Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chill la Chill posted:

What's really gonna blow people's minds is when 2/<> becomes an optional cost.

I guess if you can't wrap your heads around this concept magic just isn't the game for you :smug:

This, except unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
These last two pages. :cripes:

Honestly, Wizards should have just kept the <> as an icon in mana costs, and left it as (1)/(2)/(3)/etc. in text boxes. Then there wouldn't be so much confusion between generic and colorless mana generation vs. payments.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

It's starting to become clear now. So you can use 10 Wastes if you desire to cast New Kozy.

Yeah, a Wastes is fundamentally identical to any other basic, except it taps for ◇ instead of W, U, B, R, or G, because it lacks the land types to do any of those things.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

It's still really stupid and hopefully it's a set only thing. (It won't be)

I think they expect new players to get it more easily and the older players to get it eventually. The potential to incentivise people moving away from homogeneous fetches and shocks mana bases is nice, and it could mean cool pushed artifacts/equipment later on if it's ongoing. I really doubt we'll be seeing many colourless things in places where they weren't going to be already, though.

E:

AlternateNu posted:

These last two pages. :cripes:

Honestly, Wizards should have just kept the <> as an icon in mana costs, and left it as (1)/(2)/(3)/etc. in text boxes. Then there wouldn't be so much confusion between generic and colorless mana generation vs. payments.

Confusion for who? The colourless generic divide has been mentioned by Maro as a complexity issue. I kind of expect they'd be willing to confuse already committed players for a little while to make it easier on new players indefinitely.

is that good fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 8, 2015

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Some Numbers posted:

^^^^^: It's not a color!

They would not print a new basic land and errata a bunch of cards just for a few cards in a small set. If ♦ is legit, it's going to be a part of the game.

Serious question: why do you think it's stupid?

It further complicates the game for no real long term benefit.

Like someone said before if you want to cast Ob Nix you need (3)BB it's still 5 no matter how you cut it UUUBB (for example). By now saying you can use Waste/Waste/Waste/BB you're still achieving basically the same outcome. Now you just have to further complicate things in your 60 card deck if you have say a total of 7 Diamond symbols in there, you now need to figure out how many additional wastes you need to run in your deck in addition to your already basic lands, manlands, whatever lands are in the format at that point.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

Same

I can't believe how much trouble this is giving people. Even like Chapin on his podcast.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

They would not print a new basic land and errata a bunch of cards just for a few cards in a small set. If ♦ is legit, it's going to be a part of the game.

Serious question: why do you think it's stupid?

I think it's really stupid because it's a backdoor 6th color for bullshit reasons and fucks with templating with zero actual designspace gain that isn't a parasitic 6th color, and furthermore their marquee 6th color card is something that historically has not been a 6th color thing and that was the whole point of them.

They're really loving up the "eldrazi are colorless in a land of colors!" theme with BFZ and now with new Kozilek.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Sigma-X posted:

I think it's really stupid because it's a backdoor 6th color for bullshit reasons and fucks with templating with zero actual designspace gain that isn't a parasitic 6th color, and furthermore their marquee 6th color card is something that historically has not been a 6th color thing and that was the whole point of them.

They're really loving up the "eldrazi are colorless in a land of colors!" theme with BFZ and now with new Kozilek.

This is basically what I was trying to say with my last post. Thanks!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Allstone posted:

and it could mean cool pushed artifacts/equipment later on if it's ongoing.
They've already kind of had this opportunity for a while when they made artifacts that required coloured mana. I guess this is probably even more freeing though.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

parasitic 6th color
You REALLY don't know what this term means if you think colorless mana requirements are parasitic.

Also, do people not remember that a bunch of the eldrazi spells/drones were straight up colored the first time around? Devoid is just a way to do that while making "colorless matters" broad enough to actually function as a mechanic.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Some Numbers posted:

That's exactly what I mean, don't think of it as a sixth color for Converge and Sunburst, and don't count Waste as a 6th land type for Domain.

If it works the way we think it does.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Someone, I think it was BJPaskoff, mentioned how Split Second's name is misleading.

The biggest problem with Split Second is people assuming you can cast a split second card any time they can cast an Instant, even if the card is a Sorcery or an Enchantment without flash.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Sigma-X posted:

How does it feel to be the old man that hates all change?

