Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Englishmen crushing a German advance in the Second Battle of Hastings sounds like some badass alt history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is a good read on Operation Sealion, too.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Re: Stellaris's orbital bombardment policy: Does the game distinguish between "I'm not using orbital bombardment because I'm concerned about civilians" and "I'm not using orbital bombardment because I want my new conquests to be mostly undamaged"?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Thank you Rincewind :allears: I couldn't remember what the actual event was called and hurp durp never thought to just try the thing's own drat name with "wargame" on it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Pimpmust posted:

I've long since stopped using paratroopers or doomstacks of like, CAS, against the AI in DH. Just isn't very sporting :colbert:

Oh gently caress that, always build up one paratrooper if you can manage the absurd IC cost for both plane and troop. gently caress that one last victory province behind a horde of dudes or, poo poo, literally impossible landings.

Now that said dropping a paratrop into Bremmen and then dumping the entire Commune-British army in central Germany is totally cheating.

Edit: Actually, I have a Kaiserreich question. Does anything interesting happen after the big war in Europe? The valiant efforts of the British meant the entire German army was out of supply and promptly crushed by the French horde, who then slooowly moved onto the various puppet states while Britain couldn't be assed to do it, busy doing various other marine landings on Germany Mediterranean assets/Italy. This leaves German Africa left, with various Syndie-rebellion African events firing. (And promptly getting crushed, go Nat. France I guess) I really don't want to pal around waiting to shove troops into whatever bits of Africa I can manage to reach, so that might be gg unless something cool happens after. Canada, Russia and Japan all seem to have completely broken, too, and they never felt like joining the war. Or do much of anything.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 8, 2015

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I apologise for blathering on about this Darkest Hour game but I do have one more question I wanted to ask. When I originally came to this realisation of maybe trying to fight Germany as the ultimate end boss, the year was 1947 where Germany was fully nuclear armed and some issues with Ireland (America kept occupying it as a springboard for naval amphib assaults on Great Britain) were dealt with. Should I start from that 1947 standpoint with nuclear and jet armed Germany or should I just stick to Jan 1st, 1945 where they're still developing nuclear technology and it is literally days after Russia was defeated? I think even in the 1947 game Japan was still an existing nation so I'd still have that to do and on top of that, I'd be getting an excuse to play with some of the later game tech you never really get to enjoy otherwise; however 1945 is a comfortable start date to it all and isn't too crazy, situation wise.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Not enough has been said about Stellaris' overall visual design. This looks like their sharpest, least busy design yet, and I love how the vaguely cell-shaded ships mesh with the hand drawn portraits.

Can't wait for when my commie technocratic space-cat faction comes for all of your most advanced laser-pointer tech.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

SkySteak posted:

I apologise for blathering on about this Darkest Hour game but I do have one more question I wanted to ask. When I originally came to this realisation of maybe trying to fight Germany as the ultimate end boss, the year was 1947 where Germany was fully nuclear armed and some issues with Ireland (America kept occupying it as a springboard for naval amphib assaults on Great Britain) were dealt with. Should I start from that 1947 standpoint with nuclear and jet armed Germany or should I just stick to Jan 1st, 1945 where they're still developing nuclear technology and it is literally days after Russia was defeated? I think even in the 1947 game Japan was still an existing nation so I'd still have that to do and on top of that, I'd be getting an excuse to play with some of the later game tech you never really get to enjoy otherwise; however 1945 is a comfortable start date to it all and isn't too crazy, situation wise.

Play the harder situation. You might lose but I doubt it and losing as a late-game major is a rare and precious experience in Darkest Hour.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 8, 2015

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

EightDeer posted:

Re: Stellaris's orbital bombardment policy: Does the game distinguish between "I'm not using orbital bombardment because I'm concerned about civilians" and "I'm not using orbital bombardment because I want my new conquests to be mostly undamaged"?

It sounds like militarism and xenophilia are different policies. So whether or not you perform bombardment is a function of your militarism, what you do with captured planets is a function of xenophobia. Unless they are captured rebels in which case idk.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think the edict allowing orbital bombardment also makes orbital bombardment mandatory. At least that's not the impression I got.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I assume it just limits your options. I also assume that your population can be divided on such issues depending on their POP-THOUGHTS so if you bomb a planet to death maybe the jingoistic xenophobes get happy but your peaceful xenophiles get mad.

