Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A, get in there and make that party recognize the plight of the drunk cigar smoker and how sin taxes push you towards crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
PT6A get in there and ask what they think about the FAA in teh states doing away with the medical for PPL because of Inohe and his lovely rear end flying.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
edit: ^^^^^
Please love yourself and stop using acronyms.

Is this HAL trying to dox PT6A?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

senae posted:

Get with the times, I've been doxxing all of you :tinfoil:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

senae posted:

edit: ^^^^^
Please love yourself and stop using acronyms.

It's technically aviation terms ok? It was an inside joke to PT6A regarding some bs we laugh at in the aviation thread in A/T

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

HAL_2005 posted:

Daisy, daisy......

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

PT6A get in there and ask what they think about the FAA in teh states doing away with the medical for PPL because of Inohe and his lovely rear end flying.

On the subject of aviation, I'll go in there and ask Brian Jean if he can fly by flapping his giant, goofy loving ears like Dumbo.

I need to be in the same room as that moron like I need a hole in my head.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Careful if you went there and did that you might..get slapped with a lawsuit :confused:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Would totally attend that dinner. Hoe old is that post?

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 8, 2015

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

cougar cub posted:

Would totally attend that dinner. How old is that post?

You can click on the name in a quote to go to the original post. It was made early this morning in the debt thread.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks! Quote links between threads don't work on the windows mobile app (I know, I know - loving windows mobile).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

brucio posted:

The press gallery uses PMSH and PMJT pretty regularly on twitter, and have for a while (PMJT is new, obv)

From last page, but lets please not adopt twitter conventions here. JT is fine I think, if you need to abbreviate. I'd prefer Trudeau or Justin myself.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dreylad posted:

Careful if you went there and did that you might..get slapped with a lawsuit :confused:

You know how I drink. With that crowd, I'm sure that comment would be the least of my issues :v:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFUfEXJq3GQ

More mic drops

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Majuju posted:

21 times since June 2013, with one-third of those coming from Pinterest Mom.

I also use JT a lot~

and "Tom".

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

And I`m not the one who posted that.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

cougar cub posted:

Thanks! Quote links between threads don't work on the windows mobile app (I know, I know - loving windows mobile).

Huh, did not know that (Windows phones are still a thing?). You're welcome!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hahhaa how loving dare that Conservative bring up science like that after 10 years of Harper

Edit: she looks so smug after she sits down but loving owned by that response, ahaha

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 9, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

BattleMaster posted:

Hahhaa how loving dare that Conservative bring up science like that after 10 years of Harper

To be fair it's just a dog and pony show for them, no conservatives believe in science or scientific evidence based research or papers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Edit: she looks so smug after she sits down but loving owned by that response, ahaha

Nothing beats the sudden concern for missing and murdered First Nations women.

They'd better do a good job and quickly :mad: says the party that fought tooth and nail against admitting there was a problem and is now watching the new government do it within a month of gaining power

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

CBC's twitter feed has been heartbreaking today

EDIT: Regarding the inquiry, here are the details

The Government of Canada today announced the launch of a national inquiry to address the high number of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

The Government will immediately begin engaging with survivors, family members and loved ones of victims, as well as National Aboriginal, provincial, and territorial representatives to seek their views on the design and scope of the inquiry. These meetings will be led by the Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, the Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybould, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, and the Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Status of Women.

In the New Year, meetings will continue across Canada that involve family members and a range of provincial, territorial, justice and front-line workers, as well as Indigenous women’s organizations. The Government of Canada believes that an inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls can only be designed after hearing from those directly affected.

A discussion guide has been developed and will soon be available on-line to help focus meetings on this inquiry design process. It highlights important elements and key questions about the inquiry’s potential design. This includes questions about who should conduct the inquiry, the length of the inquiry, who should be heard, and what issues should be considered. Canadians and stakeholders are also encouraged to submit their own answers to these questions in a soon to be launched on-line survey.

At the end of this engagement process, the Government will report back on what has been heard from the participants. The views and ideas expressed by all participants will allow the Government to develop the inquiry, including the mandate, the terms of reference, the format of the Inquiry, and the timeline.

