Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Bill Bramhill of the Daily News, that tabloid with the vigorously anti-Trump covers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Rest in peace Obama dressed as the Statue of Liberty.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If those lips get anymore purple they might turn red.

Also, JiHAD

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lemming posted:

Rest in peace Obama dressed as the Statue of Liberty.

He picked a bad time to be cosplaying.

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015

Ground Zero is a lot smaller than I remember, somehow.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

One thing I respect about MacKay's cartooning is that he finds ways to work labels into his cartoons instead of just writing "DEBT" on top of something and calling it a day.

Also his caricatures are pretty recognizable even without labels to begin with.

Before you ask, his Obama is not that great though (example).

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

So how many more comparisons between Trump and Mussolini are we going to see? Because all we need is the futurists and we've officially plunged back in time.

Have you ever heard of a group called the "dark enlightenment"?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JMolen posted:

Have you ever heard of a group called the "dark enlightenment"?

The Futurists at least made some kickass art. The Dark Enlightenment jerks can't draw, write or compose to save their lives

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

DarklyDreaming posted:

The Futurists at least made some kickass art. The Dark Enlightenment jerks can't draw, write or compose to save their lives

If you don't think Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is art, then I don't know what to tell you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Also his caricatures are pretty recognizable even without labels to begin with.
This one's not very good, though. He just looks like a fat baby. In reality it's more of a potato aesthetic.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Trump noticed us!

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump – Donald Trump wouldn’t be the first political figure to go from ridiculous to dangerous before the media and political elites realise the joke was on them"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on...the flooding crisis and Ronnie Wood's fatherhood

Mac on... The Archers doing Calendar Girls on radio for the very first time

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

xthetenth posted:

Where's Pope's?

I was judging and thought that Bors' and Latuff's aren't bad but I realized my mental image of him has been warped. I think Tom Tommorrow has a good one too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

If those lips get anymore purple they might turn red.

Also, JiHAD
In the latest speech, did Obama really still not say the magic words that they are looking for?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the latest speech, did Obama really still not say the magic words that they are looking for?

He actually did call the San Bernadino shootings terrorism, which is what they usually want but he also emphasized that The USA is not at war with Islam. So there's that.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You think some of these people actually watch these things?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Red Mundus posted:

I tried running it manually through google translate but my french sucks (as does googles!) From what I was able to gleam it's a story about a muslim family or something? The sentences I translated weren't exactly nice. Something about blacks and browns rejoicing and at that point I figured it wasn't worth it to keep going.

I always feel conflicted about Hebdo in that the line between satire and "ironic" racism is pencil-thin and easy to cross. At some point missteps and attitudes shift within an organization. I feel the same way about Robert Crumb.

It's basically a hit piece on white liberal guilt. The Padamalgams (pas d'amalgame, "non-mixed" if you will) are basically a family of Portland liberals who loooove the Blacks and the Browns (that's their last names, subtle!) and can't wait to show how superior they are to everyone by rushing to every massacre to enjoin people not to give in to mistrust of other races (except the Chinese, they're Chinese so gently caress 'em -- that's from the article too) but of course they send their kids to all-white schools and don't know any minorities personally from Adam. It's... a strange one. There's definitely a lot of context I'm missing to know where the author's coming from.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gary wants the bodies of terror victims to rot and fester where they lay. A disrespectful cartoon.

Heeeeey, Thanksgiving was like two weeks ago!

Strawman Muslim is using the same argument I've seen way too many fundamentalist Christians use to excuse abortion clinic bombings and mass shootings.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rorus Raz posted:

Strawman Muslim is using the same argument I've seen way too many fundamentalist Christians use to excuse abortion clinic bombings and mass shootings.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Rorus Raz posted:

Heeeeey, Thanksgiving was like two weeks ago!

I guess what it comes down to is that I don't know what it means when you call someone a turkey. The only time I've heard it said outside of Thanksgiving themed political cartoons was that PSA where a drug dealer offers some kid pot and calls him a chicken, and the kid says "hey at least I'm not a turkey," and that never made sense.

Some Birds with Connotations I Understand:
- Vultures
- Crows
- Doves
- Hawks
- Eagles (I guess)
- Anything that has a sports team named after it

Birds That I Don't Think Have Any Intrinsic Iconographic Meaning:
- Turkeys
- I don't know, finches?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Rorus Raz posted:

Not a fan of Devo's later stuff

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

betaraywil posted:

- Turkeys
- I don't know, finches?

Turkeys represents Turkey, at least in English, for pretty much the same reason that Native Americans are Hindu.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

No idea how accurate it is, but turkeys are considered kinda stupid and goofy.

