Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azhais posted:

Fallout 3:
Dad: "I'm somewhere outside of your vault doing cool poo poo. You absolutely should not leave the vault to come find me." "gently caress YOU DAD, I'M COMING FOR YOUR COOL poo poo"

e: and this is just some rose coloured glasses or something here anyway, fallout 3 provided more backstory than any of them for your character given that you had to play through growing up even, and on top of it all half the dialogue choices along the main quest line are all "have you seen this man, I'm looking for my dad"

The evolution of this has been loving hilarious to watch. From the initial 'UGH I can't believe how much this game tries to force you to give a poo poo about your Dad' to comparing it to FO4 and, with a straight face, saying it is any different at all. It illustrates rather neatly just how garbage these sort of hot takes really are, in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

djfooboo posted:

So there is DLC somewhere in the pipeline. I looked back at FO3 and Skyrim DLC and it kinda sucks. Why would anyone purchase a season pass?

what

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

djfooboo posted:

So there is DLC somewhere in the pipeline. I looked back at FO3 and Skyrim DLC and it kinda sucks. Why would anyone purchase a season pass?

Some of it is good and some of it is bad, either way the DLC for both those things were extremely popular and people liked at least some of it A LOT.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

djfooboo posted:

I thought the DLC for both ranged from ok to quite good, so I guess your question is "why are there people who are not me?" which isn't really answerable.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Quantum Cat posted:

If you don't mind going into it what build would you suggest for that?

I have high strength/endurance/agility. I don't like wearing power armor so Medic is huge. The chem perks are also huge. Melee is dope everyone should do it. It's a shame unarmed sucks in this one. Number one thing I want in a DLC is to bring back the ballistic fist.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Honestly 2 is still the worst with you literally getting psychic dreams to yell at you to get the GECK at regular intervals to make sure you didn't forget the children's lives are in your hands.

At least the psychic dreams are someone else giving you poo poo. In F4 it's the main character saying, without the player even selecting a dialogue option, "I will avenge you, wife, and I will find our baby son"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NecroMonster posted:

So, cool as hell thing, it turns out that jet increases your jump distance by some sort of hysterical amount. You can absolutely loving SAIL through the air on some jet.
Yeah I popped some jet then someone threw a grenade at me once, and I leapt like thirty feet through the air to get away, it was kind of shocking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azhais posted:

Look, the vault dweller has a certain set of skills

Not anymore!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Yeah I popped some jet then someone threw a grenade at me once, and I leapt like thirty feet through the air to get away, it was kind of shocking.

I would play a Fallout version of Crackdown so much.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I'm going off the descriptions on Steam, seem lackluster to me if I am expected to pay 30 bucks.

Fallout 3

Operation: Anchorage - Enter a military simulation and fight in the liberation of Anchorage, Alaska from its Chinese Communist invaders.

The Pitt - Travel to the post-apocalyptic remains of Pittsburgh and become embroiled in a conflict between slaves and their Raider masters.

Broken Steel - Increase your level cap to 30, and finish the fight against the Enclave remnants alongside Liberty Prime.

Point Lookout - Embark on a mysterious and open-ended adventure in a huge, murky swampland along the coast of Maryland.

Mothership Zeta - Defy hostile alien abductors and fight your way off of the alien mothership, orbiting miles above the Capital Wasteland.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Skyrim

Dawnguard - The Vampire Lord Harkon has returned to power. By using the Elder Scrolls, he seeks to do the unthinkable - to end the sun itself. Will you join the ancient order of the Dawnguard and stop him? Or will you become a Vampire Lord? In Dawnguard, the ultimate choice will be yours.

Hearthfire - Purchase land and build your own home from the ground up - from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to turn stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.

Dragonborn - Journey off the coast of Morrowind, to the vast island of Solstheim. Traverse the ash wastes and glacial valleys of this new land as you become more powerful with shouts that bend the will of your enemies and even tame dragons. Your fate, and the fate of Solstheim, hangs in the balance as you face off against your deadliest adversary – the first Dragonborn.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Up until 4 you just played a character that you largely made up. Most of the characterisation was up to the player, except for some broad-strokes stuff like your occupation.

New Vegas made you a courier, ok. FO4 gave you a specific wife with a specific name, a son named Shaun, a job, a speaking engagement at the legion, etc.

Honestly the game would have been better executed if they'd gone the rest of the way and assigned you a name and face. The Shaun crap would have fit because Johnny Fallout, blando armyman protagonist, really cares about Shaun even if you don't.

