Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The teasource.com sale is out. 20% off black teas on Friday, Free Shipping on Monday, and spend $75 in December get a $10 gift card.

Edit: I'm tempted to buy a bunch of that teavivre Dragonwell. So yummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Their Premium grade Dragonwell is only 20% off as opposed to 40% for the standard grade, but the Premium is definitely worth the price. I really enjoy its roasted, nutty flavor, as opposed to the fresher, greener taste of the more expensive early-harvest Dragonwells.

Teavivre's Lu Shan Yun Wu also has that wonderful nutty flavor. I'll be restocking my supply of both tomorrow.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Heads up guys, if you get an order over $30 (and you should) at teavivre, you can use coupon code WITSTEA8 for another $8 off! applies to the black friday items too!

You may have to play around with it, it wouldn't let me do it until I added the samples.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Well, I just balled out and bought a bunch of green tea samples from Upton. I'm coming off a year-long oolong bender and getting kinda sick of it. Looking forward to trying their mao feng, I don't think I've had any from them.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Heads up guys, if you get an order over $30 (and you should) at teavivre, you can use coupon code WITSTEA8 for another $8 off! applies to the black friday items too!

You may have to play around with it, it wouldn't let me do it until I added the samples.

Noooooo I just wanted one bag of tea and welp. :( But seriously though, thank you, I'll have xmas gifts if USPS gets here on time. :) Those little tuochas look like cute additions to a diy fancy pants 'mug-and-tea' gift sets. Soon I will convert everyone I know into tea drinkers!

I got:

Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong Tea
Keemun Black Tea – Grade 2
Premium Jasmine Dragon Pearls Green Tea
Lapsang Souchong Smoky Black Tea
Jasmine Raw Pu-erh Mini Tuocha
Taiwan Monkey Picked (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Samples:
Menghai Golden Buds Tribute Ripened Pu-erh Cake 2009 - 10g
Fengqing Old Tree Raw Pu-erh Cake Tea 2013 - 10g
And some flowering teas I can't recall but will also be gifts.

chunkles posted:

Well, I just balled out and bought a bunch of green tea samples from Upton. I'm coming off a year-long oolong bender and getting kinda sick of it. Looking forward to trying their mao feng, I don't think I've had any from them.

Anything tea in particular you really wanted or just as a grab bag of ne things? I swear I go in cycles too. White, Green, Black, Oolong.... My wallet fears the day I want to attempt pu-erhs.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Yeah, I just tend to grab a bunch of samples that catch my eye, trying not to repeat. When I hit one that's good + affordable, I order a bigger bag and stick to it for awhile. (Good being relative, I think I've only tossed one particular tea from Upton)

Sometimes I get a nice off the beaten track surprise, like their Himalayan Bliss (from Nepal) was a great black.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Coupon code was a fussy pain in the dick, but 600g of Black Friday specials and 20g of samples for $33.40 is worth it. :getin:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Ineffiable posted:

I ordered literally an hour before you posted this. My wallet has a sad.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wedemeyer posted:

I got:

Keemun Black Tea – Grade 2

Samples:
Menghai Golden Buds Tribute Ripened Pu-erh Cake 2009 - 10g

My order was pretty similar:

Keemun Black Tea – Grade 1

Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea

Strawberry Oolong Tea

Yunnan Gongfu Fragrant Black Tea

Samples:

Menghai Golden Buds Tribute Ripened Pu-erh Cake 2009
Blueberry Fruit Tea

And I now have an account which will surely bleed what is left of my wallet dry.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I got a double portion of:
Lapsang Souchong Smoky Black Tea (Yan Xun Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong)

And samples of:
Ripened Aged Loose Pu-erh Tea
Gunpowder Green Tea (Zhu Cha)
Jasmine Bi Luo Chun Green Tea
Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian
Dragon Well Green Tea (Long Jing)

Getting my feet wet on the more complicated stuff, thought they would be fun. Straight ahead "normal" black tea like the British often drink bores me, I think I steered clear of that.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Ineffiable posted:

Thanks for the hookup, but I couldn't get it to work. No biggie.

