Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My fiancée had to work today, so as a project, I pulled a pork.

Never done it before, I asked a couple questions in the General Questions thread. I don't cook a lot of pork in general, but I love pulled pork. This was a bone-in Boston butt, a little over 7 pounds, and yielded a scant 12 cups of meat. I portioned it off into 2-cup portions (meals for two) in Tupperwares and froze half of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Looks pretty good! Do you sauce, or do you like your pork straight up?

I'm fond of spreading the shreds out and broiling them until all the tips are black and crispy, tossing it with a little south carolina style mustard sauce, preferably eating it with cornbread

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Brawnfire posted:

Looks pretty good! Do you sauce, or do you like your pork straight up?

I'm fond of spreading the shreds out and broiling them until all the tips are black and crispy, tossing it with a little south carolina style mustard sauce, preferably eating it with cornbread

Thanks! I will be saucing a lot of it, but I've just stored it unsauced for versatility. That way I can put it in other stuff instead if I want to, like tacos or whatever.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thanksgiving dinner, which was way overkill as it was just me and my wife. The long casserole dish is broccoli casserole (the low-rent version I grew up with and still love), we did rutabaga in lieu of mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (both homemade and the jellied kind, for which I maintain a fondness), pearl onions, bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, fresh baked bread, and turkey. All in all it was a great success, we timed everything pretty much perfectly, and had a shitload of leftovers to work through so we froze a bunch. Fat and happy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ribeye steak
Red tater + onion + bell pepper
Chimichurri

I started off making the drizzle look nice but then it... plopped.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Ribeye steak
Red tater + onion + bell pepper
Chimichurri

I started off making the drizzle look nice but then it... plopped.

Why is it so....green? Mine always looks like pesto.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Why is it so....green? Mine always looks like pesto.

I think it may have had a bit of air in it, I had some the next day and it was a lot darker, like pesto.

I didn't have my good food processor, I was using a kinda bullshit one and took a while to get it all a consistent texture.

However, it was kind of awesome, so everything turned out.

VelociBacon posted:

Another ribeye. Potatoes tossed in garlic butter and diced rosemary/lemongrass. Cast iron supremacy!

HELL YEAH, BRUHH

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 30, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Another ribeye. Potatoes tossed in garlic butter and diced rosemary/lemongrass. Cast iron supremacy!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It's cold and rainy and windy in the Netherlands and after biking around in that mess it feels so good to eat some snert:

Cooked in the traditional manner, with pork shoulder, celery root and leaves, carrots, leek, onions, potatoes, a bay leaf, smoked sausage (rookworst), and some salt and pepper. Thick enough for the spoon to stand in. Some rye bread, mustard, and smoked ham on the side. Everything in goblets. Simple but so good.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it's mostly split peas.

twoday fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 30, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

VelociBacon posted:

^^^niiice, I would've liked the potatoes with my meat as well

because we had some sort of gnocchi concoction (baked gnocchi, pork, assorted mushrooms, grated cheese, basil)....great, but we decided potatoes are greaterestestest.
Oh, we also had a gigantic and lovely piece of entrecote (I'm not much of a meat-eater, so I had a small portion, pictured in the picture)

twoday posted:

It's cold and rainy and windy in the Netherlands and after biking around in that mess it feels so good to eat some snert:

Cooked in the traditional manner, with pork shoulder, celery root and leaves, carrots, leek, onions, potatoes, a bay leaf, smoked sausage (rookworst), and some salt and pepper. Thick enough for the spoon to stand in. Some rye bread, mustard, and smoked ham on the side. Everything in goblets. Simple but so good.
laughing about the spoon, so true!
other than that:
yummmm!!!
(btw, excellent beer choice, sir)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 30, 2015

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

twoday posted:

As I sit here with my meager peanut butter toast and tea for lunch because I'm broke, I'm imagining eating this photo instead. Good Vishnu that looks so yummy on this cold and rainy day.

twoday
May 4, 2005

paraquat posted:

^^^niiice, I would've liked the potatoes with my meat as well

because we had some sort of gnocchi concoction (baked gnocchi, pork, assorted mushrooms, grated cheese, basil)....great, but we decided potatoes are greaterestestest.
Oh, we also had a gigantic and lovely piece of entrecote (I'm not much of a meat-eater, so I had a small portion, pictured in the picture)

laughing about the spoon, so true!
other than that:
yummmm!!!
That steak looks perfect, how'd you cook it?

