Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's hilarious, and sad. Both imo.

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless
beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and
impatient of restraint.

– Hesiod, 800s BC

Googled that quote. Wikiquote says there's no actual proof Hesiod ever said that... is it a hoax?

Edit: Interesting. A similar quote was supposedly Socrates'... and that one might have originated in 1907.
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehaving-children-in-ancient-times/

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Googled that quote. Wikiquote says there's no actual proof Hesiod ever said that... is it a hoax?
Could be. This, however, is not.
Well at least the comic itself is 100 years old.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
D'oh!

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
It's also interesting to realize just how completely unthinkable those images would be in a modern Christian text. Giant dripping saintly phalli, fart trumpets and dick picking nuns are, to put it mildly, inappropriate illustrations for a morally uplifting religious document. Parodying religion is seen as insulting: by portraying it as a bad and/or silly thing you are implying that the parodied subject itself is silly and bad. Also boners and pussies are lustful, and lust is bad, therefore they must not be portrayed.

In Late Medieval times humor was used very differently. Reversal of the natural order of things was a very common theme, and parodies were used to show just how silly and bad anything but the parodied subject was. The penis badges invert the regular message of pilgrim badges (worship God above all, pursue a pious life) by showing men putting the pussy on a pedestal and women chasing after wheelbarrows of dick, but the intended message stays the same. The contrast between a text about the Heavenly Kingdom and poop-slinging monkeys in the margins underlines the purity of Heaven compared to Earth. A monk with a giant boner is ridiculous, which reminds you that monks pursue a pious life without earthly pleasures.

They were definitely still intended to be funny in their rudeness, you're supposed to go "hahaha that's so gross, who would chase after cocks if you could chase after Jesus!"

Another expression of the reversal of natural order theme: animals doing human stuff!

PiratePing has a new favorite as of 12:39 on Dec 7, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Suddenly, Terry Gilliam's animations make a lot more sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Henrik Ibsen the playwright and Leo Tolstoy the author were contemporaries and fans of each other's work, although they never corresponded or met in person. Neither of them spoke a word of the other's native language, although they could both read and speak German, which is how they experienced one another's works. Ibsen's last play was called When We Dead Awaken, and Tolstoy once remarked in a letter to a colleague why Ibsen had chosen such a clunky title. Unbeknownst to Tolstoy, Ibsen's original title choice was Resurrection, but he changed it when he discovered that Tolstoy had picked the same name for his book, also his last.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

iirc in Medieval Europe religion also just encompassed so much more of any person's daily culture and what they would see/hear/read. The bible might be one of the only books that you'd ever seen, apart from maybe a ledger. I think if you look at it like that it makes more sense that there'd be a lot more (both in volume and variety) entertainment within religious materials in those days. Modern American/European Christians look like they're treating their religion a lot more seriously, but that's only because they can get their dick jokes somewhere else, you know?

Also to follow up whoever mentioned monkeys killing each other with knives, the english respond to discovering new and exciting animals by seeing how good they are at killing dogs. Featuring Jacco Maccacco, "a celebrated monkey" that got really good at it.

Red Bones has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Dec 7, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Poor Jacco Macacco the fighting monkey, killed by a dog with an ironic name:

quote:

Jacco had finished off fourteen dogs in a row, but then he was challenged by a canine named Puss, who had a similar record. Puss suffered a lacerated neck and Jacco had his jaw torn off, both died shortly after the match.

Rest in peace little buddy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Mentalizer posted:

Poor Jacco Macacco the fighting monkey, killed by a dog with an ironic name:

Rest in peace little buddy.

This would be like if Rocky and Drago died at the end of the fight.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

This would be like if Rocky and Drago died at the end of the fight.

Yeah but only if drago had to fight and kill 14 other boxers in a row first

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Creed was basically 14 boxers

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It said the dig had a similar record. So maybe that dog had killed 14 monkeys already.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

The English once hanged a monkey for being a French spy.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Molentik posted:

You sure he wasn't just a Frenchman?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Molentik posted:

This isn't exactly ancient history but

http://www.israelandstuff.com/saudi-arabia-detains-3rd-israeli-bird-as-possible-mossad-spy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You sure he wasn't just a Frenchman?

If I'm remembering correctly it may have actually been a French kid. A "powder monkey" or something.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

If I'm remembering correctly it may have actually been a French kid. A "powder monkey" or something.

