Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Well, it isn't gawdy anymore because some thieving gently caress in St. Albert stole their lights last night. :mad:

What a douchebag. loving St. Albert is the Stepford Wivesest place in Alberta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'll second that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

No arguments here either, but only because neither Priddis or De Winton are real towns :colbert:

There is a gently caress-ton of blue hairs in St. Albert though, holy smokes. I thought Lethbridge has more than our share (we do) but man, St. Albert has got to be close behind.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

St Albert is basically the more redneck version of Victoria. Home of the newly wed and nearly dead.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

De Winton is loving McMansion central. Which is funny because I know a some people that live just on the outskirts of it, it wasn't until this spring that I realized just how generic and soulless that place is.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

drat, son!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So you want to know what makes my folks day even worse after waking up to find out their stuff was stolen?

A good friend of the family, one of stepdads best friends, a super good guy barely 50 years old had a an absolute freak accident and died today. Slipped and fell down the stairs in his own house and suffered severe and irreparable brain damage.

50 is pretty god drat old as balls when you're in your teens and 20s, but trust me, when you start pushing 40 it doesn't seem that far away.

Remember, you never know when it's your day to punch out so live your life. Have fun, make sure people know how much you care about them and leave no regrets. You can't ever be 100% positive you're going to be around tomorrow.

And make sure your family knows you are OK being an organ donor in case something like this happens. If you are that is, and hopefully you are.

/serious post

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ground is writhing with baby earthworms in the middle of god drat December.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some wet loving sleet out there today. God drat I'm cold.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
St Albert is full of criminals

And rotary nerds

But mostly criminals

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

So you want to know what makes my folks day even worse after waking up to find out their stuff was stolen?

A good friend of the family, one of stepdads best friends, a super good guy barely 50 years old had a an absolute freak accident and died today. Slipped and fell down the stairs in his own house and suffered severe and irreparable brain damage.

50 is pretty god drat old as balls when you're in your teens and 20s, but trust me, when you start pushing 40 it doesn't seem that far away.

Remember, you never know when it's your day to punch out so live your life. Have fun, make sure people know how much you care about them and leave no regrets. You can't ever be 100% positive you're going to be around tomorrow.

And make sure your family knows you are OK being an organ donor in case something like this happens. If you are that is, and hopefully you are.

/serious post

As someone who went down some polished marble stairs in Mexico and then had a brother who went down my house stairs TWICE in 15 minutes, please people, be careful on stairs. They are NOT natural.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

And rotary nerds

But mostly criminals

I wonder which is higher per capita - criminals in St. Albert or zoophiles in Spruce Grove? :iiam:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I grew up in St. Albert, but I got better.

And live in Edmonton, so it's not THAT much better.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

And rotary nerds

But mostly criminals

The two are not mutually exclusive.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

El Scotch posted:

Are Alberta traffic act and city bylaw noise violations a criminal offense?

What about best motoring bootlegs?

Catless fire spewing RX's probably are... :ohdear:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

El Scotch posted:

Agreed

*casts baleful eye northwards*

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I wonder which is higher per capita - criminals in St. Albert or zoophiles in Spruce Grove? :iiam:

Zoophilia is a beautiful gesture between man and animal, so stop kinkshaming cisbigot

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrakeriderCa posted:

Zoophilia is a beautiful gesture between man and animal, so stop kinkshaming cisbigot

I had to look up wtf zoophilia was. Dogs have ugly boners why would anyone put that in their mouth ?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Why the gently caress do nerds like half the hosed up poo poo they do?

:iiam:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Someone needs to buy this.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1982-amc-eagle-coupe-2-door/1121669171?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

4x4 - check
brown - check
I6 - check
manual - check
runs - check

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy gently caress I want that so loving bad. That's too much money though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, it's probably worth it, but they come up every once in a while for $1000 with an extra parts car.

My punishment for being a lazy rear end in a top hat and not getting some mudflaps on the truck when it was warm and sunny out. Got off the highway this morning and my door was hard frozen shut.

