Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

I'm playing them all at once :shepface:

Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the objective of the game for me at least was to point out that the two songs have the exact same guitar hook and it bothers me nobody else seems to have noticed

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Alaois posted:

the objective of the game for me at least was to point out that the two songs have the exact same guitar hook and it bothers me nobody else seems to have noticed

Did you say something about the hook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Best part of Napster was finding the poorly named files.

Songfromfightclub.mpg for Where Is My Mind or Gin_And_Juice_Phish.mp3 were both really popular.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
System_of_a_down_Zelda_song_RARE.mp3

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mighty_mighty_bosstones_super_mario.mp3

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Songfromfightclub.mpg for Where Is My Mind or Gin_And_Juice_Phish.mp3 were both really popular.

One of my old Napster hobbies was to find as many songs misattributed to Rammstein as possible. Every single song that was written in German, whether it sounded like Rammstein or not, was labelled "Rammstein." It even bled into songs that weren't in German. I'd even find songs by Russian acoustic bands that said "Rammstein."

Nobody could ever be assed to do any research, either. At least some of them made sense. Neu Deutsche Härte bands at least sound similar to Rammstein but, well, Oomph!, Megaherz, and what have you are not Rammstein.

Wolfheim doesn't sound at all like Rammstein but it didn't matter; it was in German, Peter Hepner must be in Rammstein!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
It's interesting now to watch the early seasons of the Simpsons back to back. The character evolve and the tone shifts very quickly as they are trying different things out. Early on the influence of television was a huge theme running through the show, something I didn't catch onto as a kid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nirvana - i'm a loser baby.mp3

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/notbyal.html

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
Bruce Springsteen - Summer of 69

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wierd al - what if god smoked canibus.mp3

e: beaten by hours, ah well

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ferrule posted:

Scott Weiland's corpse is pretty 90's.

STP was a pretty good band.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Heath posted:

System_of_a_down_Zelda_song_RARE.mp3

So did SOAD actually record that or not? I've heard a Zelda song and the singer sounds a hell of a lot like Serj Tankian.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year posted:

e: beaten by hours, ah well

Basically every parody song has been attributed to Weird Al at some point.

Like that "Elmo's Got A Gun" one. I understand being associated with that one particularly annoys him.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
A good rule of thumb is that if it's dirty or controversial in any way, it's probably not Weird Al. He's very clean. I also believe that even though he's not required to by law, he always gets permission from the artists he parodies, which is why he's never done (for example) a Led Zeppelin parody.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

I really wouldn't be surprised if that particular parody had several independent spawns, but there's oh, I'd say a good chance that it was Bob Rivers/Twisted Radio that did that.

In the 90's Seattle Market there was a great radio station, 99.9 FM, KISW. They were an Album Oriented Rock station, with good management and they had a heavy metal skew in the afternoon and evenings. It really was a great mix for rock with out being purely classic or active which is how all the old AOR stations went.

Anyway, Twisted Radio was the morning show, and it was hosted by Bob, Spike, and Joe, and they were a very cordial show with call ins, and interviews and whatnot without the painfulness of shock jocks. I was probably spoiled for radio hosts because of them as it was pretty much just like a bunch of friends hanging out and bullshitting in the morning while listening to music. Bob had a recording studio in his garage, and they would usually record a new parody song (referred to as "Twisted Tunes") there every week or so, many were topical to the Seattle area of the time.

Also, when artists would come to town, he'd usually have them at his garage to record a couple songs "Live at Bob's Garage."

Apparently it was officially relased on "Best of Twisted Tunes Volume 2"
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Of-Twisted-Tunes-Vol/dp/B000002JE7/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_7

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

So did SOAD actually record that or not? I've heard a Zelda song and the singer sounds a hell of a lot like Serj Tankian.

No. That one was written by a "Joe Pleiman" and recorded by his band "The Rabbit Joint".

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

Xenoletum posted:

Did you say something about the hook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

Did someone say Hook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um8mMa5w41A

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

twistedmentat posted:

That Gin and Juice cover popped up on a Bluegrass Covers playlist I found on Spotify. 15 year old mystery finally solved.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

A good rule of thumb is that if it's dirty or controversial in any way, it's probably not Weird Al. He's very clean. I also believe that even though he's not required to by law, he always gets permission from the artists he parodies, which is why he's never done (for example) a Led Zeppelin parody.

Yeah. After the Amish Paradise debacle, he even now insists on personally asking the artists himself first. For those that don't know, he had one of his people ask one of Coolio's people if it was okay to parody Gangsta's Paradise. The assistant said it was fine without asking Coolio, but everybody else assumed he did. After the song was made, and the album cover made, and the video made, all going with the joke, Coolio found out and was pissed that this nerdy white guy was making dumb jokes about his song about troubled African-American youth. Al got pretty publicly upset that it all happened.

