister/Fealty deck I've put together. Disclaimer: Haven't played a card game since Pokemon in the 90s so yeah. My plan is to get as much money as possible and dogpile the winner, letting my mad influence game win power slowly, and try to go for a turn 5/6 win.

Total Cards: (71)
Faction:
Lannister

Agenda: (1)
1x Fealty (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Feast for Crows (Core Set)
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Building Orders (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)

Character: (29)
3x Lannisport Merchant (Core Set)
3x Lannisport Moneylender (Core Set)
1x The Queen’s Assassin (Core Set)
3x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
1x Rattleshirt’s Raiders (Core Set)
3x Littlefinger (Core Set)
3x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
1x Wildling Horde (Core Set)
3x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
2x Varys (Core Set)
3x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)
3x The Tickler (Core Set)

Attachment: (13)
2x Bodyguard (Core Set)
2x Little Bird (Core Set)
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
3x Syrio’s Training (Core Set)
3x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)

Event: (12)
3x Superior Claim (Core Set)
3x The Things I Do For Love (Core Set)
3x The Hand’s Judgment (Core Set)
3x Treachery (Core Set)

3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Western Fiefdom (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x Casterly Rock (Core Set)
2x The Iron Throne (Core Set)
3x Lannisport (Core Set)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Verr posted:

Have two buds with a regular core set each (plus mine) and we're getting together for a melee tomorrow evening. Any general advice for Melee strategy? Seems its more about taking advantage of momentum and backstabbery than super-deck strats.

One thing I learned about melee is to make sure everybody has some semblance of a defense. If someone gets depleted to 0-2 units, they are going to essentially "feed" everyone else, so whoever can make the most unopposed challenges or has the most renown characters will win. The exception is maybe if you're Greyjoy, since they (with Great Kraken) can take advantage of unopposed challenges more than most, but weak players will absolutely feed someone like the Tyrells, since Randyll has a habit of being a multi-renown scorer. Related, but power challenges are by far the most important challenge type in the melee games I've played, since you need to get points.

You definitely want Burned Men and Gold Cloaks to soak up hits (or maybe even help win a challenge!). 3x Tickler is probably too much (I use 1x, personally), and I'm not sure about all the wildlings. Ditto Syrio's Training because, again, military isn't as big a deal in this since other houses will absolutely take better advantage of a weak opponent. Your deck also seems remarkably vulnerable to March and more military focused decks (Starks, Greyjoy), since you don't have a lot of characters and you're definitely not going to outpace Stark or Greyjoy in terms of sheer military. I wouldn't necessarily rely on bodyguards and dupes in that regard.

Confiscation is a super handy Plot in most decks, regardless of game type. Being able to kill a Heartseeker or Poppy is very handy. Sneak Attack has likewise done a poo poo ton of legwork in my melee deck since it's really important to be first on the "last" round since A) you can get the redirect and thus deny someone else redirecting your challenge and B) you go first and get 2 power out of the challenge for the game.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks for the advice. I've changed the list to reflect your choices. Any thoughts on the Location choices?
Total Cards: (73)

Faction:
Lannister

1x Fealty (Core Set)

1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)

Character: (31)
1x The Tickler (Core Set)
2x Varys (Core Set)
3x Gold Cloaks (Core Set)
3x Burned Men (Core Set)

Attachment: (10)
1x Bodyguard (Core Set)
1x Syrio’s Training (Core Set)

3x Treachery (Core Set)
3x Tear's of Lys (Core Set)

3x Lannisport (Core Set)

e: Forgot the Tear's of Lys.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Uhh. Don't play 70 cards. Cut that down to 60.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I picked up three core sets online today from CSI. $80 shipped was what made it an easy decision. Looking forward to playing this dang game a lot. It'll be nice to have something other than magic to play.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Verr posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've changed the list to reflect your choices. Any thoughts on the Location choices?
Total Cards: (73)

Faction:
Lannister

1x Fealty (Core Set)

Character: (31)
2x Varys (Core Set)
3x Burned Men (Core Set)

Attachment: (10)
1x Bodyguard (Core Set)
1x Syrio’s Training (Core Set)

3x Treachery (Core Set)
3x Tear's of Lys (Core Set)

3x Lannisport (Core Set)

e: Forgot the Tear's of Lys.

Why do you have a 73 card deck win the minimum requirement is 60 cards? You absolutely need to cut the deck down to 60 cards, which should be easy, since the deck is also illegal since you're playing Fealty and have way way more than 15 neutrals.