The wheels pack the door jam with snow and there's a lot for it to grip to on both sides.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Someone needs to buy this.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1982-amc-eagle-coupe-2-door/1121669171?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

4x4 - check
brown - check
I6 - check
manual - check
runs - check

Let's buy it for ssswitch.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Yeah, it's probably worth it, but they come up every once in a while for $1000 with an extra parts car.

My punishment for being a lazy rear end in a top hat and not getting some mudflaps on the truck when it was warm and sunny out. Got off the highway this morning and my door was hard frozen shut.

The wheels pack the door jam with snow and there's a lot for it to grip to on both sides.

Did you use the jaws of life to pry it open ? Wtf !

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Who wants to get in on the Doritos game? To celebrate new tool day - free rotary compression tests for AI members! ($100 for everyone else)

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Haha, drat son

You're going to have to put up a Mazda sign on the lawn of your new place pretty soon

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That looks pretty drat sweet.

One day far far down the road I'd like to get a NSU Ro80. I really should get an Rx-7 so I have some decent working knowledge on doritos before I go off the deep end.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Did you use the jaws of life to pry it open ? Wtf !

Took about 4 full weight shoulder hits.

got the whole area coated with pam for now.

Found this on row 52.

http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/RND3Rud1bHonpvDbnrGVglC9f

RIP bitchin little mazda coupe.

~2100lbs, front engine, rear wheel drive, pillarless coupe. pretty much the perfect car if they weren't flexible as hell and only like 70hp.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Probably can get away with 70hp given the weight of those things. 35 years of rust on a mazda pillarless coupe would be rough though. That thing probably has the structural rigidity of a bowl of Mr Noodle, the drivetrain is probably the only thing holding it together.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Probably can get away with 70hp given the weight of those things. 35 years of rust on a mazda pillarless coupe would be rough though. That thing probably has the structural rigidity of a bowl of Mr Noodle, the drivetrain is probably the only thing holding it together.

"structural fuel lines"

still, they're good looking little buggies.

There are 10-15 "go=karts" at CPA tomorrow, and they're listed by their racecar number. lots 991-upThere's a 99% chance they're dinky little plastic shits for roadside tourist garbage, but there's still that 1% chance that they're something good. I probably won't be able to make it though and they don't have pics on their website.

Even if they are crappy, it would be a shame to miss out on a batch of $30 go-karts. we could have an awesome ABAI one-make race series.

Also, guess who's going to be able to get into the garage within the first 5 attempts. :smug:

103 load index M+S all seasons. Not whitewall, but otherwise the right tire for the car. I can't wait to safely drive that boat in anger without fear of 30 year old tires returning themselves to nature.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

There are 10-15 "go=karts" at CPA tomorrow, and they're listed by their racecar number. lots 991-upThere's a 99% chance they're dinky little plastic shits for roadside tourist garbage, but there's still that 1% chance that they're something good. I probably won't be able to make it though and they don't have pics on their website.

Even if they are crappy, it would be a shame to miss out on a batch of $30 go-karts. we could have an awesome ABAI one-make race series.

:stare:

What time? If I could use any parts off them for mine I'd probably be willing to buy one or two.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

:stare:

What time? If I could use any parts off them for mine I'd probably be willing to buy one or two.

based on the lot number, i'm going to ballpark it around noon-1pm. there's online bidding, but there's not even a picture of them on the website which makes it super duper risky. logic suggests they're going to be 30 years old and look like this. There's still that super slim chance they might be awesome.

I didn't go to michener allen on saturday because there was really only 1 car of interest, a 93 lincoln mark VIII with 177k on it. It went for $300 and now i have to sit here convincing myself that there must have been something horribly wrong with it, like it was spitting park plugs at auction goers and a tire fell off on it's way through.

edit: $300 dollars, i loving hate myself.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Better things await.

Like that one Lincoln that was based on the Ford Taurus but had a V8, seriously how did that thing not torque steer itself into another dimension?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Even a turd is rounded at both ends.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I made it up to my first Michener Allen last Saturday. Left Lethbridge at 5:30 on less than an hour of sleep, all jacked up about potentially getting a sweet new ride, drove for 90 minutes through a neverending sea of fog that didn't let up all the way from Coalhurst to the Deerfoot/Macleod Trail turnoff. So the drive was poo poo, and then when I got there I realized I didn't bring a warm enough coat, food, or cash with which to buy food. gently caress.

