Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the person you responded to unironically likes tolkien, make of this what you will

hrm

nope

IMO tolkien is the ultimate source of a lot of why western nerd poo poo is terrible (anime is terrible for other, unrelated reasons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

anyway i for one am thoroughly confused as to why a USA that turned ultra-fascist might have stopped experiencing cultural progress

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The entire aesthetic is basically a reference to the Red Scare and to the media assosciated with it, most prominently the famous Duck and Cover propaganda film. It's more about adding a sense of whimsy to a bleak topic and to avoid coming up with 'plausible' political scenarios that led to the great war and the collapse of civilization. It's just kinda funny, looking at what people feared in 50s and knowing how wrong they were.

I mean, the games do have this nihilistic myopic view of humanity kinda written into them with the whole 'war never changes' thing, but the 50s aesthetic is not particularly relevant in that aspect, the whole moral of the story is actually that the 'when and how' don't really matter.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

why do people keep responding to "the setting is unfunny, uninteresting and irritating" with a bunch of autistic wiki-vomit justifying the canon in-universe reason for things being that way? that's not actually a refutation of the first statement

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's just kinda funny, looking at what people feared in 50s and knowing how wrong they were.

no, it's not

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In general the Fallout world stagnated culturally and never got over the 50s. You are free to imagine small pockets of hippies or punks existing and doing their thing but they would probably have been forcibly re-educated by the loving hand of the state.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

backstory stuff on a wiki means absolutely, literally nothing. i could say that a paper bag of dogshit was actually worth a billion dollars on a wiki but that wouldn't make it true. you can't logic your way out of the game being bad, a detailed, rational explanation of why the game is bad doesn't actually change the fact that the game is bad

The original reason for the perma-'50s aesthetic is that the first Fallout game wanted to take the aesthetic of the 1950s-era "life in the FUTURE!" media into the post-apocalypse. That aesthetic was lessened in Fallout 2 (along with a few other things that are somehow considered inextricable from Fallout, like bottlecaps as currency), but when Bethesda was making Fallout 3 they identified it as a central pillar of Fallout, so now it is. They also took it too literally and missed any chance at subtle satire.

Why Fallout: New Vegas has caps as currency I don't really know, but at least it took a different 1950s-60s era pop culture approach (classic Westerns outside the Strip, old Vegas glamour inside).

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

icantfindaname posted:

hrm

nope

IMO tolkien is the ultimate source of a lot of why western nerd poo poo is terrible (anime is terrible for other, unrelated reasons)

Oh so you just dislike things, that's cool.

Back to the thread: What are peoples opinions on how soon Bethesda is going to announce DLC stuff? Personally, I'm betting on details being announced whenever they release the G.E.C.K.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NecroMonster posted:

anyway i for one am thoroughly confused as to why a USA that turned ultra-fascist might have stopped experiencing cultural progress
no you don't get it it's all entirely based on stupid poo poo nerds like, ugh *smokes e-cigs* *drinks $20 coffee cup*

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Harrow posted:

Why Fallout: New Vegas has caps as currency I don't really know, but at least it took a different 1950s-60s era pop culture approach (classic Westerns outside the Strip, old Vegas glamour inside).

New Vegas had multiple currencies with both legion and NCR denominations represented and exchangeable into caps. The reason it had caps as a currency was likely a touch of familiarity as a gameplay system and being that the new vegas area was a hotly contested frontier zone it made sense for the natives to use and rely on the "gold standard" of sorts.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I've seen a few "icantfindaname" posts in my time and I've gotta say they all suck.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NecroMonster posted:

I've seen a few "icantfindaname" posts in my time and I've gotta say they all suck.
:agreed:

Shaquin posted:

New Vegas had multiple currencies with both legion and NCR denominations represented and exchangeable into caps. The reason it had caps as a currency was likely a touch of familiarity as a gameplay system and being that the new vegas area was a hotly contested frontier zone it made sense for the natives to use and rely on the "gold standard" of sorts.
i would have liked it if the game didn't just give you caps by default and took from the pool of the NPC's "barter value" and there were scripts for doing so in place but they just weren't able to for some reason (given the tight schedule and having to wrangle this stupid loving engine to get what they wanted)

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Harrow posted:

IIRC, it's because the Brotherhood blew up their gold reserves and the NCR went "Oh gently caress poo poo poo poo poo poo our money is worthless" and people went back to using the old standard currency since a lot of merchants/trader co.'s still accepted it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shaquin posted:

Yeah, I remembered being able to exchange NCR money, but I must have missed why caps had value there. But that and HnK416's post make sense and I probably knew all of this at some point. Been too long since I've played NV.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Harrow posted:

NCR and the Legion had their own currencies, but I think caps and bartering remained in use, especially on the frontier like where NV is set.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

wow. rude

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

icantfindaname posted:

why do people keep responding to "the setting is unfunny, uninteresting and irritating" with a bunch of autistic wiki-vomit justifying the canon in-universe reason for things being that way? that's not actually a refutation of the first statement

no, it's not

How's this: It's what they chose for the game, quit crying about it. Hope that helps.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Just copy and post the setting summary from a boy and his dog since fallout copied and pasted a bunch of other things (like a dog being named dogmeat).

The novella and the film adaptation have the same alternate timeline setting, diverging with the failed assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Instead of concentrating on the Space Race, technological advancements in robotics, animal intelligence, and telepathy take place. A more heated Cold War takes place, culminating in a conventional World War III. A truce is signed, lasting another 25 years, though mounting tensions lead to a second outbreak of hostilities in 2007, this time involving massive nuclear warfare. Civilization is almost entirely obliterated, leaving the surface of the Earth reduced to a desolate, irradiated wasteland.

Years later, in 2024, foragers who remain above ground must fight for the remaining resources. Most survivors in the former United States are male, as females were usually in the bombed cities, while many men were out, fighting in the war. In the novella, nuclear fallout had created horrific mutations, such as the feared burnpit screamers, known for their noise and deadliness

At a movie house, Blood claims to smell a woman, and the pair track her to an abandoned YMCA building. There, they meet Quilla June Holmes, a teenage girl from "Downunder," a society located in a large underground vault. Before Vic can rape her, Blood informs the pair that a "roverpak" (a gang) has tracked them to the building and they have to fight them off. After killing a number of them, the trio hides in a boiler and set the structure on fire. Vic finally has sex with Quilla, and though she protests at first, she begins to come on to him. Blood takes an instant disliking to her, but Vic ignores him. Vic and Quilla have sex repeatedly, but eventually, Quilla attacks him and takes off to return to her underground community. Vic, furious at her deception, follows her, despite Blood's warnings. Blood remains at the portal on the surface.

Downunder has an artificial biosphere, complete with forests and underground cities, one of which, named Topeka, after the ruins of the city it lies beneath, is fashioned in a surreal mockery of 1950s rural innocence. Vic is captured by the ruling council (the Better Business Bureau). They confess that Quilla was sent to the surface to lure a man downunder. The population of Topeka is becoming sterile, and the babies that are born are usually female. They feel that Vic, despite his crudeness and savage behavior, will be able to reinvigorate that male population. Vic is first elated to learn that he is to impregnate the female population, but this initial enthusiasm quickly turns to horror.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

:agreed:

i would have liked it if the game didn't just give you caps by default and took from the pool of the NPC's "barter value" and there were scripts for doing so in place but they just weren't able to for some reason (given the tight schedule and having to wrangle this stupid loving engine to get what they wanted)

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is likely what they wanted to do, but was low enough priority and difficult enough to actually implement that they just went "gently caress it, we'll just stick with caps". I think the idea of "barter value" makes a lot more sense in a postapocalyptic setting, where currency might exist but there's no real universal standard. In the goon made roguelike Caves of Qud, the currency is fresh water, but since water is heavy and requires flasks to carry it, you're usually better off carrying other stuff and bartering with that instead, using its value in water to judge the overall trade, and just giving up the difference if you can't make an exact trade.

Hell this is basically how I play the game anyway - I rarely just buy poo poo with caps. I tend to trade a bunch of crap I've picked up for a roughly equal value in ammo/parts/whatever. This is probably why I've got like 10k caps on me even after building all the tier 3 shops in Sanctuary and buying the house in Diamond City. And I don't even have the cap finder perk.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Zephyrine posted:

The main issue being that the amount of money required to make fallout 1 or 2 would these days not even pay for a mid sized quest line due to all the animators. Vouce actors, motion capture studio work. As games cost more. There's a alot less room for optional content.

See bioware games as an example where you can even wipe out the whole council in ME1 only to have it be replaced by another council with the same races, genders, voices and dialogue.

