Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yes you can. There is *no* indication as to what you did before being a courier. You could have been a scavenger, prospector, raider, a regular jack off, etc. Fallout 4 says YOU WERE A LAWYER or SOLDIER and that's that.

yes, because you couldn't be a regular jack off before being a soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Someone made fun of it when naming her character before streaming Fallout 4. Her name was "Dr. Lawyer" because she was clearly both a doctor AND a lawyer.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Speedball posted:

Someone made fun of it when naming her character before streaming Fallout 4. Her name was "Dr. Lawyer" because she was clearly both a doctor AND a lawyer.
she's a crime fighting, lawyer-astronaut
record scratching
she knows an awful lot

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Obsidian does some great stuff but they're not magic or infallible, especially not with the awful pressures KOTOR 2 was under. Bethesda games all have a consistent feel to them as far as TES and Fallout go and I wish they'd develop a little more as far as the plots and quests. It's been like iterations on Morrowind since, well, Morrowind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yes you can. There is *no* indication as to what you did before being a courier. You could have been a scavenger, prospector, raider, a regular jack off, etc. Fallout 4 says YOU WERE A LAWYER or SOLDIER and that's that.

There is *no* indication as to what you did before being a soldier/lawyer. You could have been a scavenger, prospector, sociopath, a regular jack off, etc.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Azhais posted:

yes, because you couldn't be a regular jack off before being a soldier.

But that's not as implied in FO 4 as it is in NV.

To avoid a protracted argument, I'll say it is far easier for me and a lot of people to create a unique character with NV's story than in FO 4. In FO 4 you're either a rusty lawyer who quit practicing to become a stay at home mom, or your a veteran who served 4 - 20 years doing XXX. Sure, I suppose you could say you did 14 years as a personnel clerk in the Army, got out to pursue your degree in male anatomy, then WW III, but it doesn't feel as right as in NV.

New Vegas had you dug out of your own unmarked, shallow grave as a courier, already a lowly proposition in a desert wasteland. In FO 4, you're a nuclear family :shobon:

Cojawfee posted:

There is *no* indication as to what you did before being a soldier/lawyer. You could have been a scavenger, prospector, sociopath, a regular jack off, etc.

Uhhhh, if you're a lawyer you probably didn't spend your days being a sociopath, and you weren't being a raider/prospector/scavenger before there was a wasteland to raid/prospect/scavenge.

:cmon:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 9, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Again, the real issue isn't your background, it's the utter and complete lack of meaningful choices to be made.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Uhhhh, if you're a lawyer you probably didn't spend your days being a sociopath, and you weren't being a raider/prospector/scavenger before there was a wasteland to raid/prospect/scavenge.

You can scavenge in any time. I once gave an old tire to a scavenger in my apartment complex. This game has at least two songs about uranium prospecting (which was a real thing in the real life US). I removed raider and replaced it with sociopath. You could be anything before becoming a lawyer. What about being a sociopath precludes you from being a lawyer?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

You can scavenge in any time. I once gave an old tire to a scavenger in my apartment complex. This game has at least two songs about uranium prospecting (which was a real thing in the real life US). I removed raider and replaced it with sociopath. You could be anything before becoming a lawyer. What about being a sociopath precludes you from being a lawyer?

It's probably a benefit to the profession tbh

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NecroMonster posted:

Again, the real issue isn't your background, it's the utter and complete lack of meaningful choices to be made.
pretty much this

you have the breadth of incriminating information when you arrive at the institute and your character doesn't even call out their lovely kid out on it nor can they tell a bunch of people that should know like piper and nick

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's cool having basically no options on how to approach or resolve any situation

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

no way man it's totally the same, you can tell exactly how much approval your character gives to whatever shitbrained scheme anyone exposits

what? you want to suggest something else that is and should be possible within the scope of the quest? :downs:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i tried making pete pippers but the game wont let you have asymmetrical eyes

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Backhand posted:

Patently untrue!

