Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Pierzak posted:

:cthulhu: have cheap infiltrators, you say. :crossarms:

I'll just leave this here for perspective. :flame:

USAriadna Ranger Force
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

Group 1 10 0 1
GRUNT Lieutenant Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 10)
GRUNT Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (10)
GRUNT HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 21)
MAVERICK (Forward Observer) Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 19)
112 Light Shotgun / Pistol, CCW. (12)
FOXTROT (Forward Observer) Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (18)

Group 2 10 0 1
GRUNT (Inferior Infiltration) Heavy Flamethrower, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 11)
GRUNT (Inferior Infiltration) Heavy Flamethrower, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 11)
MAVERICK Submachine Gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 22)
DOZER Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (13)

Group 3 0 2 0
HARDCASE FRONTIERSMAN Tactical Bow, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (12)
HARDCASE FRONTIERSMAN Tactical Bow, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (12)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open with Army 5

:zerg:

I would love to play this list with my Hac Tao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Can Camo'd markers be linked?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Verr posted:

Can Camo'd markers be linked?

There is no Camo marker with a Link option at present.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

What about the Scots Guard?

Caledonian Highlander Army
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

Group 1 1 0 0
SCOT (2nd Battalion) CH: Camouflage 2 Submachine guns, D.E.P. / Pistol, Knife. (22)

0 SWC | 22 Points

Open with Army 5

e: oops, missed the fine print.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Any linkable model with a camo model has a caveat saying not linkable.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I think maybe the Merovignian Metros special character (Jacques Bruant? The Jean Reno one) has limited camo and can link with ordinary metros.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak posted:

:cthulhu: have cheap infiltrators, you say. :crossarms:

I'll just leave this here for perspective. :flame:

---List---

:zerg:

What would a humble PanO player do against an invisible army like that? Some sort of Total Reaction/360 visor REM if we have them?

Renfield posted:

2nd ever game went well 200pts- I lost 2-1 on a cap-the-antenna game.
I could have got a draw if I'd ARO'ed with the nanopulsar on the Odalisques I had, rather than the spitfire (an AD troop dropped Close enough that the template would have been an auto-hit) as well as remembering she had No Wound Incapacitaion.

Could have deployed better, but top marks to the Al-Hawwa killing 2 guys at 20" with a boarding shot gun !

I'm really enjoying this, and the players I'm meeting are so friendly - speaking as a GW refugee

Sup ex-GW buddy.

I've had nothing but positive experiences so far. For example I picked up a second hand Ariadna start box (the one with the Kazaks) and my FLGS owner gave me a free Kazak just so I'd have a roughly 150 point force depending on how I kitted them out.

Or in the game where I was outnumbered by 100 points of :cthulhu: CA, but still felt like I was in the game until the end. I think a big difference is the reactive turn making it feel like you're always in the game. So even if your freshly painted, points heavy dude gets murdered before you've had a chance to play active turn, you at least get to make a decision as to how to try and prolong your models life. The CA players army basically materialized out of the ether around mine and it was rad as gently caress. It felt like the last stand in the fort in Starship Troopers; rather than being an exercise in frustration like facing a deep striking space marine/Eldar army was.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

WAR FOOT posted:

I would love to play this list with my Hac Tao.

How is the Hac Tao good against a bunch of infiltrators?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Sir Teabag posted:

What would a humble PanO player do against an invisible army like that? Some sort of Total Reaction/360 visor REM if we have them?

It's not invisible, just full of infiltrators. Only the Foxtrots and Hardcases are camo.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
If a PanO player is worried about camo, they need to review the Aquila Guard.

MSV3 is not as amazing as it used to be, but it is still great.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 4, 2015

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

dexefiend posted:

I'm a total newbie - so reading about cool toys my cool toys might have is pretty fun to do while I'm painting their friggin 6 eyed faces

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

Vvvvvvvv: MSV3 ignores camo modifiers, ODD, low visibility zones, smoke, ignores surprise shot/attack penalties, and automatically passes all WIP rolls to discover camo'ed models.

Edit: quote is not edit. I think this is the first time i have ever done that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

It's probably gonna get flamed by a suicide grunt. It might cause havoc if you wait untill the camo blips start popping open, though.