That could indeed be true. A quick search on Google on the subject lead me to this which I find quite hilarious

quote:

In 2002, Stuart Drummond campaigned for the office of Mayor of Hartlepool in the costume of HAngus the Monkey and narrowly won; he used the election slogan free bananas for schoolchildren, a promise he was unable to keep. He has since been re-elected twice.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

If Israel were trying to use the birds as spies why have they got tags saying they're from Israel on them. Seems kind of counterproductive to being a spy. Plus they're birds, so they're not exactly reliable spies in the first place.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Slime posted:

If Israel were trying to use the birds as spies why have they got tags saying they're from Israel on them. Seems kind of counterproductive to being a spy. Plus they're birds, so they're not exactly reliable spies in the first place.

They were probably "spies" in the same way that fire can be a "bomb."

"well, here's a force of nature, let's try and get it to do our bidding and focus it into this-- oops"

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Wenseslao Moguel fought in the Mexican Revolution for Pancho Villa, but was captured and executed by firing squad. After being shot by 9 rifles, the officer in command of the squad shot him in the head with a pistol at close range to make sure he was dead.

He then crawled away, recovered, and lived a long and happy life.

This gives us the most upbeat song about getting shot ever, by the only anarchist collective to get a british top 10 hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05j25PHA7l8

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Alhazred posted:

Five famous royal mistresses:
Madame de Pompadour (1721-1764)
Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson met Louie XV at a costume ball. She was dressed as sheepherder and he was dressed as a tree. He made her Marquise de Pompadour and she practically ran the country while the king was busy hunting and partying. She didn't do a very good job but she did protect writers like Voltaire from being censored.

Lola Montez (1821-1861)
Born in Ireland Montez had affairs with Lizt and Dumas before becoming the mistress to King Louie I of Bayern. Her liberal influence on the king was on of the reasons why he had to abdicate in 1848. She then moved to America to become an actress. She died in poverty in 1861.

Neil Gwynne (1650-1687)
Daughter of a brothel madam Gwynne sold oranges and starred in comedies at the Dury-Lane theater before becoming a mistress to Charles II of England. She gave birth to two sons, one died young while the other became the duke of St. Albans.

Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566)
Became the mistress to Henry II of France when she was 35 and he was 16. She was actually related to Henry's wife Catherine de' Medici and not only made sure that they had sex often in order to produce a royal heir but nursed Catherine back to life when she was ill. After the king's death she was forced to leave the court and lived the rest of her life in obscurity.

Dyveke Sigbrittsdatter (1490-1517)
The mistress of Christian II of Denmark-Norway. Her mother was the political adviser to the king. When Sigbrittsdatter died the king suspected that she was poisoned and executed his liege man Torben Oxe. Oxe was a popular man amongst the nobles and his execution alienated the king from the nobles and was one of the reasons why he had to abdicate in 1523.

You missed the best of all: Madame de Maintenon (1635-1719)

Her life reads like a romance novel. Born in poverty, she used her wit, education and looks to move up in society by making herself useful to powerful people. Eventually she became governess of Louis XIV's bastard children. She also became his mistress at some point. When the Queen suddenly died, Louis married her in secret. The marriage was hidden from everyone; even Louis' brother only found out about it by surprising them in bed. She lived as the uncrowned Queen of France until Louis' death in 1715, then retired to a convent.

She's been the subject of several books, but the only movie about her is a French TV one.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

You missed the best of all: Madame de Maintenon (1635-1719)

Her life reads like a romance novel. Born in poverty, she used her wit, education and looks to move up in society by making herself useful to powerful people. Eventually she became governess of Louis XIV's bastard children. She also became his mistress at some point. When the Queen suddenly died, Louis married her in secret. The marriage was hidden from everyone; even Louis' brother only found out about it by surprising them in bed. She lived as the uncrowned Queen of France until Louis' death in 1715, then retired to a convent.

She's been the subject of several books, but the only movie about her is a French TV one.

There's an even better one, Catherine I of Russia, born a Polish peasant secretly married to Peter the Great, and then admitted to openly years later. Czar of Russia for three years following his death. She campaigned with him, travelled with him, and cared for him when he was an epileptic, rage filled mess, and even put up with his very un-Russian love of boats.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

While we're talking about Russian rulers, Olga of Kiev was my favorite.

quote:

The following account is taken from the Primary Chronicle. Princess Olga was the wife of Igor of Kiev, who was killed by the Drevlians. At the time of her husband's death, their son Svyatoslav was three years old, making Olga the official ruler of Kievan Rus until he reached adulthood. The Drevlians wanted Olga to marry their Prince Mal, making him the ruler of Kievan Rus, but Olga was determined to remain in power and preserve it for her son.