Gravy Jones posted:

I wonder how much of that is down to the economic realities of creating games of this scale. I suspect that the vast majority of people who buy this game will buy it with no intention whatsoever of playing through it more than once and for many of those people having any kind of gated content (by choice or stats or whatever) that requires multiple playthroughs to experience is a negative rather than a positive. I can see how this kind of sucks for those who want something different out of the game, something you articulated pretty well.

I'll only ever do a single playthrough. I like these games for the environment and environmentally storytelling and treat the world more like a snapsot of a time and place that I can explore and interact with rather than a narrative. Quests are little set-pieces and vignettes that I experience and enjoy and it's not a negative (for me) that have no real impact on the state of the world and I have limited agency with regards to how to proceed. I've played (and enjoyed) other Fallout and Elder Scrolls games in the same way so I guess I don't really even notice any changes that limit the appeal of multiple playthroughs.

I guess the best of both worlds aspect of it is that if the game isn't catering for that kind of audience... modders will be and they've been given a very big and detailed world to play with.

Yes, these are all true and ties to my earlier comment about how 'Full Voice Acting' worked to the detriment of Bethesda games from a creative and artistic point of view at least. I do not deny that the studio's games have been a tremendous financial success certainly also due to the fact that they labored at making their games more accessible.

Yet for an old nostalgic nerd like myself this is a rather sad process, also in part exactly because a dozen nerds in the 90s could provide fresh and exciting experiences using limited means while now the more refined commercial nature of games necessitates different priorities, but hey I think it's fine to complain and draw parallels. With F4 it's really hard not to draw these comparisons as it really is more about plastering the F1/F2 aesthetic and world over a Skyrim clone and calling it a day.

icantfindaname posted:

no, it's not

The first fallouts were interesting and the aesthetic was largely a very minor part of it, making the pre-war junk more modern looking wouldn't have made any difference in that regard. On top of all of that the games have hardly ever dealt with anything that might have happened outside of North America cause it really wasn't the point. The Duck and Cover poo poo was only meant as a whimsical introduction to a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland, that's about it.

However, I do think that the F4 setting, wherein 200 years after the war you still only see poo poo with that 50s aesthetic like the world has been in stasis past the war does feel played out, but this is actually exactly because the in-game world is uninteresting, the retro poo poo isn't the problem the problem is that everything else lacks inspiration. Really the state of 'rebuilding' in F1 and F2 is noticeably different, F2 already has the nascent NCR and considerable cities and settlements while F1 really has nothing but ghoul cities and massive shanty towns (if that), F3 and F4 basically rehash the F2 setting, which wouldn't have been as big of a problem had they just picked different parts of the world (or even the states) and made the events of those games concurrent to those of F2, it's not like anyone truly gives a poo poo about the doings of the Brotherhood since their triumph in F2 or anything like that.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

NecroMonster posted:

That's a little harsh. The one asking for help with supply lines wasn't so bad. The trolling is a little needy and could do with some work though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Just copy and post the setting summary from a boy and his dog since fallout copied and pasted a bunch of other things (like a dog being named dogmeat).

The novella and the film adaptation have the same alternate timeline setting, diverging with the failed assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Instead of concentrating on the Space Race, technological advancements in robotics, animal intelligence, and telepathy take place. A more heated Cold War takes place, culminating in a conventional World War III. A truce is signed, lasting another 25 years, though mounting tensions lead to a second outbreak of hostilities in 2007, this time involving massive nuclear warfare. Civilization is almost entirely obliterated, leaving the surface of the Earth reduced to a desolate, irradiated wasteland.

Years later, in 2024, foragers who remain above ground must fight for the remaining resources. Most survivors in the former United States are male, as females were usually in the bombed cities, while many men were out, fighting in the war. In the novella, nuclear fallout had created horrific mutations, such as the feared burnpit screamers, known for their noise and deadliness

At a movie house, Blood claims to smell a woman, and the pair track her to an abandoned YMCA building. There, they meet Quilla June Holmes, a teenage girl from "Downunder," a society located in a large underground vault. Before Vic can rape her, Blood informs the pair that a "roverpak" (a gang) has tracked them to the building and they have to fight them off. After killing a number of them, the trio hides in a boiler and set the structure on fire. Vic finally has sex with Quilla, and though she protests at first, she begins to come on to him. Blood takes an instant disliking to her, but Vic ignores him. Vic and Quilla have sex repeatedly, but eventually, Quilla attacks him and takes off to return to her underground community. Vic, furious at her deception, follows her, despite Blood's warnings. Blood remains at the portal on the surface.