Preston is the whitest dork alive. An eskimo eating wonder bread in a snow storm is not as white as Preston.

"This time, I've got something a little different for you."

*gives you the exact same task he sent you to go do 20 times already but in a different location*

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

you have less personality than a jrpg protagonist and get only slightly more choice in how the story unfolds

players get more flexibility in their portrayal of Commander Shepard than they do of the fallout four family

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Now your problem is this or that, you cannot go with both and claim they are the same.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just missed the ability to talk to people about things, like I went to the Institute and learned all sorts of poo poo I ran to talk to Piper and Nick my options talk were "Thoughts?" "Relationship?" I really wanted some advice or reaction out of that poo poo, like there are so few people you can even like tell that the Institute is ran by your son.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

now bholder has trouble reading the names of posters

this case is worse than we thought

socialsecurity posted:

I just missed the ability to talk to people about things, like I went to the Institute and learned all sorts of poo poo I ran to talk to Piper and Nick my options talk were "Thoughts?" "Relationship?" I really wanted some advice or reaction out of that poo poo, like there are so few people you can even like tell that the Institute is ran by your son.
oh but why :jerkbag: would you need :jerkbag: to do that :jerkbag: they sacrificed a lot of great storytelling :jerkbag: by letting you do the simple thing :jerkbag: of "discuss thing with npc" :jerkbag:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bholder either has really loving bad reading comprehension, or is purposefully ignoring other posts i have made

or maybe both

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Cojawfee posted:

Everything.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

oh but why :jerkbag: would you need :jerkbag: to do that :jerkbag: they sacrificed a lot of great storytelling :jerkbag: by letting you do the simple thing :jerkbag: of "discuss thing with npc" :jerkbag:
no, no you're doing it wrong.
you gotta do it like this:

Bholder posted:

/

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I would love a slightly less exaggerated version of that dreamworks face mod. Scaled back just enough to make poo poo really funny without blowing faces apart.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fereydun posted:

no, no you're doing it wrong.
you gotta do it like this:
that one is slightly inaccurate, the eyes are not angling away from the center and veering further apart

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Yes, I remember this part from the bestest RPG of all time New Vegas, it totally had multiple unique lines of dialog for everything that happened during the game, not just the ones that were connected to their personal quest...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

Yes, I remember this part from the bestest RPG of all time New Vegas, it totally had multiple unique lines of dialog for everything that happened during the game, not just the ones that were connected to their personal quest...
and it did! :eng101:

are you actually literate, because your character loves to go on about a lot of quest poo poo they saw

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 9, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

A single line when you progress a main quest is not "multiple lines of dialog" and it's certainly not "discussing things with npcs"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

well you see he's exaggerating, implying that it doesn't count unless "everything" is like that

while also likely being unaware that new vegas did in fact have a lot of that poo poo.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For my part, the thing with MY SON would bother me less if there wasn't the only-four-options thing.

It'd feel a lot less like HAVE YOU SEEN MY SON SHAUN in every important conversation if it was one or two out of six or seven choices for important conversations instead of one or two out of four choices, even if it all ultimately lead to the same places.

I hope to God that mods can add more than four lines of dialogue, anyway.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

A single line when you progress a main quest is not "multiple lines of dialog" and it's certainly not "discussing things with npcs"
i'm not sure what exactly you are talking about, are you talking about the parts where you could outright lie to people so they don't feel terrible, use your reputation to auto-solve a number of quests (most of which aren't the main quest), or kill caesar and brag about it and talk some guy down into not loving over ncr soldiers

NecroMonster posted:

well you see he's exaggerating, implying that it doesn't count unless "everything" is like that

while also likely being unaware that new vegas did in fact have a lot of that poo poo.
to be fair it can be hard to understand that a lot of that is there if you are illiterate

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Roadie posted:

For my part, the thing with MY SON would bother me less if there wasn't the only-four-options thing.

