Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hope you guys enjoy paying through the rear end in a top hat for fibre internet.

If Justin really wanted to do something to help both "middle class" Canadians and Canada's economy at the same time he could start by forcing our lovely telecom oligopoly to get in line with Europe in terms of speed and pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Kind of a dick move for the NDP to not clear with or credit the author of the meme they slapped on their press release.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That is hilarious though.

Email K.C. Green that picture.

VVEdit: Yes, I often forget that Twitter exists.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 9, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

infernal machines posted:

That is hilarious though.

Email K.C. Green that picture.

he already knows about it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If it makes anyone feel any better, mental health care is better in Ontario than in Australia. I don't know if I've ever heard of a private psychiatrist charging $400/hour like I've seen in Oz. On the other hand, if you can get accreditation to practice psychiatry in Australia, it must be a license to print money.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Dark One posted:

Kind of a dick move for the NDP to not clear with or credit the author of the meme they slapped on their press release.

:drat:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Professor Shark posted:

Suicides are up 30% in Alberta and the Crisis Line is being flooded with calls, especially with Christmas coming up

Well well well

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

McGavin posted:

Hope you guys enjoy paying through the rear end in a top hat for fibre internet.

If Justin really wanted to do something to help both "middle class" Canadians and Canada's economy at the same time he could start by forcing our lovely telecom oligopoly to get in line with Europe in terms of speed and pricing.

There's no chance. Both America and Canada are in the same boat when it comes to telecomms (three companies run everything as a cartel). And Europe used to be just as bad too. The only thing that fixed Europe's problem was forced competition created by the opening of markets as a result of the EU. There is very very little chance of that happening in Canada or the US, especially since an EU-style opening of the Canadian and American markets to each other wouldn't fix the problem here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Coylter posted:

The fact of the matter is that these are prisoners and we have a large population of PT6As who legitimately give no gently caress about them.

I mean its scary how casually most people bring out the prison rape jokes.

Say what? I think the treatment of prisoners is an important issue that most of the world needs to do significant work on, and you will not hear me say, now or ever, that prison rape is a good thing. We should be committed to eliminating it, as with all other forms of rape. The post on that subject that got me probated was an acknowledgement that it happens, not voicing suport for the concept.

Again, people: if you're going to attack me, attack me for views I actually hold.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What we need is some entrepreneneurs to crack open the Telecom market with some Disruptive Innovation

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

People killing themselves is funny and good because of my political feelings.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Do it ironically posted:

People killing themselves is funny and good because of my political feelings.

Cultural Imperial vs Do it ironically

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Eej posted:

What we need is some entrepreneneurs to crack open the Telecom market with some Disruptive Innovation to nationalize Bell, Telus, Rogers and Shaw and hang their executives

Agreed.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
If we nationalize them it will mean that the federal government will.own the maple leafs.

....which from a revenue standpoint isn't that bad of an idea. However everyone in the PMO is a habs fan. Also not a bad idea. Permanent leaf failure.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you just seize the infrastructure and otherwise leave the telecoms alone? Let the government worry about burying cables and poo poo while ISPs duke it out to see who can offer the best deal on internet.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canadians bitching about their internet is so loving lol. Wait until you have to deal with UK or US isps.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's amazing to me that the US has it worse than us for Internet, but having heard a few of my American friends talk about comcast/verizon it is in fact much worse. Somehow.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Cultural Imperial posted:

Canadians bitching about their internet is so loving lol. Wait until you have to deal with UK or US isps.

Other people have it worse so we shouldn't push to make our situation better, got it

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dreylad posted:

It's amazing to me that the US has it worse than us for Internet, but having heard a few of my American friends talk about comcast/verizon it is in fact much worse. Somehow.

