Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Reset Smith posted:

I genuinely wish I knew why people like the Flash TV show. I've tried twice now to get into the show and I just don't get "it". People I know, love and respect like the show and insist it's good but I can't help but feel embarrassed whenever I watch it. I think the show is shooting for a sort of campy fun tone but when I watch it I can't silence the voice in the back of my head saying "well this is just stupid".
To me Berlanti is becoming the new Seth MacFarlane. One modestly successful if problematic show Arrow/Family Guy, has begat an improbable mini TV empire of increasingly crummy shared universe spinoffs i.e. American Dad/Flash and Cleveland Show/Supergirl. And I just realized I am likely the first and last person who will ever compare Supergirl to the Cleveland Show.

The problem is you're going into Flash expecting it to make sense at all times. It's a comic book show, and comic books sometimes make zero sense and go balls out stupid. The sooner you can accept that the sooner you can start enjoying it.

Either that or you're just not a comic book TV person.

And for the record, Flash turned out way better than Arrow, and has the ratings to prove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scyantific posted:

And for the record, Flash turned out way better than Arrow, and has the ratings to prove it.

Well I wouldn't go that far, and using ratings to do it is even dumber. Because no way Walking Dead is better than either and more people watch an episode of that than watch a half season of those.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy A. Person posted:

This thread is just endless stone throwing in a series of glass houses and it's honestly pretty funny

Yeah, as someone who has not watched any of these shows for more than half an episode, I am not getting a great impression of them from everyone constantly arguing about which one is the most like a malignant tumor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

So what do you like in terms of television in general? What is a good show that has hooked you?

Currently? There's very little that I would call great television. Banshee, Justified, Continuum, Daredevil, those were all pretty fantastic. I enjoy Arrow and Flash but I don't pretend for one second that they are not garbage. Doesn't mean I don't love them though. I binged Orange is the New Black a few months ago and found it to be pretty enjoyable.

X-O posted:

Well he did say Gotham which puts a lot in perspective.

I think it was pretty clear that I was kidding.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
I love comics, and I love Agents Shields. I found Daredevil and Jessica Jones to be brilliant entertaining shows , I am up for televised heroics of the super variety. I hope my last post didn't come across like an rear end in a top hat showing up and making GBS threads on a show I don't care for. I WANT to like the Flash and am just genuinely baffled and mystified by the show. Too many smart people keep telling me it's great, so I figure there must be something about it that escapes me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, I like that we can talk poo poo about shows here without causing someone to have a frothing mad nervous breakdown. Not all forums on SA are so inclined.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Flash is the most comic book show to ever be done in live action. Including the bad dialogue, cheesy melodrama, and hero constantly acting dumb to introduce tension. But it also has the ridiculous campy outfits, bombastic powers, and scene chewing villains that make comics great. And it's one of the few live action comic things that just flat out isn't embarrassed about almost anything it's putting on screen, which has been a problem to some extent with every other live action comic thing since X-Men (Jessica Jones example: the scene mocking the actual outfit she wears in the comic along with her name "Jewel").

It's basically the closest we will ever get to something like Batman '66 again, it's just stupid comic fun.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
They had a psychic Gorilla. Twice. gently caress you, that i the best.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

bunnyofdoom posted:

They had a psychic Gorilla. Twice. gently caress you, that i the best.

Yeah, on at least some level you have to commend a show for having Gorilla Grodd as a recurring villain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Well, I like that we can talk poo poo about shows here without causing someone to have a frothing mad nervous breakdown. Not all forums on SA are so inclined.

If you like Heroes Reborn you can go straight to hell though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iZombie may as well actually be about a psychic with how insignificant the brain gimmick is in basically every episode except the most recent one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's insignificant to the cases of the week but there's enough going on in the main story that zombieism is pretty relevant. Especially when it comes to Major.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh man, Constance Zimmer! AoS just got a few points in my book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Argue posted:

It's insignificant to the cases of the week but there's enough going on in the main story that zombieism is pretty relevant. Especially when it comes to Major.

The zombie stuff yeah, but I mean the memory part. It never bothers with how any of that affects other zombies, and it barely ever affects Liv except by making Babineaux clearly the worst detective in the world for not thinking she's a drug addict at this point. They use the Rob Thomas Special final act Hail Mary so often that the visions don't even really help them solve any crimes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I love Flash because it's a show that seems to celebrate it's comic book origins instead of being embarrassed by it. Not every show is stellar and the budget restraints come through write strongly every now and again but it's still fun.
As for Arrow, it had such a great second season that everything since had been a bit of a let down. Still had good episodes but not as tight as it once was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
iZombie isn't as good as it was last season, but it's still easily the best show that's based on a comic book, aside from Jessica Jones.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Blockhouse posted:

Props to Supergirl for pulling off a genuine twist no one spoiled in advance

To be fair, plenty of people around these parts had speculated that Henshaw was actually Martian Manhunter, and not Cyborg Superman, and that the name was a misdirect from Berlanti and Co. They've started doing this with other shows, and now this. Which I guess is fine, especially in this day and age, as long as it isn't too contrived.

