Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yo, chitoryu12, if you're still interested in what military forces from history ate, Carla Rahn Phillips has a detailed table of what early 17th century Spanish sailors' nutrition would have been like based on their rations, and it's pretty good, except for a lack of retinol, b2, and vitamin C.

(You can easily replicate this yourself, if you're still into that, with chickpeas, whole grain hardtack, and bacalhau.)

Fish days are because Catholic, cheese days are because when there's a battle or a storm, no open fires are allowed.

Despite the lack of vitamin C, Spanish observers almost never report scurvy. It's not a problem in the Atlantic fleets. According to a contemporary Spanish physician, "Spanish sailors, of all Europeans, have the least propensity to scurvy, which is only seen on voyages to our possessions in the Pacific." It's not a problem in Spain either: some Spanish called scurvy "the Dutch disease" because either only Dutch people got it or because Spaniards only got it once they had spent a long time in Flanders. Phillips thinks those guys would have been eating well enough when they were in Spain, with plenty of citrus fruits, onions, bell peppers, and garlic for every social level, that they could sort of "coast" on reserves from Spain to the New World.

There's only one problem here, which is that the treasure fleet and war fleets travel in convoy and they load up with this in mind because it simplifies storage and logistics--so one boat will have all the cheese and one will have a thousand pounds of cider. If you get separated in a storm, better hope you're not the boat with all the vinegar on it and no meat!

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

yo, chitoryu12, if you're still interested in what military forces from history ate, Carla Rahn Phillips has a detailed table of what early 17th century Spanish sailors' nutrition would have been like based on their rations, and it's pretty good, except for a lack of retinol, b2, and vitamin C.

(You can easily replicate this yourself, if you're still into that, with chickpeas, whole grain hardtack, and bacalao.)

Fish days are because Catholic, cheese days are because when there's a battle or a storm, no open fires are allowed.

Despite the lack of vitamin C, Spanish observers almost never report scurvy. It's not a problem in the Atlantic fleets. According to a contemporary Spanish physician, "Spanish sailors, of all Europeans, have the least propensity to scurvy, which is only seen on voyages to our possessions in the Pacific." It's not a problem in Spain either: some Spanish called scurvy "the Dutch disease" because either only Dutch people got it or because Spaniards only got it once they had spent a long time in Flanders. Phillips thinks those guys would have been eating well enough when they were in Spain, with plenty of citrus fruits, onions, bell peppers, and garlic for every social level, that they could sort of "coast" on reserves from Spain to the New World.

There's one problem here, which is that the treasure fleet and war fleets travel in convoy and they load up with this in mind because it simplifies storage and logistics--so one boat will have all the cheese and one will have a thousand pounds of cider. If you get separated in a storm, better hope you're not the boat with all the vinegar on it and no meat!

Thanks! If you don't mind, I'll copy this quote over to my military food thread so the people there can see it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

Thanks! If you don't mind, I'll copy this quote over to my military food thread so the people there can see it.
no prob. i'll head over there myself too, i think

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For anyone else interested in the thread (where I post photo reviews of military rations and further information on military feeding), head over here!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trin Tragula posted:

So, if you put a Storch on a runway that was also a giant conveyor belt...
It'd take off without turning the engine on at all! GENIUS!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

For anyone else interested in the thread (where I post photo reviews of military rations and further information on military feeding), head over here!

and if you still want to replicate that, don't forget your daily wine

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

and if you still want to replicate that, don't forget your daily wine

What's the ratio of water to wine I should expect to pour?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

What's the ratio of water to wine I should expect to pour?
four or five to one. Consider a Mexican vintage, the most important wine producer of the 16th century for this empire.

Since small amounts of foods like garlic were kept around but not rationed, you can probably put it in your chickpea-and-rice stew.

I looked up photos of salt cod and it's...um...shingle-like.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

(You can easily replicate this yourself, if you're still into that, with chickpeas, whole grain hardtack, and bacalhau.)

There's one problem here, which is that the treasure fleet and war fleets travel in convoy and they load up with this in mind because it simplifies storage and logistics--so one boat will have all the cheese and one will have a thousand pounds of cider. If you get separated in a storm, better hope you're not the boat with all the vinegar on it and no meat!