The Government of Canada is strongly committed to an inclusive and respectful engagement process. Balancing a diversity of viewpoints to design the inquiry will respond to the needs and expectations of the survivors, family members, and loved ones of victims.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 9, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hello all. I mentioned the video I was involved in about the Ottawa jail / to some extent the Ontario provincial corrections system. We've finished the last of the editing and it's ready for public consumption. If you're interested, the video itself is about 7 minutes long. It is a student doc, not a professional production, just keep that in mind. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSyBuSsejNU

There's a ton that we weren't able to include, especially about Julie Bilotta's story, but suffice to say the conditions inside the OCDC are pretty dire. I think it's really hosed up that conditions are seemingly worse in what should be one of the "easiest" jails. For the most part when you're in the OCDC you're either serving a short sentence for minor crimes (including weekend sentences), or you're awaiting trial. That short term nature combined with severe overcrowding and understaffing means those prisoners just don't get the same level of attention as more "serious" prisoners serving sentences for violent crimes. The quote that really stuck with me from one of the former inmates, which we didn't include because it was really outside the scope of this doc, was "you go from the sally ann to the shepards to the mission to the jail and back to the sally ann". It's a real cycle for some people, and a big part of that is because they don't go out and serve serious time they never really get the help they need to rehabilitate.

e: One thing that really bothers me is that the Minister and presumably others within the government know drat well that the system is broken, and they say all the right things, but in terms of action nothing really gets better. A lot of people shift the blame back to Harris but we've been under a Liberal government in Ontario long enough that I think that's a piss excuse. Jason Gilbert's quote at the end is really spot on, and kind of depressing.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 9, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Hello all. I mentioned the video I was involved in about the Ottawa jail / to some extent the Ontario provincial corrections system. We've finished the last of the editing and it's ready for public consumption. If you're interested, the video itself is about 7 minutes long. It is a student doc, not a professional production, just keep that in mind. :)

There's a ton that we weren't able to include, especially about Julie Bilotta's story, but suffice to say the conditions inside the OCDC are pretty dire. I think it's really hosed up that conditions are seemingly worse in what should be one of the "easiest" jails. For the most part when you're in the OCDC you're either serving a short sentence for minor crimes (including weekend sentences), or you're awaiting trial. That short term nature combined with severe overcrowding and understaffing means those prisoners just don't get the same level of attention as more "serious" prisoners serving sentences for violent crimes. The quote that really stuck with me from one of the former inmates, which we didn't include because it was really outside the scope of this doc, was "you go from the sally ann to the shepards to the mission to the jail and back to the sally ann". It's a real cycle for some people, and a big part of that is because they don't go out and serve serious time they never really get the help they need to rehabilitate.

e: One thing that really bothers me is that the Minister and presumably others within the government know drat well that the system is broken, and they say all the right things, but in terms of action nothing really gets better. A lot of people shift the blame back to Harris but we've been under a Liberal government in Ontario long enough that I think that's a piss excuse. Jason Gilbert's quote at the end is really spot on, and kind of depressing.

This is really well done, congratulations! I'm impressed that the minister of MCSCS was willing to be in your documentary, hopefully that's a positive sign for the future but, as you say, and as with so many OLP things, they may say all the right things but then turn around and not actually do anything.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
The fact of the matter is that these are prisoners and we have a large population of PT6As who legitimately give no gently caress about them.

I mean its scary how casually most people bring out the prison rape jokes.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Those defectives should just kill themselves. I mean really. They barely even count as human.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Coylter posted:

The fact of the matter is that these are prisoners and we have a large population of PT6As who legitimately give no gently caress about them.

I mean its scary how casually most people bring out the prison rape jokes.

Yeah, it's not a vote getter and it never will be. Thing is I'm pretty much the target market for the tough on crime speeches, but I still recognize we need to treat people as humans, for the simple reason that they come back out into the community. It's as much a cost / benefits argument as an emotional or human rights one. We spend a ton on corrections and justice, and we don't get great bang for our buck.

This was more about just trying to raise awareness of the fact it's a problem than deal in actual solutions. Politically it may not be a huge vote getter, but it's actually been in the news a fair bit lately. Attention is the only way to pressure the government to improve.

The minister is actually pretty receptive in general. He's a really well spoken and knowledgeable guy and as far as I can tell he really does mean well. I think that his hands are tied though: by politics, by bureaucracy, by inertia.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Well if it makes you feel any better, BC has similar problems. Only instead of adult criminals in jail, we do it to minor children in care homes. The vast majority of which are First Nations :toot:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah the one issue I see with focusing on a problem like overcrowding in prisons and jails is that a lot of people legitimately don't care about prisoners and basically think "well, if they didn't want to live in horrible conditions they shouldn't have committed crimes." The average person/voter is very uneducated on how prisons work and what actually increases or decreases crime and recidivism rates. A lot of people think in terms of deterrence, i.e. the worse the punishment is the less people will commit crimes, and therefore actively want to make prisons worse (or bring back the death penalty, which is another common trope). The problem, of course, as I think most of us are aware, is that a) deterrence doesn't work because people who commit crimes generally aren't rationally weighing the chances of getting caught and the potential punishments when they commit crimes; and b) it is way more expensive, both socially/culturally in terms of lost potential, and economically in terms of lost productive activity, to have lovely poorly run overcrowded prisons with no rehabilitation programs, than to have properly funded and operated prisons that try to reintegrate criminals back into society. It seems like a no-brainer when you look at how our system or the American system works and compare it to others overseas, but most people simply don't care about an issue like this and instead take the binary view that lets them say "Criminals? gently caress 'em" and move on with their day.