I love how in the Napster era pretty much every song released in the 80s got misattributed at least once. Sometimes to a common level. According to Napster The Cure performed "Come on Eileen" and Pet Shop Boys did the soundtrack to The Neverending Story.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Out of curiosity, is it just a quirk of southern New England or are Sublime and Phish cover bands still popular everywhere?

edit: the industrial music discussion reminded me of VNV Nation - Honour being relabeled as The Tapeworm Project - Slowdriver, giving false hope to legions of NIN fans that the collaboration would actually release music at some point.

I don't know if I would say very clean, Bad Hair Day had "I Remember Larry," a song about a neighborhood kid driving him so crazy with pranks that he ends up murdering the kid, and The Night Santa Went Crazy is about Santa going on a killing spree at the North Pole (plus the single had an "extra gory" version.)

He does, get permission even though he's covered under Fair Use; this comes up in his Behind the Music episode. Coolio was asked about Amish Paradise, and he said that he though it was too serious of a song to make light of with a parody, so one of the producers flat-out lied and told Weird Al it was OK. The opposite happened a couple of years ago over Perform This Way, which Lady Gaga's manager made him actually record before telling Weird Al that she had said no. He put it on Youtube since he wasn't including it on the album and was surprised when Lady Gaga herself contacted him to let him know that she loved the song and approved of it being on the album. https://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/

'90s things: knowing this much about Weird Al.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Dec 8, 2015

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It was weird how no one really noticed at the time that this song is about taking meth

He even says "crystal meth" in the drat song and it was never bleeped out. It always is now when I hear it, so apparently they figured it out at some point.

But seriously, everyone knew what crystal meth was, we talked about it in DARE, so how did that skip on by the censors?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

OctoberBlues posted:

He even says "crystal meth" in the drat song and it was never bleeped out. It always is now when I hear it, so apparently they figured it out at some point.

But seriously, everyone knew what crystal meth was, we talked about it in DARE, so how did that skip on by the censors?

Obligatory mention of the fact that someone at Disney's PR department was one of those missing the Meth references and put it on a commercial for "The Tigger Movie"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

He does, get permission even though he's covered under Fair Use; this comes up in his Behind the Music episode. Coolio was asked about Amish Paradise, and he said that he though it was too serious of a song to make light of with a parody, so one of the producers flat-out lied and told Weird Al it was OK. The opposite happened a couple of years ago over Perform This Way, which Lady Gaga's manager made him actually record before telling Weird Al that she had said no. He put it on Youtube since he wasn't including it on the album and was surprised when Lady Gaga herself contacted him to let him know that she loved the song and approved of it being on the album. https://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/

'90s things: knowing this much about Weird Al.

I've always liked those details. That sort of thing is probably part of why most people remember him at least somewhat fondly instead of "Ugh, that parody rear end in a top hat".

My useless trivia bit I remember from a special (had that bit about coolio, so probably the same one) was how he got the idea for "Like a Surgeon" from Madona saying "I bet Weird Al makes 'Like a Surgeon'".

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Section Z posted:

I've always liked those details. That sort of thing is probably part of why most people remember him at least somewhat fondly instead of "Ugh, that parody rear end in a top hat".

My useless trivia bit I remember from a special (had that bit about coolio, so probably the same one) was how he got the idea for "Like a Surgeon" from Madona saying "I bet Weird Al makes 'Like a Surgeon'".
When he asked Michael Jackson about parodying "Bad" as "Fat," Jackson not only approved but let him know that the original set was still available if he wanted to make a video.

Rather than bogging down the thread with Weird Al Facts, I'll just link his Behind the Music if anyone wants to watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxOWsEgXnVk

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

twistedmentat posted:

Gin_And_Juice_Phish.mp3 were both really popular.

I feel like I was the only one who had a correctly labeled copy of this.

It was The Gourds.

I don't know any of their other stuff, but I was really into cover songs when I was 18/19 (good, bad, the in-between) so I'd just search for cover on Napster, yet amazingly whatever one I found was right.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Mighty_mighty_bosstones_super_mario.mp3

Same with this...it was Mr.Bungle.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel like I was the only one who had a correctly labeled copy of this.

It was The Gourds.

I don't know any of their other stuff, but I was really into cover songs when I was 18/19 (good, bad, the in-between) so I'd just search for cover on Napster, yet amazingly whatever one I found was right.

Same with this...it was Mr.Bungle.

I knew that because I have friends who are huge Mike Patton fans.

And yea, I used to have tons of covers of Depeche Mode, New Order, Joy Division and Smiths covers by everyone you can think of. Some I still have, like a cover of Ceremony by Atlantic Popes (which i later discovered is made up of mostly members of Alphaville). I at one point had nearly 300 versions of Blue Monday and 200 of Enjoy the Silence. Most were crummy, badly recorded at shows, or by bands which had no idea what they're doing.