Downunder has an artificial biosphere, complete with forests and underground cities, one of which, named Topeka, after the ruins of the city it lies beneath, is fashioned in a surreal mockery of 1950s rural innocence. Vic is captured by the ruling council (the Better Business Bureau). They confess that Quilla was sent to the surface to lure a man downunder. The population of Topeka is becoming sterile, and the babies that are born are usually female. They feel that Vic, despite his crudeness and savage behavior, will be able to reinvigorate that male population. Vic is first elated to learn that he is to impregnate the female population, but this initial enthusiasm quickly turns to horror.

This novella is amazing, too, everyone should read it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The first fallouts were interesting and the aesthetic was largely a very minor part of it, making the pre-war junk more modern looking wouldn't have made any difference in that regard. On top of all of that the games have hardly ever dealt with anything that might have happened outside of North America cause it really wasn't the point. The Duck and Cover poo poo was only meant as a whimsical introduction to a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland, that's about it.

However, I do think that the F4 setting, wherein 200 years after the war you still only see poo poo with that 50s aesthetic like the world has been in stasis past the war does feel played out, but this is actually exactly because the in-game world is uninteresting, the retro poo poo isn't the problem the problem is that everything else lacks inspiration. Really the state of 'rebuilding' in F1 and F2 is noticeably different, F2 already has the nascent NCR and considerable cities and settlements while F1 really has nothing but ghoul cities and massive shanty towns (if that), F3 and F4 basically rehash the F2 setting, which wouldn't have been as big of a problem had they just picked different parts of the world (or even the states) and made the events of those games concurrent to those of F2, it's not like anyone truly gives a poo poo about the doings of the Brotherhood since their triumph in F2 or anything like that.

The thing is, fallout didn't make up this setting or aesthetic, there are dozens and hundreds of movies set in the post apocolyptic wasteland, they all basically follow some rules, including the rule that they have a bunch of 1950s stuff around because the vast vast majority of it was written in or around the 1950s. If fallout deviated too far from that sort of stuff it's really kinda a different series at that point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Johnny Truant posted:

This novella is amazing, too, everyone should read it.

The movie is good too but the last line is the worst thing to ever happen in a film and the whole movie is a dad joke.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yet for an old nostalgic nerd like myself this is a rather sad process, also in part exactly because a dozen nerds in the 90s could provide fresh and exciting experiences using limited means while now the more refined commercial nature of games necessitates different priorities, but hey I think it's fine to complain and draw parallels. With F4 it's really hard not to draw these comparisons as it really is more about plastering the F1/F2 aesthetic and world over a Skyrim clone and calling it a day.

That may be the nostalgia talking. Fallout 1 & 2 were big budget games with relatively large teams/studios behind them. And an argument could be made that there has never been a better time than now for small (or even singular) teams with limited means to provide fresh and exciting experiences. There's certainly more choice. I enjoyed them both when they were released (although not as much as Wasteland) and if you're looking for similar experiences there's a lot out there (because you are far from being alone). I occasionally try and get back into those style of games, but they just don't do it for me any more.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 8, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gravy Jones posted:

That's a little harsh. The one asking for help with supply lines wasn't so bad. The trolling is a little needy and could do with some work though.

99% of every single thing he's posted in this, the Fallout 4 thread, has been "Fallout the Entire Franchise sucks, let me rant about how much I hate it and everything and also myself something something liberals Obummer".

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The movie is good too but the last line is the worst thing to ever happen in a film and the whole movie is a dad joke.

Have to agree to disagree there, I thought the movie was :nexus:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I would legit opt for this.

I was just talking to a friend of mine, and I really wish that for FO5 they would ditch the entire concept of a "main quest" and just populate the game with all sorts of "Silver Shroud" type sidequests, letting you roll your own story or combination of stories. Maybe each little sidequest branch could have its own " game ending" if you chose it, or you could keep adventuring. FO4's side quests are significantly more compelling than the main narrative.

Fallout: Raider

Born as a raider. Enjoy the wastelands. The end.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gravy Jones posted:

That may be the nostalgia talking. Fallout 1 & 2 were big budget games with relatively large teams/studios behind them. And an argument could be made that there has never been a better time for small (or even singular) teams with limited means to provide fresh and exciting experiences.

It's fun to look at the voice cast of fallout 1 and see how many big name actors they hired to voice totally nothing random side characters.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think you mean the last line is the best thing to ever happen in a film and the whole movie is a dad joke!!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Digital Osmosis posted:

I think you mean the last line is the best thing to ever happen in a film and the whole movie is a dad joke!!