I am not able to currently completely correct the deck for you right now, but some suggestiones: go down to 2 littlefinger, drop the little birds, drop syrios training, drop superior claim, drop the iron throne, drop hand's judgement and go down to 2 milk of the poppy and 2 tear's of lys. I think that gets you to 15 neutrals. [double check this since I am not sure]

Drop casterly rock, run only 2 Lannisport. Add in 2 Pycelle, 1 joffery and 2 widow's wail.

I think that puts you at 60 cards exactly? I could be wrong though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

As a counterpoint, I really like 2x Superior Claim in Melee, for that last surprise push. Sneak Attack + Superior Claim + 1-2 Renown characters is a lot of Power in one turn that people may not have expected. Hand's Judgment, similarly, is pretty useful in melee, since more people = more surprise events. Being able to block a Dracarys, Superior Claim, Doran's Game, Risen From the Sea, Growing Strong or even Put to the Sword is pretty useful, and Lannister, especially with Tyrion, should have the money for it. Joffrey, Pycelle and Widow's Wail are good adds, though. Joffrey provides a good deterrent against military heavy decks that insist on murdering people down, and may even make things like Wildfire iffy plays late game when you're in range of winning.

Agreed to drop the Syrio's and Little Birds. Picking Master of Whispers protects you against the biggest military attacker (claim 3 military tends to blow!), and hopefully you have enough dudes to eat the occasional military hit. Again, completely obliterating a person is generally not a good play in Melee unless your deck is built to take advantage of that, and without a whole lot of Renown characters or being Greyjoy to take advantage of all the unopposed challenges, you're not. Casterly Rock is also pretty marginal.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 4, 2015

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm so sorry, I didn't realize this is a melee deck.

Ignore my advice except that your deck is illegal and fealty can only run 15 neutrals, and get down to 60 cards. :) Everything else, I have no idea about. I don't like melee and have never played it.

tijag fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 4, 2015

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks for the advice! I've dropped the neutrals down to 15, and put in a few more Jofferys/Widow's Wails.

Total Cards: (60)

Faction:
Lannister

1x Fealty (Core Set)

Character: (33)
3x Burned Men (Core Set)
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
1x Varys (Core Set)
2x Joffrey Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Grand Maester Pycelle (Core Set)

Attachment: (7)
2x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
2x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)
3x Widow’s Wail (Core Set)

Event: (11)
1x Superior Claim (Core Set)
2x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
3x Treachery (Core Set)
2x The Hand’s Judgment (Core Set)

2x Lannisport (Core Set)
1x Casterly Rock (Core Set)

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Verr posted:

2x Lannisport (Core Set)
1x Casterly Rock (Core Set)

I don't think you can afford to cut the kingsroads. I think you need 3x roseroad and 3x kings road. I'd drop the Fealty and run 18 neutrals before I dropped the kings road.

Drop Fealty, add the 3 kings roads, drop down to 1 joffery, 1 pycelle and 2 widdows wail, still have 60 cards, but have the kingsroads.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Done! I'll post a trip report, and how I managed to bungle a well built deck tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Last question: So you don't necessarily need an Agenda?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
You are not required to run an agenda. I'm not sure if that is actually the answer to your question.

Frequently you will want to run an agenda, but 'no agenda' was always part of AGoT 1.0, and I expect it will be a part of 2.0.

I certainly can't vouch for this being a well built deck, but it should at least be legal, which is important in a tournament! :D

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

It does. I was under the impression you always needed to be running a Banner or Fealty!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Good luck with Lannisters in melee, in my experience you will get absolutely creamed due to lack of military strength. Can't make use of all those intrigue bonuses when you have an empty board.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

tijag posted:

You are not required to run an agenda. I'm not sure if that is actually the answer to your question.

Frequently you will want to run an agenda, but 'no agenda' was always part of AGoT 1.0, and I expect it will be a part of 2.0.

I certainly can't vouch for this being a well built deck, but it should at least be legal, which is important in a tournament! :D

If people insist you have to run an agenda, just run your own houses banner, which amounts to the same thing as no agenda.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I've been having a lot of fun with this Lannister/Rose Melee deck

It starts defensively with defensive plots like Game of Thrones or Calm Over Westeros to weather initial aggressions, while playing out powerhouses like Jaime, Tywin, Randyll and Lorras with your superior economy options. End the game with either a Sneak Attack or if you want to be incredibly dickish, Wildfire your own guys (Tyrion, Marge, Cersei are pretty solid targets since they don't have renown) with Joffrey in play for the 3 point spike. Looking forward to subbing in Brothel Madames for Gold Cloaks and maybe something to replace Marched to the Wall, although that is also a good early play, obviously especially if someone in the melee was dumb or unfortunate enough to play a 7 coster during setup without backup.