I haven't had this year's batch of the Ma Liu Mie oolong, but if it's anything like last year's, all of you who ordered it are in for a treat. The smell and flavor of the last batch reminded me of freshly-baked bread.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Wound up going for:

Golden Monkey Black Tea
Strawberry Oolong Tea
Premium Keemun Hao Ya Black Tea
Ripened Rose Pu-erh Mini Tuocha

And samples of Mo Li Piao Xue Jasmine Green Tea and Fengqing Ancient Tree Spring Chun Jian Raw Pu-erh Cake Tea 2012.

Though for whatever reason, the site's showing my order as Awaiting Payment, even though I have two charges for this order on my bank account. Anyone know how good TeaVivre is about correcting duplicate charges?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I wrote a negative review of one of Teavivre's black teas one time. It wasn't a scathing review; I just felt like the tea was slightly inferior compared to others at the same price. Nonetheless, they immediately offered me a refund, so I'm sure you'll be able to sort out any issues with payment.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
And sure enough, they got back to me already and cancelled the duplicate payment.

Couple of things for the topic! First, the Trader Joe's tea set - it's a variety of 10 teas for a total of 4.32 oz costing about $12. The ones I've tried so far (Raspberry black and Gunpowder green) aren't anything out of this world, but it makes a good gift for someone who is learning more about loose-leaf tea or if you just want a quick tea fix and don't feel like waiting for shipping.

Second, has anyone ordered anything from https://www.waterfalltea.com? I ran into them while exhibiting at Coffee Fest, and the blooming teas they brought with them seemed okay.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Teavivre's doing a Cyber Monday sale right now for those who missed the Black Friday.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Well Upton's Jasmine Phoenix Pearl is loving amazing. I wish I could afford to drink it everyday.

(I always do this with a good jasmine-mixed tea -- I tend to get sick of them after a few weeks).

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

the day after watching my daughter's Nutcracker performance, a box arrived with shiny pouches of tea from China. :getin:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I drank some duck poo poo yesterday it was pretty tasty

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/dan-cong-oolongs/3500-king-of-duck-poo poo-aroma-dan-cong-oolong-tea-spring-2015.html

mmm. duck poo poo

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tried Teavivre's strawberry oolong, yesterday. The strawberry fragrance was aggressive in the pouch but brewed to a pretty mild cup. My wife and kids really liked it and I thought it was alright.

Looking forward to tucking into the non-flavored teas.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

Tried Teavivre's strawberry oolong, yesterday. The strawberry fragrance was aggressive in the pouch but brewed to a pretty mild cup. My wife and kids really liked it and I thought it was alright.

Looking forward to tucking into the non-flavored teas.

I found a sample package of their Fengqing Old Tree Raw Pu-erh cake 2013 in my drawer. It is wonderful. Most everything I've had from there is wonderful. I've never run into any off or chemical flavors either (like I have with some Indian teas). I just need to drink through what I have before I'm allowed to order anything new. I would like to try their dragonwell, and maybe a few oolongs as well. The pu-erhs I have tried many and they are wonderful.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Their mini tuos are the only thing I'd say are hit and miss, but that's kind of true of that form factor in general. They're pretty much the teabags of the puerh world.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

Their mini tuos are the only thing I'd say are hit and miss, but that's kind of true of that form factor in general. They're pretty much the teabags of the puerh world.

Entirely agree with that. But I love how musky and fishy they can get. I don't care for vegetative/grassy flavors a lot of the time, which is the reason I can't manage to drink through my greens.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jhet posted:

Entirely agree with that. But I love how musky and fishy they can get. I don't care for vegetative/grassy flavors a lot of the time, which is the reason I can't manage to drink through my greens.

That's how I feel with young sheng. It's really interesting to get those high mountain gaoshan notes along with the strong bitterness and vegetal flavors associated with young puerh, but I'd rather be drinking some dank musty wet stored mid 2000s factory tea instead...

Sidenote, I'm really excited to get my farmer's tea shu from CLT. Hope it's a good impulse buy. It's ridiculous how cheap ripe puerh is compared to many other teas.

