Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

You do know Foxconn is a Taiwanese company?

Inasmuch as Taiwan is a Chinese province maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I have a butterfly 2. It's not bad. It has a lot of bloatware, but every phone does, ffs. My biggest complaint is the non-removable battery, it's probably the last non-removable battery phone I will ever buy just on principle, but FWIW I've put it through constant stress for months on end and the battery is still pretty solid on wi-fi and lasts a p long time with the screen off.

Plus it's waterproof, which is nice because I have a habit of dropping my phone into wet things.

e: oh also that "official HTC charging cable" nonsense is loving garbage and I'm not sure the tech reason why it is that way, but I'd be willing to bet it's just corporate assholery

if i'm wrong, correct me

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 16, 2015

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

You do know Foxconn is a Taiwanese company?

Yes? I don't know how you could read anything else from my comment.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

quadrophrenic posted:

e: oh also that "official HTC charging cable" nonsense is loving garbage and I'm not sure the tech reason why it is that way, but I'd be willing to bet it's just corporate assholery

if i'm wrong, correct me

I've got a HTC Desire 616 or something like that. My camera uses the same charging cable, sits next to my phone to charge, and I get that stupid warning of "charging is too slow on this cable! Please switch to an official HTC...." Yeah, it's total crap that part. Otherwise I like my phone, though it tends to freeze up and run slow from time to time, especially if I'm jumping back and forth between apps like Facebook and Line, or the SA app and Line, or the web browser and Line. I think you get the Line.

Though I understand the idea of "throw-away-able quality" as a friend asked her class how often their parents bought them a new cell phone. Most of the class said every 3-6 months.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
No viruses, no apps, no problem.

Windows Phone mobile, for business, with Skype mobile for business, 365 professional edition plus

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

If your slippers ain't got wiffy, I don't know what to tell you, you just not doing it right.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Does anybody have experience shipping stuff to mainland China? Expediency is not issue, it can take a month for all I care. I just want to use the cheapest option, and internet searches aren't yielding good answers. Can I just use Chungwa Post?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rental Sting posted:

Does anybody have experience shipping stuff to mainland China? Expediency is not issue, it can take a month for all I care. I just want to use the cheapest option, and internet searches aren't yielding good answers. Can I just use Chungwa Post?

Don't have experience, but yeah, going to a post office should be fine and probably the cheapest.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I've sent just plain-rear end letters across the strait with Chunghwa Post and it was fine (as far as I know). No packages though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Why the gently caress are IPass and EasyCard two different systems, loving kaohsiung mrt bullshit

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
In Bangkok the train, the MRT, the skytrain, and the airport rail are all separate systems. You cannot use a card on a bus or in a taxi. That two entirely different cities in Taiwan use two separate systems when the national rail and everything in Taipei uses one seems like small potatoes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

They are all dumb. Please Ms. Tsai bring on the NWO so all of this poo poo becomes standardized.

I mean everything in Taipei and Taichung can use EasyCard, what's Kaohsiung's excuse

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The dumb part is that EasyCard (and iPass now) are privately-owned and for-profit companies, though large stakes in these companies are held by the city governments. So of course you have an incentive not to use another city's/company's card, just roll your own and make your own money rather than pay someone else.

There should definitely be a mandate that any public service or utility should have to accept all of them, and we have been moving in that direction, though it's mostly Kaohsiung dragging its feet. Even to use iPass in the Taipei Metro is a pain though, since you have to go to a certain gate. There's no reason all the readers and stuff can't be built into one unit, but it costs money to implement and it will cost the current incumbent system profit, so gently caress it, why bother?

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

In Bangkok the train, the MRT, the skytrain, and the airport rail are all separate systems. You cannot use a card on a bus or in a taxi. That two entirely different cities in Taiwan use two separate systems when the national rail and everything in Taipei uses one seems like small potatoes.

Seriously. Taiwan is pretty advanced in this respect, I can't recall another country that I've been to where you could use a single card in multiple cities on trains, buses, and taxis.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Are you guys as outraged by the Taipei mrt getting a station code scheme as the people on my facebook are?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Are you guys as outraged by the Taipei mrt getting a station code scheme as the people on my facebook are?
It's yet another kind of dumb, kind of unnecessary thing like the stupid avenue/boulevard numbering system for the main streets, but honestly I couldn't give the smallest gently caress. At the very least it'll be way easier for, like, Japanese or Thai or Korean visitors, people who can't read the Romanized/English names and can't read the Chinese. That said, I'm sure they'll find some way to gently caress it up.

e: Also part of me is like "loving FOBs, I remember when the MRT map looked like this:

So shut up and appreciate how much better we've got it now."