Also they're a bit of a pain in the rear end to cook properly compared to other poultry.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Rorus Raz posted:

When the imam comes on strong, you must whip it

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

betaraywil posted:

I guess what it comes down to is that I don't know what it means when you call someone a turkey. The only time I've heard it said outside of Thanksgiving themed political cartoons was that PSA where a drug dealer offers some kid pot and calls him a chicken, and the kid says "hey at least I'm not a turkey," and that never made sense.

Some Birds with Connotations I Understand:
- Vultures
- Crows
- Doves
- Hawks
- Eagles (I guess)
- Anything that has a sports team named after it

- Turkeys
- I don't know, finches?

A turkey is a bird that is believed to be so loving dumb it will look up into a rainstorm and drown. A turkey is the dumbest of all birds, colloquially. It can't fly. It looks like a nerd. If it was as tall as you you could grab it's dumb neck flap and pull it down and say listen here buster. There is nothing respectable about being a turkey.
You missed an ostrich which is known for burying its head in the sand to ignore problems.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Krinkle posted:

A turkey is a bird that is believed to be so loving dumb it will look up into a rainstorm and drown. A turkey is the dumbest of all birds, colloquially. It can't fly. It looks like a nerd. If it was as tall as you you could grab it's dumb neck flap and pull it down and say listen here buster. There is nothing respectable about being a turkey.
You missed an ostrich which is known for burying its head in the sand to ignore problems.

Wild turkeys are noticeably less stupid than domesticated ones and can fly, actually, though they do so ponderously and without grace, like a garbage truck on a poorly-paved road or your mom lumbering to the buffet line for the fifth time.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

You're also missing the "jive turkey" connotation from the 70's.

Back then, a "turkey" was an insulting term used mostly by "urban types" to mean something along the lines of "rear end in a top hat" or "dickhead".

You saw it a lot on TV where they couldn't use the other words.

Source: I'm an old fart-goon .

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Erdogan is the PM of Turkey. I don't think it goes any deeper than that.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wild turkeys are noticeably less stupid than domesticated ones and can fly, actually, though they do so ponderously and without grace, like a garbage truck on a poorly-paved road or your mom lumbering to the buffet line for the fifth time.

Yeah benjamin franklin thought they were cool enough to be our national symbol instead of basically a vulture with an ego, that makes such awful hisses we dub over them with the red tailed hawk's piercing cry so nobody knows we have a hissing carrion bird that eats roadkill for a mascot.
I must'a misheard some things

The point is when someone calls you a turkey it is not a compliment and everyone in america understands this.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 9, 2015

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Yeah benjamin franklin thought they were cool enough to be our national symbol instead of basically a vulture with an ego, that makes such awful hisses we dub over them with the red tailed hawk's piercing cry so nobody knows we have a hissing carrion bird that eats roadkill for a mascot.

Nah they don't hiss, they have a pathetic gurgling squeak. And they don't eat roadkill, they swarm on literal dumps.

Also I have to give props to Ramirez for so brazenly Not Giving Any Fucks.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Sputnik posted:

Why is the world in fear again?
Why are we marching guns in hand"
Why are the ocean levels rising up?
It's brand new record for 2015.
They Might be Isil's brand new album:
Bloooood

:perfect:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Rorus Raz posted:

Gary wants the bodies of terror victims to rot and fester where they lay. A disrespectful cartoon.

Terror victims represent a very small percentage of gun related deaths in America. Obama is not able to do anything about it, so he is working on something he can change. AGC.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Krinkle posted:

I must'a misheard some things

The point is when someone calls you a turkey it is not a compliment and everyone in america understands this.

Franklin wasn't actually serious about making the turkey the national bird, he suggested it sarcastically to show he felt that pretty much anything would be better than the eagle

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Abyssal Squid posted:

Nah they don't hiss, they have a pathetic gurgling squeak. And they don't eat roadkill, they swarm on literal dumps.

Awwww, Bald Eagles sound adorable :3: and honestly who can't relate to having to dig through massive amounts of garbage to survive?

I'm glad that filthy little cutie is our mascot.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Cuckservative

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oh look. Zed is The Coolest Man. He is laying the Sick Burns Yo and pretending to be That Ash Guy. He is even using the Hottest Memes. This is a storyline I wish to consume.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Did he really just call Jeb Bush a cuck?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sardine Wit posted:

Did he really just call Jeb Bush a cuck?

Muir's an MRA and perpetual, deeply frustrated adolescent, how does this come as a surprise? I don't think this is even the first time he's used it, honestly.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Wonder what Muir would think of Campbell's depiction of Reagan on Fargo this season

Actually, it was probably too subtle for Muir to realize just how mean it was

memy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

memy posted:

Wonder what Muir thinks of Campbell's depiction of Reagan on Fargo this season

Actually, it was probably too subtle for Muir to realize just how mean it was

Uh considering the stuff he references is older than the movie Fargo, I'm sure he doesn't watch the show.

• Locked thread