Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Time to take advantage of my Florida-born father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

cowofwar posted:

Thankfully my Canadian equity exposure is only 15%.

5% :smug:

Though lots of folks around here are 0%. Some have probably even shorted Canada, you lucky bastards.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 8, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Playstation 4 posted:

If only your father was the only human in Florida.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Since there's no robot around to attack me I can repost this:

https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239615/ishares-msci-canada-etf

Something is wrong in the economy when the most valuable canadian companies by market cap are in FIRE, energy and materials.

Newer industries such as healthcare and technology only make a tiny percentage up of the total canadian market cap.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

jm20 posted:

And you likely live in Canada and get paid in CAD. Equity exposure isn't the entire picture, we're all screwed.
I am a scientist so I am used to being screwed on the employment side in Canada.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

Since there's no robot around to attack me I can repost this:

https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239615/ishares-msci-canada-etf

Something is wrong in the economy when the most valuable canadian companies by market cap are in FIRE, energy and materials.

Newer industries such as healthcare and technology only make a tiny percentage up of the total canadian market cap.
Home Depot: Never stop improving [or our economy craters]

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Bip Roberts posted:

If only your father was the only human in Florida.

Would he own the state if that happened, I think I'd rather just die than own Florida.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Playstation 4 posted:

Would he own the state if that happened, I think I'd rather just die than own Florida.

If I owned hell and Florida, I'd rent Florida and live in hell.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

If I owned hell and Florida, I'd rent Florida and live in hell.

Isn't this already true? you live in Calgary

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

Isn't this already true? you live in Calgary

Calgary isn't that bad, you know. I only hate it on alternating days, instead of constantly. If I don't interact with any members of the public, it's usually a very enjoyable place to live.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

PT6A posted:

If I don't interact with any members of the public, it's usually a very enjoyable place to live.

:goonsay:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wonder if I can buy the tallest hill in Florida; sell it as a private island down the road for big bucks.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

El Scotch posted:

Wonder if I can buy the tallest hill in Florida; sell it as a private island down the road for big bucks.

No guarantee it'll still be around at that point. A lot of Florida is on top of an aquifer that's collapsing in on itself.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Au contraire; I like interacting with family and friends, and I don't mind the public in general, just in Calgary. I defy you to live here and feel otherwise.

EDIT: Also, wasn't the largest hill in Florida literally a huge pile of garbage? Or am I thinking of someplace else?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

PT6A posted:

Au contraire; I like interacting with family and friends, and I don't mind the public in general, just in Calgary. I defy you to live here and feel otherwise.

EDIT: Also, wasn't the largest hill in Florida literally a huge pile of garbage? Or am I thinking of someplace else?

It is a joke.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Quick, everyone go into foreclosure/repo/whatever else fields

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

jm20 posted:

And you likely live in Canada and get paid in CAD. Equity exposure isn't the entire picture, we're all screwed.

I get paid primarily in USD :smug:

This makes up for the crippling 30% pay cut I took in 2009.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This news article will probably make CI hard:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/suicide-rate-alberta-increase-layoffs-1.3353662

quote:

In this year of mass layoffs in the energy sector, calls to the Calgary Distress Centre have changed tone and have become more frequent, says counsellor David Kirby.

"For me it says something really about the horrible human impact of what's happening in the economy with the recession and the real felt effect, the real suffering and the real struggle that people are experiencing," he said.

Kirby says demand for counselling services has increased by 80 per cent — and the problems people are struggling with are more complex.

"There might be substance abuse issues. There might be imminent financial collapse," he said.

"Anxiety, depression. Relationship conflict, maybe concurrent domestic violence. So there are many more things that people are trying to juggle I think at the same time."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We're going negative, kids.

quote:

"Today's remarks should in no way be taken as a sign that we are planning to embark on these policies," Poloz said. "We don't need unconventional policies now, and we don't expect to use them. However, it's prudent to be prepared for every eventuality."

The Bank of Canada twice this year cut its benchmark interest rate in an attempt to stimulate the economy.

But other countries have gone even further, slashing their rates below zero in an attempt to encourage spending and investment, instead of fearfully hoarding capital.

[...]

"Interest rates [for consumers] don't go below zero," Poloz said at a question and answer session following his speech, noting that in Switzerland and elsewhere, consumers still earn microscopic amounts on savings and pay tiny interest rates on commercial bank loans which are tied but not directly to the central bank. "We would expect the same sort of behaviour here."

