Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Al! posted:

what percentage of the book would you say are clearly just the author's sexual fantasies

probably under 5%. there's one or two indulgent scenes per book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you're gonna jerk off on a page over a scifi novel, ubik is a real good choice
ubik is crazy good
also unusually funny for pkd. ha ha funny.

I haven't read it yet tbh. I feel like I'm saving it for a special occasion because I've blown through most of his stuff already, but I should probably get around to it. maybe before 2016.

eh, it looks silly but the fight choreography is still dope so I'll definitely watch

this reminded me: has anyone else watched Marco Polo on Netflix? I thought the Mongolian actors were all really good (my favorite part of The Martian was when Kublai Khan showed up as head of the JPL). there's a lot of the HBO style "hey this ain't basic cable baby, check out these TITS" but what are you gonna do. a lot of the plot was really boilerplate but I enjoyed the show's aesthetic - it was a nice change of pace seeing a show where everyone from protagonists to background actors were Chinese and Central Asian. something as simple as that can make a by-the-numbers show seem fresh and enjoyable. the fight between the blind monk and the Chinese vizier where they're both doing Southern Mantis style is awesome

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

indigi posted:

I'm reading the Cyberiad and it's good. I really have no idea how Lem's sense of silliness translates so well from Russian, from the cold war era, or from the USSR. he's like a jolly Soviet Philip K Dick. they're all really fun, and have titles like "How Trurl Built a Femfatalatron to Save Prince Pantagoon from the Pangs of Love, and How Later He Resorted to a Cannonade of Babies"

Lem was Polish and wrote in Polish

Czech your privilege :colbert:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

indigi posted:

this reminded me: has anyone else watched Marco Polo on Netflix? I thought the Mongolian actors were all really good (my favorite part of The Martian was when Kublai Khan showed up as head of the JPL). there's a lot of the HBO style "hey this ain't basic cable baby, check out these TITS" but what are you gonna do. a lot of the plot was really boilerplate but I enjoyed the show's aesthetic - it was a nice change of pace seeing a show where everyone from protagonists to background actors were Chinese and Central Asian. something as simple as that can make a by-the-numbers show seem fresh and enjoyable. the fight between the blind monk and the Chinese vizier where they're both doing Southern Mantis style is awesome

i watched a bunch of episodes while drunk once. being drunk didn't help, it comes across as a soap opera attempting to be dark and edgy.

the show definitely looked good, but the plot was just banal and the pacing didn't help any

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 8, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

axolotl farmer posted:

Lem was Polish and wrote in Polish

Czech your privilege :colbert:

it's all russian to me comrade.

except when it's german, i guess

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

infernal machines posted:

i watched a bunch of episodes while drunk once. being drunk didn't help, it comes across as a soap opera attempting to be dark and edgy.

the show definitely looked good, but the plot was just banal and the pacing didn't help any

Yeah it looked cool at first but the plot was banal and it was hard to care about a lot of the characters, including the protagonist.

The foot binding scene was pretty gnarly though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Marco and the princess he had a boner for were definitely the least interesting characters by far

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/red-mars-spike-series-order-1201656112/

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

aaaaaaaaaaaaa i want this so bad but why is spike tv doing it

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
current prefect status: the cop who is a literal pig does some trivial sql queries. the newby cj makes a house call to a furry dorm, may have just been pressganged into a fur pile. find out next chapter

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Gus Hobbleton posted:

current prefect status: the cop who is a literal pig does some trivial sql queries. the newby cj makes a house call to a furry dorm, may have just been pressganged into a fur pile. find out next chapter

talia's got a few more patches to install so unfortunately she can't stay, on to the steampunk orbital.

also, a reminder that this exists:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Tanith posted:

talia's got a few more patches to install so unfortunately she can't stay, on to the steampunk orbital.

also, a reminder that this exists:

probably some prog metal band since there cant be any rhythm

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

DiggityDoink posted:

probably some prog metal band since there cant be any rhythm

toto cover band, actually

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the music choice is terrible and drags down what could be a rad trailer

i really want this to work

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I don't. Crouching tiger does not need a sequel. Also a sequel to a Chinese movie written and produced by Americans in english is tacky.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
Fargo continues to be the best show on television

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ol qwerty bastard posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaa i want this so bad but why is spike tv doing it

special guest jon taffer

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Amethyst posted:

I don't. Crouching tiger does not need a sequel. Also a sequel to a Chinese movie written and produced by Americans in english is tacky.

i want to see an asian women in her 50s as an action star in a movie, that's bad rear end

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

also, a generic 50-year old asian woman is a much more plausible action hero than a generic 50-year old white man.

just sayin'.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah, see, here's your problem. tap tap

you've got a load of good ideas here, and some verifiable fact, but see these little sarcastic rhetorical questions? the use of "hint" followed by a colon? that science-fetishy smell - you'd think it's just XKCD corrosion, think it'll wipe off with a damp cloth, but nah, you've got a full-fledged Stross going here.

real bastard to shift. i'll give you two fifty for it for parts, and that's because i like you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

i want to see an asian women in her 50s as an action star in a movie, that's bad rear end

yeah I just want to see cool fights and a middle aged Asian lady kick all sorts of buttocks

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Amethyst posted:

I also disliked The Forever War

in that case I have some Piers Anthony books I think you'll enjoy

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Davethulhu posted:

in that case I have some Peter F. Hamilton books I think you'll enjoy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gus Hobbleton posted:

What exactly are you reading here, best of furaffinity?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

SynthOrange posted:

the fascist orbital, futurama heads-in-jars orbital, the furry orbital and the steampunk orbital all get loving torn to shreds by robots :ssh:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

duTrieux. posted:

do this but w/ an elderly inuit woman using a shitknife to rescue her babies from a residential school and i will personally watch it 10 times

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SynthOrange posted:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Amethyst posted:

The original movie was an adaptation of book 3 of a five book series.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I think I made it to the chapter where the one villain was explaining the plan to the other villain and then stopped reading The Prefect because it was so bad.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what did you do instead?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is Philip K Dick the best? I don't know that I'd number any of his novels among my absolute favorites, but when it comes to sheer volume of top-quality output I think he's peerless. I've never read a PKD short or novel that I didn't thoroughly enjoy on some level

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

indigi posted:

is Philip K Dick the best? I don't know that I'd number any of his novels among my absolute favorites, but when it comes to sheer volume of top-quality output I think he's peerless. I've never read a PKD short or novel that I didn't thoroughly enjoy on some level
i think the thread's official favorite author is iain m. banks with vonnegut as the runner-up, somehow

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 10, 2015

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
drat puppies

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
because god forbid you have the temerity to enjoy a james sa corey book

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
redemption ark is more immediately engaging than revelation space; so far, so good.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i think the thread's official favorite author is iain m. banks with vonnegut as the runner-up, somehow

you could switch the order on that and i'd agree

but pkd is the shizz as well

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

syscall girl posted:

you could switch the order on that and i'd agree
oh of course vonnegut's better but he's not the one that gets ten-page derails creaming over him every other week

he gets them maybe once a month

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i did not like revelation space

oh, here's this machine and it's got a computer in it that can do anything because whatever it's the future technology is just magic who cares

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh, ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
rear end in a top hat space archaeologist and gently caress YOU CYBERDAD are still one of favorite character pairs.

it is ok if other people do not like revelation space, I'm pretty sure the goon favorite reynolds book is house of suns anyway

• Locked thread