I had datacaps in Ontario I don't in Illinois, that is a huge deal with streaming media (Netflix and Prime Video). All Service providers are terrible, datacaps make everything worse.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
gently caress you internet, its okay I'm ethnic amish

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Indolent Bastard posted:

I had datacaps in Ontario I don't in Illinois, that is a huge deal with streaming media (Netflix and Prime Video). All Service providers are terrible, datacaps make everything worse.

Data caps from Canadian ISPs are not in place because of lack of capacity, they are in place to stymie consumption of over the top services.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jm20 posted:

Data caps from Canadian ISPs are not in place because of lack of capacity, they are in place to stymie consumption of over the top services.

I know, which makes the practice even worse. 5% of users use 90% of the bandwidth, so what? Why punish me for my high consumption, it all averages out. Assholes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

DariusLikewise posted:

Other people have it worse so we shouldn't push to make our situation better, got it

No I'm saying you're all tripping on your parochial world views brah

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I for one look forward to trying to convince the government that building out the capacity to support nationwide Goon-Approved internet speeds with no caps or congestion issues over fibre or whatever HyperHoloNet technology succeeds it is a national priority.

Maybe the Toronto crew can hop on the Downtown Relief Line to Union to catch a VIA bullet train up to Ottawa to speak before a parliamentary committee!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

A good post. :respek:

The Liberals dont have any better of a track record in terms of increasing funding or awareness for mental health though. Might actually be worse with the deep cuts theyve done in the past to our health care systems across the country. :smith:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/mental-health-unit-closing-at-st-joe-s-union-warns-of-more-cuts-1.3349914

I also like how we are about to start bringing in more refugees, many of whom are more than likely going to be suffering from mental illnesses like PTSD, with no loving way to support that either.

e: vvv I spent 2 months doing a placement at CAMH (and plan on working there once registered) and I found it to be a pretty amazing place that does quite a lot of good work. Its just very understaffed and underfunded. Like most of our health care system.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was posting a lunatic's comment from a CBC article. Like Naqvi said, the spots needed have doubled over the past 10 years, OLP has been in power for 12. He's kind of saying that it's all happened under their watch and they've done nothing to address it? My one criticism of the video was that it's not immediately obvious that Naqvi is responsible for overseeing this mess rather than just another person pointing out problems.

That mental health center is getting the same budgetary pressure as all the other hospitals, it's awful that they can't even match inflation and brutal that it's going to get much worse. I'm new to progressive policies though, maybe it'll all turn out fine.

A nice graph going in the opposite direction of aging boomers. Take into account that hospitals are also paying way more on electricity and American supplies to stay even.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario-budget-continues-hard-line-on-health-care-in-bid-to-tackle-deficit/article24094494/ posted:

Ontario has been putting the squeeze on health care for the past three years, but this year the Liberals are moving from a squeeze to a chokehold. They are projecting overall spending growth of just 1.2 per cent on hospitals, doctors and other services – an increase that is less than half the size of last year’s and well short of inflation and population growth.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 9, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Well they don't own the infrastructure.

As a Teksavvy user, I'm like 90% happy with their service. The 10% where I'm not is when it's unclear if there's a cable/service issue and Tek/Rogers pass you back and forth like its loving Wimbledon. The issue could and would be solved if infrastructure was publicly owned and telecoms just competed for plans.

Either way, hang all Bell executives. Thank you everyone, I'm now going to go outside and yell at the clouds.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

P.S. anyone who is in Canada and has the ability to get Teksavvy and isn't doing it is a complete and utter moron. The big three's service for home internet is literally worse in every single way and costs more, and yet somehow Teksavvy doesn't rule the market.

