Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Calaveron posted:

Man how are people finding all of these party members, I'm in chapter 7 and I only have the characters the game's given me via story

Bozé, Phog, Alexa, and Hope are all from missions on the Mission Board (Backup Request, Backup Request, Guinea Pigs Wanted!, and Marry Me! respectively). The rest (except Mia) are from Affinity Missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a better way to target a specific body part on the larger monsters other than just hope you angle the camera in such a way that the part you want autotargets (and then you lock it if you're fast enough)? I read the manual and that's pretty much all it says about that. Target cycling seems to only cycle between different monsters, not bodyparts.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a better way to target a specific body part on the larger monsters other than just hope you angle the camera in such a way that the part you want autotargets (and then you lock it if you're fast enough)? I read the manual and that's pretty much all it says about that. Target cycling seems to only cycle between different monsters, not bodyparts.

Move closer to it. Then lock onto it by pressing down R3.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fhqwhgads posted:

That seems to be it. I think they wanted to design around it being a thing to try and target what you want, because you have stuff like the spiders with the acid sac that's protected from targeting by their pincers from the front but you can still circle around to get a lock, and tectinsulas with gas sacs on their stomach you can target by flanking, but that's hardly an excuse because it kind of sucks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

Man how are people finding all of these party members, I'm in chapter 7 and I only have the characters the game's given me via story

Explore the Administrative/Industrial/Commercial districts. You should find a ton of stuff marked on your map, and most of the lower level stuff unlocks new party members (especially if it limits your party to 3 people).

Find those Affinity mission symbols.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Generally speaking, explore NLA. There's new poo poo there pretty much every chapter, it's super cool to see it develop. I can totally understand people not having the nigh-autistic patience I have for checking in with every NPC after every major story event, but honestly those are sparse enough it's not THAT big of a deal.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just driving myself insane looking for Mia in Noctilum to start her second quest, she's supposed to be in the Seabound Coil tree, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, do the districts in NLA actually expand over time or do they stay partially-built with a gaping hole in the middle?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Alard posted:

I'm just driving myself insane looking for Mia in Noctilum to start her second quest, she's supposed to be in the Seabound Coil tree, right?

Yeah, she's near the very top of the tree once you've beaten chapter 5.

EDIT: Wait no, I'm dumb, you said Seabound. She's in the Skybound tree.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 9, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Man that chapter 10 boss was cool. What was even cooler was that the impenetrable fog weather arrived just in time for me killing the boss so here's my post-boss cutscene kill shot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got my flying ability. :homebrew: Now the real Xenoblade X begins.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Dastardly posted:

Man that chapter 10 boss was cool. What was even cooler was that the impenetrable fog weather arrived just in time for me killing the boss so here's my post-boss cutscene kill shot.

I had that happen when I was doing Alexa's unlock, which left me with no actual idea of what I had just agreed to kill.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, do the districts in NLA actually expand over time or do they stay partially-built with a gaping hole in the middle?

The landmass stays mostly unchanged, but new buildings and structures will pop up. And new NPCs move in all over and make it a ton more crowded and alive.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Saigyouji posted:

Yeah, she's near the very top of the tree once you've beaten chapter 5.

Is there any other requirement besides having done her first quest and having beaten chapter 5? I looked around for her when I was in the area and she couldn't be found. Unless there just happen to be two giant spiraly tree things in Noctilum and I was looking at the wrong one somehow.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Generally speaking, explore NLA. There's new poo poo there pretty much every chapter, it's super cool to see it develop. I can totally understand people not having the nigh-autistic patience I have for checking in with every NPC after every major story event, but honestly those are sparse enough it's not THAT big of a deal.

Any Trails in the Sky player should be right at home with it, though. :v: Frankly, it's cool seeing another game/company put that kind of effort into a place.

Anyway I'm on the spreadsheet, let's do some squad stuff goons, I want to laser things incredibly hard.

Also have I mentioned this game has some fuckin' views

because this game has some fuckin' views.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is it worth getting a skell gear set together? With how annoying it is to swap gear out I'm not sure if the bonuses are worth it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Is there any other requirement besides having done her first quest and having beaten chapter 5? I looked around for her when I was in the area and she couldn't be found. Unless there just happen to be two giant spiraly tree things in Noctilum and I was looking at the wrong one somehow.

It's the hex the arrow is in, up in the Decapotamon.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a guide to optimizing your probes in some way? Like which kinds of probes to use based on the ratings of the area?

Also, is there a requirement to do something before being able to get new skills for a class? The game is telling me I haven't learned a skill yet when I try to slot it.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 9, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a guide to optimizing your probes in some way? Like which kinds of probes to use based on the ratings of the area?

