Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Does my colorless creature tap for ◇ ?
Colorless isn't a color, so that's not specified as it is today.

Do my non-colorless (sounds better than colored) creatures tap for my choice of ◇ or their respective mana ? If so, the flavor of casting a convoke spell with a ◇ cost is lost if I can use my red and blue dudes to cast it.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So you just answered your own question, right? What's the problem.

edit: Sorry, that sounds a bit aggressively worded, doesn't it? But yeah, you read the text and then it clears it up, right?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

End of Life Guy posted:

Does my colorless creature tap for ◇ ?
Colorless isn't a color, so that's not specified as it is today.

Yes, it does. A green creature taps for G, and a colourless creature taps for ◇, and you can use either of those to pay the 1 in a cost. You can only use G to pay G, and you can only use ◇ to pay ◇.

Edit: To clarify, you tap the creature to pay for the spell, the creature doesn't actually create mana. So you can tap a blue-red creature to pay 1 or U or R, but not ◇.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That's a thing that doesn't belong in the reminder text because it cannot possibly matter whether it works that way or not.

e:The only way it could matter is if OGW has a "spells cost D more" effect that affects your convoke spell, and then only in the conjunction of those two effects does it matter.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 8, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
You can tap e.g. a green creature to pay for either the green-colored or generic mana component of a convoke spell's cost, which is exactly what the reminder text says.

The only thing that will need a bit more clarification is if we ever see a convoke card with diamond symbols in its mana cost, because then you could (I assume) use any colorless creature to convoke the diamond cost, but that might not be immediately apparent.

To be clear, I mean it's not apparent solely from the existing convoke rules whether a colorless creature can tap for diamond, since it's not tapping for its "color" (because it doesn't have one). It would be most intuitive for colorless to tap for diamond mana and I assume that's what they'll go with, but it does need clarification.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Yes, it does. A green creature taps for G, and a colourless creature taps for ◇, and you can use either of those to pay the 1 in a cost. You can only use G to pay G, and you can only use ◇ to pay ◇.

Heh, I guess I'm eating my words about this being simple, because... no, right?

quote:

For each colored mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature of that color you control rather than pay that mana. For each generic mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature you control rather than pay that mana.

As written you just can't pay ◇ with convoke, right? And that's fine and seems pretty apparent to me, but whatever.

(they'll probably change it?)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Edit: To clarify, you tap the creature to pay for the spell, the creature doesn't actually create mana. So you can tap a blue-red creature to pay 1 or U or R, but not ◇.

Colorless is not a color. Colorless is the absence of color. This is up there with "Wastes is real, but other basics should tap for ◇ as well as their colors too, to make it easier for new players!" as far as misunderstandings go.

odiv posted:

As written you just can't pay ◇ with convoke, right? And that's fine and seems pretty apparent to me, but whatever.

(they'll probably change it?)

Yeah, as written, Convoke produces a Colored Mana or a Generic Mana. It's probably fixable, but I don't know if it's actually worth fixing.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
So, do Wastes only tap for DIAMOND mana? They doesn't tap for what we call "colorless" (2)BB right? For that you still need BB and 2 of any land except Wastes?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

So, do Wastes only tap for DIAMOND mana? They doesn't tap for what we call "colorless" (2)BB right? For that you still need BB and 2 of any land except Wastes?

what you're calling "colorless" mana is actually generic mana, which means any mana type can be used for it

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Generic Mana is mana of any color or colorless mana. All colorless mana generators will continue to produce colorless mana as they currently do - there is no mana source which produces Generic Mana.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

No, the diamond means colorless. The (2) is generic which means "any type of mana."

Edit: Wow, you guys are fast.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Niton posted:

there is no mana source which produces Generic Mana.
I think that's coming out in "Lock".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There should be a mana leak that requires <><>/<> to be paid. Because tron is cool and good.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Niton posted:

there is no mana source which produces Generic Mana.

Until Return to Tarkir in 2021.

What about cards that say "You may spend mana as though it were mana of any color" ?

Let's say I exile a new Kozilek with Daxos, of Meletis. Do you think I could cast it with only green mana?

I've no opinion on this one, just making conversation.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

End of Life Guy posted:

Let's say I exile a new Kozilek with Daxos, of Meletis. Do you think I could cast it with only green mana?

