Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Steve2911 posted:

So Peggy is pretty much one of the best TV characters at this point. Kirsten Dunst is god drat incredible.

Has anyone noticed any blatant references to the film in the second half of the series? I've not really seen any at all that I can remember.

Peggy staring, transfixed at the TV when she should have been keeping an eye on the hostage. Her partner leaving the place to try and negotiate a deal. Really the entire cabin thing in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

sout posted:

I hope there's a meaningful reason for their inclusion (not an explanation, necessarily because who cares) but if there isn't, which there probably won't be, I'm still very confident and excited for the finale.

The whole episode is very cheeky to be honest. For the first time, there is a framing narrator. In film I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. In literature when I become aware of frame narrative, I immediately begin to doubt the validity of everything I'm reading - a habit that comes from having read Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which is like a game of Chinese whispers.

So when the frame narrator starts talking about the consensus of Midwest crime historians over what Hanzee did or didn't say then really its time to take a tumble down the rabbit hole. It implies there are multiple conflicting interpretations of what happens and the one you are watching is a dramatisation of one historical interpretation of a (fake) true story. You pretty much have license to spin whatever kind of yarn you feel like.

Thats cheeky and arrogant as hell but they kinda maybe, might get away with it. Most other shows couldn't get away with going out in a blaze of dadaist glory.

They have already sold me on a soundtrack cd (please make it real).

Edit: actually screw the cd. Do it on vinyl.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 8, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I like to think the Big Book of Midwest Crime beginning in like 1820 and the Rapid City mention does mean we'll keep going back in time :hist101:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The central idea to anything "Fargo" is the ultimate pointlessness and futility of violence. The episode makes very clear that the massacre at the Motor Motel didn't need to happen. Those aliens are probably giving us an F in their "worthy of future examination" test.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

WanderingKid posted:

The whole episode is very cheeky to be honest. For the first time, there is a framing narrator. In film I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. In literature when I become aware of frame narrative, I immediately begin to doubt the validity of everything I'm reading - a habit that comes from having read Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which is like a game of Chinese whispers.

So when the frame narrator starts talking about the consensus of Midwest crime historians over what Hanzee did or didn't say then really its time to take a tumble down the rabbit hole. It implies there are multiple conflicting interpretations of what happens and the one you are watching is a dramatisation of one historical interpretation of a (fake) true story. You pretty much have license to spin whatever kind of yarn you feel like.
Yeah, this is how I felt about it. It's not "this is definitely what happened", it's another wrinkle in Hawley's lie about this being a true story. Using Freeman as the narrator was great because we recognize his voice, which makes us want to trust in his version of events and pushes people into being more accepting of the UFO bit. Even though he spends the whole first season lying his rear end off.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

All I hope for next week is that there isn't some bullshit where Simone comes back and avenges the Gerhardts. It'd be undeserved and straight-up cheap.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo that was awesome.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
My favorite part part of this thread is the once an episode posts by goons getting completely outraged at innocuous stuff. Split screens are for hacks! :argh: That newspaper was soo convenient! :argh: The shootout scene was completely RUINED when a UFO showed up! :argh:

I never thought the split screen guy could be toppped but

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I am impressed really. The show took one of the most captivating scenes of television ever and completely ruined it in the most stupid way imaginable. . . . television fans will be questioning that bullshit for years.

is such classic :goonsay:

This season owned. UFOs own and so does split screen and so do plot contrivances.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Anyone know what tune Mike was whistling after hanging up with his boss? Sounded like something from a blaxploitation film or just some kind of 70s funk but I'm clueless when it comes to that genre.

The UFO poo poo is great. Doesn't need an explanation. If Rye didn't see a UFO in Ep1, none of this would have happened.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Mod said it's okay to post so here's that Run Through The Jungle cover

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

So It Goes posted:

My favorite part part of this thread is the once an episode posts by goons getting completely outraged at innocuous stuff. Split screens are for hacks! :argh: That newspaper was soo convenient! :argh: The shootout scene was completely RUINED when a UFO showed up! :argh:

I never thought the split screen guy could be toppped but

is such classic :goonsay:

This season owned. UFOs own and so does split screen and so do plot contrivances.