It's a Frisian saying, I think. "It's not true snert unless the spoon is standing."

psychokitty posted:

As I sit here with my meager peanut butter toast and tea for lunch because I'm broke, I'm imagining eating this photo instead. Good Vishnu that looks so yummy on this cold and rainy day.

The peas have some crazy insulative properties that keep the whole thing piping hot the whole time it's in front of you. Tiny spoonful, blow on it for 30 seconds, repeat.

twoday fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 30, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

twoday posted:

That steak looks perfect, how'd you cook it?

It's a Frisian saying, I think. "It's not true snert unless the spoon is standing."

The meat didn't see the fridge for half a day, and was liberally salted and peppered. Then a searing hot pan, loads of butter and oil (at least half an inch when molten), limited baking time and giving it long enough of a rest (also, the meat was two thumbs thick at least, that helped a lot....buying at the market where you can tell the butcher what you want beats buying prepackaged meat at AH. It keeps surprising me that the prices are the same, I just need to find the time to go to the market).

And yes, I didn't know it was a Frisian saying, but I DO know the spoon needs to stand up straight! :-D

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 30, 2015

twoday
May 4, 2005

haha ik wist niet dat je nederlands was. Inderdaad. Misschien is het fries, maar misschien denk ik over Sneek en Snits, en niet snert.

Having a good butcher is great, if you can. In Amsterdam most butchers are Muslim, and so I usually go to the Polish grocery store if I want very specific cuts of pork. But the lamb game is good, and I like to buy a solid leg when I have 10+ people to feed. It costs about the same, by weight, as chicken in the grocery store. The beef is around the same, which is crazy, but you really have to get to know the butchers and their suppliers, and who has steak-grade beef and who has something that needs to stew for hours. Horse is always a safe bet, because few people sell it and the one who do appreciate it, and get good horsemeat. But then again, I've never had bad horse meat.

Sorry for Dutching up the thread. Here is a horse salad I made a while back:

twoday fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 30, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

twoday posted:

haha ik wist niet dat je nederlands was. Inderdaad. Misschien is het fries, maar misschien denk ik over Sneek en Snits, en niet snert.

Having a good butcher is great, if you can. In Amsterdam most butchers are Muslim, and so I usually go to the Polish grocery store if I want very specific cuts of pork. But the lamb game is good, and I like to buy a solid leg when I have 10+ people to feed. It costs about the same, by weight, as chicken in the grocery store. The beef is around the same, which is crazy, but you really have to get to know the butchers and their suppliers, and who has steak-grade beef and who has something that needs to stew for hours. Horse is always a safe bet, because few people sell it and the one who do appreciate it, and get good horsemeat. But then again, I've never had bad horse meat.

That looks great!! And even though the butchers around me are predominanly Muslim as well and I have the greatest old horsemeat butcher around the corner, I do not live in Amsterdam (Utrecht here! ;-)).
The entrecote in the picture above was bought because it looked so great. We actually decided to go and get some nice horsemeat earlier that day (somehow we rarely do, I guess it's because i don't walk past the store on a daily basis or something), but the market came first.

The halal butchers are another story...excellent lamb indeed, but their cow-cuts are somehow way different from the usual Dutch stuff. I like the stew meat, as it takes less time and is a lot softer/tastier usually (although it falls apart completely). Oh, and goat, I should get some of that again when I have the time for a long stew.

Anyway...snert, thanks for the reminder, it's about time I make some of that myself!

twoday
May 4, 2005

paraquat posted:

That looks great!! And even though the butchers around me are predominanly Muslim as well and I have the greatest old horsemeat butcher around the corner, I do not live in Amsterdam (Utrecht here! ;-)).
Lombok, I see. That place is great because it's pretty much the only butcher in the country (as far as I know) that sells ONLY horsemeat. Horse stew, horse sausage, horse goulash meat. If I remember correctly the owner is morbidly obese. I used to live in Utrecht too. I remember going to a butcher in that area, and the only staff there at the time was a 12 year old kid. I asked him for a kilo of beef, and he chopped off a piece with a cleaver and weighed it and it came out to exactly 1000 grams. He was hopping around gleefully, looking like he was about to piss himself.