Also, is there a requirement to do something before being able to get new skills for a class? The game is telling me I haven't learned a skill yet when I try to slot it.

Skills are tied to class level to unlock them, they should say on the little stat card what level. Ditto Arts.

There are also a bunch of Arts you unlock via affinity missions with your various party members which tend to be pretty good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely enjoy exploring in this more than in Fallout or Witcher in terms of just sheer actual exploration. Not only can you jump without breaking your legs from a 3 inch drop but the general art design of the environments is largely fuckin' breathtaking which is never is in Fallout and noticeably less in Witcher.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely enjoy exploring in this more than in Fallout or Witcher in terms of just sheer actual exploration. Not only can you jump without breaking your legs from a 3 inch drop but the general art design of the environments is largely fuckin' breathtaking which is never is in Fallout and noticeably less in Witcher.

:agreed:

I've never had this much fun exploring in a game. The art design, level design and enemy ecology all come together fantastically to make the world really interesting and dangerous to explore, even just trying to sneak past some high level enemies to reach a probe site in the distance can be really fun and rewarding. The sprint and power jump both really help too, it was a really good call to make movement so snappy and powerful for a game of this scale, it seems like a really obvious thing to do but I can't think of another open world game where movement is so liberating. It reminds me alot of my days goofing around with level 1 characters on vanilla WoW, just checking out the level geometry and going on epic treks around the world, only they've built an entire coherent game around the concept.

Obviously there's things they could have handled better, such as the questing and party/inventory management but when I'm spending 95% of my time out exploring this insanely vast and detailed alien planet it doesn't really detract from the experience in any significant way, I'm just having too much fun discovering hidden waterfall plateaus and hunting down boss monsters

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The lack of gear set saving is such a disappointment, you can do some cool poo poo to tackle Tyrants 'early' with the right gear (I trashed that electrowhale with 100 elec resist), but swapping your gear around is such a pain in the rear end, much less doing so on a ton of optional characters.

Such a simple quality of life feature :(

Maybe they'll patch it in! :laffo:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

It hits the long neglected morrowind centers of my brain.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The movement's so good I was kind of disappointed when I realized there wouldn't be any metroidy upgrades but then I remembered oh yeah

skells

and now I'm almost done with chapter 6...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Saigyouji posted:

Haha, there ARE two goddamn giant spiraly trees. Well drat.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Donnerberg posted:

So I'm a big dumb dumb who apparently needs things spelled out.

I cleared my HD and it had 25GB free. Not thinking ahead and completely misunderstanding the OP, I got the 23GB install and thought all would be well. It's now miraculously installing despite there being 2 GB left. 30 minutes to go. Is the install process smart enough to delete itself as it goes, or am I headed up poo poo creek?

The 23 gigs is how much it needs to install itself, the final size will be be about 19.3 gigs.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

am i an idiot for just always pressing Equip Strongest gear

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with Witcher 3 is that most of the time movement is a struggle because Roach is an idiot or because yeah, Geralt's got the ankles of a newborn babe, and movement in Fallout 4 is slow and plodding even with the addition of sprinting.
Moving around in XBX is a joy, since you're really fast, can jump really high, and there's no fall damage. It all comes together really nicely.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

pissdude posted:

Not really

You should be playing dressup with the fashion gear though

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Where the hell are those drat Wise Aprica? I want to see some weird deer things.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

pissdude posted:

Maybe. Augments make a big difference.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

Thank you, this helped me finally finish that quest, though I shouldn't have been reading Skybound as Seabound in the first place.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not really

You should be playing dressup with the fashion gear though

sometimes I'll pick weapons based on fashion

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Accidentally knocked a boss off a cliff when it only had a sliver of health left. The fight ended and it respawned at full health. Cool.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

...So the Mastema kinda trivialises Chapter 8, huh?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Are there any decently quick ways to get affinity? Battle works along with side quests but it just seems so slooooowwwwww

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

First Wii U game for me. Is it incredibly common to think about how much better the gamepad screen could be used? Like the hexes are fine but man if I could do inventory management / mission tracking / basically anything on the gamepad it would be sweeeet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking forward to someone putting together a recommended probe placement guide.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Phog's outfit looks like the comfiest clothes you could wear out in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Recommended probe placement: you don't get a choice for the better part of the game because everything but mining probes are rare as poo poo so have fun building up enough mining that it outstrips your storage capacity in one tick.

e. scratch that, I wish indigen poo poo came with storage probes so taking biology would be important.

• Locked thread