I would think that Bell/Rogers/Shaw/Telus would have you ship back all the rental poo poo and then disconnect your dry loop purely out of spite, so that could serve as a deterrent. My parents' building recently made a deal with Rogers to be the exclusive provider of television service, and Bell's response was to get every tenant to ship back all the splitters and poo poo in every unit or else those tenants would have to pay to replace them. Even though the people living there had gently caress all to do with a decision the condo board had made months ago. What made it worse was my parents moved into the building before the decision was made, so they were suddenly on the hook for a bunch of equipment the previous tenant had installed--some of which had gone with them when they moved--without even realizing it. It took 3 months for Bell to eventually gently caress off about asking for the missing equipment without charging my parents for it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

.....dude I have been getting emails about "Turdeau" from oh so clever conservatives for 3 years now. Nothing new there.
Regarding the expat thing, I have no loving clue. I think it would be under democratic reform or citizenship mandates and they both are kinda busy atm. I'll poke some bushes tonight tho to see if I can get anything but no guarantee.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

.....dude I have been getting emails about "Turdeau" from oh so clever conservatives for 3 years now. Nothing new there.
Regarding the expat thing, I have no loving clue. I think it would be under democratic reform or citizenship mandates and they both are kinda busy atm. I'll poke some bushes tonight tho to see if I can get anything but no guarantee.

I should've known.

e: seriously though are there liberals out there who write like "Stephen Farter" every time they write Harper's name the same way there are conservatives who write "Turdeau" and "Obummer" every single time? Or is this a purely right wing thing?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

P. S. it is only a matter of time before some angry conservative makes the same typo as I did when I first wrote this and you start getting emails about "Turdeau" so be prepared.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I should've known.

e: seriously though are there liberals out there who write like "Stephen Farter" every time they write Harper's name the same way there are conservatives who write "Turdeau" and "Obummer" every single time? Or is this a purely right wing thing?

Just look at this thread. Usually they don't mangle the name but instead straight up call him "motherfucker" "dictator" "hitler" "supervillain" etc.

Have not seen anything mangling Mulcair ' name oddly.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Cultural Imperial posted:

No I'm saying you're all tripping on your parochial world views brah

Fair enough, in a vacuum though most people are just tired of large telecoms whining to the government while visibility gouging us.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

CTV: Home of Mike Duffy

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Constant Hamprince posted:

CTV: Home of Mike Duffy

Sure, but in which province?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DariusLikewise posted:

Fair enough, in a vacuum though most people are just tired of large telecoms whining to the government while visibility gouging us.

"We won't be able to remain competitive if you allow others to fairly compete with us. Please let us maintain our monopoly."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just look at this thread. Usually they don't mangle the name but instead straight up call him "motherfucker" "dictator" "hitler" "supervillain" etc.

It's because he does it to himself. "Healthcare. Pharmacare. Childcare. Mulcair." etc. There's nowhere for satire to go!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

bunnyofdoom posted:

Malware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was posting a lunatic's comment from a CBC article. Like Naqvi said, the spots needed have doubled over the past 10 years, OLP has been in power for 12. He's kind of saying that it's all happened under their watch and they've done nothing to address it? My one criticism of the video was that it's not immediately obvious that Naqvi is responsible for overseeing this mess rather than just another person pointing out problems.

Fair criticism of the video.

The issue goes beyond just housing them though, and so it's not entirely fair to Naqvi to say he's responsible for the mess. The prison population hasn't doubled over the last decade, it's actually declined a bit. What he's referring to is specifically the number of prisoners on remand. The number of people in sentenced custody is on a pretty serious decline, but it's being made up for by people on remand, and that's a problem that goes way beyond how they get housed. From what I've read this is more about a risk averse judiciary and a culture of adjournments and delays that clog up the court system and keep people in jail who would a decade ago have been awaiting trial in the community. That part is as much a federal problem as a provincial one.

vyelkin posted:

I'm in Illinois right now and I can confirm that it is way worse here. My landlord even provides internet and still it's somehow worse because any time I have to deal with Comcast it is just the worst.

P.S. anyone who is in Canada and has the ability to get Teksavvy and isn't doing it is a complete and utter moron. The big three's service for home internet is literally worse in every single way and costs more, and yet somehow Teksavvy doesn't rule the market.

That would be because Teksavvy is just as terrible as the big 3.