The Drevlians sent twenty of their best men to persuade Olga to marry their Prince Mal and give up her rule of Kievan Rus. She had them buried alive. Then she sent word to Prince Mal that she accepted the proposal, but required their most distinguished men to accompany her on the journey in order for her people to accept the offer of marriage. The Drevlians sent their best men who governed their land. Upon their arrival, she offered them a warm welcome and an invitation to clean up after their long journey in a bathhouse. After they entered, she locked the doors and set fire to the building, burning them alive.

With the best and wisest men out of the way, she planned to destroy the remaining Drevlians. She invited them to a funeral feast so she could mourn over her husband's grave, where her servants waited on them. After the Drevlians were drunk, Olga's soldiers killed over 5,000 of them. She returned to Kiev and prepared an army to attack the survivors. The Drevlians begged for mercy and offered to pay for their freedom with honey and furs. She asked for three pigeons and three sparrows from each house, since she did not want to burden the villagers any further after the siege. They were happy to comply with such a reasonable request.

Now Olga gave to each soldier in her army a pigeon or a sparrow, and ordered them to attach by thread to each pigeon and sparrow a piece of sulfur bound with small pieces of cloth. When night fell, Olga bade her soldiers release the pigeons and the sparrows. So the birds flew to their nests, the pigeons to the cotes, and the sparrows under the eaves. The dove-cotes, the coops, the porches, and the haymows were set on fire. There was not a house that was not consumed, and it was impossible to extinguish the flames, because all the houses caught on fire at once. The people fled from the city, and Olga ordered her soldiers to catch them. Thus she took the city and burned it, and captured the elders of the city. Some of the other captives she killed, while some she gave to others as slaves to her followers. The remnant she left to pay tribute.
:black101:

edit: oh yeah, she was later sainted by the Russian Orthodox Church. Which is why she looks so saintly in that painting, I suppose.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Dec 8, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

They hosed with the wrong Lady. :stare:

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Top Marriage Proposal FAILS

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

You can't talk about Olga of Kiev without posting this :black101: as gently caress painting

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Lord Lambeth posted:

edit: oh yeah, she was later sainted by the Russian Orthodox Church. Which is why she looks so saintly in that painting, I suppose.

Commissar Canuck posted:

You can't talk about Olga of Kiev without posting this :black101: as gently caress painting

Hahaha. Holy poo poo. Now, at some point, that stopped being a woman protecting her family and became a woman using her husband's death as a flimsy excuse to become Vlad the Impaler.

Phyzzle posted:

Top Marriage Proposal FAILS

Almost choked on my lunch reading this post. Now my office neighbors think I'm crazy. I mean, they're right, but now they know.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Commissar Canuck posted:

I want this and the story tattooed on me.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Commissar Canuck posted:

This looks like the female version of Vigo, just in time for the new lady reboot of Ghostbusters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eponine posted:

This looks like the female version of Vigo, just in time for the new lady reboot of Ghostbusters.

:thurman:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Speaking of Kievan queens, I always liked Anna of Kiev because she was disgusted by the illiteracy and (lack of) hygiene among the French nobility. If I recall correctly, she was also disappointed that there were only three courses at her wedding banquet. She was a classy lady who bathed, spoke a ton of languages, and did a decent job ruling France after Henry I died.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why on Earth would you keep doing the things she asked you to do?!?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lockback posted:

Because surely a woman wouldn't be clever enough to come up with even more murderous schemes!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

Hahaha. Holy poo poo. Now, at some point, that stopped being a woman protecting her family and became a woman using her husband's death as a flimsy excuse to become Vlad the Impaler.

I'll take a wild guess and say those aren't pearls, they're the teeth of her enemies. :black101:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Lockback posted:

Da lady just likes pretty birdies. :downs:

(Yeah, I have no idea, either. The Drevlians were apparently led by Wile E. Coyote. Maybe her plan to kill all of their smart people first worked...)

Comrade Koba posted:

I'll take a wild guess and say those aren't pearls, they're the teeth of her enemies. :black101:

Hey, bebe. drat, girl. How you doi-- OH GOD STOP KILLING ME AND EVERYONE I KNOW

Olga of Kiev's bird scheme reminds me of the American "Bat Bomb" in WWII. The idea was to drop canisters full of live bats on Japanese cities. The canister would touch off a flame just as it opened, so if it worked properly, you would have hundreds of bats, on fire, flying up on instinct into eaves for miles around. This was intended for maximum destruction of mostly wooden Japanese cities, spreading fire in a wide area and in a way that was difficult to put out. It was a plan that combined a comically unnecessary amount of cruelty toward both animals and civilians!