"We now believe that the effective lower bound for Canada's policy rate is around minus 0.5 per cent, but it could be a little higher or lower," Poloz said.

[...]

Poloz announced another new unconventional measure added to the bank's arsenal: Funding for credit.

The option would ensure economically important sectors had continued access to funding even when the credit supply is impaired, Poloz said. That's exactly what happened in 2009 when the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) took mortgages off the books of Canada's big banks to free up cash for them to lend money to deserving borrowers.

Yessss central bank directly funding bad retail loans this is going to be awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So it looks like all the happened to alberta is that their unemployment rate finally got equalized with the rest of the country's.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Playstation 4 posted:

But enough about your sex life.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
oil downturn, unemployment, it's time for ZIR :allears: If we stave off a crash we are going to be chugging along solely on consumer spending which should include speculative real estate at this point.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

So it looks like all the happened to alberta is that their unemployment rate finally got equalized with the rest of the country's.

Sort of brings into sharp relief just how bad Canada in general has it without Alberta covering up.

Almost like some kind of a disease... like the tulip hysteria in the Netherlands... if only there were a name for such a behaviour, but that would be committing sociology. :rolleyes:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
So if our petrodollar collapses does mnufacturing benefit from whatever the opposite of the Dutch Disease is? The Dutch Cure?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Albino Squirrel posted:

So if our petrodollar collapses does mnufacturing benefit from whatever the opposite of the Dutch Disease is? The Dutch Cure?

While the high dollar hasn't been helpful to Canadian manufacturing the bigger problem, at least in Ontario, is high energy costs. It used to be that Ontario's publicly owned utility was used by the provincial government to promote manufacturing by keeping energy costs low. Ontario manufacturing could compete with the lower labour costs of Mexico by providing very cheap power.

Since the 1990s the province has largely abandoned this policy. First they turned it into a basically private company, now they're actually selling a majority share of it. Whoever buys it is going to expect high returns on their investment, which will mean either higher energy prices, or less money spent on maintaining the grid, or perhaps both. Either way it makes it very unlikely Ontario will ever have the cost advantage regarding energy that it once had.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's almost like the private sector's short term and myopic focus and inability to cooperate or see the big picture is a loving disaster for society. It's almost like taking the complex and deeply interwoven things that support a society, compartmentalizing them, then saying they have to individually make a profit or they don't have value is going to destroy the society those things were supporting.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

It's almost like the private sector's short term and myopic focus and inability to cooperate or see the big picture is a loving disaster for society. It's almost like taking the complex and deeply interwoven things that support a society, compartmentalizing them, then saying they have to individually make a profit or they don't have value is going to destroy the society those things were supporting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qKy9iK_jDc

The worst part about it is that this has been a long, drawn out, slow death that we all saw coming. Ive lived here my whole life and this all started when I was about 9, so its practically been my whole teenage and young adult life watching our Liberal/Conservative governments sell off every buffer the province had for a quick buck to their business interests and friends.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

But think of all the taxes you haven't had to pay as a result!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Almost 20pc of Melbourne's investor-owned homes empty

The number of empty houses and apartments in Melbourne is much higher than traditional estimates, with as many as one-fifth of all investor-owned properties lying empty, according to a study of water usage by think tank Prosper Australia.

Victoria leads the country in terms of new housing approvals and planning authorities gave the tick to 70,472 new dwellings in the 12 months to October – more than half of them apartments – but the Prosper figures indicate that while local and offshore investors are hungry for properties, they are not necessarily making those homes usable housing stock.

"There is an oversupply of housing that's not being used," said Catherine Cashmore, Prosper President and author of the report. "When the Victorian government talks about the need to build more housing to bring down prices, that strategy isn't working. We don't have anything to ensure those homes are being utilised. It doesn't matter whether they're foreign owned or investor owned the economic cost to us is enormous."

A total 82,724 properties used less than 50 litres per day – the equivalent of a dripping tap and far less than a single person's daily usage – suggesting they were effectively unoccupied, the data from retailers City West Water, South East Water and Yarra Valley Water shows.

Night light: apartments being deliberately kept vacant don't add to the country's stock of available housing, Prosper Australia says.

That's equivalent to 4.8 per cent of greater Melbourne's total housing stock and 18.9 per cent of all investor-owned housing stock.

As many as 24,872 properties consumed no water at all, making them clearly unoccupied.