WAR FOOT posted:

There is no Camo marker with a Link option at present.
Both Bruant in camo state and Seed-Soldiers in Seed-Embryo form were officially confirmed to be linkable.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Not a viking posted:

Because it can't be alpha strike'd by them. Yu Jing are probably one of the better suited armies to deal with Infiltraitor Spams, to be honest. Equally disposable templates. That, and that particular list seems like it would really struggle with TO Camo. A few camo rifles'll have a hard time cracking armor. Doubly so for TO Armor.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

WAR FOOT posted:

Because it can't be alpha strike'd by them. Yu Jing are probably one of the better suited armies to deal with Infiltraitor Spams, to be honest. Equally disposable templates. That, and that particular list seems like it would really struggle with TO Camo. A few camo rifles'll have a hard time cracking armor. Doubly so for TO Armor.

Eh, against that you have HFTs, which are well up there with MSV2 for dealing with TO Camo. Shorter range obviously, but less risk - one unlucky roll can lead to a dead Intruder or Nisse. A Grunt or Naffatun hunting a TO model is only risking his own low points.

EDIT: Had 2 games this weekend. Beat one opponent's PanO at Annihilation. He had a scary TAG and a couple of knights, but he isn't a terribly good player since he hasn't played for ages. I bricked myself a bit at the beginning when his Dragao went head to head with a TR bot and HRL Wildcat, beating them both and killing the bot outright. But after that I was able to fight back and pick his expensive models off.

Second game was another teaching game of my Ariadna buddy. Although I still am explaining rules and reminding him of game mechanics, his actual tactics are pretty sound and I was worried at a few points. Didn't get to finish the game. He used 2 dog-warriors, one of whom got glue-gunned (HA!) and one of whom beasted a ton of ARM rolls, but then tried to tangle with a Jaguar link and got beat down. Apart from that, my main worry was I rashly tried to attack with McMurrough, due to some bad rolls, he got into a chain rifle match with a 6-point Galwegian highlander and they both died. loving cheap Dogged models.

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 6, 2015

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Can you walk into btb with a camo marker?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I believe so, I have always played it as that.

Other question: does the Link Team +1Burst bonus affect smoke grenades? Being Targetless, can I have 4 models throw smoke as a coordinated order?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Can you walk into btb with a camo marker?

If it's your camo sure, but you'll reveal. If it's enemy camo, no.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Had my first two games of Infinity today in absolute months of not playing because of organising stuff, and weeks of me not even being able to look at the hobby, but coming back and ejecting pilots out of shiny new Guijas is priceless. Charontid says: gently caress no.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Flipswitch posted:

Had my first two games of Infinity today in absolute months of not playing because of organising stuff, and weeks of me not even being able to look at the hobby, but coming back and ejecting pilots out of shiny new Guijas is priceless. Charontid says: gently caress no.

meanwhile the fat, dorito eating Marut pilot sits safely, miles away from the battlefield.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Isn't Aleph all super-anime cyborgs?

The pilot's eating computer chips.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Deviant posted:

meanwhile the fat, dorito eating Marut pilot sits safely, miles away from the battlefield.
Amen dude, I miss lording over tables with PanO TAGs tbh, wish I liked the Avatar more.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Seems good right up until the multiple-story-high tactical junk. It's getting ridiculous.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah, poses are cool but I prefer the models to make fewer assumptions about the environment around the character. That's okay though; I don't get Spektrs as Bakunin.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Seems good right up until the multiple-story-high tactical junk. It's getting ridiculous.

At least it isn't standing on a rocky outcrop.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
My local gaming store is doing a Festive Season Infinity Event, "full details to come later."

Apparently everyone brings one "starter box", so I hope they know what they're doing to balance the high-points ones like NTCA.

That said, what box should I bring to ensure I'm not being a dick and can still have fun? I've got:

- JSA
- Neoterra
- Vanilla Pan O (Icestorm version)
- Aleph
- Steel Phallus

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Well, you could play Neoterra and just never reveal the Swiss. It'd probably play just fine.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I've got some Liquifex Matte Medium that I'm thinking of using as a brush on sealant for my minis.