The problem is that they compromised between two incompatible schools of design. He never feels like your personal character, because every dialogue reminds you that he's the whitest dork alive. There's enough world there to develop a story organically, but then they stapled the main quest on and it's jarring.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In NV you start the game with a quest to find who shot you that leads you straight to the platinum chip/robot army quests.

The only difference in NV is you can ignore it entirely and murder everyone for the NCR - even Wild Card basically gets you back on the plot tracks.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its definitely dumb to get the season pass now when you have no idea knowing which DLC is Old World Blues and which ones are Mothership Zeta, but if people wanted to get it then that is their choice to make.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gravy Jones posted:

Fallout 4 possibly has the least star-studded voice cast of all the main Fallout titles. Either that or 2. It's a big change in direction from the how all-out they went in 3 and New Vegas (and Morrowind and Skyrim for that matter).
And yet they managed to both retain Ron Perlman and then not use him in the opening monologue, AND THEN rub your face in it by having him by the loving guy on TV during the opening tutorials.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
NV: Oh poo poo, dude, you almost got murdered. You need to get to New Vegas RIGHT now to find that guy, he has a chip or something! GO!

FO4: They just murdered my wife/husband and took my son. Oh well, [roleplay]I regretted having a kid anyway and felt trapped in that marriage. Oh wow, a wasteland, now i can be the biggest sociopath I ever wanted. Perhaps I'll go look for my son anyway[/roleplay].

Wow, look how I totally turned that around. If you just use your imagination to change the story a bit, you can be whatever the gently caress you want and not poo poo up a thread for pages and pages whining about backstory.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crabtree posted:

Its definitely dumb to get the season pass now when you have no idea knowing which DLC is Old World Blues and which ones are Mothership Zeta, but if people wanted to get it then that is their choice to make.

It's somewhat dumb to buy anything before it's out because they could do literally anything but besthedia DLC has generally been more good than bad in general reviews and the season pass is a cheaper way to buy it all than buying it piecemeal.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Are there any settlements with cats? I'm trying to replicate the 'crazy cat lady' experience of living alone in an old shack surrounded by dozens of cats, but no luck so far.

coyo7e posted:

I've gone over this before...

Fallout 1:
overseer: "Everybody's going to die of thirst, GTFO and go find one."

Fallout 2:
village: "Your ancestor did something cool, now GTFO and do something like that, because we could die."

Fallout Tactics:
BoS: "We crashed the blimp and we don't have enough recruits to self-sustain. Go do missions and recruit people."

Fallout: BoS
BoS: "We are losing people - go find them!"

Fallout 3:
Dad: "I'm somewhere outside of your vault, doing cool poo poo. You ought to come find me and the cool poo poo."

Fallout NV:
the wide world: "You got shot and left for dead, and don't know who you are, or why you got shot. Go have fun!"

Fallout 4:
Codsworth: "I SIMPLY CANNOT BELIEVE THAT SHAUN IS MISSING AND YOUR SPOUSE WAS MURDERED IN FRONT OF YOU WHILE YOU WATCHED IMPOTENTLY - WE MUST FIND HIM IMMEDIATELY SIR/MISS, LET ME ACCOMPANY YOU AND TURN ON MY FLAMETHROWER SETTING!!!"

one of these things is not like the others. That's my entire point. It's not a dealbreaker but it really is a glaring dissonance in the game series' writing and motivations in literally every other iteration of the game, ever.

Ooh, I know! You wrote one in all caps!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Unfortunately I felt compelled to write one in caps, as the reading comprehension level in this thread hasn't given me much faith in people managing to misunderstand something fairly obvious.

Magmarashi posted:

The evolution of this has been loving hilarious to watch. From the initial 'UGH I can't believe how much this game tries to force you to give a poo poo about your Dad' to comparing it to FO4 and, with a straight face, saying it is any different at all. It illustrates rather neatly just how garbage these sort of hot takes really are, in the end.
As the guy who wrote the OPs for and read every single post about Fallout 3 in those threads for a couple years straight, I can tell you that this is utter bullshit. Nobody cared about the dad character or motivations outside of "wow they got Liam Nieson to VA, this will probably go badly." I mean I literally read every post, and there were hundreds of thousands of posts between the multiple iterations fo the thread...

Never saw what you're talking about, sorry!