Had my heart set on the blacked-out 2007 G35 coupe that was listed as shiftable automatic but was actually standard, watched it roll up onto the lot, the auctioneer started at $10k, went down in $1000 increments until it hit $1k, and right as I was putting my number up to start the bidding some idiot shouted "Eight thousand dollars!" WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?! I mean, that's still a decent price, but for all he knew he could have been the only bidder and needlessly pissed $7000 away. I think it went for $9k+ but it was already out of my range at that point.

At the same time I'm kicking myself for watching a 2003ish BMW 750li go for $4500 as the 2nd or 3rd car to roll up through the C bay, but I hadn't done ANY research on it in advance nor did I want to blow my load in the first five minutes of the day if it meant I'd miss my chance at the G35 being obtainable later on.

My takeaway from this experience is holy gently caress I need to do some serious research next time and jump on a deal when I see one. In the back of my mind I hypothesize that if I can manage jump on a sweet deal every auction, flip it in the local market down here, and repeat that process five or six times until the classic car auction then maybe I could use the money I got flipping to fund a bitchin' old Trans Am. :allears:

All in all I had a good time and got to hang out with my long lost brother for the first time in both of our lives. It was kind of a surreal day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Handen posted:

Had my heart set on the blacked-out 2007 G35 coupe that was listed as shiftable automatic but was actually standard, watched it roll up onto the lot, the auctioneer started at $10k, went down in $1000 increments until it hit $1k, and right as I was putting my number up to start the bidding some idiot shouted "Eight thousand dollars!" WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?! I mean, that's still a decent price, but for all he knew he could have been the only bidder and needlessly pissed $7000 away. I think it went for $9k+ but it was already out of my range at that point.

Hilarious. That was my first auto auction too. Two Somalian mechanics in the front got into a penny-ante bidding war on an SX4 and then some random soccer dad hopped in on it for a car for his little girl with like a $2500 jump to his max budget, and ended up paying over loving Kijiji.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Trip report: got out of bed at 0415, woke up the ol lady and got on the road at 445, fuel/coffee at Petrocan then headed south. Had to stop in the middle of Edmonton for a bank draft and wait until 1100 for the bank to open (on a Sunday)

Edmonton to Linden was a nightmare. Waze GPS is a loving miracle and detoured me around a poo poo ton of accidents. The highway was frozen rain. I'm doing 100 with a 7000lb truck and a car hauler, and assholes are climbing up on my tail as we pass groups of 5 vehicles in the ditches. Made it to Linden, checked out the vehicle. A CTS4 with DI engine, sport suspension, performance brake package (14" rotors) and 20k lower miles than the ad stated. Paint is 8/10, interior 9/10.

Had to make some ramps for the ramps and told the trailer deck by putting the truck axle up on ramps. Luckily I anticipated that ahead of time. Chaining it down wasn't so easy. The chains were meant for hauling a big loader so they ended up being way way too long, as well as the turnbuckle hook things. Ended up anchoring it with a single chain up front, backing up until it was tense then securing the rear with 2x 10,000lb ratchet straps.

Took the back highways north bypassing red deer and Edmonton, to Mayerthorpe and then 43 home. 1500km, arrived at 1am or so.

Averaged 21L/100km. Not bad for a 5.7L gasser towing 6500lbs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What's the best Bro Truck Accessory Haus to get retina searing auxiliary driving lights? Or am I better off looking online despite the dollar being complete garbage? My $30 princess auto lights aren't cutting it for gravel roads anymore unfortunately.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fort Garry/Traction/Fleet Brake will be closer to online prices than to the bro-depots. PA has also picked up the Uni-Bond LED driving lights, but I'm not sure if they're priced better or worse than the HD part stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

What's the best Bro Truck Accessory Haus to get retina searing auxiliary driving lights? Or am I better off looking online despite the dollar being complete garbage? My $30 princess auto lights aren't cutting it for gravel roads anymore unfortunately.

eBay has Cree knockoff lightbars out the wazoo.