It's really bad.

quote from the author of the book "moronic, hateful chauvinist last line, which I despise." and "the last line, for instance, which I think is terribly sexist and yet is beloved by fraternity boys."

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 8, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So I'm starting that early Institute mission (where you meet the courser to go after that synth that turned into a raider) buuuuut as soon as I get near the courser I'm supposta meet there's a Brotherhood vertibird shooting the gently caress out of everything that moves.

The courser isn't dead yet. I'll see how this plays out. Doesn't hurt that I'm getting a stream of free XP from the Brotherhood killing poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Friar Zucchini posted:

So I'm starting that early Institute mission (where you meet the courser to go after that synth that turned into a raider) buuuuut as soon as I get near the courser I'm supposta meet there's a Brotherhood vertibird shooting the gently caress out of everything that moves.

The courser isn't dead yet. I'll see how this plays out. Doesn't hurt that I'm getting a stream of free XP from the Brotherhood killing poo poo.

He's essential. Same thing happened to me. What seemed to work best is to wander a fair ways off and he'll eventually sprint over to you before he gets noticed and ko'd again. After you manage to get through his dialogue you don't need to care what he does and he'll just magically port to you when you zone in to the next part of the quest area.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

glug posted:

Fallout: Raider

Born as a raider. Enjoy the wastelands. The end.

Yeah, but the 4 dialogue options for everyone you meet is the same old boring

1. Rape them to death
2. Eat their flesh
3. Sew their skin onto your clothing
4. SHAUN

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's fun to look at the voice cast of fallout 1 and see how many big name actors they hired to voice totally nothing random side characters.

Fallout 4 possibly has the least star-studded voice cast of all the main Fallout titles. Either that or 2. It's a big change in direction from the how all-out they went in 3 and New Vegas (and Morrowind and Skyrim for that matter).

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Azhais posted:

He's essential. Same thing happened to me. What seemed to work best is to wander a fair ways off and he'll eventually sprint over to you before he gets noticed and ko'd again. After you manage to get through his dialogue you don't need to care what he does and he'll just magically port to you when you zone in to the next part of the quest area.
He's OK. The raiders were kind enough to feed the vertibird a Fat Man. I got too distracted killing raiders to find out what happened to the couple BoS on the ground, my guess is they couldn't find my guy after a bit and figured their work was done. Quest proceeds as normal, but I'm not too attached to it cause I plan to go for the BoS ending anyway.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

99% of every single thing he's posted in this, the Fallout 4 thread, has been "Fallout the Entire Franchise sucks, let me rant about how much I hate it and everything and also myself something something liberals Obummer".

this is actually how he posts in every subforum and thread. every drat post he makes.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Gravy Jones posted:

Fallout 4 possibly has the least star-studded voice cast of all the main Fallout titles. Either that or 2. It's a big change in direction from the how all-out they went in 3 and New Vegas (and Morrowind and Skyrim for that matter).

Yea but they managed to shove Stephen Russell in wherever they could and IMO that makes up for any and all voice acting quibbles. This is a rule that applies to any game featuring that man.

Garret, sing me to bed with soft songs :allears:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

HnK416 posted:

Yea but they managed to shove Stephen Russell in wherever they could and IMO that makes up for any and all voice acting quibbles. This is a rule that applies to any game featuring that man.

Garret, sing me to bed with soft songs :allears:

He's my favourite "sounds like James Woods" guy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's really bad.

quote from the author of the book "moronic, hateful chauvinist last line, which I despise." and "the last line, for instance, which I think is terribly sexist and yet is beloved by fraternity boys."

The line is funny. The author's perspective is weird, objecting to it being "hateful" implies we're meant to sympathise with the protagonist, a person whose reaction upon finding a mutilated woman was "aw, she's too messed up for me to rape her :("

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It kind of feels like the modern games cover a spectrum of how hard the place got nuked, from 3 where DC was mostly rubble and the handful of settlements felt tiny and tenuous, to 4 where the city got hit decently hard and the settlements are small but the world between them feels a little more lively with farms and traders, to NV where Vegas never got hit and is starting to interact with larger powers from places that have come farther in rebuilding (places from 2) than the Commonwealth has yet. With the settlements in 4 you're basically building the world up from a level barely better than 3 into a situation more like a region that would be in 2 or NV.

• Locked thread