Maybe it was in the modding thread?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
No matter what you do in fallout 1 you marry a person named Pat at the end.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
fuckin coyo7e, throwin his caps around like he lives in the upper stands

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tokelau All Star posted:

I have high strength/endurance/agility. I don't like wearing power armor so Medic is huge. The chem perks are also huge. Melee is dope everyone should do it. It's a shame unarmed sucks in this one. Number one thing I want in a DLC is to bring back the ballistic fist.
I started a character which would be melee/unarmed and the "unarmed" bit lasted for about thirty seconds before I realized how much more useful it is to have a razorblade-studded baseball bat, or a legendary weapon you can consistently find before 30th level.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

djfooboo posted:

I'm going off the descriptions on Steam, seem lackluster to me if I am expected to pay 30 bucks.

Fallout 3

Operation: Anchorage - Enter a military simulation and fight in the liberation of Anchorage, Alaska from its Chinese Communist invaders.

The Pitt - Travel to the post-apocalyptic remains of Pittsburgh and become embroiled in a conflict between slaves and their Raider masters.

Broken Steel - Increase your level cap to 30, and finish the fight against the Enclave remnants alongside Liberty Prime.

Point Lookout - Embark on a mysterious and open-ended adventure in a huge, murky swampland along the coast of Maryland.

Mothership Zeta - Defy hostile alien abductors and fight your way off of the alien mothership, orbiting miles above the Capital Wasteland.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Skyrim

Dawnguard - The Vampire Lord Harkon has returned to power. By using the Elder Scrolls, he seeks to do the unthinkable - to end the sun itself. Will you join the ancient order of the Dawnguard and stop him? Or will you become a Vampire Lord? In Dawnguard, the ultimate choice will be yours.

Hearthfire - Purchase land and build your own home from the ground up - from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to turn stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.

Dragonborn - Journey off the coast of Morrowind, to the vast island of Solstheim. Traverse the ash wastes and glacial valleys of this new land as you become more powerful with shouts that bend the will of your enemies and even tame dragons. Your fate, and the fate of Solstheim, hangs in the balance as you face off against your deadliest adversary – the first Dragonborn.

Did you buy Fallout 4 based on its thrilling four-sentence description? "As the sole survivor of Vault 111, you enter a world destroyed by nuclear war. Every second is a fight for survival, and every choice is yours. Only you can rebuild and determine the fate of the Wasteland. Welcome home."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

moths posted:

Honestly the game would have been better executed if they'd gone the rest of the way and assigned you a name and face. The Shaun crap would have fit because Johnny Fallout, blando armyman protagonist, really cares about Shaun even if you don't.

The problem is that they compromised between two incompatible schools of design. He never feels like your personal character, because every dialogue reminds you that he's the whitest dork alive. There's enough world there to develop a story organically, but then they stapled the main quest on and it's jarring.
This is so well stated, thank you for saying it better than I could.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Codsworth: "I SIMPLY CANNOT BELIEVE THAT SHAUN IS MISSING AND YOUR SPOUSE WAS MURDERED IN FRONT OF YOU WHILE YOU WATCHED IMPOTENTLY - WE MUST FIND HIM IMMEDIATELY SIR/MISS, LET ME ACCOMPANY YOU AND TURN ON MY FLAMETHROWER SETTING!!!"

Are you ever forced to talk to Codsworth and get him as a companion?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

djfooboo posted:

Dragonborn - Journey off the coast of Morrowind, to the vast island of Solstheim.

This is all you really need to know about Skyrim DLC.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Hey, do I get to hire a Mexican ghoul handyman in this game? Asking for an IRL Mexican ghoul (me)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

frajaq posted:

You're not forced to talk to anybody in the game so your entire comment comes across as a :spergin: "well I don't think that the literal definition is like that and will derail in a totally different direction" however, I could have just said "stage lights come on: Mysterious strangers kill your spouse and steal your child while you impotently bang against the glass of your cell!"

And that was forced on the player. You can't even skip it or speed it up - just like you cannot skip or speed up the domestic scene in your home before running to the vault, you always have to spin the mobile and look at the loving baby or you will spend the rest of eternity in your house. But yeah, Codsworth's dialogue is extremley forced, there's even a charisma check that's essentially unskippable if you want to proceed with the conversation, and as soon as that's done he literally says WE MUST RUSH AROUND AND FIND YOUR SON SHAUN! which is also unskippable if you didn't just turn and walk away mid-conversation.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

To be fair I don't disagree about Fallout 4 having too much prewritten backstory, but Fallout 3 had the same problem; you were always a person whose mother died during childbirth, grew up in a vault, was best friends with the Overseer's daughter, was picked on by the bully Butch and had a pretty good relationship with your father James. That's all pretty much locked in, you just play through more of it and can be kind of a petulant dick to the other vault dwellers but not really in a way that impacts your relationship with them.

