Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rip star wars, killed by fyad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

well nobody tries to talk about comic books here, but there's no sci-fi on tv any more so it all ends up being superhero chat

the expanse is gonna be awesome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's hoping. the pilot was a little shakey, but considering it's a syfy original, better than expected

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

i like zero cool sherlock and now john noble is on it too and i like that

i tried watching that but I didn't like how Watson was more of a sidekick than a partner

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

indigi posted:

I went looking for some info about this but all I found was a long essay from 1975 where Lem basically says PKD is (was) the only American SF writer doing anything worthwhile with the medium and jerks off about Ubik for several paragraphs

lmao, i'd never really considered van Vogt to be anything approaching contemporary to PKD

or even in the same genre

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

While we're on it, The Forever War is long and boring (we get it, vietnam IN SPACE)

i don't think you finished the book

only like the first third is vietnam in space. that is really not what the book is about. the remaining two thirds are about what vietnam has done to us. what forever warring is doing to us.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

indigi posted:

I went looking for some info about this but all I found was a long essay from 1975 where Lem basically says PKD is (was) the only American SF writer doing anything worthwhile with the medium and jerks off about Ubik for several paragraphs

if you're gonna jerk off on a page over a scifi novel, ubik is a real good choice

ubik is crazy good

also unusually funny for pkd. ha ha funny.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
forever warring turns people gay

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Shaggar posted:

i tried watching that but I didn't like how Watson was more of a sidekick than a partner

well the first season she's learning to be a detective but by season 3 she's doing her own thing and is nearly as good at detecting as sherlock

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

forever warring turns people gay

and then they call straight people queers

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i mean, there's only s much you can do with a crime show where the mystery has to be introduced and solved in 42 minutes except for the mid season and season finale 2 parters

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
and given that Psych has thoroughly explored every instance of those 42 minutes,

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

JawnV6 posted:

lmao, i'd never really considered van Vogt to be anything approaching contemporary to PKD

or even in the same genre

Van Vogt was a critics' punching bag during peak PKD years.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

and given that Psych has thoroughly explored every instance of those 42 minutes,

all the usa shows except burn notice were to cutesy imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

well the first season she's learning to be a detective but by season 3 she's doing her own thing and is nearly as good at detecting as sherlock

maybe i'll give it another try. I thought his Sherlock was ok

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

indigi posted:

I'm reading the Cyberiad and it's good. I really have no idea how Lem's sense of silliness translates so well from Russian, from the cold war era, or from the USSR. he's like a jolly Soviet Philip K Dick. they're all really fun, and have titles like "How Trurl Built a Femfatalatron to Save Prince Pantagoon from the Pangs of Love, and How Later He Resorted to a Cannonade of Babies"

The translation seems to be insanely good. How did the poems come across so well? the rhymes are amazing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no it won't, the source material is garbage and the pilot was boring crap

there, I managed to accurately poo poo on both a TV show and some books in one quality post.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Syfy's Childhood's End miniseries airs next week. I looked at the cast and it seems to be mainly Australians pretending to be Americans with exactly one black person and one Asian person. (But the black guy does end up being the last human alive.) I suppose they'll compress the plot because the book takes place over more than 100 years. Maybe it won't be awful?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhvxJZDqzU

this looks insanely bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'll just save everyone the trouble, the only good sci-fi on TV is Black Mirror and Rick and Morty.

That is an exhaustive list, if it's not mentioned there it's poo poo, so don't ask

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

jesus christ netflix you dont have to geenlight every half baked sequel idea

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
are they trying to reanimate tom fogerty through sheer force of indignity

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think you finished the book

only like the first third is vietnam in space. that is really not what the book is about. the remaining two thirds are about what vietnam has done to us. what forever warring is doing to us.

wow, sounds exciting... *falls asleep*

see, only the first part of the book is vietnam in space, while the second and third are about vietname, IN SPACE, but, what if it went on longer?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

wow, sounds exciting... *falls asleep*

see, only the first part of the book is vietnam in space, while the second and third are about vietname, IN SPACE, but, what if it went on longer?