Though one thing I encountered a few times was a song you'd download and listen to, and then when you put it on an cd, it would become a completely different song. It was weird. There's a get up kids song I had that when I burned it and listened to it, it turned into a completely different song which at the end it says "Hey you should buy cds!". It was weird. I never encountered it outside of it, but I've heard of a few other people encountering it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I think I still have a 96kbps mp3 version of 'A Funkey Called Medina'

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Obligatory mention of the fact that someone at Disney's PR department was one of those missing the Meth references and put it on a commercial for "The Tigger Movie"

There was an only slightly edited version of "Semi-Charmed Life" done by the Chipmunks for one of their movies! I listened to it while reading the original lyrics and it seemed the only lines they changed were "she comes round and she goes down on me", "doing crystal meth will lift you up until you break", and "slide up around the belly, face down on the mattress"

That means that, e.g., the following lines seem to have made it into the Chipmunks version unchanged:
- "I'm packed and I'm holding"
- "chop another line like a coda with a curse"
- "I took the hit that I was given, then I bumped again, then I bumped again"
- "how do I get back there to the place where I fell asleep inside you"
- "those little red panties they pass the test"
- "I'm scared I'm not coming down"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCCedM4Ugs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Considering the Chipmunks look like dealers on the posters, I think the usage of that song is apt.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

twistedmentat posted:

Though one thing I encountered a few times was a song you'd download and listen to, and then when you put it on an cd, it would become a completely different song. It was weird. There's a get up kids song I had that when I burned it and listened to it, it turned into a completely different song which at the end it says "Hey you should buy cds!". It was weird. I never encountered it outside of it, but I've heard of a few other people encountering it.

Similarly I remember getting songs that had AIM message tones mixed in and ones that halfway through turned into ear splitting static.

I think they were released by record labels as a sort of guerilla tactic, to make downloading songs such a crap shoot you wouldn't bother.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

twistedmentat posted:

I got into Mindless Self Indulgence in 10th grade because I downloaded a song tagged as "Orgy - F*ggot"

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

GWBBQ posted:

I don't know if I would say very clean, Bad Hair Day had "I Remember Larry," a song about a neighborhood kid driving him so crazy with pranks that he ends up murdering the kid, and The Night Santa Went Crazy is about Santa going on a killing spree at the North Pole (plus the single had an "extra gory" version.)

Sex and drugs are dirty, violence is just good clean American tradition.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Similarly I remember getting songs that had AIM message tones mixed in and ones that halfway through turned into ear splitting static.

I think they were released by record labels as a sort of guerilla tactic, to make downloading songs such a crap shoot you wouldn't bother.

Sort of. At one point labels started doing that to promotional releases that went to reviewers and bookers and what not. The idea was it would prevent the people who received the modified tracks from making copies and sharing them on the internet but that obviously didn't work.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

OctoberBlues posted:

The liner notes for the album misspells meth as "myth". I've heard it was done on purpose (or left uncorrected when it was discovered) for plausible deniability about what the line really was so they wouldn't get a parental advisory sticker on the album. I heard that on a fan site a billion years ago so take it with a grain of salt.

Seems like there's enough stuff on the album to possibly get an advisory label anyway but who knows.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah. After the Amish Paradise debacle, he even now insists on personally asking the artists himself first. For those that don't know, he had one of his people ask one of Coolio's people if it was okay to parody Gangsta's Paradise. The assistant said it was fine without asking Coolio, but everybody else assumed he did. After the song was made, and the album cover made, and the video made, all going with the joke, Coolio found out and was pissed that this nerdy white guy was making dumb jokes about his song about troubled African-American youth. Al got pretty publicly upset that it all happened.

I love how in the Napster era pretty much every song released in the 80s got misattributed at least once. Sometimes to a common level. According to Napster The Cure performed "Come on Eileen" and Pet Shop Boys did the soundtrack to The Neverending Story.

The best part is that Coolio and Weird Al didn't turn it into a huge rivalry. Given how petulant music industry celebrities can be that was kind of a shocker. They also made up later and Coolio eventually said something to the effect of "yeah ok that was pretty funny in retrospect."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best part is that Coolio and Weird Al didn't turn it into a huge rivalry. Given how petulant music industry celebrities can be that was kind of a shocker. They also made up later and Coolio eventually said something to the effect of "yeah ok that was pretty funny in retrospect."

Not to mention Coolio's song was already a cover of a Stevie Wonder tune, Al could've just gone to Stevie's people and asked and Coolio couldn't do poo poo about it. I always thought that was at least part of why there was never any legal action, but I hated hearing all the crybaby people bitch about someone doing a parody of their favorite "serious dark rap song" like Weird Al had busted their door down and killed their families while making it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ozz81 posted:

Not to mention Coolio's song was already a cover of a Stevie Wonder tune, Al could've just gone to Stevie's people and asked and Coolio couldn't do poo poo about it. I always thought that was at least part of why there was never any legal action, but I hated hearing all the crybaby people bitch about someone doing a parody of their favorite "serious dark rap song" like Weird Al had busted their door down and killed their families while making it.

The main reason there was no legal action was because there couldn't be. Parody (comedy in general, really) has some very strong protection all the way up to the Supreme Court. There was bugger all Coolio could have done. The main reason that Weird Al asks permission is because he isn't a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Of course, there ended up being a reversal of that Coolio situation later on with Al's parody of "You're Beautiful" where Al got James Blunt's permission, but not the label, which caused it to get pulled from the album.