Any recommendations to prevent these little dudes from chipping?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Here's my first attempt at an indoor base. Note that I'm not very good at painting, but I'm happy enough with the result as a first try (also most of it will be covered up by the Zond anyway). The main thing that went wrong is that my attempts at using a stencil and a straightedge worked a lot worse than I thought it would.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Not bad for a first attempt. My first time doing hazard stripes looked very similar - and I never got any better at them lol.

Here are my WiP PanO dudes. I'm going to seal them up tomorrow and then add some snow effects to the bases.

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 8, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thanks! I tried using a piece of thick magazine paper (from a flyer left at my door) as a straightedge but in spite of my efforts the paint leaked underneath a bit so I had to freehand it. I didn't think about it at the time but I should have used painter's tape. The stencil had a similar problem but if I was careful and dabbed on tiny amounts of paint at a time it didn't leak.

It honestly looks okay from a few feet away; the photograph really brought out the bad lines.

Edit: gonna add a little more red to my blood mix too

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 8, 2015

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Thanks! I tried using a piece of thick magazine paper (from a flyer left at my door) as a straightedge but in spite of my efforts the paint leaked underneath a bit so I had to freehand it. I didn't think about it at the time but I should have used painter's tape. The stencil had a similar problem but if I was careful and dabbed on tiny amounts of paint at a time it didn't leak.

It honestly looks okay from a few feet away; the photograph really brought out the bad lines.

Edit: gonna add a little more red to my blood mix too

Photo's are the enemy of my painting.
I recently started painting with a headlamp. Partially because it gets really gloomy around here early, and partly because I REALLY wanted to expose all my mistakes. It was frustrating but it makes my mini's not look so bad when I snap photos.

Have you tried using painter's tape on a mini? I've day dreamed about it, but never tried it on such a small scale. I'd also be afraid of chipping paint off.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sir Teabag posted:

Photo's are the enemy of my painting.
I recently started painting with a headlamp. Partially because it gets really gloomy around here early, and partly because I REALLY wanted to expose all my mistakes. It was frustrating but it makes my mini's not look so bad when I snap photos.

Have you tried using painter's tape on a mini? I've day dreamed about it, but never tried it on such a small scale. I'd also be afraid of chipping paint off.

Good idea; I should get some better lighting.

I wouldn't try using tape on a mini, I don't think, but I think it would be fine for putting straight lines on bases intended to look like roads or bulkheads, etc..

Sir Teabag posted:

Not bad for a first attempt. My first time doing hazard stripes looked very similar - and I never got any better at them lol.

Here are my WiP PanO dudes. I'm going to seal them up tomorrow and then add some snow effects to the bases.

I like that blue a lot. On my PanOs I used a 1:1 mix of Tamiya chrome silver and sky blue which is a little subdued compared to the official schemes or that one, but I like how it turned out.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I think somebody in the X-wing thread mentioned the trick to taping lines for your minis. You paint over the tape and the area you're about to do with the base color, then go over it with the color you actually want in the taped-off area. That keeps the second layer of paint from bleeding out under the tape. For a caution stripe, you'd paint a big bar of yellow, tape off for the black bars, paint yellow around the tape edge, then do the black segments over the whole thing.

Might be a little too big for Infinity figures themselves, but it should work nicely on terrain and bases.

On the subject of arts and crafts, I was thinking I'd try magnetizing my bases and carrying my junk around stuck on the inside of a metal toolbox. Somebody in this thread had that idea way back when, and I was wondering if it held up. If so, what kinda magnets did you use?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

If so, what kinda magnets did you use?

I believe CB bases are designed to accept 5x2mm magnets.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What's a good magnet source?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
KJ Magnetics in the USA http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
You can totally use masking tapes on minis just fine. Tamiya makes low-tack stuff in a variety of small sizes intended for model use, but you can just cut blue tape to size and stick it to your table or cutting mat a couple times to remove some of the adhesive before applying it to your model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Alternatively, gently caress it because the base above is fixable with simple retouching with grey.
More hints: lay the brush flatter when doing hazard stripes, easier to make them straighter that way. Also, blood pool - either Tamiya Clear Red or GW Blood For The Blood God (their technicals are the only stuff I'd buy from them), take a poo poo brush and stipple it on.

In other news, I finally stopped losing minis in my home and organized my Infinity painting queue :toot: the bad news is that my Infinity painting queue is 12 pizza-sized boxes, not counting commissions :suicide: I might have a problem.

• Locked thread