The upside is pretty obvious - it allows them to print cards which work better in 2 or 3 color strategies than in 4c/5c ones, rather than just being assimilated into the Omnideck. A card that costs (for example) ◇BG is effectively a triple-color-cost card, without actually being three colors.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I kinda want to go back to when Bestow was first spoiled because I'm pretty sure we had the same multi-page discussion of people sure nobody would ever understand it ever, which is a problem that will last the pre-release and maybe a draft or two.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

The design space can just be "this artifact would have been a {5} or else it would be too good and every deck would run it without any other changes so instead it's {1}{D}{D} and to run it you have to commit"

odiv posted:

They've already kind of had this opportunity for a while when they made artifacts that required coloured mana. I guess this is probably even more freeing though.

Coloured artifacts bring in an extra frame, and they don't use them all the time (I think it was because they want to keep artifacts more different from enchantments?).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Look, I bounced your target so your spell fizzles. Why is that so hard to understand!?

quote:

Coloured artifacts bring in an extra frame, and they don't use them all the time (I think it was because they want to keep artifacts more different from enchantments?).

Also, If you're running an artifact that costs WW, then you can run Path in modern and you don't have to worry about your manabase. If you're running one that costs two colourless then...

Though I guess they don't really design with modern in mind, it's interesting.

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 8, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Hey they weren't kidding, about this being a "Great Distortion" (of the rules, and peoples' commonly held assumptions and understandings, of them), huh

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It further complicates the game for no real long term benefit.

Like someone said before if you want to cast Ob Nix you need (3)BB it's still 5 no matter how you cut it UUUBB (for example). By now saying you can use Waste/Waste/Waste/BB you're still achieving basically the same outcome. Now you just have to further complicate things in your 60 card deck if you have say a total of 7 Diamond symbols in there, you now need to figure out how many additional wastes you need to run in your deck in addition to your already basic lands, manlands, whatever lands are in the format at that point.

I don't really think it futher complicates the game. Think of it as two parts:

First: They are adding a colorless mana symbol. This is a sweeping change across all of magic

Second: Special cards will require colorless mana in their costs. This is an OGW thing.

The first one is about making the game more easy to learn. Now when you see that you have a card that costs {1} and a land that makes {R} and an artifact that makes {1}, you're inclined to think that you need to use the {1} to pay for the {1}, because that's how it works with other things. Changing this removes a special exception that you have to learn that this one symbol means two things in two different places. Now there's a symbol for each of them.

The second one is just a minor thing that isn't really designed for long term benefit. It's just a thing that you can do now that you have the first.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
True colorless is a neat mechanic for Eldrazi, but I don't see it being evergreen. I think at most it'll be like hybrid mana and just used occasionally where it's needed.

The more often it gets used in costing spells and abilities, the more it will feel like a permanent 6th color, which I would guess WotC wants to avoid.

Changing colorless production to a unique icon is cool and probably helps understanding in the long run. It'll confuse people in the short run for sure though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

odiv posted:

Look, I bounced your target so your spell fizzles. Why is that so hard to understand!?

Removing fizzling is up there with removing the hand size rule for rules changes I want to and expect to see someday. All spells and abilities should resolve as much as they can, just like spells with multiple targets do when one target disappears.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

The biggest problem with Split Second is people assuming you can cast a split second card any time they can cast an Instant, even if the card is a Sorcery or an Enchantment without flash.

I think this comes from a deeper issue people have with understanding how spells work. They think of things in terms of "speed." An instant is faster than a sorcery, and an interrupt is faster than an instant.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I wonder if they'll actually print a spreading seas equivalent of wastes.

It'd fit thematically in the set, and was designed pretty much specifically to counteract greedy Jund manabases back in the day, yeah?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Same. Grogs are gonna be grogs when it comes to good design space that hasn't been used yet - at least in this game.

Seriously guys it's as basic as wanting to have a <><> mana leak or having <>/(2) costs. It's not hard. Maybe it'll get people to play more colorless lands in modern.

The colorless purchase and creation mismatch was something I struggled with early on. This just closes that hole.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

Wrong on all counts, congrats!

It's in fact an elegant and clever way to solve multiple problems, remove a longstanding ambiguity, and deepen limited with no downside aside from, "we didn't used to have it," which is a meaningless argument applicable to literally anything new.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Kalli posted:

I wonder if they'll actually print a spreading seas equivalent of wastes.

