Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's easy to tell who doesn't know jack poo poo about TV - they use CW as an insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

It's easy to tell who doesn't know jack poo poo about TV - they use CW as an insult.

Which CW shows are good? I like shows full of pretty people... I think the only one I currently watch is The Flash...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

Which CW shows are good? I like shows full of pretty people... I think the only one I currently watch is The Flash...

The 100 is amazingly dark and hosed up. iZombie is good, Arrow has gotten better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrow, Flash, 100, iZombie, and Jane the Virgin are all great shows. Supernatural is even having a great season!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Arrow, Flash, 100, iZombie, and Jane the Virgin are all great shows. Supernatural is even having a great season!

What CW shows are even bad? I don't watch Jane the Virgin or Crazy Ex Girlfriend but I hear they are good. I guess that leaves America's Next Top Model / Vampire Diaries / The Originals?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

zoux posted:

How could I forget about Supernatural? This season has been pretty drat good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I stopped watching The 100 at like, the end or near the end of season 1. It was just too bad. If it weren't for the terribly unwatchable "drama" up on the space station it would have been fine. But poo poo was seriously bad. I'll probably come back to it at some point.

It's hard for me to get back into Arrow because they keep dropping spoilers for it in The Flash, so now I know a ton of poo poo that happens in Arrow but I'm two season's behind.

There's no way I'm watching a show called iZombie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What CW shows are even bad? I don't watch Jane the Virgin or Crazy Ex Girlfriend but I hear they are good. I guess that leaves America's Next Top Model / Vampire Diaries / The Originals?

Yeah probably. Reign is their other scripted, it's a lot better than you'd think it would be but I wouldn't call it good without equivocation.

Snak posted:

Your loss pal.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

People like you killed Terriers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

iZombie is amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

iZombie owns and The 100 owns. :colbert:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I don't know which is worse, legitimately saying "doesn't know poo poo about TV" or legitimately saying Arrow is anything other than absolute garbage.

Goons never seemed to grow out of high school mentality of "I like it so it must be good". :siren: you can like something and still recognize it's poo poo :siren:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Botnit posted:

I don't know which is worse, legitimately saying "doesn't know poo poo about TV" or legitimately saying Arrow is anything other than absolute garbage.

Goons never seemed to grow out of high school mentality of "I like it so it must be good". :siren: you can like something and still recognize it's poo poo :siren:

Haha, yeah, it's us not you.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

TVD has been bad for 3 seasons or so now, but the Originals has had a pretty decent run that inherited the wacky plot hijinks and not as much of the brooding love triangle crap that plagued TVD. It's essentially still pretty people doing terrible things though. I've really warmed up to the 100 in the second half of the first season, just haven't had a lot of binging time lately.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The CW is just about done it's transition from laughed at network to legitimate one. Give the other networks a couple of years and the Flash might top 10.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Botnit posted:

This is the least self-aware thing I've ever read.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Arrow is really loving bad. It has some charm, and I'm going to finish it some day, but it's bad.

If you want to sell me on iZombie, you're gonna have to undo all the damage that the show's marketing has done.

quote:

Seattle medical resident Olivia "Liv" Moore is turned into a zombie while attending a boat party. To cope with her new appetite for brains, Liv takes a job at the King County morgue and shares her secret with her boss, Dr. Ravi Chakrabarti. In order for Liv to survive, Ravi encourages her to eat the brains of murder victims who are delivered to the morgue. Whenever she eats a victim's brain, Liv inherits some of their personality traits temporarily. She also experiences flashbacks which often give her clues as to the nature of the murder. Liv uses this new ability to help the Seattle Police Department solve crimes, passing herself off as a psychic consultant.

Wait is like, for the same demographic that likes Psych? Because if so, yeah I'm gonna pass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snak posted:

Arrow is really loving bad. It has some charm, and I'm going to finish it some day, but it's bad.

If you want to sell me on iZombie, you're gonna have to undo all the damage that the show's marketing has done.

Wait is like, for the same demographic that likes Psych? Because if so, yeah I'm gonna pass.

It's from Rob Thomas.

You know, the lead singer of Matchbox 20?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iZombie is actually awful as a procedural and wastes its hook to be basically Veronica Mars.

That's kind of, sort of a compliment.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

sbaldrick posted:

The CW is just about done it's transition from laughed at network to legitimate one. Give the other networks a couple of years and the Flash might top 10.

Citations on them ending Arrow, Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, and Originals within the next couple of years needed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's from Rob Thomas.

You know, the lead singer of Matchbox 20?

Oh, he created Party Down and wrote two episodes of Dawson's Creek that I just watched last week. Okay, I'm interested.

What makes iZombie good?

edit:

Aphrodite posted:

iZombie is actually awful as a procedural and wastes its hook to be basically Veronica Mars.

That's kind of, sort of a compliment.
See that's what I was afraid of. Veronica Mars is... well I can't say I thought it was good, but I did watch most (all?) of it. There was a lot of eye-rolling involved though because ugh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snak posted:

Oh, he created Party Down and wrote two episodes of Dawson's Creek that I just watched last week. Okay, I'm interested.

What makes iZombie good?

