Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BoostCreep posted:

My friend swapped an LS3 into his FD RX7 a few years ago and still has the 13B and transmission sitting in storage. A few months ago the engine in his 2006 M3 ate itself, so now he has a 65k mile e46 M3 with a bad engine and a good twin turbo rotary sitting on a palate in a garage.

He'd never do it, but a man can dream.

Get him really drunk and convince him to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kastein posted:

Anyone who cares enough about sports to maybe commit suicide over the results of a single game is... wow. What kind of hosed up people do you live with?
The kind that would pay money to live with SAG.

Low blow what up.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cage posted:

The kind that would pay money to live with SAG.

Low blow what up.

Shots fired

which is what hes worried about :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Lol. I live with 3 of my closest friends since middle school. I hope he just caught the flu I had last week and his crazy ex didn't stab him to death.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm pretty confident I could build a 250Kw rotary that would scare the living poo poo out of any 300-350Kw V8 swap in a straight line. And would without doubt smack the living poo poo out of the V8 swap around a track

And before there is BUT BUT BUT ALL THINGS EQUAL!!!! - nothing is equal, that is exactly the point! Play up to the strengths of each motor, rather than thoughtlessly dump in something that sounds cool. You can never get all things equal so dont pretend you can - then use the best motor in the best shell for it's characteristics.

Apex seals is a sad bit of bullshit that keeps being thrown up - Rotarys are reliable and very tolerant to abuse, a dollop of oil is part of running a rotory (and it's not that much required). The not exactly common is unfortuantly true. But if you do the swap hooooooly poo poo is it worth is. And with one of those, the whole V8 might be faster in a straight line becomes highly dubious.

I might point out that the LS1 has a terrible reputation for reliabilty and longetivity in Australia. Oil consumption that beats a rotary, bores that wear if you blink at then, regular ancillary failures.... basically seen like Americans see rotarys. The Gen IV motors are seen as being a whoooooooole load better.

The issue here in the US is that 1) folks don't take care of their cars, and rotaries don't hold up to neglect all that well, while LSx V8s pretty much do. and 2) I can buy a complete 5.3 out of a truck (with plenty of life left) for less than the rebuild kit for a 13B. I love a good rotary, but it's difficult to argue against the cost-effectiveness of a modern V8. I mean, a 5.3 is 300 HP out of the box, and cam and heads will get you 400. I wouldn't replace a perfectly-good 13B or 13BT, but a busted one? Sorely tempted.
Disclosure: I own 7 RX-7s across the first two generations. One runs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

The issue here in the US is that 1) folks don't take care of their cars, and rotaries don't hold up to neglect all that well, while LSx V8s pretty much do. and 2) I can buy a complete 5.3 out of a truck (with plenty of life left) for less than the rebuild kit for a 13B. I love a good rotary, but it's difficult to argue against the cost-effectiveness of a modern V8. I mean, a 5.3 is 300 HP out of the box, and cam and heads will get you 400. I wouldn't replace a perfectly-good 13B or 13BT, but a busted one? Sorely tempted.

I smell heresy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

I smell heresy.

Smells like cost-aware power to me. And that smells delicious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Smells like cost-aware power to me. And that smells delicious.

Then why buy an RX-7 to begin with.

And it was a joke. That was too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

We're a loving huge national financial company and nobody other than myself in this department understands loving basic algebra.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Then why buy an RX-7 to begin with.

And it was a joke. That was too.

I know it was a joke, this is a comedy forum. :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

That whole cost effectiveness thing is bunk when you see just how cheap a rotary can be - lets for the moment go with my RX-7 - I know quite well it wont work with a L98 motor in anything other than a straight line squirt and even then there is a loooooong list of chassis work I would have to do to make it work for any length of time and to have traction. The diff WILL break, the gear box will be smashed, the rear chassis will tear. I do none of that for a good 13B.

A T56 is not a drop in gearbox replacement and needs a lot more work than even a Supra steel case to fit. Ford 9" or 8.8" diffs are heavy and add considerably to unsprung weight, which is a killer on a Gen 1 and aren't a drop in either. How much plating and welding you handy with? You will have to reinforce the rear floorpan, the front towers greatly. You are losing on your time here or paying someone else to do it. So basically so far you have added a lot of weight in the wrong places for what? An ill mannered car (I do know the suspension problems a V8 causes :) )that only gets you smoke from the tyres? So for your time and money (remember, your time is NOT free / you pay someone else to do it) I'm already been using a well built car for some time and also been picking out the second set of upgrades to brakes and suspension with the cost you spent. I've spent a whooooole load less time and I would challenge that a V8 swapper would spend less money to get it even with US pricing rolling, especially without the diff and gearbox being in race to see who can deposit their contents onto the road first or wether the front or rear sheet metal tears first.