Ooh ooh, I have numbers too! From roughly the same era even!

According to Admiral Sir Cyprian Bridge's Sea-Power and Other Studies, the Elizabethan sailors circa the Armada got the following rations weekly:
8 pounds beef, 7 pounds biscuit, 9 pounds salted fish, 3/4 pounds cheese, 3/4 pounds butter, 7 gallons beer. No vegetables or fruit.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 9, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

four or five to one. Consider a Mexican vintage, the most important wine producer of the 16th century for this empire.

Since small amounts of foods like garlic were kept around but not rationed, you can probably put it in your chickpea-and-rice stew.

I looked up photos of salt cod and it's...um...shingle-like.

I think I'll get my girlfriend to help me make it. She's already set to help me make some 50s and 60s US Navy recipe cards and an authentic D-ration using the actual Hershey recipe from the war, so she'll probably be dying for a chickpea and rice stew.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Ooh ooh, I have numbers too! From roughly the same era even!

According to Admiral Sir Cyprian Bridge, the Elizabethan sailors circa the Armada got the follow rations weekly:
8 pounds beef, 7 pounds biscuit, 9 pounds salted fish, 3/4 pounds cheese, 3/4 pounds butter, 7 gallons beer.

These kinds of rations were basically unchanged until World War I. This is the Civil War ration for the Union:

Per Soldier

* 20 oz. of fresh beef, salt beef, or salt pork
* 12 oz. of hardtack in camp or garrison or 16 oz. of hardtack at sea, on campaign, or on the march
* 1 oz. compressed cube of desiccated mixed vegetables or a 1.5 oz. compressed cube of desiccated potatoes if supplemental foods were unavailable

Per 100 rations

* 8 qts of beans or peas
* 10 lbs of rice or hominy
* 10 lbs of green coffee beans or 8 lbs of roasted coffee beans
* 10 lbs of sugar
* 2 qts of salt
* 1 gallon of vinegar

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm the superior spanish nutrition

also, chitoryu12, look for the most hippyish whole grain poo poo you can find. french army bread (dunno about spanish bread, or spanish biscuit) was ground with the husks on to boost weight without making it cost more

tell your girlfriend that new world hispanics still eat the poo poo out of salt cod. i used to live in a dominican neighborhood and it is saltier than you think it is, do not gently caress around with the preparation directions or you will be negatively surprised

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 9, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

These kinds of rations were basically unchanged until World War I. This is the Civil War ration for the Union:

Per Soldier

* 20 oz. of fresh beef, salt beef, or salt pork
* 12 oz. of hardtack in camp or garrison or 16 oz. of hardtack at sea, on campaign, or on the march
* 1 oz. compressed cube of desiccated mixed vegetables or a 1.5 oz. compressed cube of desiccated potatoes if supplemental foods were unavailable

Per 100 rations

* 8 qts of beans or peas
* 10 lbs of rice or hominy
* 10 lbs of green coffee beans or 8 lbs of roasted coffee beans
* 10 lbs of sugar
* 2 qts of salt
* 1 gallon of vinegar

Don't forget plenty of blue mass to help digestion (and everything else)!

HEY GAL posted:

I'm the superior British naval tradition.

Actually I'm the poor spudfucker getting his head bashed in by Cromwell because Jesus told him to.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

enjoy your sup-par empire and lack of general relevance, anglo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

enjoy your sup-par empire and lack of general relevance, anglo

I study the early twentieth century so nuts to Spain. They couldn't even beat those jumped-up mongrel Colonials.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If I remember correctly, the Japanese actually had a helicopter fitted with depth charge(s) that they used in the anti-submarine role. They were used on the Akitsu Maru (Converted Carrier)

Only to Army Carriers, though

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

e:double post

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Helicopters would've been a hell of a lot better than blimps...

US Navy blimps were incredibly effective in the ASW role

So, way, way more effective than the IJA autogyros :colbert:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

e:double post

US Navy blimps were incredibly effective in the ASW role

So, way, way more effective than the IJA autogyros :colbert:

It's a very low bar when it comes to Japanese experimental aircraft/autogyros.