Gonna have to add that to my next YS order. Haven't had dancongs in a good long while now.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 8, 2015

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Never thought I'd want to drink duck poo poo before. Might have to try that as I've not had a dan cong before

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Wow the Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi rock tea oolong is amazing. I've had bagged oolong before that was really meh. This stuff brought me back to when I did a summer internship with this Chinese professor and her grad students, the tea we'd drink at meetings. Amazing to find that same taste that again, I wasn't even looking for it.

Looking forward to digging through the rest of my samples.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Enfys posted:

Never thought I'd want to drink duck poo poo before. Might have to try that as I've not had a dan cong before

I didn't have the one from Yunnan Sourcing, but it's a pretty interesting tea. After a few rounds of trying it out I definitely wanted to buy some (which, I did) and I look forward to drinking more of it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The blueberry fruit tea from Teavivre was really good. A surprisingly clear blueberry flavor and slightly tart undertone. Wife reports that some sugar in her cup turned it into a horrific Jolly Rancher.

I'll definitely order more of this for a change of pace and friends that don't do caffeine in evenings.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

I'm usually an Upton guy, but I made an order with Teavivre on the strength of their Black Friday sale. Since the tracking information is in Chinese, I don't know what's going on.

How long does an order usually take to arrive from Teavivre?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

XBenedict posted:

I'm usually an Upton guy, but I made an order with Teavivre on the strength of their Black Friday sale. Since the tracking information is in Chinese, I don't know what's going on.

How long does an order usually take to arrive from Teavivre?

Not terribly long, but it is coming direct from China so it may have to sit at customs. They package it well so it's not really a concern. I think the last time I ordered it took about 10 days total? It took longer when I ordered from India, but it's been a while so I don't remember exactly.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I ordered on black friday evening, got it this week on Monday. West Coast of North America, so maybe it depends where you life and how poo poo or good your usps is? I opted for usps, anyways.

Also the lapsang souchong is gross. Like drinking cedar wood. :( Not my style. Though it was an interesting test to see how smell is attached to taste. Pinched nose: no wood taste. Smell the tea: wood taste. I did it as per instructions too. 1 tblspon and 17 oz of water. I hope they'll take it back. I don't think anyone I know would want it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Jhet posted:

Not terribly long, but it is coming direct from China so it may have to sit at customs. They package it well so it's not really a concern. I think the last time I ordered it took about 10 days total? It took longer when I ordered from India, but it's been a while so I don't remember exactly.

Thanks. They tried to deliver it today. 11 days. Not terrible.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

XBenedict posted:

Thanks. They tried to deliver it today. 11 days. Not terrible.

Yeah, I think it was pretty quick once they got through customs, but I'm also near where China ships everything through the pacific northwest.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Wedemeyer posted:

I ordered on black friday evening, got it this week on Monday. West Coast of North America, so maybe it depends where you life and how poo poo or good your usps is? I opted for usps, anyways.

Also the lapsang souchong is gross. Like drinking cedar wood. :( Not my style. Though it was an interesting test to see how smell is attached to taste. Pinched nose: no wood taste. Smell the tea: wood taste. I did it as per instructions too. 1 tblspon and 17 oz of water. I hope they'll take it back. I don't think anyone I know would want it.

Use it for cooking. Bring it to a boil with maple syrup, let steep, then strain off. Best thing to go with chicken and waffles or chicken fried steak and waffles. Or infuse it into soy sauce. Or anything else you would use liquid smoke in.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Recently been trying out a handful of UK tea sites again and found https://jingtea.com/ to be one of the best for quality / price, http://www.greysteas.co.uk/ is really good for selection, best I've found for Japanese teas if the OP could those two into the OP under :britain: that'd be awesome.

Been finishing off the Gyokuro ready for the Christmas peroid where I normally always have Puerh, Assam and Lapsang

Thoht posted:

Use it for cooking. Bring it to a boil with maple syrup, let steep, then strain off. Best thing to go with chicken and waffles or chicken fried steak and waffles. Or infuse it into soy sauce. Or anything else you would use liquid smoke in.