I make no claims about how good this deck is, but it's pretty fun to play.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

That Lannister deck did pretty great. 3 person melee. The first game was Greyjoy/Fealty, NW/Stark, and I. Looked bad from the start with Tywin being put to the sword turn 1. Turned it around from behind and won as they pummled each other to steal power, and did a 8 power turn with Superior claim, Master of Whispers, rivals, and plenty of Renown. Second game was Greyjoy/Targ, NW/Stark, and I. Turn 6 everyone was one step away from 15 and I got the Sneak Attack off and won due to picking the right title and getting bonus power off of my rival.

Also netdecked a Baratheon kneel deck that decimated the NW/Stark in a joust after the Greyjoy player left. Three wins in a row made for a pretty good night.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Well I just finished sleeving a shitload of cards only to find that it made a 50-60 card deck entirely too thick and unworkable. So gently caress it I'm unsleeving everything.

Binders or cardboard boxes for LCGs?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Well I just finished sleeving a shitload of cards only to find that it made a 50-60 card deck entirely too thick and unworkable. So gently caress it I'm unsleeving everything.

either you have the worlds thickest sleeves, or you have the worlds tiniest hands. New sleeves sometimes need to be flattened since they are too poofy when you first sleeve stuff.

I'm all on the Binder train since I do deck building using webapps.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 6, 2015

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I binder cards that aren't in decks and put decks in Ultra Pro Pro Mattes. A 61 card deck plus 7 plots and a faction and agenda (so 70 cards total) still fits easily in a standard tin deck box, not even the big deluxe boxes. Learning to shuffle sleeved decks is a thing you just get used to.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I binder cards that aren't in decks and put decks in Ultra Pro Pro Mattes. A 61 card deck plus 7 plots and a faction and agenda (so 70 cards total) still fits easily in a standard tin deck box, not even the big deluxe boxes. Learning to shuffle sleeved decks is a thing you just get used to.

+1 to basically all this. Ultra Pro's binders are great for collections, with a single playset of a card sitting comfortably in each pocket. I might consider upgrading to their new 4-Up models once more GoT Chapter Packs start releasing, to ideally be able to hold an entire block in a single binder. Haven't done the math to see if it'll work though.

And shuffling a 60 card sleeved deck is really simple, but I guess if you're not used to sleeves it probably feels strange at first. There's a few tried and true methods that are pretty easy. Doing at least two of them should guarantee sufficient randomization:

1. Side/Press Shuffle: The most common you'll see/want to learn. Split the deck in half and while holding each with a loose grip gently press the two halves together along the side-edge of the cards. Helpful to start the press by pushing one half into the bottom corner of the other half and then dropping/setting everything into place. This emulates riffle shuffling without all the cards bending/scraping together. Alternatively you can still just riffle shuffle if you're more comfortable with that, again recommended doing it along the long sides, not top-to-bottom. Examples: Side shuffle:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_39ROWJbM7w, Sleeved riffle shuffle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EhLlSnTgL4

2. Several small cuts: With the deck in your dominant hand, slide/toss small packets of cards into your other hand repeatedly, with each packet going on top of the previous one. IE, by the end the top X cards are the bottom X cards, and the bottom X are on top. Alternating with side/riffle shuffling gets things mixed up pretty well.

3. Pile Shuffle: The easiest way to randomize if you're not handling the more dexterous ways listed above. Simple deal the deck out one card at a time into 5+ piles and then assemble the deck by combining all the piles. You see this a lot in card gaming because people don't trust that the above methods will actually randomize card clumps from past games.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 7, 2015

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Today was the first day my local FLGS was using more than one core in its tournaments,, and in the process of making sure my deck was what it was supposed to be, I realized my first core only came with one copy of Illyrio's Estate, instead of the appropriate two. TG, I confess I got all butthurt about having to run with only 2 important economy cards and edited my deck accordingly before realizing my second core should, barring identical defect, have enough estates for any legal deck.

Which it did.

I still filed a replacement request with FFG, despite the fact it's vanishingly unlikely that an Agenda will pop up wherein having 5 instead of 6 copies of the drat thing will matter. I told myself that I might want to run two, crappy Targ decks out of three cores at the same time, and thus need them.

e:
Oh: and I went 3-0 with a Targ/Lion deck. Got Dany and all three dragons out twice, and Jaime+Khal Drogo all three games. It was just a goddamn steamroller once I got that going. It was my first time even placing in one of our events, so I'm super pumped.

erazure fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 7, 2015

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Quick rules question: My opponent attempted to counter a 1-gold Event with The Hand's Judgment where X=1. Can I counter his Judgement with my own Judgement and does it cost 1 as well?

