Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

clutchpuck posted:

The alternative solvent discussed earlier will literally burn your house down if you are not careful.

I am good at following MSDS! No good at not getting fluids...everywhere...gently caress now w/ the paint thing, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Verge posted:

Very. Computers, electronics, poo poo, even the electronics in automobiles are just obvious to me. Physics! Thermodynamics and other forces, I say! None of these bring me issues. Internal combustion engines and that which surrounds them? Baffling. Wizardry. I am like a child. I'll add that the fact that an engine can handle anything more than 20,000 revs is, to me, as amazing as frictionless spheres in a bubble. Same with brakes lasting as long as they do and actually...working...for more than like one use. Of course it would turn out that I love motorcycles...-sigh-

This is part of the reason that I almost bought an electric motorcycle.

I am being 100% serious when I say I can't tell if you are trying to troll poorly or just an idiot.

E: Skid Lids are for dipshits that think looking like a tool is cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

With the engine, I mean 20k revs...count. My fault. As in 4 minutes at 5k RPM. SOMETHING should wear away. This is what I mean by frictionless spheres.

There is no metal-on-metal contact in a properly lubricated engine (in the really important parts, anyway). The pistons and valves and crank bearings and camshaft sprockets and everything else ride on a thin film of oil at all times.

4 minutes at 5000 RPM is a pretty good estimate of how long it would take for an engine with no oil to self-destruct.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I am being 100% serious when I say I can't tell if you are trying to troll poorly or just an idiot.

Hey, at least he's aware that being good at a theoretical discipline doesn't mean you know anything about the applied version of the same. We've all met the "I know everything about thermodynamics, and an engine is just applied thermodynamics, therefore I know everything about engines" blowhards.

They're usually engineers.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 8, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

3M Brake Cleaner:

The alternative solvent discussed earlier will literally burn your house down if you are not careful.

That's the standard spiel that you get in any SDS for handling just about any solvent (or lighter hydrocarbons in general). Wear cheap sunglasses, keep your face away from the things you're spraying, and don't do it in your garage just about covers it. Treat it like you would gasoline (don't smoke and use brake cleaner!) and you're fine.

If you manage to burn down your house with a can of brake cleaner then that's just darwinism kicking in. Hope your mower is electric.

e: I have an SDS for DI water sitting around somewhere that says, incase of eye contact, you need to flush your eyes for 15min.

e2: Simple green loving owns and it's what I use to clean my bike, btw. I just wanted to throw that out there.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 8, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

They're usuallyalways engineers.

Reminds me of the engineer who came into my work and spent half an hour arguing till he was blue in the face about the relative accuracies of the tyre gauge at the petrol station vs the one in my hand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of the MSDS sheets in our shop is for reagent-grade ethanol:

quote:

May cause gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and alterations in gastric secretions. May affect behavior/central nervous system (central nervous system depression - amnesia, headache, muscular incoordination, excitation, mild euphoria, slurred speech, drowsiness, staggaring gait, fatigue, changes in mood/personality, excessive talking, dizziness, ataxia, somnolence, coma/narcosis, hallucinations, distorted perceptions, general anesthetic), peripherial nervous system (spastic paralysis) vision (diplopia).

The treatment for mild to moderate ingestion is "loosen tight clothing."

:cheers:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Digital_Jesus posted:

E: Skid Lids are for dipshits that think looking like a tool is cool.

No, really, man. I took small gas engines and naturally I passed (almost impossible not to) in high school but it still didn't click.

Also, it's a certain freedom to feel the wind full force on your face. Helmetless is better but turtle shells are the next best thing. I don't mean like political freedom, either. More like feeling so free after you cut off your long hair. It's like one of the missing elements that separates motorcycling from flying. Also the Bell Rogue looks cool as poo poo. Fact is, they increase your chance of death and if your goal is to live a long life with a full faced helmet, your choice is very, very easy but for those with slightly different goals, the risk v. reward equation is far less simple.

Sagebrush posted:

There is no metal-on-metal contact in a properly lubricated engine (in the really important parts, anyway). The pistons and valves and crank bearings and camshaft sprockets and everything else ride on a thin film of oil at all times.

4 minutes at 5000 RPM is a pretty good estimate of how long it would take for an engine with no oil to self-destruct.

That...actually explains a lot...so it really is almost frictionless surfaces as far as wear and tear goes because the wear is placed on the disposable oil. Thank you for explaining this in a way I can understand - believe me when I say I've struggled with this for a decade.

Slavvy posted:

Reminds me of the engineer who came into my work and spent half an hour arguing till he was blue in the face about the relative accuracies of the tyre gauge at the petrol station vs the one in my hand.