It's characters and cast are charming, it has interesting subplots, a decent premise and snappy, funny dialogue.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also I really enjoy how they treat the Major character.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still just can't fully get into iZombie. I think I may drop it from my weekly schedule when it comes back and just make it a Netflix binge show. I don't know. Its charming but there's a lot of TV on and my DVR only has so much room and I only have so much time.

I think the first couple of seasons of Arrow are good serialized television. Not prestige television level or anything, but plenty good for network television with compelling beats that lead to one another. Since then the show's become more of a comic book reference dartboard and cog in this ever growing comic book world which appeals to my inner child but I can totally see why it would play bad to others. But I think Arrow S1-2 is solid in a similar way that Supernatural S1-5 are better than what followed (although Supernatural S1-5 are WAY better than Arrow S1-2). A little cheesy but basically a solidly done Batman story.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know what show is loving amazing? The original Law & Order is loving amazing.

I started watching it from the beginning while I had downtime at work and I've barreled through the first three seasons in no time. Going in, I wasn't expecting much but I don't think that there's been another show is his consistent ever.

I know that people have lost appreciation for the show's formula thanks to 20 seasons and four spinoffs, but trust me when I say that Law & Order is totally worth a rewatch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

You know what show is loving amazing? The original Law & Order is loving amazing.

I started watching it from the beginning while I had downtime at work and I've barreled through the first three seasons in no time. Going in, I wasn't expecting much but I don't think that there's been another show is his consistent ever.

I know that people have lost appreciation for the show's formula thanks to 20 seasons and four spinoffs, but trust me when I say that Law & Order is totally worth a rewatch.

I have always wanted to get into original L&O. The few episodes I've seen were really good. I also need to watch The West Wing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's the worst advice i've ever read.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I enjoy the original L&O, but I cant see it being required viewing by any means.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Okay, Starz has Videodrome right now. That alone (plus Ashe vs. Evil Dead) was enough to get me to sign up.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snak posted:

Its great to binge. The dialogue is stellar and the procedural stuff is largely outshined by the meta-plot when you see the show at more than an episode at a time. That is why this season isn't as fun as fun as its first one.

And yes, Arrow is terrible.

EDIT: L&O is something you watch before you go to sleep as you listen to the familiar strains of Jack McCoy demolishing someone for the umpteenth time.

And now why people like SVU so much I'll never get.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntiwssyeDk

This will always be the #1 L&O highlight. Yes, it's bareback.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

lelandjs posted:

I've been watching(rewatching) the whole series for the past few months. Just about to start season 20. The simplicity and honesty of the show is what I've always loved about it. You see the police do their job and the lawyers do their. No romance or side plots. And the other reason is simply Det. Briscoe.

After I finish my watch going to start on Criminal Intent. D'onofrio was so awesome in that show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lelandjs posted:

Original Law and Order is fine, back when it was like Noth, Moriarty, and Brooks, but the real show from that era that everyone should go back and watch is Homicide. I'd say it's the best cop show to ever air.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Manos del Sino posted:

Isn't Banshee a Starz show, or am I wrong about that?

Maybe you's thinkin' 'bout Ray Donovan

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Maybe you's thinkin' 'bout Ray Donovan

Neither of those shows are on Starz. Banshee is on Cinemax and Ray Donovan is on Showtime.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

Neither of those shows are on Starz. Banshee is on Cinemax and Ray Donovan is on Showtime.

Starz and Showtime were both referenced and the two shows are comparable stop being pedantic

bull3964 posted:

You can now add Starz and Showtime subs to your Amazon Prime account among a few smaller other offerings. Presumably, there are more to come down the line

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Yeah I stopped watching The 100 at like, the end or near the end of season 1. It was just too bad. If it weren't for the terribly unwatchable "drama" up on the space station it would have been fine. But poo poo was seriously bad. I'll probably come back to it at some point.

If that's the reason why you're not watching the show you're in luck (massive S1 finale spoilers about the Ark) Ellen Tigh steals one of the few escape craft on the Ark and in the process permanently cripples the station; the escape craft explodes on reentry. The station is so badly screwed by this that it becomes better for them to crash the thing into Earth and keep people in what sections may stay intact during reentry. The season ends with most of the Ark on Earth and Jaha chilling alone with little oxygen on the few remaining sections of the Ark in space.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 100 is a really fun show if you're into pretty teens committing war crimes. I really really enjoy it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

If that's the reason why you're not watching the show you're in luck (massive S1 finale spoilers about the Ark) Ellen Tigh steals one of the few escape craft on the Ark and in the process permanently cripples the station; the escape craft explodes on reentry. The station is so badly screwed by this that it becomes better for them to crash the thing into Earth and keep people in what sections may stay intact during reentry. The season ends with most of the Ark on Earth and Jaha chilling alone with little oxygen on the few remaining sections of the Ark in space.

Oh yeah I saw that. I guess I finished season 1. I'll probably wait until s2 is on netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Snak posted:

Oh yeah I saw that. I guess I finished season 1. I'll probably wait until s2 is on netflix.

It doesn't sound like you're in any particular hurry, but if it's within your power Season 2 is on Canadian Netflix. I liked Season 2 a lot more, for what it's worth.

• Locked thread