The number of vacant properties leapt 28 per cent last year, according to Prosper's Speculative Vacancies report, now in its eighth year. The think tank advocates for broad-based land taxes to raise the cost of holding land unproductively, as well as for an end to stamp duty, which it says impedes the market for land transactions.

"Capital gains are a much more powerful market motive than earning mere rents," says Karl Fitzgerald, Prosper project director. "That's why the tax game needs to change."

The idea has support.

"Should there perhaps be some kind of differential land tax that changes people's incentives?" said independent economist Saul Eslake. "I have some sympathy with that view."

It's not clear how much of the vacant housing stock is foreign-owned and how much is locally owned. However, the Melbourne CBD – which has drawn much investment from overseas buyers – had the largest number of vacancies, with just over 1100 – 6.7 per cent of its 16,632 homes – using no water at all. Almost 15 per cent – 2478 properties – consumed less than 50 litres per day.

The student-heavy areas of Carlton and Carlton South had the highest ratio of empty homes with 7.6 per cent, or 597, of their total 7837 homes using zero water.

Melbourne's hidden vacancies will become visible if the property market slows.

"When we get a downturn in housing markets it does lead people to sell their properties or rent them out to the market, that's when these vacancies will become visible," Ms Cashmore said.

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/almost-20pc-of-melbournes-investorowned-homes-empty-20151203-glee9q

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Maybe we'll luck out and the pendulum will swing back the other way in time to have kick rear end livable socialized pensions when we need to retire.

I'm pretty much counting on it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

The problem for Canada is it didn't make capital investments in the past when the loony was more favorable for manufacturing improvements.

A weak currency does help the export market but you need to have valuable brands that everyone wants to buy. A good amount of the manufacturing output was also shifted to focus supporting the energy industry, suddenly the same companies are making huge cuts to their capex purchases. Lots of provinces are now thinking of switching gears to a more diverse economy such as health/tech focus but switching gears takes a few years.

For Canada half of the exports are tied into the cyclical driven commodities:
http://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/manufacturing/canada-one-of-5-economies-most-exposed-to-china-slowdown-158810/

Australia has a similar issue to Canada, to make things worse the former PM Abbot tended to focus on helping commodity companies while ignoring other aspects of the economy.

Commodities are inherently playing with fire in terms of putting all the eggs in one basket since over time they are even more volatile than the stock market.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We're going negative, kids.

Yessss central bank directly funding bad retail loans this is going to be awesome.

I'd very much like to know what the thread thinks about this, since I don't even really understand what a negative rate means here.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I'd very much like to know what the thread thinks about this, since I don't even really understand what a negative rate means here.

You and i are not gonna have negative interest rates. This is basically incentive to make banks lend more.

Which is more fuel to prop up asset prices.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

*Ontario voters stare blankly into space* "We've made a huge mistake"

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Count Roland posted:

All the companies sitting on huge warchests in Cayman banks will continue to not do anything with the money. Your visa will still be expensive and savings accounts will continue to pay nothing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Count Roland posted:

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/negative-interest-rate-policy-nirp.asp

It means banks will starting charging depositors for holding cash in the bank.

I know it's a pretty weird concept.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

etalian posted:

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/negative-interest-rate-policy-nirp.asp

It means banks will starting charging depositors for holding cash in the bank.

I know it's a pretty weird concept.

But RBC already charges me $10 a month to keep money in the bank :v:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sitchensis posted:

But RBC already charges me $10 a month to keep money in the bank :v:

It's the You Should Be Using a Credit Union surcharge

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/12/09/2147366/this-default-cycle-is-for-turning/

quote:

Late stages of every credit cycle, by definition, are built on a theory as to why this time is different.

This type of attitude was prevalent going into 2015, when credit markets largely dismissed the oil sector distress, choosing to believe that this was an isolated issue and will stay that way. Historical evidence pointed to the contrary, where no earlier precedents existed of the largest sector being in distress and the rest of the market remaining firm. Today, two out of three sectors in US HY have more than 10% of debt trading at distressed levels.

quote:

Or “the lowest of the junk rated bond market pose more elevated default risks- yet this cohort is where there is less research coverage, fewer banking relationships, limited trading volumes and very little liquidity. And when defaults start rising some of the tourists may not have the resources necessary to explain the losses in their portfolios when their proverbial shoulders get tapped.”

Be still my throbbing engorged penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
By the way, USD to cad is 1.36 today.

loving lol