Now, a few Kolibris in 1914 would definitely have turned the tide in favor of Gay Black Wilhelm.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
A pivotal article regarding Air Cavalry was written by General James Gavin entitled "Cavalry, and I don't mean horses" is worth a read if you'd like to see some of the thought process that led to the helicopter tactics in Vietnam.

https://sobchak.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/article-cavalry-and-i-dont-mean-horses-by-major-general-james-m-gavin/

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Oh it's written by Gavin, not about...y'know...

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

tell your girlfriend that new world hispanics still eat the poo poo out of salt cod. i used to live in a dominican neighborhood and it is saltier than you think it is, do not gently caress around with the preparation directions or you will be negatively surprised

I grew up eating bacalhao (my mother is Dominican.) it is delicious if you know how to cook it. It's usually served with rice, in different forms. I can call her for recipees if you guys want.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

also, chitoryu12, look for the most hippyish whole grain poo poo you can find. french army bread (dunno about spanish bread, or spanish biscuit) was ground with the husks on to boost weight without making it cost more

How do you eat tomatoes with butter in those few areas where they overlap?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Fry them in it rather than in olive oil?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Spacewolf posted:

Oh it's written by Gavin, not about...y'know...

Any chance someone could explain the Gavin running gag?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Any chance someone could explain the Gavin running gag?
Basically this and some other internet bullshit that we mock.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Ah this gives me an excuse to post one of my favorite industrial accidents: High Pressure Injection Injuries
http://www.orthopaedicsone.com/display/Cases/Four+Cases+of+High-Pressure+Injection+Injury+of+the+Hand

Machines will gently caress you up

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

How do you eat tomatoes with butter in those few areas where they overlap?

Far more questionable is the Beer/Wine/Vodka map. Large parts of East Germany are supposed to be Vodka country, which is news to most inhabitants. Not quite as sure about Denmark.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Arquinsiel posted:

The dude's site, combatreform.org, is like the less coherent military cousin of timecube.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

ArchangeI posted:

Far more questionable is the Beer/Wine/Vodka map. Large parts of East Germany are supposed to be Vodka country, which is news to most inhabitants. Not quite as sure about Denmark.

If you want to get picky about it there needs to be a whole "cider europe" section for brittany, Normandy, the West Country, Asturias and Navarre. Also, Spain is in potato europe as well as tomato europe.

trend maps suck

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

I think a bit more explanation is in order.

1st Lieutenant Mike Sparks is an incredibly crazy former US Army guy who has a series of incredibly bizarre beliefs about how the military should be run. A lot of them are completely divorced from reality, but he doesn't give two shits about anyone's opinion. He's even convinced himself that important people in the military agree with his ideas and think that he's brilliant, and it's only because the military is rear end-backwards and politically against him that they refuse to improve.

For some reason, he's convinced that the M113 APC should be nicknamed the Gavin after General James M. Gavin, likely because he established the APC requirements that led to the creation of the M113. He has an obsession with M113s in general, thinking that they're an incredible multi-use platform that can be used for any and all purposes no matter how far out of reach.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chitoryu12 posted:

I think a bit more explanation is in order.

1st Lieutenant Mike Sparks is an incredibly crazy former US Army guy who has a series of incredibly bizarre beliefs about how the military should be run. A lot of them are completely divorced from reality, but he doesn't give two shits about anyone's opinion. He's even convinced himself that important people in the military agree with his ideas and think that he's brilliant, and it's only because the military is rear end-backwards and politically against him that they refuse to improve.

For some reason, he's convinced that the M113 APC should be nicknamed the Gavin after General James M. Gavin, likely because he established the APC requirements that led to the creation of the M113. He has an obsession with M113s in general, thinking that they're an incredible multi-use platform that can be used for any and all purposes no matter how far out of reach.
You have robbed them of the joy of discovering all this for themselves :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arquinsiel posted:

You have robbed them of the joy of discovering all this for themselves :colbert:

Oh please, that only scratches the surface of Sparky's nuttiness. It's like an aperitif before the full-course madness that unfolds on his website.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Oh please, that only scratches the surface of Sparky's nuttiness. It's like an aperitif before the full-course madness that unfolds on his website.

Like his preferred method of getting the M113 to the battlefield.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

xthetenth posted:

The dude's site, combatreform.org, is like the less coherent military cousin of timecube.

