Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lancelot posted:

I think "resolves" is just as bad as "stack".
I think if you can't wrap your head around what 'resolves" and "stack" that maybe Magic just isn't the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Just saw the original design he made that eventually became Brimaz. 3WWW 3/3 that can tap down non-white creatures for 3WWW, when it deals combat damage to a player, sac it and put 300 1/1s into play lol.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

I think if you can't wrap your head around what 'resolves" and "stack" that maybe Magic just isn't the game for you.

But "programming terminology" in my wizard poker fantasy ruins my immersion :(.

I'm going to push my cryptic command oh no null pointer exception.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

"This just isn't for you" - a really good thing for a publicly traded company to tell potential customers lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

Nagle hates dredge which makes me dread him returning to set leads. I hope he gets therapy for his grave trolling. He really shouldn't burn his bridges with graveyard creatures, I hope he comes to some kind of breakthrough with that angle of design.

Um that said what the gently caress wizards the problem with your coverage was definitely that there was too much of it?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/magic-tournament-video-coverage-2016-2015-12-08

oh maybe it's not all awful news:

I more excited about who they will be dropping more than who they will be adding. Brian David Marshall and Randy Buehler just need to stop.

little munchkin posted:

"This just isn't for you" - a really good thing for a publicly traded company to tell potential customers lol

Making your game worse to cater to these people is also not a great move.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Randy's great though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Randy's great though.

Except he isn't.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sickening posted:

Finding the most understandable wording for the reminder text for an ability is not "making your game worse"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

I more excited about who they will be dropping more than who they will be adding. Rich Hagon just needs to stop.

I had a similar discussion on Tumblr last night.

Ideally, we'd get Feline Longmore and LSV commentating telling stories.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

EDIT: What the hell, do I double-click Submit or something? Second time I double post in two days.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sickening posted:

The literal difference being talked about here is the phrasing of some reminder text.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I started playing Magic when I was like 7 or 8. I did not play all that much and had no idea how a lot of the game worked, I just knew the untap upkeep draw play most spells during main phase attack play instants/interrupts whenever(I didn't really know the difference between the two, just that interrupts were faster in some way), but I still enjoyed playing. High school was the first time I saw anyone do things with the stack more complicated than "play spells"(I didn't know the stack existed); a friend of mine was doing some sort of shenanigans with Pemmin's Aura and I didn't think they were allowed the first time he did it.

but okay I guess magic just wasn't the game for me

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sickening posted:

I more excited about who they will be dropping more than who they will be adding. Brian David Marshall and Randy Buehler just need to stop.

I feel like at this point, their first qualification should be "can you identify this card that is commonly played in the format you are commentating on?" It's one thing when people aren't up to speed on every nuance of a format, it's another when they literally don't know what cards do. I can think of at least 3 people that they can drop based on this alone.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I genuinely have no idea how you could word Split Second without using either "stack" or "resolves" without it being a brick of text

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

stinkles1112 posted:

I genuinely have no idea how you could word Split Second without using either "stack" or "resolves" without it being a brick of text

"Players can't respond to this spell by casting spells or activating abilities"

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Elyv posted:

but okay I guess magic just wasn't the game for me

I mean, it literally wasn't, in that you were playing a slightly different game where some of the rules didn't apply. That's how a lot of casual Magic happens and I don't think the wording of Split Second is going to have much of an effect on that kind of player one way or another. Of course, it's always good to make things as easy to understand as possible, so people who decide to start playing "real" Magic have less of a gap to close and people who play at stores cause judges fewer headaches.

Dr. Stab posted:

This is what I came up with too. There's a few instances of this wording in the comp rules (specifically, "players can’t respond to it with instants or activated abilities."), it's fairly clear and it doesn't mention the stack.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
edit: the forums keep doing some weird poo poo that's making me double post

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

I'd start watching more GPs if they covered them like these Yu-Gi-Oh matches.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

that's an exhibition match tho

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

that's an exhibition match tho

Just force all on-camera players attempt to call their own action like this. :v:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Just force all on-camera players attempt to call their own action like this. :v:

I don't really think I want to hear most feature match players.