It'd feel a lot less like HAVE YOU SEEN MY SON SHAUN in every important conversation if it was one or two out of six or seven choices for important conversations instead of one or two out of four choices, even if it all ultimately lead to the same places.

I hope to God that mods can add more than four lines of dialogue, anyway.
just add in a fifth option that makes you char say the psycho/jet lines

that way i can have my char shout 'loving KILL' at everyone they come across

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they also managed to make the engine less broken (300 hour savegames are actually possible in NV with low-footprint mods) at least on PC which was a pretty interesting outcome

Did they really? New Vegas crashed a ton for me, on top of all the usual bugs. I thought that was the experience for everyone given many of the complaints I hear on release were "this game is buggy as hell". It definitely didn't feel better than Fallout 3 in that regard.

Still not as buggy as Fallout 2 though.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

npcs in NV are also often aware of, and will talk about, poo poo that has gone down elsewhere in the mojave

sometimes, depending on what/how you did things, they will or won't know that you are responsible

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Did they really? New Vegas crashed a ton for me, on top of all the usual bugs. I thought that was the experience for everyone given many of the complaints I hear on release were "this game is buggy as hell". It definitely didn't feel better than Fallout 3 in that regard.

Still not as buggy as Fallout 2 though.
the old world blues patch fixed a ton of stability issues on PC

the console versions still were pretty bad though since the engine is insistent on keeping a lot of poo poo into memory even when it shouldn't (rope kid went on about this a few times when asked about the ps3 port in particular)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

King Vidiot posted:

"This time, I've got something a little different for you."

*gives you the exact same task he sent you to go do 20 times already but in a different location*

I was talking to a buddy earlier about assorted Fallout junk, we came to how Ulysses was gonna be a companion and all that in NV at first and how that woulda been pretty cool. I stopped for a minute and asked "You know, have we actually had any black companions in the 3D Fallouts?" before quickly going oh, well alright Preston exists I guess. Then he pointed out that there was also some BoS lady and Jericho maybe? :v:

Also X6 but meh.

But really I wish he was more of anything but good lord does he begin to just fade into the scenery at a rapid pace.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

:downsgun:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeah like, Obsidian actually tore out, fixed, and overhauled a few things. Or at least tried. Unfortunately for them, they had to hand the game off to Bethesda Q&A for testing and welp.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm not sure what exactly you are talking about, are you talking about the parts where you could outright lie to people so they don't feel terrible, use your reputation to auto-solve a number of quests (most of which aren't the main quest), or kill caesar and brag about it and talk some guy down into not loving over ncr soldiers

to be fair it can be hard to understand that a lot of that is there if you are illiterate

I thought we are talking about companion NPCs talking about the current events, not just simply talking to people in video games.

Although right now we are pretending F4's dialogue system is basically Heavy Rain's press X to Shaun and nothing else...

NecroMonster posted:

npcs in NV are also often aware of, and will talk about, poo poo that has gone down elsewhere in the mojave

sometimes, depending on what/how you did things, they will or won't know that you are responsible

Considering many of them will always point you towards "that guy in a chequered suit", no that's not true. Unless you mean the random NPC banter in-between complaining about nuclear winter or the radio news which I'm pretty sure can be found in F4 as well.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Also in New Vegas you could have a conversation with your companion instead of just being told how awesome you are because you picked a lock 20 times.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pwnstar posted:

Also in New Vegas you could have a conversation with your companion instead of just being told how awesome you are because you picked a lock 20 times.

You can do this in Fallout 4 as well though? Off the top of my head when Piper starts talking about how great the news and the truth is you can poo poo all over her dad's sacrifice by telling her he died for nothing. You don't have to agree with your companions about everything, at least from what conversations I've gotten so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pwnstar posted:

Hmm. No it's actually bad because Johnson Nash can't tell if you killed Benny.

• Locked thread