This is why Fallout 4 improves upon Fallout 3 in every way (outside of maybe the dozen or so times any skill other than Speech could actually affect dialog), just not so much New Vegas.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 8, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Cojawfee posted:

NV: Oh poo poo, dude, you almost got murdered. You need to get to New Vegas RIGHT now to find that guy, he has a chip or something! GO!

FO4: They just murdered my wife/husband and took my son. Oh well, [roleplay]I regretted having a kid anyway and felt trapped in that marriage. Oh wow, a wasteland, now i can be the biggest sociopath I ever wanted. Perhaps I'll go look for my son anyway[/roleplay].

Wow, look how I totally turned that around. If you just use your imagination to change the story a bit, you can be whatever the gently caress you want and not poo poo up a thread for pages and pages whining about backstory.

None of the available dialogue (you know, the things your character has to say to others) really allows for this interpretation. Unless you just kill everyone you meet rather than talking to them and somehow ignore how you've interacted with your spouse prior to the apocalypse.

Of course I now start my new playthroughs from the save-game I left right before leaving the vault so I can ignore all the start-up nonsense (same for FO3, gently caress childhood time w/ daddy issues), but man I would like if you could actually go join a raider gang or some such.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

coyo7e posted:

And that was forced on the player. You can't even skip it or speed it up - just like you cannot skip or speed up the domestic scene in your home before running to the vault, you always have to spin the mobile and look at the loving baby or you will spend the rest of eternity in your house. But yeah, Codsworth's dialogue is extremley forced, there's even a charisma check that's essentially unskippable if you want to proceed with the conversation, and as soon as that's done he literally says WE MUST RUSH AROUND AND FIND YOUR SON SHAUN! which is also unskippable if you didn't just turn and walk away mid-conversation.

Is this a complaint from a generation that only played minecraft before? How freeform are you expecting games to even be?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

moths posted:

He never feels like your personal character, because every dialogue reminds you that he's the whitest dork alive.

Patently untrue!

Preston is the whitest dork alive. An eskimo eating wonder bread in a snow storm is not as white as Preston.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

coyo7e posted:

You're not forced to talk to anybody in the game so your entire comment comes across as a :spergin: "well I don't think that the literal definition is like that and will derail in a totally different direction" however, I could have just said "stage lights come on: MYSTERIOUS STRANGERS COME IN AND SHOOT YOUR SPOUSE AND STEAL: YOUR CHILD WHILE YOU BANG ON THE DOORS".

And that was forced on the player. You can't even skip it or speed it up. But yeah, Codsworth's dialogue is extremley forced, there's even a charisma check that's essentially unskippable if you want to proceed with the conversation, and as soon as that's done he literally says WE MUST RUSH AROUND AND FIND YOUR SON SHAUN! which is also unskippable if you didn't just turn and walk away mid-conversation.

It's a thing that triggers the hero on his journey to the wasteland, big deal.

On my second run of this game I didn't even speak to Codsworth and just rushed south to explore stuff

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Really though I think the substantive difference between motivations for main characters between New Vegas and FO4 is that in the former you can get that <plot device> out of the way pretty much immediately and then go on and do whatever you want. In FO4 it is quite literally the entirety of the main plot for about 90% of that particular plot thread, by which point you have also likely seen a fair amount of the rest of the game world with that <plot device> as your continuing underlying motivation - whether you want to ignore it OOC or not.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is this a complaint from a generation that only played minecraft before? How freeform are you expecting games to even be?

Personally I'd be just chuffed if facial hair and scars were generated in-game without my having to magically apply them at the barber shop/surgeon

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wolfsheim posted:

To be fair I don't disagree about Fallout 4 having too much prewritten backstory, but Fallout 3 had the same problem; you were always a person whose mother died during childbirth, grew up in a vault, was best friends with the Overseer's daughter, was picked on by the bully Butch and had a pretty good relationship with your father James. That's all pretty much locked in, you just play through it and can be kind of a dick to your dad/Amanda but not really in a way that impacts your relationship with them.