It was never implemented. (But the developers did gently caress up and burn down a testing facility in New Mexico. Hey, proof of concept!)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Lord Lambeth posted:

Not to be a buzz kill but, since there might be some interesting facts here anyways, she probably did not do those things exactly as written. The Christian monks who wrote about her well after the fact likely wanted to contrast her earlier pagan life, literally viking Norse or something very close, with that her of later Christian life after her conversion. In particular the monks who wrote the account were being supported by rulers of the Rurikid dynasty, the dynasty to which Olga belonged, and they wrote more broadly of the dynasty's history. This account features some (likely) polite fictions about the dynasty like the original native slavic and finnic peoples of the region peacefully requesting that Rurik, the foreign viking war-chief who would found the dynasty, become their overlord because they needed a neutral outsider who would treat everyone fairly without vested interests and thus resolve the ages old blood feuds and bring an new age of prosperity. Their account probably has some errors in the monks' own fact checking as well (e.g. using the provided birthdays and dates Olga had her first child when she was over 50) since they compiled together what was essentially part oral history, part legend at this point.

Alright let's go over a couple details with this in mind. The people Olga buried alive were written being carried into the city on top of lifted boats, they thought this gesture from Olga was meant to be an honor bestowed upon them but little did they know that the viking burial rite prominently features boats as tombs (either aflame or buried into mounds). They were all thrown into a ditch and buried alive. This type of foreshadowing, Olga doing something that a Norse person might correctly interpret but an outsider wouldn't, will be common throughout the story. IIRC The people Olga torched were also carried in by boats but were ultimately killed by fire inside a bathhouse. Later on Olga generously offered an incredible Viking-style feast with booze, in honor of her late husband, to a group of 5,000 who interpreted this as a friendly gesture not knowing that at viking funerals for very important people there would be copious human sacrifice made in the deceased's honor. All 5,000 would be this sacrifice, each one of them drunk into a stupor and easily killed. Lastly Olga originally got the pigeons and sparrows for her incendiary trick from a town she laid siege too - her request seemed odd at first "all this insane lady wants from us after the siege is 3 pigeons and 3 sparrows from every house? yeah okay I'm in" but little did they know that birds are very strongly associated with Odin (ravens in particular feature prominently in Norse iconography and other legends like the one of the Raven Banner) and that Olga would use this gift to unleash Odin's knowledge and power over the Derevlians in a fiery blaze.

You can see where the monks probably did some Norse-themed embellishments for their account, either as an conscious effort towards what we'd call dynasty propaganda or as an unconscious effort by reporting legends as truths (lots of medieval historians did that so it wouldn't be unusual) or probably a bit of both. That's not saying the whole thing is a fiction - other sources confirm that Olga's husband was grotesquely killed by the Derevlians when he was out extracting tribute from them and that Olga did exact a military reprisal on those responsible, now forcing the Derevlians to accept regular taxation as opposed to irregular tribute upon victory, which resulted in financial stability for the realm (a stability further enhanced by her conversion to Christianity to maintain better trade links to nearby Byzantium) but there's not much outside corroboration for the flashier parts of the story. Doesn't make Olga any less of a pro-tier medieval ruler though :colbert:

That being said, it's still nice to imagine that Olga enacted an elaborate Viking Funeral-themed vengeance scheme upon some fools, once upon a time :allears:

hard counter has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Dec 10, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

hard counter posted:

Not to be a buzz kill but...

Don't spoil our fun!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My favorite historical fact is that time when God killed almost everyone with a flood. poo poo was pretty crazy back then.

(although I'm being smartass, that Olga legend was actually fun and interesting)

Kennel has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Dec 9, 2015

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The legend would also require the Drevlians to be dumber than a sack of bricks. “What's that, our ambassadors to Lady Olga whose husband we've killed brutally never returned? Oh, must've been a coincidence. Why does she wish to host our best and brightest now? She's just a swell person, obviously. Oh, those thousands of people never returned as well? Too strange. And now this lady who's shown nothing but goodwill towards us wants a couple of birds per household, birds which are known to fly back, and she's massing troops around our villages? Looks quite normal to me!“ :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

System Metternich posted:

The legend would also require the Drevlians to be dumber than a sack of bricks. “What's that, our ambassadors to Lady Olga whose husband we've killed brutally never returned? Oh, must've been a coincidence. Why does she wish to host our best and brightest now? She's just a swell person, obviously. Oh, those thousands of people never returned as well? Too strange. And now this lady who's shown nothing but goodwill towards us wants a couple of birds per household, birds which are known to fly back, and she's massing troops around our villages? Looks quite normal to me!“ :v:

To be fair, they could've thought nothing of her since she was a woman with a boy too young to be a threat to them (or so they thought). This story is definitely embellished, but it's awesome and I don't think it needs a careful analysis of what is fact and what is fiction. Just enjoy it for what it is.