Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dr Christmas posted:

Then again, Yoda had to put some effort into it, while in Force Unleashed the player character uses them as projectiles. Then he pulls a Star Destroyer out of he sky.

Force Unleashed pseudo explains that as Starkiller being phenomenally naturally talented with the Force, though.
They get around this little continuity problem by killing him in the good/canon ending :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like going ridiculously nutso with the force in a video game is a problem, it's just that they probably should've ended the game with palpatine waking up and going "What a weird dream, that's the last time I eat tacos before bedtime."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

None of the crazy Force poo poo is even canon any more. We haven't seen anything, in the comics at least, much farther beyond the films.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like going ridiculously nutso with the force in a video game is a problem, it's just that they probably should've ended the game with palpatine waking up and going "What a weird dream, that's the last time I eat tacos before bedtime."

Pulling a Super Mario 2 with that really would have been the best move. Even ignoring :sperg: canon debates, it would have been a nice bow to remind fans not to take the poo poo so seriously; it'd be a winking MST3K "it's just a show, I should really just relax."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

You're implying Star Wars fans are capable of not taking things seriously when it comes to their precious cheese-monks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cheese monks?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm really dreading this explanation.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The comic about Star Wars being a roleplaying game has one of the characters saying that 'Jedi' sounds like a word for a fancy cheese.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pureauthor posted:

The comic about Star Wars being a roleplaying game has one of the characters saying that 'Jedi' sounds like a word for a fancy cheese.

Darths and Droids is better than anything official produced since Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

mind the walrus posted:

Pulling a Super Mario 2 with that really would have been the best move. Even ignoring :sperg: canon debates, it would have been a nice bow to remind fans not to take the poo poo so seriously; it'd be a winking MST3K "it's just a show, I should really just relax."

Lucas went the opposite direction and said The Force Unleashed was movie level canon. I'm pretty sure he'd stopped giving a poo poo by that point though.

Toadstrieb posted:

Goddamnit I forgot that one. Well, if I was gonna go with another objection to the "force superheroes" approach, I'd say that any unkillable character, or one that trivializes all normal human concerns for safety and wellbeing ruin stories unless the story is about how they're different in a way that isn't just pure difference or exceptional power. This is also why I think superheroes suck, so, it's not really starwars related.

You, uh...you might be on the wrong forum here.

Anyway, speaking as a hardcore Star Wars fanboy from birth, the new comics are awesome. I've never found myself thinking "[Character] would never say/do that!" I'd say the writers have the characters' voices and attitudes down, but it's not uncommon for a character to feel a little "off" when they're translated to such a dramatically different medium. It's just part of the trade-off. Luke may not look and "sound" exactly like Mark Hamill, but the visual experience will never be constrained by an effects budget, so I'd call it a win.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I will never understand that attitude. The visual experience being constrained by budget/technology is the main thing that made the original Star Wars movies so remarkable. Without the miniatures, the puppeteering, the kitbashed starships, and so on, Star Wars is really nothing special. You're basically asking for the special editions or the prequel trilogy if you think having an unlimited budget and unrestrained visual effects makes Star Wars better in any way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Travis343 posted:

I will never understand that attitude. The visual experience being constrained by budget/technology is the main thing that made the original Star Wars movies so remarkable. Without the miniatures, the puppeteering, the kitbashed starships, and so on, Star Wars is really nothing special.

You would get a rip off of a Japanese film

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Not better, necessarily, but working with a different toolkit gives the creators an opportunity to try different things. This could go terribly, terribly wrong, of course. Prequels, etc. But I'm liking how the new comics are handling the balancing act so far. They've avoided going crazy with the wacky Force powers and focused on vibrant setting and character designs, while taking the opportunity to show us applications of the Force that aren't limited to handwaving and wirework. The scene in which Vader first hears the name "Skywalker" wouldn't have worked the same on film, for example. Personally, I think the comics are a perfect way to tell the stories between the movies, as long as they keep managing the talent as well as they have so far.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am not a hardcore fan or anything my main problem is the new comics seem to be repeating the exact issues of the EU and to a lesser extent the prequels.

While also giving us nothing interesting to do anything with. The only real appeal these comics seem to have are "I remember this" which does not appeal to me at all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Cheese monks?

Lurdiak posted:

I'm really dreading this explanation.

Cheese monks! They've already gotten through the prequels and are doing the original trilogy now. The 'jedi cheese' thing is on the third comic.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 9, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I stopped reading that thing when it got away from being dumb dnd jokes about things happening in star wars and became its own complicated fanfic story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I keep reading it because it takes 2 minutes out of my massively busy day but yeah, it's kinda gotten away from what it was supposed to be.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy gently caress you nerds post badass panels. The last panel posted (Vader) was TWO PAGES AGO. gently caress you. Here's an extra long sequence to get us back on track.