Be pretty hard to adequately cover this in a 7 minute short though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Talking guns in the US.

:gary:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is 'lost potential' or 'lost productivity' really a factor as long as we haven't achieved full employment?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Yeah the one issue I see with focusing on a problem like overcrowding in prisons and jails is that a lot of people legitimately don't care about prisoners and basically think "well, if they didn't want to live in horrible conditions they shouldn't have committed crimes." The average person/voter is very uneducated on how prisons work and what actually increases or decreases crime and recidivism rates. A lot of people think in terms of deterrence, i.e. the worse the punishment is the less people will commit crimes, and therefore actively want to make prisons worse (or bring back the death penalty, which is another common trope). The problem, of course, as I think most of us are aware, is that a) deterrence doesn't work because people who commit crimes generally aren't rationally weighing the chances of getting caught and the potential punishments when they commit crimes; and b) it is way more expensive, both socially/culturally in terms of lost potential, and economically in terms of lost productive activity, to have lovely poorly run overcrowded prisons with no rehabilitation programs, than to have properly funded and operated prisons that try to reintegrate criminals back into society. It seems like a no-brainer when you look at how our system or the American system works and compare it to others overseas, but most people simply don't care about an issue like this and instead take the binary view that lets them say "Criminals? gently caress 'em" and move on with their day.

Be pretty hard to adequately cover this in a 7 minute short though.

I actually have found people to be really receptive to our message, including random groups I've presented to which include people who are less than friendly to the concept of prisoners as people initially. I think the lack of caring about prisoners is mostly a lack of awareness or ignorance of the issues rather than them fundamentally thinking prisoners aren't people deserving of reasonable treatment. Some of this is certainly me wanting to believe that "if only people are presented with the same information as me they'll come to the same conclusions as me", but it's still by and large been the case so far. There are always going to be youtube commenters in real life, but they're definitely the minority.

Next month I'm presenting this to some wannabe cops, so we'll see how it plays out there.

Also bringing back the death penalty is a whole other issue. I don't think there's a fundamental incompatibility with believing some crimes are worthy of the death penalty while still treating everyone else with decency.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 9, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Canada is back :canada:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

Good video, I wasn't aware of that issue. Also...

Remember mike harris closing facilities and slashing budgets for those having mental issues? They went to the street where they have no support and got arrested, they also go to parliament hill and shoot guards and then harpee has a convenient "terrorist" attack to justify spying on us.

Cons will do anything to balance a budget except cut tax breaks to corps to support "our" communities and those in it who desperately need help.

There needs to be a commission and mikee needs to appear at it, to justify the end result. He shouldn't be able to freely go golfing, he should be shown in the community for what he is. A prevaricating sack of feculence

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Good video, I wasn't aware of that issue. Also...

Remember mike harris closing facilities and slashing budgets for those having mental issues? They went to the street where they have no support and got arrested, they also go to parliament hill and shoot guards and then harpee has a convenient "terrorist" attack to justify spying on us.

Cons will do anything to balance a budget except cut tax breaks to corps to support "our" communities and those in it who desperately need help.

There needs to be a commission and mikee needs to appear at it, to justify the end result. He shouldn't be able to freely go golfing, he should be shown in the community for what he is. A prevaricating sack of feculence

A good post. :respek:

The Liberals dont have any better of a track record in terms of increasing funding or awareness for mental health though. Might actually be worse with the deep cuts theyve done in the past to our health care systems across the country. :smith:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/mental-health-unit-closing-at-st-joe-s-union-warns-of-more-cuts-1.3349914

I also like how we are about to start bringing in more refugees, many of whom are more than likely going to be suffering from mental illnesses like PTSD, with no loving way to support that either.

e: vvv I spent 2 months doing a placement at CAMH (and plan on working there once registered) and I found it to be a pretty amazing place that does quite a lot of good work. Its just very understaffed and underfunded. Like most of our health care system.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 9, 2015

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yeah there's very little support for mental health in the world. Have you guys seen CAMH? People come out of there worse than when they got in. I know a girl who was put there because of a suicide attempt and she's thoroughly traumatized and hosed up by the entire experience there.

Therapists should not be something you have to break the bank to have access to and psychiatrists need to learn not to be quick to try and medicate away every problem due to high patient loads.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

My girlfriend and I listened to this on the way home from the superstore and what a nightmare some of these people were to interview.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Suicides are up 30% in Alberta and the Crisis Line is being flooded with calls, especially with Christmas coming up

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 9, 2022

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Fenrisulfr posted:

You can click on the name in a quote to go to the original post. It was made early this morning in the debt thread.

Yup, table filled nicely. I think Notley is doing one in Feb, stay tuned for the next cross-isle "flash sale".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not at all, that'd be appreciated actually.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 9, 2022