Here in Amsterdam there was a funny legal case recently. The police got a tip and raided a butcher in Osdorp, and found 900 grams of hash and bullets in the back. They arrested him for being a dealer, and his defense was that it was all for personal consumption because he smokes ~14 joints a day while working. I guess it's technically legal to be high as gently caress at work if you're your own boss? But also not super clever to tell authorities that you usually handle giant knives and bonesaws while totally stoned. Anyway, a few days later the shop burnt down.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I think it may have had a bit of air in it, I had some the next day and it was a lot darker, like pesto.

I didn't have my good food processor, I was using a kinda bullshit one and took a while to get it all a consistent texture.

However, it was kind of awesome, so everything turned out.

HELL YEAH, BRUHH

Cool, just making sure you did not add something like cream to it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Cool, just making sure you did not add something like cream to it.

Sour cream chimichurri?

twoday posted:

Horse always looks really delicious to me, although is it always prepared incredibly rare like that, or can you get it more cooked?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Brawnfire posted:

Horse always looks really delicious to me, although is it always prepared incredibly rare like that, or can you get it more cooked?

nay

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hay, a denial right out of the gate, that sucks; it was my mane uncertainty about hoofing it over the butcher to see if I could wrangle some.

I'm still on track to try it, I just need to stop stallion.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Brawnfire posted:

Hay, a denial right out of the gate, that sucks; it was my mane uncertainty about hoofing it over the butcher to see if I could wrangle some.

I'm still on track to try it, I just need to stop stallion.

... good god, stop horsing around. You'd think it would be a massive hurdle to get some.

Anyway, for myself tonight:

Venison sausage, pan-fried potato with garlic and paprika seasoning, broccoli, green beans, and a mustard and Laphroig sauce.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Anytime I have had deep-dish pizza on Calgary it has been a disgusting grease-brick with cardboard crust, so I made my own.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Olpainless posted:

... good god, stop horsing around. You'd think it would be a massive hurdle to get some.

Venison sausage, pan-fried potato with garlic and paprika seasoning, broccoli, green beans, and a mustard and Laphroig sauce.

Thank God my phone is waterproof since I just drooled on the screen

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Happy thanksgiving, goon chefs!

How much do those grill presses weigh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Steve Yun posted:

Why, you wanna know if you can do kettlebell exercises with em?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Somewhere around five pounds apiece. I can give you more exact weights later when I have access to my scale, but they're a hearty chunk of cast iron.

I actually have a huge craving to buy more and different shapes of them, and have to fight it daily. They're incredible in use:cost ratio

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Olpainless posted:

Oh man, that looks amazing. How did the sauce turn out? I'd never dare to use a smokey whiskey in cooking. Recipe?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

slightly overdone eye of round, asparagus and mashed potatoes with a red wine pan sauce

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Dr. Klas posted:

Oh man, that looks amazing. How did the sauce turn out? I'd never dare to use a smokey whiskey in cooking. Recipe?

The sauce was quite savoury and pungent - the smokiness helps quite a bit.

Was a spur of the moment tryout - heated up some stock (beef in this case, though venison would be ideal), added a heaping teaspoon of dijon mustard and mixed. Crushed a half teaspoon of black peppercorns, and a teaspoon each of black and brown mustard seeds, half a teaspoon of mustard powder, mixed those with cold water to develop. Add those to the sauce, with a pinch of cayenne pepper. Poured about 20ml whisky, lit to remove the alcohol, added to sauce. Strained the solids out, and reduced slowly, seasoning to finish.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Way late on this... I wanted to try making a tasting menu for Thanksgiving this year instead of doing everything family style. Overall it turned out pretty well and was fun to plan although pretty nerve-wracking at times. It was only for 3 people so that helped keep it from being too overwhelming.

Deviled Egg with Serrano Chilies and Crispy Shallots

Carrot and Ginger Soup with Harissa and Pine Nuts

Steamed Buns with Roasted Turkey Thigh, Cucumber, Scallion, and Pickled Mustard Seed

Cranberry-Vanilla Bean Sorbet

Sous-Vide Turkey Breast with Five Spice, Sichuan Green Beans, Tricolor Potato Chips

Sambal Oelek Caramel Corn

Momofuku Apple Pie, Miso Butterscotch, Sour Cream Ice Cream

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kittenmittons posted:

Way late on this... I wanted to try making a tasting menu for Thanksgiving this year instead of doing everything family style. Overall it turned out pretty well and was fun to plan although pretty nerve-wracking at times. It was only for 3 people so that helped keep it from being too overwhelming.