Basically, V8 swappers never account for the other huge changes they have to do and the time they sink to get the cars running (if they do at all). And they also never make up for the huge chassis engineering they have to do to even get their cars close to what made RX-7's desirable in the first place and they always get embarrassed when some smart arse that does know rotarys and the chassis smacks them silly around a track with a load less power. And I gotta say, it's hilarious when a V8 powered example has only just caught you at the end of a straight, then has to brake in desperation to haul all that weight back down to a speed capable to go around the next corner, then I'm laughing my rear end off as I dive down the inside and late brake the gently caress out of them, then disappear as the other car is struggling to get any meaningful power down. It wont happen again because their brakes wont last more than two laps, mine last the entire session as do my tyres.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but really, there are better cars to start with if you want a tyre frying V8 that will work without anywhere near the effort. I wouldnt drop a rotary into a Corvette and expect results (...well... I would just to troll like gently caress).

I will acknowledge that for all the disgust I have for V8 swappers into RX7's, the RX8 absolutly should never have had a NA 13B, it's just too bloody heavy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I forget, what do you drive right now CAT INTERCEPTOR?

Also I still want to buy a brand new Viper, a brand new Hellcat, and put them next to my $500 MJ. Then put the Viper motor in the MJ, the Hellcat motor in the Viper, and the clapped out old RENIX 4.0L in the Hellcat. Just to watch enthusiasts from literally every circle except the MJ owners cry over it.

Sadly I'm like most MJ owners, mine are dead in the yard and I'm broke.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was actually looking at an 84 RX7 S2 earlier. They're so pretty :allears:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I had an 84 Rx7 and it was the best car. So many good times in it. My Scirocco is a close second though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you move those goalposts any further or faster you'll have lapped the LS-powered posts.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm at a crossroads with my cars, which seems to be a very common place for me to be.

I currently have 5 cars, 3 of which run, and 2 of which have current tags and insurance. I live in Los Angeles, so space is at a premium. I probably shouldn't have bought the 5th car last week, but it was super cheap and I want a race car, so screw it.

The cars that I can't drive but can't get rid of:
74 Bricklin
91 Talon (runs, just no tags or insurance)
93 SC400

Current daily drivers:
14 Fiesta ST
99 Grand Cherokee

Having said that, I'm thinking of selling my Grand Cherokee and trading in my Fiesta on a new daily driver that can tow and get good gas mileage to slim down the stable a bit. I'm also moving in with my girlfriend and will be spending a lot more time together, and the two of us plus our two dogs just don't fit in the Fiesta very well. It's shockingly hard to find an SUV these days that costs less than 50 grand and can tow over 6,000lbs, with pretty much the only option being a diesel Grand Cherokee. I have some reservations with that purchase since Jeep's been having a slew of problems with transmissions in the new Cherokee, but that car shares nothing with the new Grand Cherokee, and since they are selling over 200,000 of them worldwide this year, I'm hoping not to run into any reliability issues. Plus my 2013 Grand Cherokee was awesome for the year and a half I owned it, but the V8 averaged 11.5mpg during that time which just doesn't work for me. I do however want the Quadra-Drive II and off-road package so I can at least get a little dirty in the absence of my WJ.

If I can get $5k minimum for my WJ, which looking at local prices I should be able to, and around $17k on my Fiesta trade to pay it off, I might be able to make it happen. I'm probably going to wait until the last week of this month to see what kind of deal I can get. Honestly the hardest part of this whole situation is that I will REALLY miss my Fiesta. It's such a badass little car and I've never grown so strangely attached to a car I've only had for two years. It's easily one of my favorite cars I've owned (out of 24). I've also put a considerable amount of work and money into the WJ, but I've only used it for proper off-roading once since I've owned it and right now I could use the tow capabilities more than the off-road abilities.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
AI: I have three cars that don't run, so I'm getting rid of the two that do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyways my roommate didn't go to work again today and isn't answering my texts. I am gonna bang on his door until he answers when I get home. Starting to worry me...

Is this still because of a football game?

Sounds like a real winner.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Nope. Turns out he caught the flu from me. Thank God he is alive.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

God, I didn't think of it like that. gently caress I have a problem.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

truth.txt

BoostCreep, don't you have the 4.7 non-HO? Why not tow with the WJ? Gas mileage sucks but $30,000 buys a lot of gas.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BoostCreep posted:

What we have here in this forum is what armchair psychologists call "codependency," but I call some really great project threads.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BoostCreep posted:

You have at least 3, in fact.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

truth.txt

BoostCreep, don't you have the 4.7 non-HO? Why not tow with the WJ? Gas mileage sucks but $30,000 buys a lot of gas.