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 1, 2015

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I see it as way more functional than the street system since stations are discreet and the codes are just a shorthand reference that are easier to remember.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I never understood why, when they have perfectly serviceable colors for each line, they started referring to them by numbers in English. I know the MRT system pretty drat well, but for example, I'd still be hard-pressed to tell you which line is "Line 5" without looking at a map. Just call it the Blue Line. Holy poo poo, problem solved.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well that's what the codes are doing. The stations on the blue line will be BX, green line GX, etc, where X is the station number. Besides, I don't think a lot of people even know about the road codes, but the mrt codes will be printed loving everywhere.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

news to me, sounds useful :shrug:

TetsuoTW posted:

It's yet another kind of dumb, kind of unnecessary thing like the stupid avenue/boulevard numbering system for the main streets, but honestly I couldn't give the smallest gently caress. At the very least it'll be way easier for, like, Japanese or Thai or Korean visitors, people who can't read the Romanized/English names and can't read the Chinese. That said, I'm sure they'll find some way to gently caress it up.

e: Also part of me is like "loving FOBs, I remember when the MRT map looked like this:

So shut up and appreciate how much better we've got it now."

i don't even live in yong he anymore, but i'm still annoyed about how it doesn't hit main station anymore

also brown line deserves to be brown with its lovely seating setup

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I never understood why, when they have perfectly serviceable colors for each line, they started referring to them by numbers in English. I know the MRT system pretty drat well, but for example, I'd still be hard-pressed to tell you which line is "Line 5" without looking at a map. Just call it the Blue Line. Holy poo poo, problem solved.

wait, what

e: ok, found the new(?) map

so did they code up the stations too or just number the lines? I guess I'm okay with the numbers because they're still colored anyway, so you should be able to use both the number and color to refer to a line, and maybe it'll help a colorblind person or something.

how dare they make the worst line number one

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 1, 2015

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
What to which part?

The lines all have their official names, like "Bannan Line," and then a number, right? The numbers are relatively new, I wanna say within the last year. They use the numbers in the announcements, "Passengers for Line 5 please transfer at this station," or whatever. I don't really get the point of using the numbers at all when they all have colors. Everyone I've known has referred to them by color anyway.

edit: Just saw your edit. The line numbers have been around for a little while, as I said, but they are now proposing giving each station a "code" based on its line color and the station number. That's how the Kaohsiung MRT has operated since its inception, i.e. R5 is the fifth station on the Red Line.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The biggest thing is that even if you hate them, just don't loving use them, no-one's threatening to deport you if you don't call Taipei Main Station "R10" or whatever.

e: The numbers came in when the Songshan line opened.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
yeah, i've been a road commuter for a while now

yeah, codes are fine and can't hurt, i mean this isn't a Danshui/Tamsui/newyorkcity identity thing

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm disappointed. I thought you meant the three letter codes like with airports. I always love telling people that my home airport is PNS.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Nope it's just color plus ascending number. I bet they've had internal codes for years for paperwork and maintenance purposes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nope it's just color plus ascending number. I bet they've had internal codes for years for paperwork and maintenance purposes.
They 100% do. Stations in planning or construction go by code names, sometimes you even see the code names used in advertising for new housing developments.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Kenting has campgrounds right? Like, if I drive down there in my wagon, I can pretty much just roll out a sleeping bag in the back and go to sleep as long as it's a designated area, right?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

duckfarts posted:

and maybe it'll help a colorblind person or something.

It absolutely does. In Hong Kong, all the official names of the lines are based on where they go. The last station on the Tsuen Wan line is Tsuen Wan. The Kwun Tong line goes to Kwun Tong (although it's not the last station anymore). But people still insist on referring to them based on what color they are on the map. No I'm sorry I don't know if I'm on the green line or the red line because those colors look the same to me, use the loving name of the line you color-privileged jerk.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

Kenting has campgrounds right? Like, if I drive down there in my wagon, I can pretty much just roll out a sleeping bag in the back and go to sleep as long as it's a designated area, right?

Yes, but you can also basically stay anywhere. Tons of people camp out in Jialushui right by the beach

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

It absolutely does. In Hong Kong, all the official names of the lines are based on where they go. The last station on the Tsuen Wan line is Tsuen Wan. The Kwun Tong line goes to Kwun Tong (although it's not the last station anymore). But people still insist on referring to them based on what color they are on the map. No I'm sorry I don't know if I'm on the green line or the red line because those colors look the same to me, use the loving name of the line you color-privileged jerk.