Did you tell him the margin of error was within acceptable parameters? It doesn't shut them up but their following rant usually makes me laugh.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
gently caress that poo poo. Bugs hurt like a motherfucker even through a mx helmet.

Plus I'm fond of my big squishy derpy overclocked monkey brain

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress that poo poo. Bugs hurt like a motherfucker even through a mx helmet.

Plus I'm fond of my big squishy derpy overclocked monkey brain

gently caress lack of face protection on the highway. RAIN feels like hail with a half helmet on the highway.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In my dumber days, if you can believe even dumber, I rode to Sturgis and back with a 3/4 and no windshield. It was a feast of bugs.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

the bell rogue looks dumb and tryhard as poo poo

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's not that tryhard, all this hate on it is pretty tryhard though. Think about it. There are a lot of people obviously not enlightened as us who do not poo poo themselves with rage at the site of a half helmet, and have probably never even heard of a full face. In their world, they also don't like eating bugs very much and so somebody added a bug blocker to a standard helmet design. That's evolutionary.

I am not saying you have to like it but man, try harder hating it or something.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

It's not that tryhard, all this hate on it is pretty tryhard though. Think about it. There are a lot of people obviously not enlightened as us who do not poo poo themselves with rage at the site of a half helmet, and have probably never even heard of a full face. In their world, they also don't like eating bugs very much and so somebody added a bug blocker to a standard helmet design. That's evolutionary.

I am not saying you have to like it but man, try harder hating it or something.

I'm responding to you seriously, not to verge. Verge is trolling. Just want to make that clear.

I dislike half helmets and no helmets for two primary reasons. First, I have empathy and I recognize that those folks who wear them (or don't) are more likely to get injured in a way that I find cringe-inducing. i.e., having your face caved in or scraped off. Second, they're contributing to the general impression among people I interact with that motorcycles are dangerous because they tend to increase the incidence and severity of injury and man I don't want to deal with the resulting "lol donercycle" I get from folks I know. I recognize that in both cases, this is a thing I will have to deal with but I'm not going down without a disapproving internal tsk tsk and sad nod of the head. This is America. I have my rights!

There's an argument to be had here about paternalism too, I suppose but that's a much bigger question generally, I think.

clutchpuck posted:

In my dumber days, if you can believe even dumber, I rode to Sturgis and back with a 3/4 and no windshield. It was a feast of bugs.

you hungry?

nope. ate on the road. :downsrim:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

builds character posted:

Verge is trolling. Just want to make that clear.

You don't need to talk to me but keep your accusations to yourself. I'm a veteran, a patriot and I can see both sides to the ATGATT v. freedom-whatever arguments. Just because you can't doesn't make me blind.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm mostly griping about the over the top hate for the Bell Rogue even relative to all the other halfsies. Just trying to point out that some folks' tryhard styling is others' simple practicality. It's especially silly when everything to do with motorcycling involves at least some effort toward looking cool; tricolore livery, kanji letters, muffler design, engine casings, turn signals... everything.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Verge posted:

You don't need to talk to me but keep your accusations to yourself. I'm a veteran, a patriot and I can see both sides to the ATGATT v. freedom-whatever arguments. Just because you can't doesn't make me blind.

TYFYS

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Here's a whack question: on my Cambodia trip, my bike started blowing black smoke on acceleration. To the mechanic this meant it was time to change/add oil (which fixed things). First of all, it's a testament to Honda quality that those bikes have lasted for like 20 years now. Second, why would low/sludgy oil cause black smoke? Sticking valves?

Someone else had the same issue + losing power, probably from the engine seizing. Again, an oil change and off you go.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Thank you sir. :911:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

High Protein posted:

Here's a whack question: on my Cambodia trip, my bike started blowing black smoke on acceleration.

Was it genuinely black smoke, like soot from a diesel truck? Or was it the bluish-gray color that comes from burning oil?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

It's especially silly when everything to do with motorcycling involves at least some effort toward looking cool; tricolore livery, kanji letters, muffler design, engine casings, turn signals... everything.

I also find these things dumb though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If there isn't at least one thing about motorcycling that you do specifically because it's cool, then why the hell are you doing it? Bikes certainly aren't about being practical or frugal.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Fun != Cool

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

If there isn't at least one thing about motorcycling that you do specifically because it's cool, then why the hell are you doing it? Bikes certainly aren't about being practical or frugal.

I can't claim the latter any more since moving to the 600, but it kind of is a practicality thing for me: I've got nowhere to put a car, and thoroughly suck at finding urban car parking space when I'm out on errands.

I will however happily admit that half the reason I got into bikes was to have an excuse to buy and wear some Nice Boots. :coolfish:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Was it genuinely black smoke, like soot from a diesel truck? Or was it the bluish-gray color that comes from burning oil?

