Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Had a decent game night at my neighbor's place last night. He wanted me to bring Descent over, but we had a bit of a hitch - tablewise, all the guy had was a small card table that was in no way big enough to handle either Descent or Kemet, so we played some lighter stuff for the evening and a good time was had by all.

Welcome to the Dungeon is a D&D-themed Skull and went over well. I notice people tend to underestimate the strength of The Rogue and overestimate the strength of The Mage, for what its worth.

Boss Monster was... eh? It's cute and light, but annoyingly luck-driven. I got pounded on turn one by three clerics without any way to avoid it, but I eventually recovered and managed to get a few good room-combos going. (Creature menagerie and labyrinth).

But things soon recovered thanks to good ol' Codenames. Enough's been said about it already, so all I'll add is that the whole game feels like a 70's gameshow in all the right ways. I can easily imagine Allen Ludden telling players to be on the looking for the.... deadly assassin. (ominous horn sound)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Want a healthy dose of Fremdschämen?

Pandemic Legacy: Inside the Box

Oh god, the laugh track. I barely lasted a minute before it got too irritating.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Want a healthy dose of Fremdschämen?

Pandemic Legacy: Inside the Box

I wanted to see how this played and could still barely stand 5 minutes of jumping around the video.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Eh, can't hate on these guys. Yes, it is obnoxious, but they're actually trying, both in terms of production values, and retaining informational value undearneath dumb jokes, without just stopping everything for exposition. It's also kinda cool that they're trying something else than being a clone of Vasel/Tabletop/SUSD/one of those other wannabe-shows that have heads up their asses in terms of their unfunny characters, storylines and poo poo (I noticed that here no one is even really named, because they actually get down to the game itself). I think what they were going for was not a bad idea for something like an early susd equivalent, if obviously the execution isn't there.

I also think there's some degree of self awareness what with the use of the laugh track, though that might be me imagining this to retain sanity.

[edit] Also the dedication to gently caress up a copy of Pandemic: Legacy just for their youtube.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 8, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Tekopo posted:

Man I'm never gonna be deceived by SU&SD reviews again. The one for Pandemic Legacy was legit but christ is Mafia de Cuba a dumpster fire of a game. Even disregarding the broken strategy it fails: it asks people to first of all not pay attention to the game in order for it to work and then it has one player be the center of attention while other people barely have any say in the game at all. I got distracted by all of the talk of 'sexy' components and should have done my research. The earlier I get rid of it the better. Too much loving downtime for a party game.
Thanks for this post: I drat nearly ordered Mafia de Cuba based on the SUSD video as it looked ace and didn't sound like it had any problems at all.

:(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I would really like someone to create a series of fast tutorial videos for games that present the rules and gameplay in a concise, narrated, visual way. There are a lot who try, but it's a lot of unscripted babbling, tangents, umms and ahhs while waving around components and cards in front of the camera.

Basically, I want the Fantasy Flight Games-quality of youtube tutorial to exist for every game. (which makes up for their mediocre rulebooks, at least at first)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Archenteron posted:

Did you seal a gate every turn, or find and use the Wake The Ancient One magic book and bopped it in the nose?

It's theoretically possible to win the game within about 30 seconds, by having a one player game with Luke Robinson (who starts in the Dreamlands) and draw Find Gate, or a two player game where the other investigator is Akachi Onyele (to win by closing you need to have as many gate trophies as investigators, to win by sealing you need to have six seals on the board)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I would really like someone to create a series of fast tutorial videos for games that present the rules and gameplay in a concise, narrated, visual way. There are a lot who try, but it's a lot of unscripted babbling, tangents, umms and ahhs while waving around components and cards in front of the camera.
I wouldn't say they're fast-paced, but Watch It Played doesn't do voices or skits or dumb gimmicks, but are focused on clearly presenting how to actually play the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gently caress it, I'll make some. I have a full suite of DSLR equipment, studio lighting, and podcasting audio equipment. I have a pretty large range of games too. I think 10 minutes or less is a good target for teaching setup/rules/example turn. Anything else I should consider?

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress it, I'll make some. I have a full suite of DSLR equipment, studio lighting, and podcasting audio equipment. I have a pretty large range of games too. I think 10 minutes or less is a good target for teaching setup/rules/example turn. Anything else I should consider?