I've no opinion on this one, just making conversation.

I don't think you would be able to - one of Daxos' rulings is:

quote:

9/15/2013: You must pay all costs to cast the exiled card. You may pay alternative or additional costs. If the card has any mandatory additional costs, you must pay those.

Daxos allows you to spend all mana as White, Blue, Black, Red or Green mana, but doesn't allow you to ignore any other mana costs that might be associated with the card, which (assumedly) Colorless mana counts as.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

No, the diamond means colorless. The (2) is generic which means "any type of mana."

Edit: Wow, you guys are fast.

Are we assuming that the Wastes also produce generic mana? If so, then do when what is their point at all?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

the 2 in 2BB can be paid by any kind of mana, colored or colorless. You can Pay GGBB ♦♦BB G♦BB and so on and so on. The whole idea is producing mana and paying mana are not the same. The 2 doesn't exclude any payment currently, you can pay it with WUBRG or Colorless mana, why would we exclude colorless mana after we give it a symbol?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Are we assuming that the Wastes also produce generic mana? If so, then do when what is their point at all?

What is generic mana in terms of producing mana.? Can you explain an example of mana source in the game that now produces generic? Keeping in mind that sources like Tron Lands, Sol Ring are not producing generic, they are producing colorless.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

There is no actual gameplay mechanic called Generic Mana. Nothing can tap for Generic Mana, nor can Generic Mana be added to your mana pool through a card's effect. Generic Mana is a simply a rules term which means Mana from any mana-producing source which can legally be used to pay for this spell or ability.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Niton posted:

I don't think you would be able to - one of Daxos' rulings is:

Daxos allows you to spend all mana as White, Blue, Black, Red or Green mana, but doesn't allow you to ignore any other mana costs that might be associated with the card, which (assumedly) Colorless mana counts as.

So casting Kozilek would cost 8 mana of any color, and then two colorless, if cast with Daxos?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The difference between generic and colorless is not in production, but in cost. Generic= any color of mana or colorless mana. Colorless= Only colorless, not any other color.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Man. This concept is breaking people's minds. Have they even said if this is going to be a recurring feature yet?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

sarmhan posted:

The difference between generic and colorless is not in production, but in cost. Generic= any color of mana or colorless mana. Colorless= Only colorless, not any other color.

It is really interesting to see how many people don't distinguish between T: Add (1) to your mana pool and a mana cost of (1)G. They know you can't pay G with the (1) you make, they know you can pay the (1) with the (1) they produce, they know they can pay for a spell that costs (1)G with RG but they lose their minds when you say we gave colorless mana a symbol.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Thor-Stryker posted:

Man. This concept is breaking people's minds. Have they even said if this is going to be a recurring feature yet?

It isn't official, but enough of the leaks look legit. We're all just waiting for some official spoiler to confirm.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

jassi007 posted:

What is generic mana in terms of producing mana.? Can you explain an example of mana source in the game that now produces generic? Keeping in mind that sources like Tron Lands, Sol Ring are not producing generic, they are producing colorless.

No, I can't give you an example. Maybe I'm stupid and don't understand it like some others.

For example if I want to cast Kozilek, Butcher of Truth I need to pay (10) which can be UUUUUWWWWW or any combination of the 5 color lands that are available now.

If I want to cast Oath Kozileik I need (8) and DIAMOND/DIAMOND. I still need 10, so what's the point of introducing the new Wastes? What's the benefit or even the point?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Gensuki posted:

So casting Kozilek would cost 8 mana of any color, and then two colorless, if cast with Daxos?

I believe so - Kozilek's mana cost says "two mana must be colorless", so I think it would be similar to how you can only use basic lands to cast Imperiosaur off of Daxos.

If I want to cast Oath Kozileik I need (8) and DIAMOND/DIAMOND. I still need 10, so what's the point of introducing the new Wastes? What's the benefit or even the point?

Wastes are a basic source of Colorless mana - this allows them to be fetched by cards like Evolving Wilds, Cultivate, or Pilgrim's Eye, and it allows you to have any number of them in a constructed deck.

This is important because it allows you to treat Colorless as a pseudo-color for balance reasons, rather than a curiosity - it would be very difficult to construct (for example) a Colorless/Green deck if you had to rely entirely on nonbasic lands for fixing.