Right on, that guy is an asshat. The UFO is arguably the best part of the season so far...I just...I don't know, I guffawed. That's never happened to me before. Brilliant.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair, that newspaper was really stupidly convenient

And a lot of the plot niggles are just that, plot niggles, it's just the totality and frequency of them that form a picture which gives the whole show a railroaded feel

Although anyone who complains about the ufos are just dumb since that was possibly the best payoff ever

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The real question is how did Malvo get out of that basement? The beginning of the episode claimed it was based on a true story and only names have been changed, everything else is told the same. So how did real life Malvo get out of that basement?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Again, it's not any individual plot issue with season 2. Obviously any work of fiction has problems and leaps of logic if you dissect them, it's the frequency of them and how utterly unnecessary they were to the coherency of the season's plot that makes it into a full-fledged Issue in this season.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

KoRMaK posted:

Why the screenshot of this? I dont get whats so important about it.

Yeah it loses something as a screenshot, you need the whole sequence:

Goddamn that was awesome.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

how utterly unnecessary they were to the coherency of the season's plot that makes it into a full-fledged Issue in this season.

The events of Fargo are based on a true story. The names have been changed but out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I was in total disbelief when the UFO showed up. I still can't believe they did that.

It's weird because they teased UFO stuff all season but the show was otherwise so grounded that a payoff like that was totally unexpected.

I'm not even sure if I liked it. I feel lost and confused.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Noah Hawley's explanation for the aliens: "The Coen brothers did it in Man Who Wasn't There, so stop whining."

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Creator did an interview and the UFO came up: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/07/fargo-ufo

Noah Hawley posted:

There’s a couple things that felt right about it. One is that it plays very well into the conspiracy-minded 1979 era where it’s post-Watergate, you had Close Encounters and Star Wars. There was a Minnesota UFO encounter [in 1979] involving a state trooper. It was certainly in the air at the time. Alternately in the Coens’ The Man Who Wasn’t There they had a [running UFO thread]; certainly it was more ’50s inspired, but it was part of the cinematic language of their movie. So it felt like it worked for the time period and worked for the filmmakers, and is a way of saying “accept the mystery” — which is a staple of the Coen Bros. philosophy in their films. And I thought it was funny.

"and I thought it was funny" is my reaction to 95% of things complained about this season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This season is getting some unbelievable performances. Kirsten Dunst is one of the most refreshing female roles in a while, Patrick Wilson plays the perfect good guy, Cristin Milioti is awesome as Betsy, Bokeem Woodbine's Mike Milligan is so unsettling.

But seriously though why the UFO what the hell?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So It Goes posted:

The events of Fargo are based on a true story. The names have been changed but out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.

i dunno if you're doing a bit or you're actually dense enough to believe that anything that happens in fargo is factual

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I agree with Doltos but follow the commentary on the fantastic acting performances with a holy poo poo I love the ufo showing up. Knowing the story makes me truly appreciate it

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

i dunno if you're doing a bit or you're actually dense enough to believe that anything that happens in fargo is factual

There is absolutely no one in the world that could watch Fargo and actually think it accurately depicts real events. Both seasons are full of comically absurd things literally every single episode (19 of them now), even excepting UFOs and raining sky fish, and people need to revel in it more IMO. Maybe then you will become actualized.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else find it odd that when Hank recounted his story about his commanding officer telling Ike to gently caress off, he referred to WW2 as the Great War? No one calls it the Great War.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I figured Fargo was basically a legend, with details added or changed over time. A big storm turns into fish raining from the sky because it's striking and thematic, Malvo disappears from the basement because he's supernaturally talented evil, a UFO shows up because Lou Solverson said he saw something strange and terrifying once and people speculated about what it was. No need for explanation or logic, this is just how things happened because it's better that way.

It's a true story the same way every urban legend happened to somebody's cousin's teacher's niece.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Anyone else find it odd that when Hank recounted his story about his commanding officer telling Ike to gently caress off, he referred to WW2 as the Great War? No one calls it the Great War.