It'd fit thematically in the set, and was designed pretty much specifically to counteract greedy Jund manabases back in the day, yeah?

Waste Land confirmed.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If new Kozilek just said in the text box "At least two mana used to cast Kozilek must be colorless" would that be a dumb mechanic? I don't think so, and it certainly doesn't fit the definition of 'parasitic'

I don't understand the criticism of this

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

stinkles1112 posted:

If new Kozilek just said in the text box "At least two mana used to cast Kozilek must be colorless" would that be a dumb mechanic? I don't think so, and it certainly doesn't fit the definition of 'parasitic'

It's new and therefore wrong and bad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

stinkles1112 posted:

It's mostly based on people misunderstanding how it's going to work.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Oh yeah I forgot what thread I was reading

Edit: how do you type the little black diamond?

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 8, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm absolutely stunned that people cannot grasp that D must be payed with colorless mana.

How is that difficult to grasp? That is literally the entire loving point.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

stinkles1112 posted:

Oh yeah I forgot what thread I was reading

Edit: how do you type the little black diamond?

The unicode for it is & #9671;

If you remove the space, you get ◇

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Or you can hold ALT and hit 4 on your numpad.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Niton posted:

How does it feel to be the old man that hates all change?

The upside is pretty obvious - it allows them to print cards which work better in 2 or 3 color strategies than in 4c/5c ones, rather than just being assimilated into the Omnideck. A card that costs (for example) ◇BG is effectively a triple-color-cost card, without actually being three colors.

♦BG is not cost-wise different than WBG, which is why I'm calling it a backdoor 6th color. It's exactly the same functionality as another color, and it's being done for bad reasons (supporting their bad colorless flavor for eldrazi this go around).

A ♦BG card does not work better in a 2 color strategy than a 3 color strategy, it works in a different 3 color strategy.

I don't think they're going to warp the game forever by making ♦ costs an evergreen and oft-used mechanic, because that just further cements it as a bad 6th color, but they're doing it for flavor reasons here and it is dumb as hell.

Differentiating between colorless mana and generic mana costs is the sort of thing that bothers designers but not players because the difference has never once mattered until now.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

It's still really stupid and hopefully it's a set only thing. (It won't be)

If they made a new kozilek thst just said in the text box 2 of the mana to cast him must be colorless and had a new land that tapped for (1) would it be stupid?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I like the assertion that something is 'dumb' and 'bad' without actually stating what is dumb/bad about it. Please explain yourself instead of going on a rant.

It totally is a backdoor 6th color, it just comes without any of the parasitism or demands for future printings that a 6th color would bring. They can bring this back or not as they will, because the only requirement for it, colorless mana, will remain a mainstay of Magic. It could only appear in this set and it'll still work fine.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 8, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I can see it being like hybrid mana in that it's very low-impact in terms of comprehension complexity. But it does have less places where it can go, as it needs a lot more support from the set in order to work.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh neat I didn't think to use 🔷♦️🔶 symbol on my phone. Could even use ⤵️↪️↩️ for tap/untap.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

cheetah7071 posted:

Removing fizzling is up there with removing the hand size rule for rules changes I want to and expect to see someday. All spells and abilities should resolve as much as they can, just like spells with multiple targets do when one target disappears.

Spells with multiple targets don't fizzle when one of them is removed/becomes illegal. Only spells with a single target do.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Sigma-X posted:

♦BG is not cost-wise different than WBG, which is why I'm calling it a backdoor 6th color. It's exactly the same functionality as another color, and it's being done for bad reasons (supporting their bad colorless flavor for eldrazi this go around).

A ♦BG card does not work better in a 2 color strategy than a 3 color strategy, it works in a different 3 color strategy.

The WBG card can be cast off of a mana base consisting of Fetches and Shocklands, with a couple of basics of each type. The ♦BG card cannot. The fact that ♦ cannot be produced by fetchable duals is a very significant point, and not one that I expect to change at any time in the near future.

Yes, the design space is obviously that of a sixth color, but a "sixth color" that doesn't use Fetchlands as part of its gameplan is a good thing for Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cernunnos posted:

Spells with multiple targets don't fizzle when one of them is removed/becomes illegal. Only spells with a single target fizzle when their target is removed.

Yeah that's exactly what he was saying.

• Locked thread