Kirk posted:

choke on cum, maggot

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Respect.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I also disliked The Forever War

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Has anyone else read these?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tanith posted:

i read the first one and it was pretty cool

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tanith posted:

No, but I might be convinced to read the first one. It is a genuine tour de force, after all, and its title consists entirely of words.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you liked mcmullen you might also like fitzpatrick's war

i don't know how much background i can give without giving away the whole game, but the heart of it is a critical "modern" editor looking back 300 years at a 1st person memoir/expose about a beloved 24th century fascist leader

of course the fascist leader came out of a truly lovely society, and the social mores and attitudes of both the editor (who never shuts up with footnotes) and the characters described are interesting

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im the calculor

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Amethyst posted:

I also disliked The Forever War

perhaps you would prefer one of the sequels?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
reading some random mil sci fi from the pile and elizabeth moon's trading in danger was surprisingly good, I was just expecting a time filler since virtually all offerings are schlock

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2015/12/science-fictional-shibboleths.html

not a bad little article

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

at the date posted:

No, but I might be convinced to read the first one. It is a genuine tour de force, after all, and its title consists entirely of words.

there's a lot of failed attempts to address drastic climate change that have serious effects on people still alive after another serious war, and something periodically sweeps over the earth compelling all large mammals (including humans) to walk towards the ocean, and if they get too close to the coast they continue mindlessly into the surf or off cliffs and die. a young girl escapes her backwater australian town to go join the firearm-toting librarians who are the only people in the area who've kept their poo poo together. her boyfriend she meets in town gets swept up in the head librarian's ends justify the means plot to get the world's poo poo together by creating a bitcoin miner of men with abaci. protagonist/antagonist is complicated, but like the rest of the world, everyone is in everyone else's way.

the sequel is about a bunch of city state enclaves in the rocky mountains that've brought back feudalism with knights in WWI-tech airplanes fueled by corn ethanol tithed from the peasants. there're no horses left in america.

in an attempt to bring these two together, the last book is about the impracticalities of facilitating a transcontinental machine guns-for-horses exchange and expands upon the consequences and racism involving an old human genetic engineering project.

spoilers by increasing silliness:
there are satellites that will orbital laser most electromagnetic fields and 500+kph objects, so artificially-enforced medievalism's a thing.
the earth's reflective ring, mirrorsun, has not always been there and is in fact a semi-failed japanese solar shade meant to help ameliorate global warming, supplied by robot miners on the moon, only one of which successfully launched before the global catastrophe knocked everyone on their rear end. unfortunately now it's finally reached the point where it's going to deploy and it's a bit late for that following a slightly nuclear winter.
the ring reaches critical mass and starts a war with the satellites. the ring wins. the ring, which is sentient at this point, decides to procreate and sends a baby ring off to hang out around venus and see if it's a neat place for a halo.
the boyfriend gets reincarnated as a female and goes nuts with gender dysphoria and takes up murder-crossfit to kill the people who put the body's original inhabitant into a coma
ruin everything:
humans unleashed a psychic warrior whale from a frozen block of ice which contrived its own escape and went on to teach all whales how to gently caress with people's heads and avenge themselves for all of humanity's injustices to the ocean and marine life. birds are immune to this so scientists spliced bird DNA into people to make them immune from the psychosexual attraction projected by the whales to compel all large mammals to walk like zombies towards the sea and their inevitable death. we eventually learn to talk to the whales and they stop, BUT NO FISHING IN THE OCEAN EVER AGAIN YOU ASSHOLES.

Al! posted:

im the calculor

you will be :getin:

Tanith fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 8, 2015

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Jesus

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

I got the first one at a library because I didn't know what to pick and I said "gently caress it, I like john harris' pictures." I had no idea what the hell I was getting into.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what percentage of the book would you say are clearly just the author's sexual fantasies

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

I'll just save everyone the trouble, the only good sci-fi on TV is Black Mirror and Rick and Morty.

That is an exhaustive list, if it's not mentioned there it's poo poo, so don't ask

a good list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i've been going through ian banks's non-SF books as i come across them at the library. just finished The Quarry, which is about a guy dying of cancer and his messed-up friends. didn't know it when i started, but that was banks's last book before he died of pancreatic cancer, published posthumously. :spooky::smith:

• Locked thread