This is why Fallout 4 improves upon Fallout 3 in every way (outside of maybe the dozen or so times any skill other than Speech could actually affect dialog), just not so much New Vegas.
The thing is, that Fallout 3 is almost pitch-perfect "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" material. You know that you grew up slightly ostracized because *reasons* and you have no emotional baggage to stay because *mom's dead and dad's already outside - aka "reasons"*, and then you leave because something happened that pushed you over the edge and reminded you that you don't really belong in the vault with everybody else and have bigger things to accomplish, whereas the story of 99% of humanity would begin and end with "you grew up in this vault, you're normal, and you will live here your whole life and die here." The protagonist has to be singled out as different otherwise they cannot be set up to go on a big life/world-changing mission. That's been the standard for every fallout game and for all the TES games I can think of as well, just a "you're different - get to it!" and then you're left to pursue or ignore the story as you like.

Fallout 4 has a fundamentally different approach on this. They give you a family, they force you to spend ten or twenty minutes with them and then rip them away from you, and then say, "okay you're alive, go to it!" There is nothing heroic or mythological about the protagonist in fallout 4, he's literally just some shmuck who got shafted and has very realistic reasons to lose his poo poo and chase after revenge, but very little reason to believe that you're the chosen one who is fated to be the deciding factor between all of the lives of different characters, all of the relationships between differing factions, etc. You just kind of wander around hollering GIMME BACK MY SON often enough to be disorienting.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Also worth noting that while Fallout 2 is the best game in the series (hahaha :can: ) it also has around the same level of personal backstory as Fallout 3/4. This is your tribe! Here's your dopey cousin! Your mean aunt! Your really, really old mother!

I mean, the game then goes on to have an absurd number of different ways of handling every situation, but your life and general place in the community is pretty heavily pre-written.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

coyo7e posted:

If you're familiar with Joseph Campbell, one might say that there's a reason the chosen one doesn't have their kid stolen from them, but are rather cut off from their roots and informed that they are The One True Hero and that they've got Something Important To Do, and that the reason is not

One of those scenarios leads to a broadening of horizons and growing up in the big wide world, and one leads to people foaming at the mouth and using power drills on random dudes' kneecaps.
That's entirely my point, I don't appreciate such a lovely form of motivation, and it does bring me out of my enjoyment when I open up a dialogue with some random NPC and I see that at least two choices are about my "missing child".
Stop bringing up Campbell like the monomyth proves anything about FO4. Campbell never said THESE ARE WHAT STORIES SHOULD DO TO BE GOOD, he was observing a template common to many myths. Besides, if anything, FO4 follows the monomyth too closely, like they needed to check those boxes and then fill in a story around them. Lots of 'good' stories have similar familial stakes - The Odyssey is the second oldest story in western lit and is basically I WANT MY WIFE AND SON BACK.

Now it might be that I'm so conditioned by playing games that I didn't notice the SHAUN-SHAUN-SHAUN-SHAAAAAUN dialogue choices, but yeah some examples would be cool.

frajaq posted:

I missed that Codsworth was companionable until I was about 30 hours in

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

You're not forced to talk to anybody in the game so your entire comment comes across as a :spergin: "well I don't think that the literal definition is like that and will derail in a totally different direction" however, I could have just said "stage lights come on: Mysterious strangers kill your spouse and steal your child while you impotently bang against the glass of your cell!"

calm down nerd

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Reminder that the opening cutscene of the game is not done by an impersonal narrator but by the main character, John Fallout as he voices his fears for the future and his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wolfsheim posted:

Also worth noting that while Fallout 2 is the best game in the series (hahaha :can: ) it also has around the same level of personal backstory as Fallout 3/4. This is your tribe! Here's your dopey cousin! Your mean aunt! Your really, really old mother!

I mean, the game then goes on to have an absurd number of different ways of handling every situation, but your life and general place in the community is pretty heavily pre-written.
Having characters who know you and act selectively toward you is nowhere near the same as "you have a spouse and a kid and the kid is gone and you watched the spouse being murdered". In fact the entire village in Fallout 2 is set up to make the player feel antagonistic and ostracized from the start, so even your main quest motivation of "save the village!" is extraordinarily muddied, because you're thinking, "wow my aunt was a real oval office, and that cousin was dumb as a bag of rocks, who gives a poo poo? I've got placenta-shaped mutants to shoot!"

• Locked thread