Stack the deck. Write a script.

Most reviewers don't bother with either, and it shows.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, considered that for relevant games as well. I teach tutorials on another channel for something else and seem to do well with about 20k subs, so I'm not going into this blindly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Personally, I find a good "how to play" video more useful than a review because they tend to be better indicators of if a game's going to be something I enjoy.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Doing a general "is it worth it" or something would be cool.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So my local board gaming store is moving across town and didn't want to move some boardgames. They posted on facebook that they would take any offer for the games, starting at 3 bucks. Well, I bought the entire inventory for 100 bucks.

Here is the list of games: http://pastebin.com/ZquQ60wb

Here is a lovely picture. I got a complete copy of the first printing of Warhammer Quest and Blood Bowl.

Oh, and the complete Dominion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Personally, I find a good "how to play" video more useful than a review because they tend to be better indicators of if a game's going to be something I enjoy.

Yeah, I was thinking more a here's how to setup and play and quick rules overview more than rambling review stuff.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, I was thinking more a here's how to setup and play and quick rules overview more than rambling review stuff.

If you can find a good way to include it, I find seeing sample turns really helpful. It's one thing to learn the rules, but a couple sample turns can really cement how the game is supposed to flow.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Everything I ever wanted out of a board game review video has been a 10 minute explanation of how to play a game to teach me and my friends the rules. Unfortunately most of the videos out there are like 20 minutes long which is a bit much, and they include an actual review section. Just tell us how to play the loving game. Maybe make the review part of a playlist?

I guess the thing I would do if I was doing it would be to have the thing cut up into chunks. Game setup and component explanation with a short explanation of what the win condition is, a sample turn that shows everything you can really do, and then a full explanation of the rules. For bonus points, when you explain a rule, do some title editing to cite the page of the rulebook you're talking about.

And you don't need to try to be funny or entertaining.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 9, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Flaggy posted:

So my local board gaming store is moving across town and didn't want to move some boardgames. They posted on facebook that they would take any offer for the games, starting at 3 bucks. Well, I bought the entire inventory for 100 bucks.

Here is a lovely picture. I got a complete copy of the first printing of Warhammer Quest and Blood Bowl.

Is...is that an original Blood Bowl set?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Flaggy posted:

dude Filthy Rich is in that list you fucker

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Flaggy posted:

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

signalnoise posted:

Everything I ever wanted out of a board game review video has been a 10 minute explanation of how to play a game to teach me and my friends the rules. Unfortunately most of the videos out there are like 20 minutes long which is a bit much, and they include an actual review section. Just tell us how to play the loving game. Maybe make the review part of a playlist?

I guess the thing I would do if I was doing it would be to have the thing cut up into chunks. Game setup and component explanation with a short explanation of what the win condition is, a sample turn that shows everything you can really do, and then a full explanation of the rules. For bonus points, when you explain a rule, do some title editing to cite the page of the rulebook you're talking about.

And you don't need to try to be funny or entertaining.

Watch It Played does a good job keeping any sort of personal opinions out of videos, nor does it try for jokes or skits aside from a handful of dad puns here and there, and its tutorial videos clock in around 15-20 minutes. Copper Country has a similar rule breakdown on their site divided over multiple videos, and that clocks in around 20 minutes for a light-midweight game. I don't know how viable a 10 minute instructional video is, even without all the window dressing.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes. It is complete.

Magnetic North posted:

dude Filthy Rich is in that list you fucker

Never heard of it.

I am selling most of it. So if there is something you see.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Countblanc posted:

Watch It Played does a good job keeping any sort of personal opinions out of videos, nor does it try for jokes or skits aside from a handful of dad puns here and there, and its tutorial videos clock in around 15-20 minutes. Copper Country has a similar rule breakdown on their site divided over multiple videos, and that clocks in around 20 minutes for a light-midweight game. I don't know how viable a 10 minute instructional video is, even without all the window dressing.

I suppose it depends on the game. But yeah Watchitplayed is my go-to. That and Drivethrureview

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think you'd be better off making the videos as long as they need to be to explain everything, maybe breaking things up for really involved games.