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2015

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Niton posted:

I believe so - Kozilek's mana cost says "two mana must be colorless", so I think it would be similar to how you can only use basic lands to cast Imperiosaur off of Daxos.

Wastes are a basic source of Colorless mana - this allows them to be fetched by cards like Evolving Wilds, Cultivate, or Pilgrim's Eye, and it allows you to have any number of them in a constructed deck.

This is important because it allows you to treat Colorless as a pseudo-color for balance reasons, rather than a curiosity.

The more I understand it seems like a stupid mechanic to cater to the EDH crowd so they can have a true colorless manabase so they don't have to use dumb poo poo like Desert, Quickstand etc etc. They can just run 35 Wastes and be done with it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

No, I can't give you an example. Maybe I'm stupid and don't understand it like some others.

For example if I want to cast Kozilek, Butcher of Truth I need to pay (10) which can be UUUUUWWWWW or any combination of the 5 color lands that are available now.

You need to pay 10, 2 of which must be colorless. Same as if it cost 8BB. You'd need to pay 10, two of which much be black.

e: You can't pay for new Kozilek with UUUUUWWWWW, while you can do that with old Kozilek.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 8, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If colorless costs stick around for more than a set, or are good enough to see significant play, it'll be interesting that all of a sudden a whole bunch of old dual lands are now trilands.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

You can cast O.G Kozilek for any combination of mana, as long as it adds up to ten.
You *must* use 2 colorless mana to cast New Kozilek. Diamond functions like a mana symbol, except it denotes colorless mana.

There is no such thing as 'generic mana' when it comes to production, only the 5 colors and colorless. Generic is just a cost notation that tells you any type of mana can be used.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

The more I understand it seems like a stupid mechanic to cater to the EDH crowd so they can have a true colorless manabase so they don't have to use dumb poo poo like Desert, Quickstand etc etc. They can just run 35 Wastes and be done with it.

Colorless can never be balanced in Limited without some method of fixing for it. Having a Colorless equivalent to fetch off of Evolving Wilds is an important part of making it interesting in limited.

cheetah7071 posted:

If colorless costs stick around for more than a set, or are good enough to see significant play, it'll be interesting that all of a sudden a whole bunch of old dual lands are now trilands.

And, importantly, the ones which are now trilands are (aside from Grove of the Burnwillows and Twilight Mire) not really anyone's first choice currently.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Think about it this way. If you want to cast, say, Ob Nixilis, you need 3BB. That's two black and three of anything.

New Kozilek is 8♦♦. That means you need two colorless mana (from Wastes or a painland or something) and 8 of anything.

The point is taking colorless from a thing for artifacts and actually making it matter is a way that impacts the game as a whole.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's really gonna blow people's minds is when 2/<> becomes an optional cost.

I guess if you can't wrap your heads around this concept magic just isn't the game for you :smug:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

sarmhan posted:

You can cast O.G Kozilek for any combination of mana, as long as it adds up to ten.
You *must* use 2 colorless mana to cast New Kozilek. Diamond functions like a mana symbol, except it denotes colorless mana.

There is no such thing as 'generic mana' when it comes to production, only the 5 colors and colorless. Generic is just a cost notation that tells you any type of mana can be used.

It's starting to become clear now. So you can use 10 Wastes if you desire to cast New Kozy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's starting to become clear now. So you can use 10 Wastes if you desire to cast New Kozy.

Right, or two Wastes, four islands and four plains.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Some Numbers posted:

Right, or two Wastes, four islands and four plains.

Or five wastes, one Plains, one island, one mountain, one forest, and one swamp. It's easiest to think of diamonds as a sixth color, IMO

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

It's still really stupid and hopefully it's a set only thing. (It won't be)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

CaptCommy posted:

Or five wastes, one Plains, one island, one mountain, one forest, and one swamp. It's easiest to think of diamonds as a sixth color, IMO

This could become treacherous when thinking about Converge and Sunburst, depending on how it is implemented.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

^^^^^: It's not a color!

It's still really stupid and hopefully it's a set only thing. (It won't be)

They would not print a new basic land and errata a bunch of cards just for a few cards in a small set. If ♦ is legit, it's going to be a part of the game.

Serious question: why do you think it's stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
somebody please go grab https://www.iscolorlessacolor.com and make the page text just NO in 152pt font

• Locked thread