Deviled Egg with Serrano Chilies and Crispy Shallots

Carrot and Ginger Soup with Harissa and Pine Nuts

Steamed Buns with Roasted Turkey Thigh, Cucumber, Scallion, and Pickled Mustard Seed

Cranberry-Vanilla Bean Sorbet

Sous-Vide Turkey Breast with Five Spice, Sichuan Green Beans, Tricolor Potato Chips

Sambal Oelek Caramel Corn

Momofuku Apple Pie, Miso Butterscotch, Sour Cream Ice Cream

All of this looks incredible. How do I become friends with people who do this?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I was craving a steak so...

Prime NY strip with a twice baked sweet potato. I have been doing sous vide steaks for awhile so it felt good switching it up a bit.

Random Hero fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 8, 2015

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

cyberia posted:

I made dumplings :)

Dumplings are some sort of cheat code. ABACABB of the food world.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Random Hero posted:

Prime NY strip with a twice baked sweet potato. I have been doing sous vide steaks for awhile so it felt good switching it up a bit.

How do you find the steak sous vide vs in the pan? I haven't tried sous vide yet.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

How do you find the steak sous vide vs in the pan? I haven't tried sous vide yet.

There are pros and cons to both approaches.

Sous Vide Benefits:

Foolproof
Great for cooking multiple steaks and controlling quality
Can make cheaper cuts just as tender as the more expensive varieties

Pan Benefits

Better crust = more flavor
Quicker - minutes vs hours

Basically, I prefer pan if I am working with a nice, prime or better cut and it's only 1 or 2 steaks. Anything else, I still really like sous vide for the convenience.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Random Hero posted:

There are pros and cons to both approaches.

Sous Vide Benefits:

Foolproof
Great for cooking multiple steaks and controlling quality
Can make cheaper cuts just as tender as the more expensive varieties

Pan Benefits

Better crust = more flavor
Quicker - minutes vs hours

Basically, I prefer pan if I am working with a nice, prime or better cut and it's only 1 or 2 steaks. Anything else, I still really like sous vide for the convenience.

What about doing the whole thing in the pan results in a better crust? If anything I've found the opposite since I can get the pan gently caress-off hot since the sous vide steak just has to barely touch it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would have thought the added time that you have for the fat (endogenous to the steak as well as added butter) to sear into the protein would improve matters.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

novamute posted:

What about doing the whole thing in the pan results in a better crust? If anything I've found the opposite since I can get the pan gently caress-off hot since the sous vide steak just has to barely touch it.

It might not necessarily create a "crunchier" crust, but I find that the flavor of the crust is better developed given more time in the pan. I did that steak over medium heat in a little but of oil so the steak had a good 4-5 minutes per side to crisp up. Also, spooning the butter, oil, garlic and thyme over the steak for the last few minutes adds a ton of flavor.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Made lutefisk for first time in my life, and ate it for the first time since I was...eight? Ten? I hated it with a passion as a child. Slimy, bony wobble fish.

With a little more careful preparation it was quite edible. In fact, even appetizing. Still a giant "meh". Fish has a very faint egg-like aroma, little else. A pleasant, sponge-like texture. And that's about it. All in all rather boring. Rockfish (salted whitefish dried on rocks) is a lot better. Still fun to have tried it.

Some people go real overboard on the fixin's. I just went for almond potatoes, green pea purée, diced browned bacon and drippings, and lefse. And a bit of hot mustard of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Force de Fappe posted:

Made lutefisk for first time in my life, and ate it for the first time since I was...eight? Ten? I hated it with a passion as a child. Slimy, bony wobble fish.

With a little more careful preparation it was quite edible. In fact, even appetizing. Still a giant "meh". Fish has a very faint egg-like aroma, little else. A pleasant, sponge-like texture. And that's about it. All in all rather boring. Rockfish (salted whitefish dried on rocks) is a lot better. Still fun to have tried it.

Some people go real overboard on the fixin's. I just went for almond potatoes, green pea purée, diced browned bacon and drippings, and lefse. And a bit of hot mustard of course.

Fy faen at du gadd å lage det. Var det fra skrætsj eller kjøpte du fisken?

• Locked thread