Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I've been thinking, we was all promised something good, but in the end what we got was something bad and different, this is catfishing.

or in this case, Chucklefishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

You can teleport directly to racial flags, iirc.

I'm going to patiently wait for touch damage to be modded back out of the game (for the second time, what a concept) before I so much as touch this update. It's a shame, I was actually really excited for this because all of the new weapon/gun skills are actually a good idea and a step in the right direction. I thought "hey, maybe they've finally pulled their head out of their rear end and figured out that fun things are good," and then that happened. It's like a loving burrito of good ideas wrapped in a sticky, bitter tortilla of spite.

This game is always finding new ways to surprise and disappoint me, but I guess that in itself is impressive.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Can someone post/link this? If not for this one drat stupid thing, this sounds like it'd be a pretty good patch.

quote:

That results in a great deal of heavy path finding, and path finding on procedural terrain is never great

However, the only way to ensure most of those projectiles were threatening was to have them aim directly at and travel directly to the player. Otherwise the vast majority of them would end up hitting the terrain.

it produces a wave, with alternating safe spots and dangerous spots. Producing this same damage region on the screen without damage on touch would be near impossible.

Attempting to correctly execute these mechanics on procedural terrain would be an excersize in frustration.

if this isn't admitting you have no idea what you're doing, i don't know what is

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Prop Wash posted:

if this isn't admitting you have no idea what you're doing, i don't know what is

I keep trying to come up with a nuanced response to this in my head but they all boil down to "yup basically".

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Honestly, the game's at the point where I'd suggest it to friends. This isnt nearly as horrible as before.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Just launched the game to see the new combat. no longer have my home world saved so i lost 99% of my stuff. combat sucks. me no rikey.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They really need to release some kind of documentation for modders that they update with every patch to tell us what's different. I just spend the past two or three hours updating my race mod to meet the standards of the vanilla races and I can't figure out why my race doesn't show up in-game. I can't see anything different about my files, other modded races show up just fine, and the log is telling me absolutely nothing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SovietPotatoe posted:

Hey, I was curious if you could shed some light on some of the design process behind this update. You guys removed damage on touch with the previous combat update but now you added it back in, why is that? I mean is this some divisive topic with half the dev team wanting it in and the other half not or something? Why the back and forth?
There is no design document.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Server's back up for the update, made a thread for the server in private games. Please continue to not play this game.

IP: 24.230.42.128
Account: guest
Pass: alpaca

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

funniest part of the new patch is that the damage on touch makes all these special abilities worthless since enemies will just walk through them into you dealing constant damage and killing you in 1.5 seconds.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Whenever they release a new patch I always start fresh just to see if the game flows any different, and let me tell you...
Making you dig to the center of the very first, most boring planet for some orange rocks you only use like 2 or 3 times all game is still by far the most annoying garbage ever. You should only need to spend 10 to 15 minutes tops on that planet to learn the controls and maby mine some iron or copper. It wouldn't be so bad if you could use core fragments to upgrade your teleporter to beam you up from further into a planets core so you only need to experience climbing back up once to apriciat not needing to do it again.

Edit: maby next year when they release the next patch.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Kly posted:

funniest part of the new patch is that the damage on touch makes all these special abilities worthless since enemies will just walk through them into you dealing constant damage and killing you in 1.5 seconds.

Best way to handle combat given the context of the game and all...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be honest, a lot of the changes do sound nice.

except for the damage on touch. just do what a million people have said and make it so that some random enemies actually can do damage on touch and show that on their sprite. jesus. why is this apparently so difficult.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

You can never ride the sand dunes again in Starbound for it was a Good Thing and here at Chucklefish they just can't have that.

Sand riding was basically the only thing that made it distinctive.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Damage on touch does indeed suck cocks. I like how your gear boosts your attack power though now, I've never felt like I'm at the dreaded "gently caress 3 hits and I die from full HP" feeling while still feeling competitive enough to last until I can upgrade my gear. I think the hit as close to a sweet spot as they're going to in that regard.

Currently have a Human in full Durasteel poo poo. Guns are ehhh... too much energy drain still, they need to let go and just lower energy costs by another 25-50% and say gently caress it. Spear with Flurry kicks rear end. Hammer's knockback is sweet as gently caress too.