From Godzilla in Hell #5: After fighting through the various layers of hell, Godzilla finally reaches the end of the line.

THE END?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 9, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Genuinely want to see that done with practical Japanese effects.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Put that in Godzilla 2 I'll buy a dozen tickets.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
"I am Godzilla, we are many"?

Cool. Ridiculous and scary, but cool.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
That whole sequence was genuinely incredibly impressive. Had 0 idea what was going to happen or what had been happening and didn't need to know to enjoy some rad visual storytelling.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Toadstrieb posted:

That whole sequence was genuinely incredibly impressive. Had 0 idea what was going to happen or what had been happening and didn't need to know to enjoy some rad visual storytelling.

The series is only 5 issues, each one with a different artist. There's very little dialogue throughout the whole thing. All you needed to know is "Godzilla is in Hell". It's a very fun visual ride. The art in a couple of the issues wasn't great but between this one, #1 (by Stokoe) and #2 (by Eggleton) the series was outstanding start to finish.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like that they answered the 'who would win in a race?' nerd debate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Secret Wars #8
poo poo continues to go down and the whole issue is a massive fight bringing together everything

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 10, 2015

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

SynthOrange posted:

Secret Wars #8
poo poo continues to go down and the whole issue is a massive fight bringing together everything

Man, I LOVE how they've been illustrating Thanos in this. Instead of just being a grape with a face he's got genuine expression. He's conveying emotions, which range from :wth: when the Thors were attacking to this grand smugness. It's wonderful.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Man I gotta catch up on Secret Wars

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ManiacClown posted:

Man, I LOVE how they've been illustrating Thanos in this. Instead of just being a grape with a face he's got genuine expression. He's conveying emotions, which range from :wth: when the Thors were attacking to this grand smugness. It's wonderful.

I know the delays suck, but it's kinda worth it to have Ribic's art. I think this is a crossover that will age very well, once people forget about the delays. No one does a better Galactus than Ribic/Svorcina.

Also I know they're shoving Starlord in everywhere because of the movies but I don't really care. Guardians are cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ManiacClown posted:

Too bad Doom explodes him a panel later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Too bad Doom explodes him a panel later.

He'll be fine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

zoux posted:

I know the delays suck, but it's kinda worth it to have Ribic's art. I think this is a crossover that will age very well, once people forget about the delays. No one does a better Galactus than Ribic/Svorcina.

Also I know they're shoving Starlord in everywhere because of the movies but I don't really care. Guardians are cool.

It's exactly why he's in there, and it doesn't matter. It's great. The Groot toothpick has a little face and everything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman put Starlord in because he liked Chris Pratt.

quote:

I always knew Doom's throne was going to be the World Tree, but then, we started going back and forth with the editors and the other creators about who some of the extra people in the raft we're going to be at the "Secret Wars" retreat. The "Guardians" movie had just come out, and we had all seen it, and I knew I wanted to write Star-Lord because Chris Pratt was so good as Peter Quill.

I started thinking about who else I might be interested in from the Guardians, and then I remembered Doom and the World Tree, and just thought it would be cool if at a big moment, the World Tree was brought to life for Groot to become one of the big combatants in the final battle. [Laughs] I just thought it would be fun.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/hickman-sets-the-stage-for-secret-wars-finale

I like how Ribic is drawing Thanos, but Ron Lim is still my definitive Thanos artist.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Hickman put Starlord in because he liked Chris Pratt.

I'm sure editorial didn't want Starlord pushed at all either.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'm always a little sad that Star-Lord is less a sometimes cold and manipulative prick that can be a goof and more Chris Pratt now, but he's probably moved up to the B-List at least so I'm not too mad. I just wish they remembered the guy that founded the Guardians by having the entire team mind-controlled a little more often. There was a little of that before he Grooted the World Tree, so that's something.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

mind the walrus posted:

I'm sure editorial didn't want Starlord pushed at all either.

I honestly think Star-Lord would have a bigger role than "comic relief pilot who has a Deus Ex Tree in his back pocket" if his placement in the story was a big cross-branding editorial push.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cabbit posted:

I honestly think Star-Lord would have a bigger role than "comic relief pilot who has a Deus Ex Tree in his back pocket" if his placement in the story was a big cross-branding editorial push.

That implies that the main book of Secret Wars was anything other than a series of brief character check-ins while all the actual events happen in other books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

That implies that the main book of Secret Wars was anything other than a series of brief character check-ins while all the actual events happen in other books.

This implies that you haven't actually read poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've only read the main event book mostly to see how comprehensible it is, and it really is nothing more than character check-ins followed by the occasional 1-3 page set-piece. I feel like huge chunks of the story are missing. Unless you count Doom masturbating constantly to himself.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

mind the walrus posted:

What are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I feel like huge chunks of the story are missing.
Like what? It might be better to move the convo. to the SW thread, too.