That guy was serious? poo poo, I thought those videos were a parody of some other thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

knoon113 posted:

NEWS FLASH!

Senator Stevens wants pork, RAND says Army is buying a lemon, Army Soldiers need the diamond-in-the-rough: the M113A3 Gavin

Read all about it here!

DoD QUIETLY ARRANGES TO WORK-AROUND LAV3STRYKER ABSURDITY WITH MRAPS

A little known fact is that in WWII, the U.S. Army horse cavalry existed all the way to 1944 even though it was of no use in the fighting in the Pacific and most of Europe's battlefields!

Why?

Because the Army Chief of Cavalry, General Herr refused to do the right thing and mechanize the cavalry but had powerful Congressional friends who prevented him from being fired. The same kind of situation exists today with the current Army Chief of Staff, General Shinseki refusing to field a mechanized M113A3 Gavin-based brigade combat team with parachute forced-entry and cross-country fire & maneuver capabilities instead stubbornly insisting road-bound rubber-tired lav3stryker armored cars that CAN'T FIGHT and CAN'T FLY by C-130 be used. This is despite the fact that the M113A3 Gavins out-performed the lav3strykers at the recent Fort Lewis Congressionally-mandated comparison evaluation tests. The absurdity of such a heavy lav3stryker armored car which makes the C-130 sacrifice so much fuel that you can drive it farther than you can fly it--has not been lost on Rumsfled's DoD. But like General Herr in 1940, they cannot fire or correct the wheeled armored-car-with-a-computer Tofflerian madness due to political corruption so they are now seeking to "work around" the flimsy lav3stryker brigades by surrounding them with mechanized (tracked) M113A3/M2/M1 forces and forward deploying them so the heavy wheeled armored cars will not have to be flown by any USAF aircraft. You could surround a brigade's worth of 300 x ice cream trucks with tracked AFVs and call the force "full operational capability"; the tracks will be used to do the heavy fighting and off-road dirty tasks while the wheels frolic along paved roads and trails as far back in the rear as possible. Maybe when General Shinseki retires in June '03 the current Tofflerian self-destructive course of the U.S. Army can be turned around?

:psyboom:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Don't forget plenty of blue mass to help digestion (and everything else)!

Actually I'm the poor spudfucker getting his head bashed in by Cromwell because Jesus told him to.

I'm the Mater-Tater line.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

chitoryu12 posted:

Basically he believes that the incredible capabilities of the trusty ol' M113 are being ignored just because it has no namesake like Bradley or Stryker. So he decided to start calling it Gavin in the hopes that it would catch on. Which of course is a wonderful thing if you want to be an rear end in a top hat in a milhist forum - just drop a casual Gavin reference out of nowhere and watch everyone self-destruct.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's a meeting next week in Arras to discuss something that Louis Barthas will propose tomorrow, possibly with a touch of sarcasm. People have been trying to make it happen for the last 35 years. (He does have a peace garden and monument in Peyriac.)

https://twitter.com/GrandArras/status/674534974700130304

quote:

The next day, December 10, at many places along the front line, the soldiers had to come out of their trenches so as not to drown. The Germans had to do the same. We therefore had the singular spectacle of two enemy armies facing each other without firing a shot
Who knows—maybe one day in this corner of Artois they will raise a monument to commemorate this spirit of fraternity among men who shared a horror of war and who were forced to kill each other against their wills.

edit: after further review it seems they started construction in the summer thanks to pushing the Christmas truce angle (although it is at Neuville-Saint-Vaast, where Barthas said it should be) and should be just about finished by now.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 9, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

If you want to get picky about it there needs to be a whole "cider europe" section for brittany, Normandy, the West Country, Asturias and Navarre. Also, Spain is in potato europe as well as tomato europe.

trend maps suck
yeah, i'm also the vodka drinking czechs

edit: you want alcohol maps? here are alcohol maps:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 9, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

. He has an obsession with M113s in general, thinking that they're an incredible multi-use platform that can be used for any and all purposes no matter how far out of reach.

Has he suggested converting them to tank destroyers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Animal posted:

I grew up eating bacalhao (my mother is Dominican.) it is delicious if you know how to cook it. It's usually served with rice, in different forms. I can call her for recipees if you guys want.
:yum:

• Locked thread