For those matches they get the voice actors for the english dub tho. Like Dan Green shows up to a lot of them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

But "programming terminology" in my wizard poker fantasy ruins my immersion :(.

I'm going to push my cryptic command oh no null pointer exception.

Null Pointer sounds like a sweet counterspell name

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Holy hell yes, I'd watch any Magic stream like this to no end.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dr. Stab posted:

What if it's a permanent? Can you cast spells or activate abilities once it's resolved in play on the battlefield? :goonsay:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

What if it's a permanent? Can you cast spells or activate abilities once it's resolved in play on the battlefield? :goonsay:

"can't respond to this card being played"

Edit:thanks autocorrect

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I actually prefer the "until this resolves" wording rather than that one, because you could end up with the interpretation where, say, if an ability triggers from you casting the spell, then players could "respond to" that ability.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah if referencing the stack is too complicated, you certainly can't use the word "respond" which doesn't even have actual rules meaning

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Honestly no one should play Magic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

whydirt posted:

This is a good point. Hearthstone is a better game since it doesn't bother with that pesky stack.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

No one should play Magic honestly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah if referencing the stack is too complicated, you certainly can't use the word "respond" which doesn't even have actual rules meaning

Reminder text doesn't have to hold to rules meaning.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
And people have a conception of what it means to respond to things even if they don't know that there exists a stack and when a player casts a spell it is put on the stack, after which there is a round of priority during which players can add additional objects to the stack.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

They should just abandon this horseshit nonsense that stuff can't reference the stack

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Someone, I think it was BJPaskoff, mentioned how Split Second's name is misleading.

Because evocative names are really important. Double Strike is much easier to grasp because it says "double" on it. That means it strikes twice, and the reminder text is just the technicalities of that. The name alone tells you the big upside, hitting twice. Flying is much the same way. Why can't Goblin PIker block Skyhunter Skirmisher, but Storm Crow can block? It's because Skimrisher just flies over the dumb piker.

I guess what they were trying to do with Split Second is "this happens so suddenly no one can do anything about it."

But the rules of Magic just don't support things instantly happening, and the flavor just isn't there. Two cards have sudden in their name and that's about it. Why is Celestial Crusader happening instantaneously? How is Krosan Grip any faster-happening than any other Naturalize-kin?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I guess what they were trying to do with Split Second is "this happens so suddenly no one can do anything about it."

But the rules of Magic just don't support things instantly happening, and the flavor just isn't there. Two cards have sudden in their name and that's about it. Why is Celestial Crusader happening instantaneously? How is Krosan Grip any faster-happening than any other Naturalize-kin?

You're looking at it the wrong way. Split second means time is literally split. As in, in another timeline, this happened, and now you're using magic to manifest that reality.

That's why the art shows two versions of the same thing. For creatures, it means they've been there all along, and you just didn't notice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zoness posted:

You're looking at it the wrong way. Split second means time is literally split. As in, in another timeline, this happened, and now you're using magic to manifest that reality.

That's why the art shows two versions of the same thing. For creatures, it means they've been there all along, and you just didn't notice.

Seems so. It's just like un-morphing something. You can't respond to the unmorphing, only effects triggered from the unmorphing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Someone, I think it was BJPaskoff, mentioned how Split Second's name is misleading.

Because evocative names are really important. Double Strike is much easier to grasp because it says "double" on it. That means it strikes twice, and the reminder text is just the technicalities of that. The name alone tells you the big upside, hitting twice. Flying is much the same way. Why can't Goblin PIker block Skyhunter Skirmisher, but Storm Crow can block? It's because Skimrisher just flies over the dumb piker.

Well there are at least 3 I can think of offhand (Sudden Death, Sudden Shock, Sudden Spoiling). More than that though, I think their idea was to separate it with the art, all the split second cards have this lightning bolt thing down the center and I think the idea is a before/after thing or something. The flavor is shot though, yeah, especially since triggered abilities still happen and so forth.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Reminder text doesn't have to hold to rules meaning.

Speaking of convoke reminder text, they're gonna have to re-do it again now that generic mana is different than colorless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

End of Life Guy posted:

Speaking of convoke reminder text, they're gonna have to re-do it again now that generic mana is different than colorless.

No, it still works exactly as is.

• Locked thread