This

or if you want to be in the holiday do a posh hot toddy and replace the hot water with your lapsang souchong

Make it your own but my personal one is (depending how big your mug is), 1tbsp honey [or maple syrup], 2 ounces [60ml] whisky, 3ounces [90ml] lapsang souchong, half a cinnmon stick, slice of lemon and a single whole star anise. But make it you own, use some spices you like or think would work well with the smokiness of the lapsang and the whisky

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 11, 2015

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
I'm going to order some loose leaf tea stuff for my wife as a last addition to gifts before Christmas. I use amazon a ton and shipping is very reliable so even though I see all of these vendors in OP I figured I would at least ask about what I am seeing on Amazon.

I have a Electric Kettle I use for my french press so I think I am good there.

Would either of these work as a pot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AAP5I?keywords=tea%20pot&qid=1450063974&ref_=sr_1_8&refinements=p_72%3A1248915011&s=kitchen&sr=1-8
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WTBQ0?keywords=tea%20pot&qid=1450063974&ref_=sr_1_1&refinements=p_72%3A1248915011&s=kitchen&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VGS7NMS?keywords=teapot&qid=1450064146&ref_=sr_1_4&refinements=p_72%3A1248915011&s=kitchen&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZMNLO0?keywords=teapot&qid=1450064196&ref_=sr_1_13&refinements=p_72%3A1248915011&s=kitchen&sr=1-13

There are a lot of different styles and I am willing to spend some money so if someone has a better suggestion?

Is there a vendor that sells loose leaf teas with prime on Amazon that is worth it? My wife drinks green tea, chai tean and mint tea bags made to aid sleep or something.

If found these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00872PDAA?keywords=loose%20leaf%20tea&qid=1450064315&ref_=sr_1_5&s=kitchen&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AFKYDE?keywords=loose%20leaf%20tea&qid=1450064365&ref_=sr_1_3&s=kitchen&sr=1-3

Thanks for your time and if someone scoffs at all of this and says I should go through a vendor instead I still have time to do that so just let me know. Please recommend a Tea pot if you would.

Between the time I posted this and now I've decided just to put a order in on Adagio.

teknologik fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 14, 2015

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Your picks before you went the Adagio route were fine, really - I personally use the FORLIFE teapot you linked but the lid broke so I ended up getting a Finum filter basket with a replacement lid built for it. The iron teapot should not be used directly on the stove and should always be preheated before steeping, should you ever want to buy one in the future. The other stuff is mostly just fragile stuff and should be handled as such - they'll also cool off quickly. In terms of Amazon-prime compatible tea stuff I'd recommend first exploring samplers and then homing in on what you'd like to order a shitload of with Prime on a regular basis. There's plenty of different brands so to exhaustively go through them for even a single category that are Prime eligible is probably more trouble than it's worth - cherry picking and determining if the brand's good is probably a better bet!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I would say it's a crap shoot trying to get tea on Amazon and you're usually better off getting tea from a tea centered website. Like adiago or Upton.

Chances are, you're actually paying less for better quality tea on adiago or Upton as well.

Remember, quality truly matters here.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Does anyone know a reliable web store in the UK where I'd be able to get quality silver needle/other stuff? I normally go to a market stall, but they've not had silver needle in ages and I need my loving fix, man.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I would say it's a crap shoot trying to get tea on Amazon and you're usually better off getting tea from a tea centered website. Like adiago or Upton.

Chances are, you're actually paying less for better quality tea on adiago or Upton as well.

Remember, quality truly matters here.

This, Upton really was a huge difference in quality from the grocery store or Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fluo posted:

Recently been trying out a handful of UK tea sites again and found https://jingtea.com/ to be one of the best for quality / price, http://www.greysteas.co.uk/ is really good for selection, best I've found for Japanese teas if the OP could those two into the OP under :britain: that'd be awesome.

@Cymbal Monkey

Fluo just posted about two good sites. Jing tea seems to have what you're looking for.