He's an aleeum

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Remember last season when there were people on the internet that were outraged at the idea that a character that loves to tempt and corrupt people, makes references to apples and the garden of Eden, evokes the biblical plagues, and is at one point literally called the Devil by a holy man could in any way be a metaphor for the Devil?

I like to imagine that the writers saw that, rolled up their sleeves, and then said "OK, gently caress those guys" and then they made UFOs unambiguously real.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The only thing that would have improved that episode in my opinion would have been to cut the scene with Milligan on the phone to Kansas City and have his only scene in the entire episode being to show up to the aftermath of the massacre, say "OK" and then leave. Not that less Mike Milligan is a good thing per se, but y'know.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

And a lot of the plot niggles are just that, plot niggles, it's just the totality and frequency of them that form a picture which gives the whole show a railroaded feel
Maybe it's because I also watch the Walking Dead & Doctor Who and compared to those these plot niggles are absolutely nothing, -but, I think it's a testament to everything else in the show that I can hardly care about said niggles. There's very little down time between good music, great acting, and well built-up-to scenes to really dwell on the errors ya brought up.

If we want to get meta about it, it does also play into the unreliable narrator aspect of the show & Peggy's speech about how sometimes you just do things illogically because we all live in the moment. More likely it's because they know how to write fun stuff, and not everything can be Breaking Bad.

Actually, I wonder if Ted got abducted by aliens when he got hit in the head outside of the Blomquists house. They appeared here after he got shot, right? Maybe they did when he got hit in the head too.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Narrator shows up to explain motives and aliens show up to save the trooper.

Weak.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Baron Corbyn posted:

The only thing that would have improved that episode in my opinion would have been to cut the scene with Milligan on the phone to Kansas City and have his only scene in the entire episode being to show up to the aftermath of the massacre, say "OK" and then leave. Not that less Mike Milligan is a good thing per se, but y'know.

I'm pretty sure that scene was a set-up to a pay-off in the finale where Mike takes full credit for setting up the Gerhardt ambush and massacre, since he told his bosses where he was going to be and when. That call places him at the scene, nevermind the fact that he got there after the fact and just drove off. Killing off the whole remainder of the rival gang who were standing in the way of a takeover would be a good way to get back in KC's good graces and/or have his sins forgiven.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

It's weird because they teased UFO stuff all season but the show was otherwise so grounded that a payoff like that was totally unexpected.

It's been mentioned a couple of times below, but did you miss the Sky Fish from Season 1? The how has always has a touch of the Fantastic.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
This show is loving fantastic. The UFO, the split screens, loving everything. Next week gonna be some crazy-rear end poo poo, and I am loving ready.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That's the most entertaining UFO I've ever seen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Much as I've loved this season now people are dying left and right I can't help wish we'd had another episode or two so it didn't feel like Floyd and Bear, to use two examples, got the short end of the stick character development-wise.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Why the aliens dripping? Fake dumb poo poo. Makes no sense.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I hope Cristin Milioti gets more T.V. parts in the future that don't involve her slowly dying from illness. In terms of regular roles she's had that happen a solid 66% of the time so far.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

EatinCake posted:

Maybe it's because I also watch the Walking Dead & Doctor Who and compared to those these plot niggles are absolutely nothing, -but, I think it's a testament to everything else in the show that I can hardly care about said niggles. There's very little down time between good music, great acting, and well built-up-to scenes to really dwell on the errors ya brought up.

The plotholes in Fargo are mostly convenient setups and events that are not fully explained but we understand who the characters are and what their motivations are. In TWD I have no idea why anyone is doing what they're doing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The UFO showing up was incredible, topped only by Peggy's line to Ed dismissing it as irrelevant :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qbert posted:

Fuuuuuuuckkkkkk this show is so good.

That's what I say to myself after literally every episode. This will go down as one of the best seasons of television ever.
LOL at this guy who doesn't watch The Leftovers.

• Locked thread