Like, you can probably explain Dominion in ~20 minutes, but I wouldn't try that with, say, something like Forge War.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Flaggy posted:

Never heard of it.

Give it a try before selling it. It is a sentimental favorite of mine. There is no other game quite like it that I am aware of, but it is not the most mechanically strong or balanced.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bottom Liner posted:

To me, an important part of any tutorial is an explanation of basic strategy. It sucks to get told "here's a bunch of ways to score points" without pointing out that the people who win usually do so in one of a few ways.

For example, in 7 Wonders two traps people fall in are focusing too much on building their pyramids or on building military cards early on.
Explaining the strategy of focusing on collecting a bunch of blue cards or a bunch of science cards allows players to spot when other players are trying to run away with the game.
And also the idea of hate-drafting, either trashing or building into your pyramid a card that you know will be useful to an opponent in order to deny her the chance to use it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have that same Blood Bowl set but I am nearly positive there was at least a set before that too that was in a box the size of the Warhammer Quest box.

Also, you can sell that Warhammer Quest box for an obscene amount of money. That is an incredible haul and I'm very jealous!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Flaggy posted:

I am selling most of it. So if there is something you see.

How much do you want for Maria?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think you'd be better off making the videos as long as they need to be to explain everything, maybe breaking things up for really involved games.

Like, you can probably explain Dominion in ~20 minutes, but I wouldn't try that with, say, something like Forge War.

If you need 20 minutes to explain Dominion, you need to not make videos. We did Caverna in full in under 13, and that was with a corporate-mandated Three Dad Joke Minimum.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CaptainRightful posted:

How much do you want for Maria?

It says its going for 60 on Amazon and 80 on Ebay. So $40 shipped?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

If you need 20 minutes to explain Dominion, you need to not make videos. We did Caverna in full in under 13, and that was with a corporate-mandated Three Dad Joke Minimum.

I'm just putting numbers with games as an example. Trying to hammer something into a smaller timeframe than needed to hit some "maximum allowed time" is pretty silly.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Flaggy posted:

Is that the really OOP Colosseum?

e: Genoa too...man I love auction games but I have so many.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 9, 2015

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

Is that the really OOP Colosseum?

e: Genoa too...man I love auction games but I have so many.

It sure is.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

canyoneer posted:

To me, an important part of any tutorial is an explanation of basic strategy. It sucks to get told "here's a bunch of ways to score points" without pointing out that the people who win usually do so in one of a few ways.

It might not be possible if you haven't played the game a lot, and if you are doing an explanation of how games are played and doing a large volume of them you might not know what are viable. Some people might also consider giving strategies to be "spoiler" territory in that they enjoy figuring out themselves what the best ways to play are. Honestly, for me, more Watch It Played style videos would be completely fine; take as much time as is needed because trying to shorten things if you can't is not helping anyone.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

foxxtrot posted:

Stack the deck. Write a script.

Rahdo - "Okay, so on my turn, I think I'll do...this, wait...maybe I'll do this. Aha! Wait! I'll do this instead"

All 3 actions of which no one gives a gently caress because they're just trying to see a single turn of gameplay.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

Rahdo - "Okay, so on my turn, I think I'll do...this, wait...maybe I'll do this. Aha! Wait! I'll do this instead"

All 3 actions of which no one gives a gently caress because they're just trying to see a single turn of gameplay.

You forgot his "oh wait, I forgot to mention this rule" recursions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like when he thinks of a different move for his phantom player a turn later, as if someone not even playing should care what their best option was.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm just putting numbers with games as an example. Trying to hammer something into a smaller timeframe than needed to hit some "maximum allowed time" is pretty silly.

About 5 minutes is all it takes for an amazing review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHzYtuHBA

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elysium posted:

About 5 minutes is all it takes for an amazing review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHzYtuHBA

A review, sure, but we're talking about tutorials. UFBRT is great if you know the rules for the game from years ago and need a reminder, but I can't imagine actually learning the game from scratch with them (but they aren't intended for that anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Any thoughts on Shadowrun: Crossfire? My wife was looking for a few extra Xmas ideas and I was thinking of maybe either that or Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game.