Good question though if xenophobic-phile applies to empires of the same race as you. If you've got 3 other off shoots of your race that you graned independence does your xenophobic empire have different rules for war crimes for them vs dirty scary aliens?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
"If it's not forbidden it's manditory."

My new empire motto for Stellaris.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You're just kicking the tires, making sure your new conquest can withstand an orbital bombardment from your enemies. Its only prudent.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Alison Brooks' post is such a usenet alternate history classic.

quote:

Then there is the example of the question of life jackets. Thousands of life jackets had been provided. However, despite all the best efforts of the planners, there were only sufficient for the first wave. The intention was, according to the plan, that these life jackets would be brought back again by the boats for the second wave. The problem was that these life jackets were worn beneath the combat pack. Those involved would be expected, on landing on an open beach while under fire, to first take off their pack, then their life jacket, and then don combat pack, and only then start doing something about those inconsiderate British soldiers shooting at them. One wonders what the veterans of Omaha beach would say about the viability of this.

Not that it would have been of the slightest use. While the Wehrmacht had been given strict instructions to do this, no-one had been made responsible for collecting the life jackets and return them to the boats. The boats, however, did have strict instructions not to wait once they had unloaded their troops. The life jackets would have piled up uselessly on the beach

EDIT: God, I could just empty-quote this whole thing:

quote:

One single main exercise was carried out, just off Boulogne. Fifty vessels were used, and to enable the observers to actually observe, the exercise was carried out in broad daylight. (The real thing was due to take place at night/dawn, remember).

The vessels marshalled about a mile out to sea, and cruised parallel to the coast. The armada turned towards the coast (one barge capsizing, and another losing its tow) and approached and landed. The barges opened, and soldiers swarmed ashore.

However, it was noted that the masters of the boats let the intervals between the vessels become wider and wider, because they were scared of collisions. Half the barges failed to get their troops ashore within an hour of the first troops, and over 10% failed to reach the shore at all.

The troops in the barges managed to impede the sailors in a remarkable manner - in one case, a barge overturned because the troops rushed to one side when another barge "came too close".

Several barges grounded broadside on, preventing the ramp from being lowered.

In this exercise, carried out in good visibility, with no enemy, in good weather, after travelling only a short distance, with no navigation hazards or beach defences, less than half the troops were got ashore where they could have done what they were supposed to do.

The exercise was officially judged to have been a "great success".

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 8, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"And even then, you have to be willing to put some trust in your regional governors - the leaders who run the frontier outposts that lie well outside your sphere of influence. At any given moment, you only have direct control over a handful of your systems. As in real life, there could well be a corrupt governor plotting a coup behind your back, or if you're lucky, simply taking bribes under the table."

I'd love to hear more about this. It sounds very CK2. Does this mean we will have a set number of systems we can directly micro-manage, and beyond then it's all vassals ? Does this number of core systems relate to technology, government, something else?

I WANT TO KNOW MORE

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I try not to get too hype about video games before they are released, but at this point I'm fully prepared to offer my life to Stellaris.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

GlitchThief posted:

I try not to get too hype about video games before they are released, but at this point I'm fully prepared to offer my life to Stellaris.

Same but I have to admit I've been prepared for that since it was first announced.

Just release the drat game already :argh:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I kind of want to continue my LP into Stellaris, which is probably a bit premature considering I'm still waiting for HoI IV to come out. :v:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Did the Germans ever seriously consider Sea Lion? From what I've read it seems that they believed that defeating the Soviet Union and establishing mastery over continetal Europe would be enough to make the British sue for peace.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Empress Theonora posted:

I kind of want to continue my LP into Stellaris, which is probably a bit premature considering I'm still waiting for HoI IV to come out. :v:

Why wait? Mod a Jules Verne moon cannon into Victoria 2 and get started early.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Randarkman posted:

Did the Germans ever seriously consider Sea Lion? From what I've read it seems that they believed that defeating the Soviet Union and establishing mastery over continetal Europe would be enough to make the British sue for peace.