Was going to say this because I'm nice to Bloodnose. He's also nice to me too because I only hear through my left ear.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I have become death, destroyer of cell phones.

Got the thinnest of cracks in my cell phone's screen, and it makes it pretty much useless. Can't use the top half of the screen at all, and the bottom half is fidgety at best, half the time pressing something other than what I press. It's not from dropping my phone, as the crack appeared sometime during my ride to work today. Taiwanese co-worker says he's had similar issues before and it might be because I keep it in my pants. Said co-worker also commented on this (and my lamentations about the battery in my watch dying) by saying "It's New Year's! You're suppose to buy new things for the new year!"

In the meantime, moving all my off topic crap from the Line group here. Like... is it possible to get a Yamaha XT-250 in Taiwan?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
My vague "Wouldn't it be cool if I went to Taiwan to teach English..." plans just got way more real because I got accepted into a Cambridge CELTA (Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults) program.

It is a one month intensive that I might be starting in January and finishing in February, so if I keep my guts up, it looks like I might be quite employable in Taiwan (or elsewhere) in March or April.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Doing a CELTA is definitely something I'd recommend if you are serious about teaching English abroad, but it won't affect how employable you are in Taiwan. Do you have a pulse? Do you have a BA/BS? You're employable!

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Atlas Hugged posted:

Doing a CELTA is definitely something I'd recommend if you are serious about teaching English abroad, but it won't affect how employable you are in Taiwan. Do you have a pulse? Do you have a BA/BS? You're employable!

And don't forget, white face best face.

But yeah, if you don't have designs on becoming a educator for your long-term career path then don't bother with a CELTA or any other credential. It's an investment that will never pay off.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

USDA Choice posted:

And don't forget, white face best face.

But yeah, if you don't have designs on becoming a educator for your long-term career path then don't bother with a CELTA or any other credential. It's an investment that will never pay off.

How much does a CELTA course cost, just out of curiosity? I'm already here, so would something like that boost me up if I plan on doing the teaching thing for a possibly steady career?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've bought a paper knife for a friend in the US, has anyone tried to post one of these back home? Would it get stolen by customs? The blade is two or three inches long and the handle's big and decorative so it's obviously not designed for murder, but is it still ~a deadly terrorist weapon~???

YF19pilot posted:

Taiwanese co-worker says he's had similar issues before and it might be because I keep it in my pants.

I suppose he might have reasons but you're a white guy in Taiwan, may as well play the field a bit, ya know?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

YF19pilot posted:

How much does a CELTA course cost, just out of curiosity? I'm already here, so would something like that boost me up if I plan on doing the teaching thing for a possibly steady career?

Just from googling it looks like US$2800. I honestly have no idea how long it would take to pay off financially, though by the math if your salary was a few % higher than it otherwise would have been for like 4-5 years I guess it would? Maybe it would help you get a university level position too eventually? But honestly it seems like the thing that I personally wouldn't ever consider doing for the money if I knew I wanted to teach English in Taiwan long term. If someone wants to be a serious educator then I would say go for it, it'll probably pay off, and if not then you still haven't lost a lot of money like undergrad tuition in the states, and you're still going to get better at your chosen profession.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YF19pilot posted:

Just get experience and make connections in a good city to find a career position. Tons of good jobs get passed around to people who have connections and experience and no one cares about a CELTA or a TESOL. I know handfuls of people who have taken good jobs that they were unqualified for, some without even college degrees. It's all about who you know and what you've done, just like numerous other fields.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
CELTA isn't even that great of a course. It's the standard, but it focuses on adults and doesn't have a lot of classroom hours. If you want to primarily teach adults, which there are jobs for in Taiwan though the field is centered around children and teens, and are good at turning theory into practical skills, then you could do it just for the knowledge base. Frankly, the schools and institutions all more or less have an approach in mind based on whatever curriculum they use and what you're most likely going to get out of doing a CELTA or TESOL program are some survival teaching skills. These are pretty important, but you get a lot of the same stuff just from working for a cram school for a few months. I don't think any of the schools in Taiwan pay extra for having a TESOL, though Korea did if it had classroom hours and wasn't online.

My current position has allowed me to observe hundreds of teachers in the last year from all different backgrounds and just having a piece of paper from a four week course didn't make them any better suited for the job. Though I did actually meet someone who managed to fail the CELTA. I didn't even think that was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I get the impression the value of a CELTA jumps a lot if you already have a year or two's experience and want to make ESL teaching a long-term thing.