Anyway, that was actually, and maybe, the best episode of Supergirl I've seen thus far, but that's not saying much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

iZombie isn't as good as it was last season, but it's still easily the best show that's based on a comic book, aside from Jessica Jones.

I think I'm tired of Rob Thomas.

And Rose Mciver is no Kristen Bell.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Rhyno posted:

Oh man, Constance Zimmer! AoS just got a few points in my book.

But do you give a poo poo about the Inhumans yet? Inhumans are cool. Inhumans rock! Please, please, please, you WILL care about the Inhumans.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Still a total delight, and perfectly cast.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

It still makes me laugh that she does the "Stay tuned for iZombie" bumper over the Flash credits in her normal accent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

It still makes me laugh that she does the "Stay tuned for iZombie" bumper over the Flash credits in her normal accent.

So does Eloiza Teyla from the 100 and though I've never heard it, probably Adelaide Kane as well.

Lotta CW shows headed up by Aussie actors.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

zoux posted:

So does Eloiza Teyla from the 100 and though I've never heard it, probably Adelaide Kane as well.

Lotta CW shows headed up by Aussie actors.

Rose McIver is from New Zealand

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Same thing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I like all of Marvel's TV efforts to date, but I kinda wish they had a show as unabashedly comic-booky as Flash or Supergirl.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Aphrodite posted:

Same thing.

Like Americans and Canadians?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nothing But Hate posted:

No, Canadians sound like Coach Z.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shameless posted:

But do you give a poo poo about the Inhumans yet? Inhumans are cool. Inhumans rock! Please, please, please, you WILL care about the Inhumans.

They're totally my favorite!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aphrodite posted:

Same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

howe_sam posted:

In an ideal world, she'd eat an Aussie brain and go cartoonishly overboard with the accent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nothing But Hate posted:

Speaking as an American, I always thought New Zealand was basically Australia's Canada.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey everyone, let's discuss what the worst episode of Smallville is.

I nominate the one where a guy helps kill his mother who's dying from horrible cancer after she begs him to, and then he gets magic kryptonite hands that turn people into ashes and becomes obsessed with "ending the pain" of every elderly person he sees. Then at the end of the episode it turns out his mother is fine and not that much in pain he was just a crazy rear end in a top hat and assisted suicide is wrong 100% of the time with no grey area!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

Hey everyone, let's discuss what the worst episode of Smallville is.

I nominate the one where a guy helps kill his mother who's dying from horrible cancer after she begs him to, and then he gets magic kryptonite hands that turn people into ashes and becomes obsessed with "ending the pain" of every elderly person he sees. Then at the end of the episode it turns out his mother is fine and not that much in pain he was just a crazy rear end in a top hat and assisted suicide is wrong 100% of the time with no grey area!

I think it's the one where the guy who played Colonel Tigh from Battlestar Galactica is Slade Wilson and says "I'm beyond death's stroke now!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Impossible to narrow it down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the one with Chloe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

It's the one with Chloe.

Actually I changed my mind. It's the gum episode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rhyno posted:

Actually I changed my mind. It's the gum episode.

Gum was bad. There was one about immigrants getting sucked under ground too right?

How is it that they can botch Red Tornado so bad and then do a really damned decent Martian Manhunter on Supergirl?

AoS was quite alright tonight. Is the sentient death juice alien an original character?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

AoS was quite alright tonight. Is the sentient death juice alien an original character?

I believe like a lot of Agents of SHIELD so far it's taken from Secret Warriors.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Man, whatever budget constraints SHIELD is under were painfully apparent tonight. Barely saw any of the Secret Warriors in action and the one big fight scene was completely off-screen.

I still like the show, but I'm waiting for it to prove that it didn't peak creatively a year ago, and when Flash and Supergirl can deliver multiple FX-heavy action sequences every week, it just feels cheap in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Barry Convex posted:

Man, whatever budget constraints SHIELD is under were painfully apparent tonight. Barely saw any of the Secret Warriors in action and the one big fight scene was completely off-screen.

I still like the show, but I'm waiting for it to prove that it didn't peak creatively a year ago, and when Flash and Supergirl can deliver multiple FX-heavy action sequences every week, it just feels cheap in comparison.

Which fight scene? Lash killing a bunch of dudes?