Yeah, WJs are great tow rigs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Noe that RADL has assembled, anyone know a decent rotary shop near Berkeley, CA? My brother is moving there and it would probably be a good thing for him to know.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

Noe that RADL has assembled, anyone know a decent rotary shop near Berkeley, CA? My brother is moving there and it would probably be a good thing for him to know.
Can you tell us the route he's taking, so we can recommend several decent rotary shops along the way as well?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

To be fair the jeep could easily switch to "doesn't run" at any given moment

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That whole cost effectiveness thing is bunk when you see just how cheap a rotary can be - lets for the moment go with my RX-7 - I know quite well it wont work with a L98 motor in anything other than a straight line squirt and even then there is a loooooong list of chassis work I would have to do to make it work for any length of time and to have traction. The diff WILL break, the gear box will be smashed, the rear chassis will tear. I do none of that for a good 13B.
Of course you dont need to do all that reinforcement work. The 13B isn't going to push 600 ft-lbs, much less the 800+ the LSx can on command.

quote:

I know I'm a broken record on this, but really, there are better cars to start with if you want a tyre frying V8 that will work without anywhere near the effort. I wouldnt drop a rotary into a Corvette and expect results (...well... I would just to troll like gently caress).

I will acknowledge that for all the disgust I have for V8 swappers into RX7's, the RX8 absolutly should never have had a NA 13B, it's just too bloody heavy.
I don't think you're wrong for pointing out the downsides of swapping an LSx, and if I had unlimited funds I'd build a 20B 'vette for ultimate trolling as well, but you're simply comparing apples to oranges at this point. If you want a lightweight track car go buy a lotus or atom, not an RX.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Can you tell us the route he's taking, so we can recommend several decent rotary shops along the way as well?

I can't tell if this is a burn or a serious recommendation.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

truth.txt

I actually towed the new project car about 40 miles last week and it did well. Up hill I was limited to around 30mph on the highway, but otherwise it towed it just fine. I guess I just worry about the reliability of a nearly 170k engine and transmission towing a 3,000lb car plus trailer around long term. I did have to lie to U-Haul though and tell them I was towing a 240sx so it would fit within the weight restrictions.

Mainly, I want to get back down to a much more manageable 4 cars since I'm losing the space where I store my Jeep and Talon next month. I guess I could just sell the Fiesta and keep the WJ to hit my completely sane number of 4 cars, but having a 16 year old Jeep as my only daily driver would make me a glutton for punishment.

Some pics from last week. Somehow I didn't get any with the car on the trailer:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Of course you dont need to do all that reinforcement work. The 13B isn't going to push 600 ft-lbs, much less the 800+ the LSx can on command.

I don't think you're wrong for pointing out the downsides of swapping an LSx, and if I had unlimited funds I'd build a 20B 'vette for ultimate trolling as well, but you're simply comparing apples to oranges at this point. If you want a lightweight track car go buy a lotus or atom, not an RX.

Because all that matters is max power you can generate, right?

RX is probably cheaper than the Lotus or Atom. C'mon now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Corvette rotary swap with a Ford rear end just for that extra bit of salt in the wound.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Every car club I have ever been involved with has had some old bastard rivet-counters in who won't accept anything non-original and bitch about any mods. I think the same sort of twat is found in every club.

Anybody saying 'V8/LS swaps are bad just because' is like one of those guys.

Its my car, I'll swap whatever I like into it and do whatever I want with it. My project, my choices and I don't give a poo poo if you don't like it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

Every car club I have ever been involved with has had some old bastard rivet-counters in who won't accept anything non-original and bitch about any mods. I think the same sort of twat is found in every club.

Anybody saying 'V8/LS swaps are bad just because' is like one of those guys.

Its my car, I'll swap whatever I like into it and do whatever I want with it. My project, my choices and I don't give a poo poo if you don't like it.

Fair enough. I can get behind that view.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dad's aged care update:

Went to the hospital this morning and spoke to the social worker about dad and what to do about his care after he leaves hospital.

Good news: There is a transitional care place for dad to go to

Bad news: Dad has to agree to it

Good news: The place is pretty local, not far for me to go to, close for some relatives and friends

Bad news: It is a place that dad associates where his best friend died

Good news: I won't be the one telling dad this

See what happens I guess. At worst all I need to do is go to VCAT to get them to grant me guardianship over dad to, well, force him to go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ. Now she's watching Glee.

I think she wants me to break up with her.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Dad's aged care update:

Went to the hospital this morning and spoke to the social worker about dad and what to do about his care after he leaves hospital.

Good news: There is a transitional care place for dad to go to

Bad news: Dad has to agree to it

Good news: The place is pretty local, not far for me to go to, close for some relatives and friends

Bad news: It is a place that dad associates where his best friend died

Good news: I won't be the one telling dad this

See what happens I guess. At worst all I need to do is go to VCAT to get them to grant me guardianship over dad to, well, force him to go.

Is there a different centre that serves the same purpose he could go to? Might make life easier if there are two options.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

He's only moving 80 miles and has 200mi tow AAA, so we're good on that front.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't want to feed the ls1 swap fire more but I found this video really interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFDBZpg627o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I think I have a problem.

I'm seriously trying to justify 20k on a god drat motorcycle.

I could literally buy a used car AND bike AND get the GTI done for less than that.

But oh god so sexy.

Edit: also LSx everything.

• Locked thread