They weren't really sure when the UK would sue for peace and they kept changing their expectations when we, well, didn't sue for peace. Hitler originally hoped we might not honor our agreement with Poland, then assumed we'd bail once we saw how quickly the Low Countries and France fell, then thought we would sue if we lost the air war, (hence the Battle of Britain) then they thought terror bombing might do it, and they were lining up an invasion as a last resort. They were actually getting started on the barges they would use to cross the Channel, before either someone managed to convince Hitler that it was a terrible and insane idea, or he changed his own mind on it. Most of the high command knew it was stupid af (including Raeder and Goering, who were the two guys whom responsibility for Operation Sea Lion rested) but there were enough Nazis crazy enough to believe it could work that at least some serious work was done in planning and preparation, yeah.

The idea that after beating the reds Britain would sue for peace was a development of their ongoing shifting of "how do we make these assholes stop fighting us, mein gott?" and had finally settled on the belief that with a fait accompli of a Nazi Europe we'd see there wasn't much point in carrying on and talk terms.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mister Adequate posted:

They weren't really sure when the UK would sue for peace and they kept changing their expectations when we, well, didn't sue for peace. Hitler originally hoped we might not honor our agreement with Poland, then assumed we'd bail once we saw how quickly the Low Countries and France fell, then thought we would sue if we lost the air war, (hence the Battle of Britain) then they thought terror bombing might do it, and they were lining up an invasion as a last resort. They were actually getting started on the barges they would use to cross the Channel, before either someone managed to convince Hitler that it was a terrible and insane idea, or he changed his own mind on it. Most of the high command knew it was stupid af (including Raeder and Goering, who were the two guys whom responsibility for Operation Sea Lion rested) but there were enough Nazis crazy enough to believe it could work that at least some serious work was done in planning and preparation, yeah.

The idea that after beating the reds Britain would sue for peace was a development of their ongoing shifting of "how do we make these assholes stop fighting us, mein gott?" and had finally settled on the belief that with a fait accompli of a Nazi Europe we'd see there wasn't much point in carrying on and talk terms.

IIRC They also lost a lot of barges they stockpiled in France + the Low Countries to bombing raids by allied aircraft.

Edit: This pushed back any invasion timetable, which conflicted with other plans (Barbarossa, etc).

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm personally hoping that there can be an adequate representation of space syndicalism.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm personally hoping that there can be an adequate representation of space syndicalism.

Space Kaiserreich :getin:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pikestaff posted:

Space Kaiserreich :getin:

Custom world scenarios are going to be the poo poo!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love something where on starting a new game you had a sort of pre-warp minigame that shaped how your nation starts the game. Maybe a sort of CYOA style set of choices about how your nation got through it's history and got to where it is when it starts the game. For earth human it would ask actual historical questions, allowing for crazy kaiserreich style histories.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love something where on starting a new game you had a sort of pre-warp minigame that shaped how your nation starts the game. Maybe a sort of CYOA style set of choices about how your nation got through it's history and got to where it is when it starts the game. For earth human it would ask actual historical questions, allowing for crazy kaiserreich style histories.

Distant Worlds did the pre-warp thing and it wasn't really good at all. At most it's an hour of slowboating it to the relic sites in your system and waiting for the god awful research cost on the first jump drive. Basically once you get through the first two FTL tech's it just broke into the regular old tech tree.

If Distant Worlds had better balanced warp drives where the difference between each one isn't miniscule and you can't traverse huge galaxy in 30 seconds in the mid game I think it would have made it a lot more enjoyable and actually given refueling stations a point.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Distant Worlds did the pre-warp thing and it wasn't really good at all. At most it's an hour of slowboating it to the relic sites in your system and waiting for the god awful research cost on the first jump drive. Basically once you get through the first two FTL tech's it just broke into the regular old tech tree.

If Distant Worlds had better balanced warp drives where the difference between each one isn't miniscule and you can't traverse huge galaxy in 30 seconds in the mid game I think it would have made it a lot more enjoyable and actually given refueling stations a point.
Yeah, playing pre-warp doesn't sound great, but a pre-warp CYOA sounds amazing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

junidog posted:

Yeah, playing pre-warp doesn't sound great, but a pre-warp CYOA sounds amazing.