Also want to note, enemy humanoids DO need to hit you still rather than use the lame touch-attack poo poo. This is cool and good. They need to actually swing their weapon and connect to do damage.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

are enemies still random?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kly posted:

I think a few are but the vast majority are not, thankfully

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kly posted:

there are unique monsters now, but random monsters are also still a thing

also i was thinking back on symphony of the night, which had damage on touch, and really the only reason that 'worked' was due to the fact that every part of that game was deliberately designed the way it was. things could be built around the way enemies worked and you never really ran into the issue of damage blobs hopping around procedurally generated cliffs. also, you know, there wasn't any poo poo like walking slower when going backwards.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Silento Boborachi posted:

Server's back up for the update, made a thread for the server in private games. Please continue to not play this game.

IP: 24.230.42.128
Account: guest
Pass: alpaca

added to the OP

I'll update the OP for the patch probably sometime tomorrow and add in new pics so get 'em posted!!!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hey remember how the entire point of the game's design/file structure was ostensibly so that a semblance of coherency could be kept even between major updates, which would mean players wouldn't lose their characters, and mods from one version would keep on working into the next?
Yeah. What happened to that?

Not having to update mods is something that is game-changing. Installing a mod and then having it forever is huge. Now, I get it, if it changes something that's not in the game anymore, like a gun mod and they take out guns. But the whole point of consistent files was so that modders and mod users could have a much easier time with it. So what the gently caress?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does this game work with Steam Workshop yet?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

lol the forums got hacked

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Any details?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/StarboundGame

Not much yet, just "it happened" and "we promise you definitely don't need to change your password, but you should probably change your password asap."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
This has BRAWW and Eonwe written all over it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

http://imgur.com/SqejvJw

There's the first Challenge Area I entered.

http://imgur.com/Ttq1UQb

Floran temple. Had good loot on the far left and far right.

http://imgur.com/mZ9cDed

WAR STINX

Whats his account name hahahahAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

Gonna try to colonize an area today and see how that works out.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

My reaction time was not quick enough for a photo, but I found an avian airship on a magma world. It lasted approximately 10 seconds, not even enough time for me to get to the quartermaster, before a meteor shower blew it to pieces, and then the bouncing fire rain effect came in and burnt the majority of the backwall. Surprisingly, most of the crew survived and are now stranded on the surface. Here's the aftermath:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cicadas! posted:

lol the forums got hacked

Apparently what happened is someone got into an Admin account and just started deleting poo poo lol

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There should be a race of Dog People, maybe replace the humans with dogs but keep their dialogue the same? Just throwing some ideas out there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's a p decent idea. I think there's a modded race of wolf dudes that just use human stuff for all of their tech (armors, weapons, ships, furniture, etc.) but the forums are still down so I can't check.

Making humans dog people would be so, so easy. It's almost literally just modifying the base head file and some of their skin color choices.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Maybe there should be Novakid villages, except the ones that aren't wild west villages would be caveman settlements of violent novakids

I mean, neither will happen, but it's a good idea, eh?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Babe Magnet posted:

That's a p decent idea. I think there's a modded race of wolf dudes that just use human stuff for all of their tech (armors, weapons, ships, furniture, etc.) but the forums are still down so I can't check.

Making humans dog people would be so, so easy. It's almost literally just modifying the base head file and some of their skin color choices.

As long as they have little naked men as pets

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

lol you can't energy dash in mid-air anymore

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

some enemies go into an invincible state after being hit (little rock monsters) but they still hurt you if you touch them.
also I got to what I assume was the end of the first dungeon to get your FTL on and the door just dropped me into a pit that killed me immediately. have to do the entire dungeon again.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

King Lazer posted:

:mediocre:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Reiley posted:

There should be a race of Dog People, maybe replace the humans with dogs but keep their dialogue the same?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

King Lazer posted:

what???

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

They must have finally realized jumping dashes let you travel faster than walking, especially when doing it downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

holy lol, hosed up if true

I feel like they'd rather be playing this game than making it. The best changes are always art related, and every update seems to have new biomes or mini dungeons, cause they just want to build stuff that looks cool rather than work on systems.

• Locked thread