I would assume so, but I wanted to be sure.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pinwiz11 posted:

Quick rules question: My opponent attempted to counter a 1-gold Event with The Hand's Judgment where X=1. Can I counter his Judgement with my own Judgement and does it cost 1 as well?

I would assume so, but I wanted to be sure.

You can counter it, and it costs 0. X always counts as 0 for the purposes of Hands Judgement.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

signalnoise posted:

What in the world? The deck 60 card deck fully sleeved is no problem at all. What sleeves did you buy?

I put my cards in a box because binders are just too much effort.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

JoshTheStampede posted:

You can counter it, and it costs 0. X always counts as 0 for the purposes of Hands Judgement.

This the right answer.

For his cancel of your event, he had to pay 1, because the printed cost of your event was 1. When you went to cancel his hand's judegment, the printed cost of that event was x, and xhas a generic value of 0 unless otherwise modified by something. In this case it's not being modified by anything, so your hand's judgement cancels his hand's judgement for 0.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

tijag posted:

What in the world? The deck 60 card deck fully sleeved is no problem at all. What sleeves did you buy?

I put my cards in a box because binders are just too much effort.

KMC Perfect + KMC Hyper Mat

I know it's overkill and it doubles the thickness of the cards too. Honestly though I think I'm gonna not sleeve just because I probably won't wear them out before I stop playing a LCG.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Just sleeve them in the hyper mattes. You will need to shuffle them a bunch before all the air is compressed out of the sleeves

E: perfect fit + hyper matte is for like your magic cube or $1000 modern constructed deck or whatever

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yea I can give that a try

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Just sleeve them in the hyper mattes. You will need to shuffle them a bunch before all the air is compressed out of the sleeves

E: perfect fit + hyper matte is for like your magic cube or $1000 modern constructed deck or whatever

This, just don't double sleeve them. I too love the KMC Hyper Matte sleeves.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Double sleeving anything sounds like masochism.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Merauder posted:

+1 to basically all this. Ultra Pro's binders are great for collections, with a single playset of a card sitting comfortably in each pocket. I might consider upgrading to their new 4-Up models once more GoT Chapter Packs start releasing, to ideally be able to hold an entire block in a single binder. Haven't done the math to see if it'll work though.

360 cards per block, binder holds 480. Not enough for 2 blocks, not enough for a block + big box without double packing. Looks frustrating.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

It's also quite expensive

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Binders suck for LCGs because every time a chapter pack comes out you have to rearrange everything to make room, assuming you keep them in a sensible order (faction --> card type ---> alphabetical). Long boxes with plastic dividers are the way to go and cost next to nothing.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Thirsty Dog posted:

I double sleeved some Netrunner just because for whatever reason they were a little loose in the sleeves I had and it made it hard to shuffle. But besides that yeah it's a pain.

Bottom Liner posted:

Binders suck for LCGs because every time a chapter pack comes out you have to rearrange everything to make room, assuming you keep them in a sensible order (faction --> card type ---> alphabetical). Long boxes with plastic dividers are the way to go and cost next to nothing.

You can just store by set --> faction --> card type or set --> number and be fine.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

EVGA Longoria posted:

360 cards per block, binder holds 480. Not enough for 2 blocks, not enough for a block + big box without double packing. Looks frustrating.

Actually if a block is 360 cards when all is said and done, their normal 9-page Pro binders are perfect; you just have to put a full playset in each pocket, not single cards, which is how I would normally do it anyway. Only excess would be multiple playsets of select cards if you have multiple core sets.

JoshTheStampede posted:

You can just store by set --> faction --> card type or set --> number and be fine.

Agreed, this is how I expect to be doing it. Maybe I'll re-org it all once a full block is done, but as they release I'll just be tacking on the new sets in order.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The online deck builders let you sort by set/number so if you add them to the binder in that sorting, it's super easy to both find your cards and add a new expansion to your binder. It's easily the laziest way to go about it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

I double sleeved some Netrunner just because for whatever reason they were a little loose in the sleeves I had and it made it hard to shuffle. But besides that yeah it's a pain.

So you'd have to go through multiple sections or binders to build a fealty deck because you sort them by expansions? Seems like a pain in the rear end. I prefer to look through everything together when deck building.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just deck build online and then pull the cards I need out of storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I just put all my cards in a shoebox and dump them all on the floor whenever I want to deckbuild.