It would be a funny way to create your race. Like the old question/answer character creation in games like Ultima or the early Elder Scrolls.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Could lead to cool situations. Maybe your world developed rapidly but was unified by a massive nuclear war, so you start the game with some bonus tech but a low starting population and a world full of irradiated ruined that need to be cleaned up. Maybe your race has only recently formed a planetary government and is still very politically diverse so your POPs start with a lot of radically different ideologies which means you'll be needing to worry about unity earlier on, and a lot of those POPs that don't curently match the official government line will be first at the gates trying to immigrate to new colonies. Maybe your race has never been interested in space that much and focused on making a utopia on their homeworld before they had any interest or need for space travel, so your start with a nicer planet and maybe some bonus social techs but are behind on physics/engines research.

Like I mentioned before, I loved starting pre-warp in moo2 and basically avoiding the space travel techs as long as I could. I'd sometimes have soil enrichment and automated factories before I knew how to build my first scout, I'd imagine that was because my race saw they had a big nice homeworld and aliens probably didn't exist in the universe so what's the rush?? Let's max out our home world before wasting research points on silly things like FTL travel, specially when there's perfectly fine planets to colonize in our own home system.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
DW pre-warp is goddamn pointless. You spend 30 minutes researching the same handful of techs as you unlock the first warp drive which gives you the range to explore like 5-10 systems near you and you can start exploring. Then you unlock the second warp tech which gives you the range to explore like 80% of the galaxy.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

What's fun is that you get huge amounts of bonus income from the pre warp events so you can set your tax rate to zero.

Once in blue moon something would act weird and your home planets population would max out then you laugh your rear end off with a fleet larger than anything anyone else can afford.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It's kind of odd that being xenophobic would actually prohibit passive observation. I mean, sure, they might not have any real moral qualms about picking up a few xenos for vivisection, but still, that doesn't necessarily make it obligatory.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I would like for games of different types (xenophobic death empire vs multispecies mass effect un) to play significantly differently though so maybe excluding things that don't necessarily make sense is for the better. I'm interested by the idea.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strudel Man posted:

It's kind of odd that being xenophobic would actually prohibit passive observation. I mean, sure, they might not have any real moral qualms about picking up a few xenos for vivisection, but still, that doesn't necessarily make it obligatory.

Maybe it means your people can't even wrap their heads around other species being sentient creatures with cultures or feelings. They are disgusting horrifying creatures to be dissected, but trying to passively study their culture?? How would one even stomach such a thing? What could possibly be gained from that? They are worthless parasites infesting potential colony sites, what is there to study other than the best ways to kill them?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it means your people can't even wrap their heads around other species being sentient creatures with cultures or feelings. They are disgusting horrifying creatures to be dissected, but trying to passively study their culture?? How would one even stomach such a thing? What could possibly be gained from that? They are worthless parasites infesting potential colony sites, what is there to study other than the best ways to kill them?
Studying social organization seems pretty valuable even from a purely military perspective, though.

As does "not alerting them to our presence until we're ready to act."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every living creature in the universe is simply a suit of meat to wear to the Great Yeerk Commune. They survive because we will it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm kind of sad that I have to use ground troops to clear filthy xenos instead of just slagging the planet and turning it into a moon colony pretty much. But whatever, it would probably be really unbalanced if some rear end in a top hat could just send a large scouting fleet around to glass all the habitable worlds that are too far to colonize just to deny them to everyone else.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm kind of sad that I have to use ground troops to clear filthy xenos instead of just slagging the planet and turning it into a moon colony pretty much. But whatever, it would probably be really unbalanced if some rear end in a top hat could just send a large scouting fleet around to glass all the habitable worlds that are too far to colonize just to deny them to everyone else.

Maybe with that empire's permission...

"Hello, new friends! We, the Molten Slag Death Fleet would like to offer you terraforming services for your colonies. For a reasonable price, of course!"
<later>
"To be fair, we didn't specify the exact nature of our terraforming services."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Hey, if there's a guy from Paradox reading this thread, you may definitely want to check out this site because I'm not entirely sure about it's legality. It's notable because it pretty much completely copies a bunch of stuff from the history folders of various paradox games, right down to the culture names and nation colors ... although I can't really say it does it very well, which these screenshots stand as a testament to:

(Note the date on the latter picture!)