Bluish I think.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

I'm mostly griping about the over the top hate for the Bell Rogue even relative to all the other halfsies. Just trying to point out that some folks' tryhard styling is others' simple practicality. It's especially silly when everything to do with motorcycling involves at least some effort toward looking cool; tricolore livery, kanji letters, muffler design, engine casings, turn signals... everything.

Oh, yeah I don't hate the bell rogue more than other half helmets. I just dislike half/no helmets for the reasons I mentioned.

But I do looooooove kanji!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll be mad if that isn't real kinstugi on that fairing. It'd be really cool if it is, or even if it's only a regular repair with gold over the top.

Just a shame they picked the Japanese font equivalent of Times New Roman :eng99:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

builds character posted:

Oh, yeah I don't hate the bell rogue more than other half helmets. I just dislike half/no helmets for the reasons I mentioned.

But I do looooooove kanji!

He has improved his busted rear end bike by highlight how busted it is. Beautiful.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I got into motorcycles for frugal.

That was the plan in the beginning, anyway. I still only pay $350/yr for full coverage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My point is that if you want practical, frugal point-A-to-point-B transportation, you buy a $2000 Toyota Echo and that's the end of it. You get 40 miles per gallon, insurance costs nothing, and all you put into it is gas, oil and maybe tires and drive it until it falls apart.

I like the practicality of being able to park my motorcycle literally anywhere, and the mostly theoretical frugality of its fuel consumption (because I always ride more than I actually need to). But the maintenance, the gear, the tuning, the modifications...my bikes cost me far more and take up way more of my time than my 12-year-old Ford does.

I don't resent the time or the cost at all (well a little, sometimes) but I'm not kidding myself that it is, in the long run, a cheaper or less personally-involved mode of transportation. I ride the bikes because they're cool and fun.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

My point is that if you want practical, frugal point-A-to-point-B transportation, you buy a $2000 Toyota Echo and that's the end of it. You get 40 miles per gallon, insurance costs nothing, and all you put into it is gas, oil and maybe tires and drive it until it falls apart.

I like the practicality of being able to park my motorcycle literally anywhere, and the mostly theoretical frugality of its fuel consumption (because I always ride more than I actually need to). But the maintenance, the gear, the tuning, the modifications...my bikes cost me far more and take up way more of my time than my 12-year-old Ford does.

I don't resent the time or the cost at all (well a little, sometimes) but I'm not kidding myself that it is, in the long run, a cheaper or less personally-involved mode of transportation. I ride the bikes because they're cool and fun.

You know that helmets are covered by most policies that cover accessories?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My old rear end bike is like owning a boat. Cost savings? lol NOPE. Smiles per dollar? yeah that'll do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

You know that helmets are covered by most policies that cover accessories?

Yes, if you crash in them. What's your point?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, if you crash in them. What's your point?

Oh, it just sounded like you were going through helmets like a boss by the way you spoke of gear being expensive.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Good gear is expensive. Don't buy Bilt.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

the mostly theoretical frugality of its fuel consumption (because I always ride more than I actually need to).
Cars have been forced to reduce their fuel consumption in a way that bikes haven't yet so many bikes actually use more fuel than a car, especially if you consider the differences in engine size. According to Fuelly I average 5.8l/100km (41 mpg) on my Ninja 650, which is more than the listed consumption for a 190hp Volvo S60 T4 and probably only slightly less than the real-world consumption of the car.

But yeah it's hard to beat the "park anywhere, never get stuck in traffic jams" aspect of a bike.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 9, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The new 300s are supposedly pretty good for mileage, hopefully kawasaki's stable of supers will include at least one entry that builds on that.

A light efficient bike suitable for commuting but with enough grunt to comfortably carry as much luggage as a 600 would be bloody brilliant.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Renaissance Robot posted:

The new 300s are supposedly pretty good for mileage, hopefully kawasaki's stable of supers will include at least one entry that builds on that.

A light efficient bike suitable for commuting but with enough grunt to comfortably carry as much luggage as a 600 would be bloody brilliant.

Doesn't the FZ07 get some silly amount of mpg?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yamaha list it at 58mpg.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I forgot to specify that I'd want it to be fully faired.

I'd have an NC700 but I just can't stand that idiotic bird nose.

e/ basically all I want is ninjette with fat hardcases and a touring windscreen, and just enough power for those things to not completely kill its ability to cruise at highway speeds

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance Robot posted:

e/ basically all I want is ninjette with fat hardcases and a touring windscreen, and just enough power for those things to not completely kill its ability to cruise at highway speeds

My 300 does just fine with some luggage and my rear end on it, doing 75+ on the highway. Might work for ya!